CSNbbs
Men's Basketball Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball Recruiting (/thread-576582.html)

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - elw4796 - 05-17-2016 08:11 PM

Newest offer is 2017 PG Geo Baker, out of New Hampshire. Has a ton of offers from eastern mid majors. Best offers are from Rutgers and Kansas State.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - cr11owl - 05-17-2016 08:54 PM

I guess when you're going after higher quality guys you just have to offer a ton of them. Some very highly regarded guys on this offer list. Just hope we land the ones at the top of the coaches' board.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - GoodOwl - 05-17-2016 10:44 PM

(05-17-2016 08:54 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  I guess when you're going after higher quality guys you just have to offer a ton of them. Some very highly regarded guys on this offer list. Just hope we land the ones at the top of the coaches' board.

I was thinking the same thing. Rhoades sure seems to be taking a different approach than most past hoops coaches. Hope we can land some of these guys!

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - Tiki Owl - 05-17-2016 11:26 PM

(05-17-2016 10:44 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(05-17-2016 08:54 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  I guess when you're going after higher quality guys you just have to offer a ton of them. Some very highly regarded guys on this offer list. Just hope we land the ones at the top of the coaches' board.

I was thinking the same thing. Rhoades sure seems to be taking a different approach than most past hoops coaches. Hope we can land some of these guys!

I assume this was the way VCU did it. A school outside P5 and trying to climb into a top 25 program go after a lot of good players that are on the edge of offers from top programs and hope you snag a couple. Plus if theyturn out like Evans you really validate the approach.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - OptimisticOwl - 05-18-2016 10:19 AM

I think it works like direct mail. A 3% return will be good, if we offer 33 top prospects.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - mrbig - 05-18-2016 10:29 AM

Remember that Letcher-Ellis was considered a top-300 player nationally and Tim Harrison a top-200 player. And Rice made quite a few offers to top-100 players for the 2016 recruiting class. Not a new phenomenon under Rhoades to target top guys.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - cr11owl - 05-18-2016 11:18 AM

(05-18-2016 10:29 AM)mrbig Wrote:  Remember that Letcher-Ellis was considered a top-300 player nationally and Tim Harrison a top-200 player. And Rice made quite a few offers to top-100 players for the 2016 recruiting class. Not a new phenomenon under Rhoades to target top guys.

Correct, and Josh Hall was the highest of them all. But those classes we were taking 4 guys and I probably remember 15 to 20 offers. Now we are taking 1 guy and it seems like we have 20 offers out. I'm sure the coaches might have a better feel of which way these kids are leaning, and I'm glad we are targeting these guys I just find it interesting.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - mrbig - 05-18-2016 11:43 AM

(05-18-2016 11:18 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  I'm glad we are targeting these guys I just find it interesting.

I find it an interesting dichotomy that Rice has targetted and is targetting so many high profile guys, yet has also targetted (and signed) some extremely low profile guys.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - cr11owl - 05-18-2016 12:14 PM

(05-18-2016 11:43 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(05-18-2016 11:18 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  I'm glad we are targeting these guys I just find it interesting.

I find it an interesting dichotomy that Rice has targetted and is targetting so many high profile guys, yet has also targetted (and signed) some extremely low profile guys.

I really only count 2 classes for Rhoades since the first one was shortened:

In this last class all 3 of the original signees were 3 stars which is a solid class for a mid major. The 2 guys added later were both in prep years so I'm not sure they are assessed the same way as guys that played 4 years of HS ball and went straight to college.

The class before that had 3 guys that were highly regarded (Lott, Evans, MLE) and Cashaw was a high 2 star I believe with Rice history coming off of a state championship team in Illinois. Amir Smith was the under the radar guy and I think we just needed bodies (even before our injury situation).

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - Orange County Owl - 05-18-2016 12:43 PM

Interesting note from 24-7 Sports ... they have a feature for each school which lists the program's highest ranked recruits since 2000.

6 of our top 11 will be on next year's roster (Letcher-Ellis, Harrison, Adams, Lott, Evans, Meyer). That should give some indication of the improvement in recruiting until Coach Rhoades.

http://rice.247sports.com/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - mrbig - 05-18-2016 02:21 PM

(05-18-2016 12:14 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(05-18-2016 11:43 AM)mrbig Wrote:  I find it an interesting dichotomy that Rice has targetted and is targetting so many high profile guys, yet has also targetted (and signed) some extremely low profile guys.

In this last class all 3 of the original signees were 3 stars which is a solid class for a mid major. The 2 guys added later were both in prep years so I'm not sure they are assessed the same way as guys that played 4 years of HS ball and went straight to college.

The class before that had 3 guys that were highly regarded (Lott, Evans, MLE) and Cashaw was a high 2 star I believe with Rice history coming off of a state championship team in Illinois. Amir Smith was the under the radar guy and I think we just needed bodies (even before our injury situation).

I considered Amir Smith to be under-the-radar in the 2015 class. MLE and Lott were certainly higher profile. Evans and Cashaw were probably under-appreciated, local prospect watchers absolutely raved about both of them.

For the 2016 class, I consider Austin Meyer to be under-the-radar, despite his numerous 3-star rankings. His one other publicized offer was pulled before his last season and there is basically no recent information available on him, even in the months prior to his commitment to Rice. I googled the heck out of him and could find very little. Same with Corey Douglas.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - cr11owl - 05-18-2016 02:28 PM

(05-18-2016 02:21 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(05-18-2016 11:43 AM)mrbig Wrote:  I find it an interesting dichotomy that Rice has targetted and is targetting so many high profile guys, yet has also targetted (and signed) some extremely low profile guys.

