CSNbbs
CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+----- Forum: CUSA Realignment (/forum-1015.html)
+----- Thread: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... (/thread-579744.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - b0ndsj0ns - 07-29-2012 06:31 PM

(07-29-2012 06:28 PM)Purplehook Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 06:20 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 06:00 PM)Purplehook Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 12:07 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(07-28-2012 10:13 PM)Purplehook Wrote:  Wow! What a love fest this thread is.

He is my 2 cents.

For the newbies ODU, Charlotte, UTSA, FIU, North Texas, La. Tech; I welcome you with open arms.
For once i think our conference presidents got it right. They were very wise on picking these schools for future growth down the road. Some people on here are very selfish and short sighted. Talking football smack to UTSA when the've had a football team for what, 2 years? Really? That's weak. Start talking smack 10 years from now when they have had time to develop their program. These schools will pay off down the road, not now. And this isn't the sleeping giant bull ****, they are going to be good. FIU was terrible for a long time in the sunbelt, but kept growing their program and will now being very competitive in football right now. So lay off and give UTSA, Charlotte, and ODU some time. La. Tech is already good. Who did people think we were going to add Notre Dame and Florida State? C'mon people.
Instead of the Merger with the MWC we are essentially making our own merger by making two large regional based divisions that will stretch nation wide. If we go up to 16, 18, 20 teams we will have nation wide relevancy but still play pretty sound geography thanks to the East and West divisions. Maybe our divisions will only meet in the champ game in the future. I think that is the plan. It is a pretty smart plan too.
My last comment is about the Big East and new Conference USA, because both sides are blowing smoke up their a$$e$. Losing Syracuse, Pitt, and West Virgina hurts bad. Memphis and Temple are solid replacements, but where Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU have been elite eight, final 4 NCAA teams, Memphis has not since Calapari left. Temple and Memphis are perennial NCAA tournament teams, and great programs but not on that level.
The Big east will have a better TV deal than C-USA. It will be crap compared to the Big 5, but it will be better than ours. Big east basketball will be better. Big east football will be better. C-USA top teams will be as good as the Big Easts top teams, but our others while catching up will not be as good as the Big east bottom dwellers of Uconn and Rutgers. I'm okay with that for now. The Big East will still be a cluster-f#ck while we are developing a sound plan to grow as a conference. The Big east will not grow as fast under their current structure. There will always be divides and rifts among the administration until something changes, like a split. Until that happens C-USA will be catching up.

I don't honestly give a damn about if these schools might be good 10 years from now. I don't care if it is selfish we spent 30+ years as an independent and struggling just to end up essentially back in the SOCON. We could have saved a lot of time and effort if this was just going to be the end result.

You should care how good these schools are ten years from now. They are our conference mates and them being stronger only helps us and makes us look good. Yes, we would all love to be in the SEC, but we aren't. We can't just sit back a pout about it. I am an ECU fan first and foremost, If they are in the Sun Belt, The Mac , 1AA, or the Big 12 I will still come to see them.

No what makes us look good is winning. Did anything Houston, UCF, Memphis, or SMU do make us look good? No not at all. No one said "wow look how good Houston is C-USA is a great league." They said the exact opposite. I'm not saying I'm not going to keep going to games, but I am saying I don't give a damn about any of our future conference opponents. I don't really give a damn about any of our current ones outside of USM and Marshall.

Yes Winning does make us look good. My point exactly :) What makes us look better, beating an ODU team 10 years from now that has really grown as a program and is 8-2 going into our game, ranked just outside the top 25, with 35,000 people in their stands - OR - An ODU team 10 years from now that is 2-8 going into the game, has been awful since their inclusion in C-USA and their attendance has not grown? We (ECU) look a lot better if our conference has 2 or 3 other teams in the top 25 with us, than being the only one in the top 25 with a bunch of cellar dwellers.

Doesn't really matter that much. I don't care about what they do in the next decade, because if they end up good then they'll likely just get an invite to the Big East. We are just grooming the new large market schools to give us the Heisman in the next decade or so, and this time doing it in our own backyard.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - Purplehook - 07-29-2012 06:35 PM

So If you only care about ECU winning and don't care about our conference mates, Then why would you want to move to the Big East or SEC? We can win in any league. In fact moving up will only make winning more difficult.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - b0ndsj0ns - 07-29-2012 07:08 PM

(07-29-2012 06:35 PM)Purplehook Wrote:  So If you only care about ECU winning and don't care about our conference mates, Then why would you want to move to the Big East or SEC? We can win in any league. In fact moving up will only make winning more difficult.

