CSNbbs
How do EMU Football get some respect - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: How do EMU Football get some respect (/thread-580318.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

How do EMU Football get some respect - NUPudge - 08-01-2012 12:25 PM

It's about time that our O-Line get some respect from the sport world. I wish they felt the same about the rest of the team...

The OL
http://www.hustlebelt.com/2012/7/31/3205518/2012-mac-football-offensive-line-rankings

The WR
http://www.hustlebelt.com/2012/8/1/3212073/2012-mac-football-wide-receiver-rankings

The DL
http://www.hustlebelt.com/2012/7/30/3199503/2012-mac-football-defensive-line-rankings

The Kicker
http://www.hustlebelt.com/2012/7/28/3197501/2012-mac-football-kicker-rankings

The LB
http://www.hustlebelt.com/2012/7/27/3192073/2012-mac-football-linebacker-rankings

The DB
http://www.hustlebelt.com/2012/7/26/3187916/2012-mac-football-secondary-rankings

Nothing for the QB and RB... Yet

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - NUPudge - 08-02-2012 08:05 PM

I reread this listing again and would post this in the locker room just to get the guys fired up....

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - holybovine - 08-02-2012 08:59 PM

(08-02-2012 08:05 PM)NUPudge Wrote:  I reread this listing again and would post this in the locker room just to get the guys fired up....

Outside of the DB rankings (we're top 5 in the MAC, in my opinion), I thought the rankings were accurate.

I'm in the minority on this board, but I really do not like our WRs. The freshmen will need to be absolute players. The development of our offense depends on an advancement in the passing game. If we're not a threat passing the ball, we won't be in a bowl game.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - NUPudge - 08-03-2012 07:57 AM

I guess what I was trying to say is the only ones who believe in this team are the people here on this board (and a few other). I guess the Coach was correct in his statement “The reality is, until you win big - and do it all the time - nobody respects you,”

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/ron-english-respect-wont-come-for-emu-football-team-until-it-wins-big-and-consistently/

I can't wait to prove the unbeliever wrong. I can't believe all the negative energy from some people at other Mac schools that rip our coaches, stadium, fans, team, school etc. Comments about putting EMU outta the Mac. I see why fans don't come to support the FB team. Everyone ripping the school. I've only been following this team a year but even I can see the talent level and mindset changing with the team.. Maybe, I am just venting but the same people ripping our FB team, their team hasn't done anything big. I am off my soapbox.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - holybovine - 08-03-2012 08:08 AM

(08-03-2012 07:57 AM)NUPudge Wrote:  I guess what I was trying to say is the only ones who believe in this team are the people here on this board (and a few other). I guess the Coach was correct in his statement “The reality is, until you win big - and do it all the time - nobody respects you,”

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/ron-english-respect-wont-come-for-emu-football-team-until-it-wins-big-and-consistently/

I can't wait to prove the unbeliever wrong. I can't believe all the negative energy from some people at other Mac schools that rip our coaches, stadium, fans, team, school etc. Comments about putting EMU outta the Mac. I see why fans don't come to support the FB team. Everyone ripping the school. I've only been following this team a year but even I can see the talent level and mindset changing with the team.. Maybe, I am just venting but the same people ripping our FB team, their team hasn't done anything big. I am off my soapbox.

Yeah, well I've noticed that the WMU folks are the biggest haters when it comes to our football program/school. They are the primary proponents of "kicking us out of the MAC", etc. The thing is, how many bowl games have they won in their history?

Our main problem is we make ourselves an easy target with pathetically low attendance. Now, there are reasons why people haven't shown up, primarily that EMU hasn't had a decent football product in 17 years. I've been following EMU for a long time, so I can tell you that the last time we had a decent team (1995), we set an attendance record. Rasnick's group was fun to watch.