I considered Amir Smith to be under-the-radar in the 2015 class. MLE and Lott were certainly higher profile. Evans and Cashaw were probably under-appreciated, local prospect watchers absolutely raved about both of them.

For the 2016 class, I consider Austin Meyer to be under-the-radar, despite his numerous 3-star rankings. His one other publicized offer was pulled before his last season and there is basically no recent information available on him, even in the months prior to his commitment to Rice. I googled the heck out of him and could find very little. Same with Corey Douglas.

True. Ever since Austin Meyer moved to Texas he really did fall off the recruiting radar. I wasn't keeping tabs on him before that but I'm guessing he had his 3 star recruiting rank from when he played on the state championship team in Oklahoma and just kept it.

Corey Douglas was on a decent team in Kentucky. Think their best player went to MTSU? and was kicked off the team before this season. He went to prep school and put on 20+ pounds of muscle. Seems to just be a taller developmental guy than Amir Smith. Can substitute into the post for defensive/rebounding needs when the other bigs need a break.

At the highest level programs Amir Smith and Corey Douglas (don't mean to jump the gun) types come in as preferred walkons who might get a scholarship if they develop like the coaches hope. If not they can transfer or play sparingly for their college careers on a winning program. I think we are building that level of program and Rhoades will be happy to have 15+ guys in practice who probably would've seen the court for us some in real games the last 3 years.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - elw4796 - 05-18-2016 02:49 PM

(05-18-2016 02:21 PM)mrbig Wrote:  

I think it's gonna end up being Robert Martin. He's similar in a lot of aspects to Amir (same height, similar build, no offers), but all the northeast scouts and recruiters love him. I think Douglas ends up being a guy next year they can use if they need a body, just because he's already an advanced rebounder and shot blocker.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - elw4796 - 05-19-2016 02:24 PM

Jordan Schakel, 4 star guard out of California who seemed to have some interest in Rice this past season, talked about Cal, San Diego State, and USC in an article for Scout. Don't know if those are definitively his final three schools, but it certainly doesn't bode well for us.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - coachM - 05-20-2016 03:04 PM

Austin Meyer is more athletic than you might think. Found these videos showing he can get out and run (not great quality):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNiOS4ccupQ&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G8jU-4DQ3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGcU3XwIXHs

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - cr11owl - 05-20-2016 03:56 PM

(05-20-2016 03:04 PM)coachM Wrote:  Austin Meyer is more athletic than you might think. Found this video of a fast break dunk showing he can get out and run (not great quality):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNiOS4ccupQ&feature=youtu.be

Definitely starting out much more athletic than Drone was. Really excited to have another big guy down there who is used to playing post. MLE wasn't a true sub for Drone even though he has the athleticism to play down there with a little added muscle. Welcome to the parliament!

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - ExcitedOwl18 - 05-20-2016 04:06 PM

Noticed on Twitter today that Adam Gierlach, who was the video coordinator, took an assistant coaching job at Cornell. Seems like our guys are getting noticed!

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - westsidewolf1989 - 05-21-2016 06:18 PM

(05-20-2016 04:06 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Noticed on Twitter today that Adam Gierlach, who was the video coordinator, took an assistant coaching job at Cornell. Seems like our guys are getting noticed!

Awesome. Was in the same class as him and took his Bracketology 101 class...he's got a hell of a mind for basketball and is an incredibly hard worker. He'll be a head coach some day, no doubt in my mind.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - coachM - 05-26-2016 12:33 PM

Found some good info on Austin Meyer for his lack of recruiting exposure this year. His offer from OU was made to him his soph year of HS and after numerous recruiting functions to OU for a year and a half they felt like he wasn't showing them enough interest and pulled his and his HS teammate's offers late in their junior year. He went on an unofficial visit to Univ of Tennessee in July of last summer and decided he wanted to stay in Texas to play college ball. His recruiting fell off last summer at the most critical point because his HS coach at mustang, ok decided in mid April to coach the Nike EYBL summer team he was on. The Nike EYBL league is the most elite summer league (most exposure, etc) and team rosters are set early in the year and an EYBL rule is that you can only have no more than 2 high school players from the high school that the EYBL coach is from (if he is a HS coach). The 2 players on Austin's EYBL team from his HS team were the head coach's son and the HS assistant coach's son. Got lost in the shuffle of recruiting after that due to switching teams after the EYBL summer league had started, and his name was no longer on the former EYBL roster.

RE: Rhoades Recruiting - Tiki Owl - 05-26-2016 12:37 PM

(05-26-2016 12:33 PM)coachM Wrote:  Found some good info on Austin Meyer for his lack of recruiting exposure this year. His offer from OU was made to him his soph year of HS and after numerous recruiting functions to OU for a year and a half they felt like he wasn't showing them enough interest and pulled his and his HS teammate's offers late in their junior year. He went on an unofficial visit to Univ of Tennessee in July of last summer and decided he wanted to stay in Texas to play college ball. His recruiting fell off last summer at the most critical point because his HS coach at mustang, ok decided in mid April to coach the Nike EYBL summer team he was on. The Nike EYBL league is the most elite summer league (most exposure, etc) and team rosters are set early in the year and an EYBL rule is that you can only have no more than 2 high school players from the high school that the EYBL coach is from (if he is a HS coach). The 2 players on Austin's EYBL team from his HS team were the head coach's son and the HS assistant coach's son. Got lost in the shuffle of recruiting after that due to switching teams after the EYBL summer league had started, and his name was no longer on the former EYBL roster.

Interesting info...thanks for posting.