Well I'd care about conference mates worth caring about. I dreamed about us being in the Big East with VT and WVU, schools we have had long time relationships with and would be big draws and exciting games for our fans. ODU and Charlotte are never going to be that. Then not to mention 10's of millions more we could use to build new facilities, improve recruiting, and actually be able to compete for more than just the JV trophy and participation bowl we get for winning this league.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - MUHERD76 - 07-29-2012 07:15 PM

(07-29-2012 07:08 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 06:35 PM)Purplehook Wrote:  So If you only care about ECU winning and don't care about our conference mates, Then why would you want to move to the Big East or SEC? We can win in any league. In fact moving up will only make winning more difficult.

Well I'd care about conference mates worth caring about. I dreamed about us being in the Big East with VT and WVU, schools we have had long time relationships with and would be big draws and exciting games for our fans. ODU and Charlotte are never going to be that. Then not to mention 10's of millions more we could use to build new facilities, improve recruiting, and actually be able to compete for more than just the JV trophy and participation bowl we get for winning this league.

VT, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse.....are all gone. It's not the same ole Big East. How can you not see that? The Big East that we always knew no longer exists. Those teams are gone. That little bit of football identity the Big East had left with WVU and Pitt primarily.

Do you dream of playing SMU, Houston, Boise, San Diego State, Temple, Memphis etc? Are those games that ECU fans can travel to and create regional rivals with? We all know the answer to that. Why continue to beat the drum about a conference that no longer the make up of that it used to be? Do you want to be in a forward thinking "Football first" conference or a non-rational thinking "Basketball first" conference?

For me personally, I'll take the football.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - b0ndsj0ns - 07-29-2012 07:41 PM

(07-29-2012 07:15 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

VT, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse.....are all gone. It's not the same ole Big East. How can you not see that? The Big East that we always knew no longer exists. Those teams are gone. That little bit of football identity the Big East had left with WVU and Pitt primarily.

Do you dream of playing SMU, Houston, Boise, San Diego State, Temple, Memphis etc? Are those games that ECU fans can travel to and create regional rivals with? We all know the answer to that. Why continue to beat the drum about a conference that no longer the make up of that it used to be? Do you want to be in a forward thinking "Football first" conference or a non-rational thinking "Basketball first" conference?

I want to be in whatever league is going to keep us financially competitive with our real competition, UNC, NC State, Duke, and Wake. That's not C-USA.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - oldtiger - 07-29-2012 07:43 PM

I my simple mind, it read like he was using that as an example of a conference he would be interested in Obviously it was an example from the past since he used the past tense. But, it gave you another opportunity, so it wasn't in vain. :)

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - MinerInWisconsin - 07-29-2012 07:44 PM

(07-29-2012 07:41 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

I want to be in whatever league is going to keep us financially competitive with our real competition, UNC, NC State, Duke, and Wake. That's not C-USA.

Have you ever been in such a conference?

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - PirateTreasureNC - 07-29-2012 07:53 PM

(07-29-2012 07:44 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

Awaiting retort on that one.

To that end, only the ACC and the SEC would do that for ECU and those aren't happening. The current/future BE is not the BE that we wanted to join so they aren't even a consideration.

Also read about T25s...I think CUSA at best has had 2 teams ranked at the same time..... if we ever got three like you hope for.....