My point is this: Give EMU folks a decent program, and attendance will not be an issue. I see that happening this year.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - NUPudge - 08-03-2012 08:49 AM

(08-03-2012 08:08 AM)holybovine Wrote:  
(08-03-2012 07:57 AM)NUPudge Wrote:  I guess what I was trying to say is the only ones who believe in this team are the people here on this board (and a few other). I guess the Coach was correct in his statement “The reality is, until you win big - and do it all the time - nobody respects you,”

Yeah, well I've noticed that the WMU folks are the biggest haters when it comes to our football program/school. They are the primary proponents of "kicking us out of the MAC", etc. The thing is, how many bowl games have they won in their history?

Our main problem is we make ourselves an easy target with pathetically low attendance. Now, there are reasons why people haven't shown up, primarily that EMU hasn't had a decent football product in 17 years. I've been following EMU for a long time, so I can tell you that the last time we had a decent team (1995), we set an attendance record. Rasnick's group was fun to watch.

My point is this: Give EMU folks a decent program, and attendance will not be an issue. I see that happening this year.
Holybovine, I believe you are correct in your statement about this year fans and their support. To be fair, WMU wasn't the only school bitching about us... There are plenty more.. There has been PM messages to me about being crazy & dumb for being a newcomer and picking EMU as my Mac team of choice to follow and support. There seems to be something else there and I am not sure of the full reason. I have PM certain people on this board about the harsh messages from non EMU fans and older Huron fans. It was crazy when I first joined this great board. Lots of people on this board explained alot and educated me about the school and history of why and how we got in this current state of football. I come from another program that also had huge football challenges but other schools tones (in the conference) wasn't as bad. It was more of us being the "butt of jokes" (Leno, Carson, Lettermen, ESPN etc..) comedy not attack..

I guess I just wanted to get this off my chest before the season started.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - Ken Barna - 08-03-2012 11:05 AM

Dear NUPudge & holybovine,
Both of you have gotten me all roiled up, which is good! I agree with everything you have said about those poster's from other schools. If, one is to go on their site to argue a point with them, nine times out of ten, they never respond to the point you are trying to make, just call you a troll, or stupid, or uninformed, as if God gave them all the knowledge of everything.
If, we beat Western this year, I'm going on their site and let them have it with both barrels.
Winning changes everything, and if you win consistently, they will come. Something Central is beginning to find out in reverse. Lose, and they forget who you are.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - NUPudge - 08-03-2012 01:47 PM

Ken,

Its okay to get roiled up like me but it has to be controlled. There are some fans from other schools who has been very supported in EMU and looking forward to us getting better.

We should be okay this year and lots of fans who has been standing on the sideline will want to join in.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - NUPudge - 08-05-2012 11:41 AM

Here is a article that give our QB some love and respect.. This is a I've been talking about..

http://m.athlonsports.com/college-football/2012-college-football-awards-dual-threat-quarterbacks

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - emu79 - 08-05-2012 12:42 PM

I've followed EMU football since the Ron Johnson days, outside of the Harkema years it was a constant changing of coaches one assistant coach after another, lackluster or non existent community and student and alumni support. EMU's football program was disaster for way too many years and it was treated like a hobby well its good to have because we're a major university etc.

A bowl game this year would at least make someone stand up and take notice. We really need to improve attendance to be taken seriously.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - NUPudge - 08-05-2012 01:29 PM

Maybe we should start a post on what do we think, EMU football avg attendance will be for the home game this season..

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - NUPudge - 08-05-2012 01:44 PM

(08-05-2012 12:42 PM)emu79 Wrote:  I've followed EMU football since the Ron Johnson days, outside of the Harkema years it was a constant changing of coaches one assistant coach after another, lackluster or non existent community and student and alumni support. EMU's football program was disaster for way too many years and it was treated like a hobby well its good to have because we're a major university etc.

