CSNbbs
Rutgers - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - East Team Talk (/forum-463.html)
+----- Forum: Kent State (/forum-474.html)
+----- Thread: Rutgers (/thread-594471.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Rutgers - dannyb73 - 10-21-2012 04:11 PM

Let's get the chatter going early this week. Would love to get to 7-1 although you have to figure this game will be pretty tough.

Vegas agrees as the opening line is KSU +11.5

RE: Rutgers - axeme - 10-21-2012 04:19 PM

We will need to play a lot better than we did this week. This will be a tough nut. While we are a whole lot better than we were down in Lexington, Rutgers is a WHOLE lot better than UK.

RE: Rutgers - ksu70 - 10-21-2012 05:21 PM

(10-21-2012 04:19 PM)axeme Wrote:  We will need to play a lot better than we did this week. This will be a tough nut. While we are a whole lot better than we were down in Lexington, Rutgers is a WHOLE lot better than UK.

I agree this will be quite a challege for us. I am not that familiar with Rutgers but it seems we have more trouble with a passing team than running team. For us to have a shot at winning this game I think the turnover margin must be at least +2 and our special teams must score once, Then I think we will have a shot.

RE: Rutgers - FlashFan - 10-21-2012 05:58 PM

A win over #15 at #15 is a LOOOONG shot. Keep in close and see what happens in Q4.

RE: Rutgers - cubuffsdoug - 10-21-2012 07:21 PM

(10-21-2012 05:21 PM)ksu70 Wrote:  
(10-21-2012 04:19 PM)axeme Wrote:  We will need to play a lot better than we did this week. This will be a tough nut. While we are a whole lot better than we were down in Lexington, Rutgers is a WHOLE lot better than UK.

I agree this will be quite a challege for us. I am not that familiar with Rutgers but it seems we have more trouble with a passing team than running team. For us to have a shot at winning this game I think the turnover margin must be at least +2 and our special teams must score once, Then I think we will have a shot.

Rutgers fan here. RU has the making of being a very good team, but at times the coaching staff plays conservative on offense and rely on the defense to carry the team. Only twice this season has the offense really opened up and scored at will. Both times RU was down by 10 at Arkansas and Temple. RU scored 35 points against Arkansas in a span of 25 minutes and against Temple RU scored 35 points in 16 minute to take control of both games.

RU offense has pro size with a few guys who should make all Big East. Soph. RB Jawan Jamison leads the Big East in rushing and is ranked in the top 10 nationally, but the receivers may be more dangerous if the staff lets them loose. Soph. Brandon Coleman is 6'6 220 and has score 11 TD in 18 games while average 20 yds a catch. The slot receiver is Sr. Tim Wright (6-4 220) who has some of the best hands on the time. He been a matchup problem for LB and safeties. The other deep threat is Mark Harrison (all-Big East '10) who stands 6'3 230 and is a burner. He's built like a TE, but runs like a receiver and RU loves to throw the deep routes to him. The TE DC Jefferson is a big boy 6'6 250 and just starting to come into his own. He was a QB with a world of athletic talent before the switch to TE. He's starting to understand the new position. The offensive line is like night and day from last year and the year before. In the past the OL couldn't open up holes for the backs or pass protect. This year they have given up on 4 sacks. Three of the sacks are intentional grounding, so the QB has stayed clean for the most part. The QB is Gary Nova who was the top QB coming out of NJ from HS national power Don Bosco Prep. He starting to live up to the hype he received from last year. He stats don't blow you away, but he has made all the throws when needed. Right now he's thrown for 1600 yds with 15 TD and 3 INT.

The defense is one of the best nationally. Rutgers' run defense is 3rd in the nation, 3rd in scoring defense and overall the defense is 14th. Also, they are tied 3rd nationally with your team in takeaways. RU has 4 returning 1st team all-Big East performer starting with DT Scott Vallone (most starts by anyone in the BE at 42), safety Duron Harmon, CB Logan Ryan (considered the best cover corner in the BE) and LB Khaseem Greene who the reigning BE defensive play of the year. Greene has received some preseason all-american pub from several media outlets. RU isn't the biggest defense, but it's fast and plays assignment football.

What helps RU to overwhelm teams is their special teams. Since 2009 RU has blocked more kicks (punts & FG) than any other team in the nation. Also, they are just ahead of your team in kick return as the #1 ranked unit.