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - b0ndsj0ns - 07-29-2012 07:53 PM

(07-29-2012 07:43 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

I my simple mind, it read like he was using that as an example of a conference he would be interested in Obviously it was an example from the past since he used the past tense. But, it gave you another opportunity, so it wasn't in vain. :)

Yes that's what I meant. C-USA isn't and can't add members I am going to be interested in. They are just adding bodies. Location alone doesn't mean I am going to care about a school. I care about games with USM and Marshall because we have history with them, and USM has been our peer for 30 years. We aren't adding peers to our league. If we can't add MWC members just leave it be and stop. We have added all the regional we will ever need at this point.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - 919R - 07-29-2012 07:53 PM

Huh......so, you're fortune teller as well 01-wingedeagle....I'm glad most ECU fans I know (and on here) are not as arrogant as you to look down your nose at other schools to this extent.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - b0ndsj0ns - 07-29-2012 08:02 PM

(07-29-2012 07:53 PM)919R Wrote:  

Huh......so, you're fortune teller as well 01-wingedeagle....I'm glad most ECU fans I know (and on here) are not as arrogant as you to look down your nose at other schools to this extent.

You really think I am supposed to have a damn bit of respect for a program that hasn't taken a single snap as a football program? No I don't. You'll get respect from me when you earn it, and not a second sooner. You'll earn it when you win some games and accomplish something other than residing in a large market. Also it doesn't take me being a fortune teller to know you are never going to be WVU or VT.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - b0ndsj0ns - 07-29-2012 08:17 PM

(07-29-2012 07:53 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 07:44 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 07:08 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Well I'd care about conference mates worth caring about. I dreamed about us being in the Big East with VT and WVU, schools we have had long time relationships with and would be big draws and exciting games for our fans. ODU and Charlotte are never going to be that. Then not to mention 10's of millions more we could use to build new facilities, improve recruiting, and actually be able to compete for more than just the JV trophy and participation bowl we get for winning this league.

Awaiting retort on that one.

To that end, only the ACC and the SEC would do that for ECU and those aren't happening. The current/future BE is not the BE that we wanted to join so they aren't even a consideration.

Also read about T25s...I think CUSA at best has had 2 teams ranked at the same time..... if we ever got three like you hope for.....

They aren't, but they are also likely to make at a minimum 5x the TV money C-USA is going to make, and it could be more than that. Not in the least an insignificant amount of money.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - blunderbuss - 07-29-2012 10:25 PM

Agreed. Big East at the very least would be a revenue improvement. Whatever, we've got to make the best of CUSA3.0 I suppose.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - C2__ - 07-29-2012 11:02 PM

(07-29-2012 06:19 PM)gata_dawg Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 01:02 PM)Caltex2 Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 10:04 AM)gata_dawg Wrote:  You are free to disagree, I'll give you that. The bolded part is ignorant on academics alone, much less athletics. For a university who was a peer of Southern Miss 40 years ago, we are aware that we have alot of catching up to do. That's what happens when an administration decides to put Athletic Advancement on hold for 25 years. I guess we will find out why or whether LaTech is so good in 2013 and beyond.

And why would making LaTech "Shreveport's Team," as you put it, better on the field? 01-wingedeagle

Yeah, I know Troy won't be confused with Harvard or even UA-T but I wasn't referencing academics at all. Troy, while solid at football, is located in rural Alabama. La Tech is situated in rural Louisiana, though somewhat close to Shreveport..

And you pretty much made my point for me in the bolded section. Just like Southern Miss basketball, which has been down except a year or two here and there over the years (including last year), La Tech will have to prove they are good in time and that's exactly why I pondered why everyone was so high on La Tech when they just recently became good again (and believe me, we know all too well of how good you are given how lucky we were to escape Ruston last year).

As for being Shreveport's team, I mean FAN SUPPORT, because without making serious in roads there, where will it come from? La-Monroe is nearby, plus a few Southland schools (not big but it all adds up) and most of the rest of the state is LSU-mad. So that's what I'm getting at, if you don't have a solid population to draw from then there's a ceiling to your fanbase size (just as there is for Troy, whom I compare you to).

Sure, I get what you are getting at. Although Troy much more rural than Ruston is to be sure. There is nothing anywhere close to that school so I will agree that Shreveport is the key to fan support. LA-Monroe doens't hurt support for Tech at all. I have clients who are ULM grads but season ticket holders at Tech.

A good example of why I think (spoiler alert: personal opinion with facts mixed in) you cannot compare the kind of success we had at the turn of the century with the success we are experiencing now, is all in the budget and the leadership. When Dooley took over the football program in 2007, his predecessor was being paid around $200k per year (a pathetic amount by today's standards). Since that time, the HC's salary has increased by 500% Since improving facilities are such an integral part to so many non-BCS schools, the past 5 years have seen an unprecidented amount of change for LaTech. New field turf and a top-notch video board system have been installed. The basketball practice facility will be completed any day now, a state of the art video board has already been selected to be installed in the arena, and a major south endzone facility is expected to break ground before the end of 2012.

