CSNbbs
Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? (/thread-582761.html)

Pages: 1 2

Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - TripleA - 08-18-2012 05:21 PM

http://www.bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2012-articles/august/big-east-commissioner-michael-aresco-tv-negotiations-cbs-sports-nbc-sports-espn.html

It's a few days old now, but I haven't seen it before (MiddleTiger sent me the link). It makes some good points about CBS perhaps taking a bigger role than had previously been thought. One more potential positive development, lol.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - General Mike - 08-18-2012 06:26 PM

Maybe a few more games in basketball for the OTA, but their sports network is in far less homes then NBC SN and they are all full on the football side.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - Attackcoog - 08-18-2012 06:38 PM

(08-18-2012 05:21 PM)TripleA Wrote:  http://www.bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2012-articles/august/big-east-commissioner-michael-aresco-tv-negotiations-cbs-sports-nbc-sports-espn.html

It's a few days old now, but I haven't seen it before (MiddleTiger sent me the link). It makes some good points about CBS perhaps taking a bigger role than had previously been thought. One more potential positive development, lol.

I'd be interested if it was CBS over the air---but no thanks to CBS-Sports. Too little exposure for that to be our primary carrier. If we could split our package so that we had a game on NBC-ota and a game on CBS-ota with the remainer on NBC-Sports----well that would be pretty awesome.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - adcorbett - 08-18-2012 06:40 PM

I long surmised that CBS and turner may be involved together, since they already work together on the NCAA tournament. NBC seems to want football but have not seem them leak much in the way of plans for basketball. Turner would like basketball to compliment their NCAA coverage and as a way to better utilliize Tru TV, which has the same number of clearances as ESPN, but does not draw great ratings. It also allows TBS and TNT, who show mostly reruns during the winter (albeit high rated reruns) to have a better tool to promote their huge investment, and allows them to renegotiate carriage fees (both have it written in their contracts they can renegotiate their carriage rates if they add sport). I'd love to see a tier 1/2 arrangement utilizing all three Network partners. CBS currently only broadcasts one SEC game most weeks, so it is feasible to be paired with them in a double header possibly in the non-double header weeks (I believe there are 2 double headers, with one being a prime time game). Realistically I'd prefer Tuner/CBS over NBC anyway.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - FriarTuck420 - 08-18-2012 07:15 PM

I'm not sure if CBS will be having a larger role in the conference TV at all, but I like that speculation.
It seems like the hire is one that has got a lot of high level attention.

What seems to not be getting much attention is the looming lockout for hockey and what that means to NBC Sports and their inventory. I know hockey isnt a big draw, but the ratings boost it has received over the past two seasons has made it a valuable asset.

Loosing that programming could put NBC in a tough spot.

So if CBS is on board with bidding for the content then that means -
NBC - CNBC - NBC SPORTS
CBS - TNT - TBS - TruTV
FOX - FOX Sports NET -
ESPN- ABC - ESPN 2 - ESPN 3

all have the ability to give the big east a proper showcase.

The NBC deal seems like the best for our collective greedy aspirations.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - KnightLight - 08-18-2012 07:30 PM

(08-18-2012 07:15 PM)FriarTuck420 Wrote:  I'm not sure if CBS will be having a larger role in the conference TV at all, but I like that speculation.
It seems like the hire is one that has got a lot of high level attention.

What seems to not be getting much attention is the looming lockout for hockey and what that means to NBC Sports and their inventory. I know hockey isnt a big draw, but the ratings boost it has received over the past two seasons has made it a valuable asset.

Loosing that programming could put NBC in a tough spot.

So if CBS is on board with bidding for the content then that means -
NBC - CNBC - NBC SPORTS
CBS - TNT - TBS - TruTV
FOX - FOX Sports NET -
ESPN- ABC - ESPN 2 - ESPN 3

all have the ability to give the big east a proper showcase.

The NBC deal seems like the best for our collective greedy aspirations.

While all of them could TRY to give the Big East a "proper" showcase...no, most actually can not.

For Football:

ESPN can't...as Big East will always remain their 6th property in regards to landing top primetime spots...well behind the priority of ESPN's other properties (SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, Pac-12)

CBS Sports cant' offer the "proper" showcase because their sports channel is in just over half as many homes as NBC Sports. (Turner has their NBA contract..and currently do not televise any college football games).

Same for FOX Sports Net...as those regional affiliates already have Priority contracts with their loca MLB, NBA, & NHL teams...offer not many time slots or even dates for Big East Coverage in BOTH football or basketball.