RE: Rutgers - ksu70 - 10-21-2012 07:33 PM

(10-21-2012 07:21 PM)cubuffsdoug Wrote:  
(10-21-2012 05:21 PM)ksu70 Wrote:  

Rutgers fan here. RU has the making of being a very good team, but at times the coaching staff plays conservative on offense and rely on the defense to carry the team. Only twice this season has the offense really opened up and scored at will. Both times RU was down by 10 at Arkansas and Temple. RU scored 35 points against Arkansas in a span of 25 minutes and against Temple RU scored 35 points in 16 minute to take control of both games.

RU offense has pro size with a few guys who should make all Big East. Soph. RB Jawan Jamison leads the Big East in rushing and is ranked in the top 10 nationally, but the receivers may be more dangerous if the staff lets them loose. Soph. Brandon Coleman is 6'6 220 and has score 11 TD in 18 games while average 20 yds a catch. The slot receiver is Sr. Tim Wright (6-4 220) who has some of the best hands on the time. He been a matchup problem for LB and safeties. The other deep threat is Mark Harrison (all-Big East '10) who stands 6'3 230 and is a burner. He's built like a TE, but runs like a receiver and RU loves to throw the deep routes to him. The TE DC Jefferson is a big boy 6'6 250 and just starting to come into his own. He was a QB with a world of athletic talent before the switch to TE. He's starting to understand the new position. The offensive line is like night and day from last year and the year before. In the past the OL couldn't open up holes for the backs or pass protect. This year they have given up on 4 sacks. Three of the sacks are intentional grounding, so the QB has stayed clean for the most part. The QB is Gary Nova who was the top QB coming out of NJ from HS national power Don Bosco Prep. He starting to live up to the hype he received from last year. He stats don't blow you away, but he has made all the throws when needed. Right now he's thrown for 1600 yds with 15 TD and 3 INT.

The defense is one of the best nationally. Rutgers' run defense is 3rd in the nation, 3rd in scoring defense and overall the defense is 14th. Also, they are tied 3rd nationally with your team in takeaways. RU has 4 returning 1st team all-Big East performer starting with DT Scott Vallone (most starts by anyone in the BE at 42), safety Duron Harmon, CB Logan Ryan (considered the best cover corner in the BE) and LB Khaseem Greene who the reigning BE defensive play of the year. Greene has received some preseason all-american pub from several media outlets. RU isn't the biggest defense, but it's fast and plays assignment football.

What helps RU to overwhelm teams is their special teams. Since 2009 RU has blocked more kicks (punts & FG) than any other team in the nation. Also, they are just ahead of your team in kick return as the #1 ranked unit.

WOW thanks for the info, I knew you guys have been playing well but didnt realize your team was that big and veteran. We are looking forward to coming over and playing you guys and lets hope we have a hard-fought game free of injuries.

RE: Rutgers - dannyb73 - 10-22-2012 04:14 AM

Based on what CUBUFFSDOUG says, it should be a battle of wills. Who can run and who can stop the run? Hey CUBUFFSDOUG, what do you say to the handshake agreement that you kick to Dri Archer and we will kick to your guys?

If this game had been the week after the Kentucky game, I would say we were in big trouble. With the confidence we have now, combined with playmakers all over the field, this could be a competitive game down the stretch if we play mistake free football.

RE: Rutgers - cubuffsdoug - 10-22-2012 06:28 AM

(10-22-2012 04:14 AM)dannyb73 Wrote:  Based on what CUBUFFSDOUG says, it should be a battle of wills. Who can run and who can stop the run? Hey CUBUFFSDOUG, what do you say to the handshake agreement that you kick to Dri Archer and we will kick to your guys?

If this game had been the week after the Kentucky game, I would say we were in big trouble. With the confidence we have now, combined with playmakers all over the field, this could be a competitive game down the stretch if we play mistake free football.

Rutgers will kick to Archer partly due to the fact their regular kicker is out and the backup doesn't reach the endzone. There is an outside chance the starting kicker might return for this game. I expect a good game because both teams believe in their abilities. I don't know what kind of road team Kent St. is, but I do know RU leans heavy on the student section for support. So far this year the students, all 11,000 each game, hasn't fail them. Expect the game to be a sellout with 53/54K.