All of these things, along with the football teams recent success, suggests an upward trend that is WAY more than the hiccup of success that Tech experienced at the turn of the millenium. They are also things that will do much more for fan support than winning the WAC will do.

Well when you put it like that, I see where you're going. Still has to be proven over time because a lot of schools spend money but I get ya.04-cheers

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - Afflicted - 07-29-2012 11:09 PM

(07-28-2012 05:32 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(07-28-2012 03:13 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  FWIW, I'm a UH alum and I think my school is making a very bad decision going to the Big East. That conference is no better than CUSA. We're making a big mistake. Thank God I'm also a huge Rice fan. I can, at least, travel to several of their road games every year.

So you're telling me you enjoyed going to New Orleans and watching us put 70 on Tulane in front of ~1,000 people? If so, I question your competitive spirit, but like you said, at least you'll still have that with Rice.

We're obviously never going to get a Big 12 invite (at least until UT leaves for the PAC), so the BE was the next best option. I suggest you apply for a Rapid Rewards (25,000 miles on activation) or AAdvantage card, and embrace the trips. Boise, Louisville, USF, Rutgers (NYC), SDSU, etc. will all be fantastic opportunities to watch our beloved Coogs play a higher quality of football in front of 45-50k crowds.

Not to mention Madison Square Garden for the BE Tourney. I mean, that is THE tournament in college basketball.

But it's not a higher quality of football. Do you really think I'm going to buy expensive plane tickets to see us play a bunch of inferior competition against schools that I don't even care about? The only notable football programs in the Big East are Louisville and Boise State, and Louisville is down right now. Cincinatti is competitive, but who really cares? Be realistic. Rutgers, UConn, SDSU, Memphis, USF and Temple are hardly anything to get excited about. Temple is a little above average now, but each of the others play garbage football. SMU is exciting to watch and on the rise, but what happens when June Jones gets bored and moves on? It can easily be argued that ECU, Tulsa, Southern Miss and Marshall are just as good in football as Louisville, Cincinatti, U of H and UCF. Boise State is the one football program that stands out above all of us.

Basketball will be great, but lets face it, in the south it really doesn't mean much to us.

I'm sick of my fellow UH alums/fans coming on the CUSA board trying to paint a rosy picture and trying to save face about a shaky, tenuous and lateral move to the Big East. It's our own fault when it blows up in our face. Quit trying to rain on CUSA's parade. Let CUSA supporters feel good about the future of their conference. If the BE is so much better, why let it bother you?

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - Afflicted - 07-29-2012 11:22 PM

(07-28-2012 10:13 PM)Purplehook Wrote:  Wow! What a love fest this thread is.

He is my 2 cents.

For the newbies ODU, Charlotte, UTSA, FIU, North Texas, La. Tech; I welcome you with open arms.
For once i think our conference presidents got it right. They were very wise on picking these schools for future growth down the road. Some people on here are very selfish and short sighted. Talking football smack to UTSA when the've had a football team for what, 2 years? Really? That's weak. Start talking smack 10 years from now when they have had time to develop their program. These schools will pay off down the road, not now. And this isn't the sleeping giant bull ****, they are going to be good. FIU was terrible for a long time in the sunbelt, but kept growing their program and will now being very competitive in football right now. So lay off and give UTSA, Charlotte, and ODU some time. La. Tech is already good. Who did people think we were going to add Notre Dame and Florida State? C'mon people.
Instead of the Merger with the MWC we are essentially making our own merger by making two large regional based divisions that will stretch nation wide. If we go up to 16, 18, 20 teams we will have nation wide relevancy but still play pretty sound geography thanks to the East and West divisions. Maybe our divisions will only meet in the champ game in the future. I think that is the plan. It is a pretty smart plan too.
My last comment is about the Big East and new Conference USA, because both sides are blowing smoke up their a$$e$. Losing Syracuse, Pitt, and West Virgina hurts bad. Memphis and Temple are solid replacements, but where Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU have been elite eight, final 4 NCAA teams, Memphis has not since Calapari left. Temple and Memphis are perennial NCAA tournament teams, and great programs but not on that level.
The Big east will have a better TV deal than C-USA. It will be crap compared to the Big 5, but it will be better than ours. Big east basketball will be better. Big east football will be better. C-USA top teams will be as good as the Big Easts top teams, but our others while catching up will not be as good as the Big east bottom dwellers of Uconn and Rutgers. I'm okay with that for now. The Big East will still be a cluster-f#ck while we are developing a sound plan to grow as a conference. The Big east will not grow as fast under their current structure. There will always be divides and rifts among the administration until something changes, like a split. Until that happens C-USA will be catching up.