NBC just launched their Sports Network back on Jan 1...and while NBC just finished the London Olympic Games...they will also have

2014 Winter Olympic Games (Russia)

2016 Summer Olympic Games (Brazil)

2018 Winter Olympic Games

2020 Summer Olympic Games

NBC & NBC Sports as of now seems to be the best partner in backing & support, that will give Big East Football (maybe basketball too) PRIORITY with good (NBC Sports) to great (NBC) reach.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - adcorbett - 08-18-2012 08:23 PM

(08-18-2012 07:15 PM)FriarTuck420 Wrote:  What seems to not be getting much attention is the looming lockout for hockey and what that means to NBC Sports and their inventory.

The NHL are fools if they allow that to happen again. They ratings used to be near NBA levels and now it's like Home and Garden channel level.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - adcorbett - 08-18-2012 08:28 PM

(08-18-2012 07:30 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  CBS Sports cant' offer the "proper" showcase because their sports channel is in just over half as many homes as NBC Sports. (Turner has their NBA contract..and currently do not televise any college football games).

Turner only has NBA games on Thursday on TNT, so they do have plenty of time slots should they choose it. TBS did carry college football a couple of years back, and they promoted the **** out of it. TNT and TBS do serious cross promotion, and both regularly raw higher average prime time ratings than ESPN, so that's plenty of eyeballs to cross promote with.

(08-18-2012 07:30 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  NBC just launched their Sports Network back on Jan 1...and while NBC just finished the London Olympic Games...they will also have

Note that they did not just launch their sports channel. They just changed the name back on Jan 1. It has been around in its current format for about 6 years when it changed from Outdoor Life Network to "Versus" and became a full sports network.

Re: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - MiddleTiger - 08-18-2012 09:01 PM

Part of the value of the BE to NBC is the ability to increase the subscriptions to their all sports cable network. This same allure applies to CBS. If they can use the BE to leverage increased carriage, it is valuable to them too. Both networks have a tentpole property, the SEC for CBS and Notre Dame for NBC, to build off of. The two differences are current subscriptions, CBS has 45M, NBC has much more at 79M, and has the Comcast RSN's, but CBS does have Turner to share with. The most important element is a potential new bidder. The more bidders, the bigger the deal.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - General Mike - 08-18-2012 09:16 PM

(08-18-2012 09:01 PM)MiddleTiger Wrote:  Part of the value of the BE to NBC is the ability to increase the subscriptions to their all sports cable network. This same allure applies to CBS. If they can use the BE to leverage increased carriage, it is valuable to them too. Both networks have a tentpole property, the SEC for CBS and Notre Dame for NBC, to build off of. The two differences are current subscriptions, CBS has 45M, NBC has much more at 79M, and has the Comcast RSN's, but CBS does have Turner to share with. The most important element is a potential new bidder. The more bidders, the bigger the deal.

Neither one of those properties are a tentpole property for the respective sports networks tho, because they don't get any live sports programming out of them.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - TampaKnight - 08-18-2012 09:17 PM

Would love a CBS/Fox agreement for football, and ESPN for basketball.

Re: RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - MiddleTiger - 08-18-2012 09:23 PM

(08-18-2012 09:16 PM)General Mike Wrote:  
(08-18-2012 09:01 PM)MiddleTiger Wrote:  Part of the value of the BE to NBC is the ability to increase the subscriptions to their all sports cable network. This same allure applies to CBS. If they can use the BE to leverage increased carriage, it is valuable to them too. Both networks have a tentpole property, the SEC for CBS and Notre Dame for NBC, to build off of. The two differences are current subscriptions, CBS has 45M, NBC has much more at 79M, and has the Comcast RSN's, but CBS does have Turner to share with. The most important element is a potential new bidder. The more bidders, the bigger the deal.

Neither one of those properties are a tentpole property for the respective sports networks tho, because they don't get any live sports programming out of them.

NBC has already said they would program around ND and I would expect CBS to do the same and use both as promotional vehicles for their cable networks and likely brand it like ABC has done with "ESPN on ABC".

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - General Mike - 08-18-2012 09:47 PM

(08-18-2012 09:23 PM)MiddleTiger Wrote:  

NBC has already said they would program around ND and I would expect CBS to do the same and use both as promotional vehicles for their cable networks and likely brand it like ABC has done with "ESPN on ABC".