A bowl game this year would at least make someone stand up and take notice. We really need to improve attendance to be taken seriously.
Kudos to everyone here that supported the team during the lean years of poor football teams. I know it must been hard. I really hope/pray that by winning will began to heal some of the bitterness between the older emu fans (Hurons) & the newer (Eagles). Winning help heals deep hurts.

How can we expect other schools to repect us if are not unified as fans.. I am off my soapbox.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - Ken Barna - 08-05-2012 03:02 PM

Dear emu79,
You are absolutely correct about the coaching changes, but much of the failure of the hiring lies at the feet of Dave Diles, who was the Athleic Director part of those years, and hired terrible people like Coach Woodruff who made us the laughing stock of the MAC when he recruited seven players from Romulus High. Two years later, only one was still on the team. That was one very good example of why Eastern was so bad. I just wonder what could a coach be thinking, to do something like that?

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - Bob Wickersham - 08-05-2012 03:39 PM

(08-05-2012 03:02 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear emu79,
You are absolutely correct about the coaching changes, but much of the failure of the hiring lies at the feet of Dave Diles, who was the Athleic Director part of those years, and hired terrible people like Coach Woodruff who made us the laughing stock of the MAC when he recruited seven players from Romulus High. Two years later, only one was still on the team. That was one very good example of why Eastern was so bad. I just wonder what could a coach be thinking, to do something like that?
As bad as Woodruff was (or Rick Rasnick for that matter) how about the job Mike Stock did? 27 game losing streak, 7 times his teams were shut out! He single handedly almost got us booted out of the MAC. And let's be honest, could you really blame the other schools in the MAC if they did kick us out? We were bringing serious shame to a proud football conference. Thankfully, coach English has us way beyond all that futility. The fact that we can legitimately talk about going to a bowl game is pretty amazing...and exciting. I CANNOT wait for the season to start!

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - EagleSam - 08-05-2012 04:01 PM

Well said, Bob. August 30th can't come soon enough!

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - holybovine - 08-05-2012 05:03 PM

(08-05-2012 03:39 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
As bad as Woodruff was (or Rick Rasnick for that matter) how about the job Mike Stock did? 27 game losing streak, 7 times his teams were shut out! He single handedly almost got us booted out of the MAC. And let's be honest, could you really blame the other schools in the MAC if they did kick us out? We were bringing serious shame to a proud football conference. Thankfully, coach English has us way beyond all that futility. The fact that we can legitimately talk about going to a bowl game is pretty amazing...and exciting. I CANNOT wait for the season to start!

Nothing wrong with Rasnick, IMO. Great offensive mind. Did better at EMU than most. He shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Woodruff.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - Bob Wickersham - 08-05-2012 06:41 PM

(08-05-2012 05:03 PM)holybovine Wrote:  
(08-05-2012 03:39 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

Nothing wrong with Rasnick, IMO. Great offensive mind. Did better at EMU than most. He shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Woodruff.
He did have some good offenses with a couple pretty good QB's--Charlie Batch and then Walter Church.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - emu79 - 08-06-2012 03:48 AM

Diles is not the only AD that oversaw the decline. I should point out Ron Cooper was also a breath of fresh air win and loss wise.

The sad part is most of the coaches were decent hard working coaches where EMU was going to be their first step up the ladder unfortunately for most of them it was the death keel of ever being a Div I head coach again.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - Ken Barna - 08-06-2012 12:26 PM

Dear emu79,
I would agree that Cooper was a breath of fresh air, but he left Eastern after two seasons and went to Louisville as their head coach. I think he was fired after two seasons, and fell to obscure assistant coaching positions, until the last few years where I saw him as a big time assistant, but can't remember where. Anyway, my point was going to be that he should have stayed at Eastern another year or two, because I don't think he was ready to move on when he did. After Louisville, I don't think he was ever a head coach.

RE: How do EMU Football get some respect - emu79 - 08-06-2012 12:45 PM

Ken, a good lesson hopefully English sticks around EMU for a few years to cement his rep before moving on.