RU is going to try to pound Kent St. early and often regardless of the results. The idea is by the 4th quarter RU expects Kent St. to begin to wearing down due to the physical nature of the run game. Durham concerns me more than Archer because he's a big back and can punish RU's (265 lbs) DL. Archer will be at his best when he lines up in the slot hopeful not against a LB. If Kent St. has success with both it could be a long day for RU.

RE: Rutgers - Flashes Win Again - 10-22-2012 07:51 AM

This is the Gary Waters' revenge game!03-lmfao

RE: Rutgers - GoFlashes7 - 10-22-2012 08:13 AM

Here's Allen Moff's Inside the Filmroom with Darrel Hazell's in this morning's Record Courier.....Giving insite into injuries and what needs improved:

http://www.recordpub.com/news/sports_article/5223689?page=0

RE: Rutgers - cubuffsdoug - 10-22-2012 09:28 AM

(10-22-2012 07:51 AM)Flashes Win Again Wrote:  This is the Gary Waters' revenge game!03-lmfao

He caught a raw deal at Rutgers partly because he never accepted the fact he has to befriend the local HS coaches from NY and NJ. He's a good coach, but he never made headway with kids from NY and NJ in the recruiting game. His roster was full of Midwest kids and that didn't sit well with the old AD and boosters. NY and NJ turn out quality basketball players yearly and most never even bother to visit campus when Gary was the coach. Current Rutgers coach Mike Rice made a point to visit as many local NY and NJ schools as possible. Those visits are starting to payoff. Legend Bobby Hurley of St. Anthonys has sent 2 of his top players to RU in the last 2 seasons. Other local schools have sent players too. The '11 class RU signed was ranked 11th in the nation and every kid was either from NY or NJ with one from DC. RU has never had a ranked class before.

RE: Rutgers - goflashes04 - 10-22-2012 03:26 PM

From the star ledger (NJ.com)

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2012/10/rutgers_to_face_most_dynamic_o.html

RE: Rutgers - naeskent77 - 10-22-2012 07:13 PM

I know it's just another one of those computer rankings, but 4 MAC teams in top 35, including us.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/current_congrove_rankings.html

RE: Rutgers - GoFlashes7 - 10-22-2012 09:08 PM

Hazell press conference - 10/22/12: http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/fball/2012-13/videos/Oct_22_PC

RE: Rutgers - GoFlashes7 - 10-22-2012 09:09 PM

1 Team 1 Destiny recap of the WMU win: http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/fball/2012-13/videos/ONE_TEAM_ONE_DESTINY_-_Game_Seven_-_Western_Michigan

RE: Rutgers - GoFlashes7 - 10-22-2012 09:09 PM

Cortez, Durham, & Batton all receive MAC/National awards: http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/fball/2012-13/releases/Cortez_Durham_Batton

RE: Rutgers - GoFlashes7 - 10-22-2012 09:47 PM

Audio: 640 am WHLO & iHeart Radio

TV: BIG EAST Network/ESPN GamePlan/ESPN3

Gametime: 3:30 pm EST

Weather for gametime this Saturday in Piscataway NJ: low of 52 degrees, high of 67 degrees, 4mph wind, 10% chance of rain = beautiful day for a college football game (P.S. where was that weather for all day last Saturday?)

Kent State OFF/DEF National Rankings: http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2309/kent-state-golden-flashes

Rutgers OFF/DEF National Rankings: http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/164/rutgers-scarlet-knights

Rutgers is 3rd in the country in points allowed with 11.3, but 80th or above for offensive running/passing.....

RE: Rutgers - GoFlashes7 - 10-23-2012 12:19 AM

Rutgers preview in RC by Allen Moff:
http://www.recordpub.com/news/sports_article/5223800

RE: Rutgers - Sultan of Euphonistan - 10-23-2012 06:32 AM

I like the attitude of this player

“It’s great to be bowl eligible, don’t get me wrong,” said sophomore wide receiver Chris Humphrey. “But every time we watch film in our room, we see on the screen MAC champions. It doesn’t say bowl game.”

RE: Rutgers - GoFlashes7 - 10-23-2012 09:29 PM

Game 8 KSU Football Depth Chart vs Rutgers: http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/fball/2012-13/files/ksu_depth.pdf