You can't program around ND when you don't show any games on that network. CBS Sports Network is in minimal homes and on premium tiers because the programming they have is stuff only the diehards want. NBC has rights to Notre Dame, but without having any games on NBC SN, they aren't going to increase their carriage rates or their fees because of it. Now, if they did decide to put a couple ND games on the SN, then that would help them.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - TripleA - 08-18-2012 10:06 PM

I don't think that guy is suggesting that CBS will jump in and grab the whole thing. I doubt anybody does that. Not NBC, not ESPN, etc. He even said he thought NBC was still the favorite.

But I don't think any one network is going to take everything, so the fact that CBS might want a bigger piece of the pie than anybody thought, or any piece, to be frank, has got to help our negotiating position.

Just more good news.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - TripleA - 08-18-2012 10:08 PM

(08-18-2012 09:47 PM)General Mike Wrote:  
(08-18-2012 09:23 PM)MiddleTiger Wrote:  

You can't program around ND when you don't show any games on that network. CBS Sports Network is in minimal homes and on premium tiers because the programming they have is stuff only the diehards want. NBC has rights to Notre Dame, but without having any games on NBC SN, they aren't going to increase their carriage rates or their fees because of it. Now, if they did decide to put a couple ND games on the SN, then that would help them.
I think he means that NBC could show a game or two next to or around ND on the NBC ota, and then promote the hell out of the rest of its BE package on NBC SN.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - TOGC - 08-18-2012 10:09 PM

I predict NBC gets Tier 1 football games and ESPN gets Tier 1 basketball games.

Tier 2 is up for grabs, but I could see NBC getting basketball and ESPN getting football.

Tier 3? Maybe it's time to start a Big East network to market the rest. Either that, or offer those to CBS.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - KnightLight - 08-18-2012 10:35 PM

(08-18-2012 08:28 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(08-18-2012 07:30 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  [quote='KnightLight' pid='8164965' dateline='1345336248']NBC just launched their Sports Network back on Jan 1...and while NBC just finished the London Olympic Games...they will also have

Note that they did not just launch their sports channel. They just changed the name back on Jan 1. It has been around in its current format for about 6 years when it changed from Outdoor Life Network to "Versus" and became a full sports network.

LOL!!! Ah...I think we all know about the history of that station.

Yes...NBC lauched/relaunched it...as its version today doesn't resemble OLN or even "Versus", especially the BACKING of NBC and the resources that they will have for that network...which were only "dreams" when it was called/operated by others.

Maybe 'reborn' is a better term.

In football terms...NBC just moved their "team" (channel) from Div II or Div I-AA up to not only Div I-A but its a BCS AQ "channel" now.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - johnbragg - 08-18-2012 11:18 PM

(08-18-2012 10:35 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(08-18-2012 07:30 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  [quote='KnightLight' pid='8164965' dateline='1345336248']NBC just launched their Sports Network back on Jan 1...and while NBC just finished the London Olympic Games...they will also have

Yes...NBC lauched/relaunched it...as its version today doesn't resemble OLN or even "Versus", especially the BACKING of NBC and the resources that they will have for that network...which were only "dreams" when it was called/operated by others.

Well, the content--lots of hockey, with some fishing shows, bull riding, MLS soccer and a couple of college football games--is pretty similar.

Much more important, the ratings are pretty similar. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/what_the_puck_wn2b9Gi99p6hpCmcEp3CdP

No ratings data, but how one hockey writer feels about NBC-SN "Finding Hockey in Siberia, or in This Case, NBC Sports Network" "We've referred to NBCSN as the "Witness Protection Program Network"
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/2012/06/nbc-sports-net.html

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - General Mike - 08-18-2012 11:18 PM

Maybe 'reborn' is a better term.

In football terms...NBC just moved their "team" (channel) from Div II or Div I-AA up to not only Div I-A but its a BCS AQ "channel" now.

Considering Comcast owned Versus, and they are the one that bought NBC, I don't think lack of resources was the problem.

RE: Blog: Can CBS play a bigger role in the next BE contract now? - Attackcoog - 08-19-2012 12:00 AM

(08-18-2012 11:18 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Well, the content--lots of hockey, with some fishing shows, bull riding, MLS soccer and a couple of college football games--is pretty similar.

Much more important, the ratings are pretty similar. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/what_the_puck_wn2b9Gi99p6hpCmcEp3CdP

No ratings data, but how one hockey writer feels about NBC-SN "Finding Hockey in Siberia, or in This Case, NBC Sports Network" "We've referred to NBCSN as the "Witness Protection Program Network"
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/2012/06/nbc-sports-net.html

lol...that article is from April. Just a guess, but I'd bet the last 2 weeks of wall to wall olympic coverage probably has the ratings heading in the other direction.