Good post

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - Kronke - 07-29-2012 11:57 PM

(07-29-2012 11:09 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  But it's not a higher quality of football.

All the statistics, attendance numbers, bowl tie-ins, TV ratings, and $$$ generated by each conference strongly disagree.

(07-29-2012 11:09 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  Boise State is the one football program that stands out above all of us.

You admit Boise is head and shoulders above everyone else in the BE and CUSA, so given the option, why are you an advocate of NOT partnering up with them? Even with everything else equal (which with BE basketball, it isn't), that doesn't make sense.

(07-29-2012 11:09 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  Rutgers, UConn, SDSU, Memphis, USF and Temple are hardly anything to get excited about.

Those 6 (essentially the bottom half of the nBE) don't do anything for you, but you're on the edge of your seat to see UTSA, Charlotte, ODU, FIU, UNT, etc.?

I don't for a second buy any of what that what you're saying as what you truly believe, but by some chance it is and you have no interest in seeing UH in the BE, all I can say is - enjoy your Owls, we'll be just fine without you.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - C2__ - 07-30-2012 12:05 AM

I mean seriously, they're doing all they can to convince themselves that C-USA is better off without the teams leaving and that it was foolish to leave knowing their schools would have done the same exact thing if given the chance. We're not stepping into the SEC for football but it's still a clear step up in football with only 2-4 weak links (Navy, Memphis, Temple, SDSU) at the most. And basketball...forget about it.

That said, as I've said all along, C-USA made some solid adds that can grow in the league and mature like UCF did here.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - randaddyminer - 07-30-2012 12:25 AM

(07-30-2012 12:05 AM)Caltex2 Wrote:  I mean seriously, they're doing all they can to convince themselves that C-USA is better off without the teams leaving and that it was foolish to leave knowing their schools would have done the same exact thing if given the chance. We're not stepping into the SEC for football but it's still a clear step up in football with only 2-4 weak links (Navy, Memphis, Temple, SDSU) at the most. And basketball...forget about it.

That said, as I've said all along, C-USA made some solid adds that can grow in the league and mature like UCF did here.

I'm not gonna say our conference is better off with out you, but don't kid yourselves big east fans, we lost a good football program and a good bball program, the rest of the teams we lost (football and bball) ranged from average to below average. It's not like we got hit with a huge blow.

You guys are off to what you believe to be in your school's best interest and we picked up a bunch of markets in what the conference believes is in our best interest. Did Cusa move up or down? I don't know but time will tell. What I can say is 2 things; 1. we're perceived to be better than the MWC now, so if we need we may be able to poach them. 2. Program wise, the distance between CUSA and the big east has narrowed.

RE: CUSA appears to be expanding again in the near future.... - Cat79 - 07-30-2012 12:28 AM

(07-29-2012 04:19 PM)DFWMINER Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 03:06 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 02:08 PM)DFWMINER Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 01:48 PM)Runner Wrote:  
(07-29-2012 01:40 PM)DFWMINER Wrote:  Looks like a Texas high school stadium.

I have yet to see a Texas high school football stadium that looks like that. Track field is gone. I'm not a TxSt. fan but have to admit its a nice stadium.
One of many

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=1292#.UBWJq2t5mSM

Agree. Nice stadium. But very small.

Unless the school will likely average 25k+ in fball attendance, and 5K in bball, they need to be allowed to grow before bringing them in.

Seats 18,000. How much does San Marcos seat?