CSNbbs
***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------- Forum: NTR Sports (/forum-675.html)
+------- Thread: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** (/thread-567960.html)

***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - georgiatiger - 05-01-2012 09:57 PM

I'm sure many of you are lifelong fans. Let's share some stories.

Welcome back, Craig. After a monstrous last game and solid rehab as a Redbird, he's 2 for 4 with an RBI and run scored. Cards up 10-4 in the 8th. 3 run homer my Freese.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - Tiger.J - 05-02-2012 12:17 AM

I def. fit the requirements. I look forward to reading your experiences, and sharing some of my own.

Go Cards!

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - TiggerFan - 05-02-2012 10:21 AM

Took a tour of new Busch not long ago. When they take you in to the broadcast booth you discover that Mike Shannon sits on one of those big inflatable exercise balls because of back trouble. For the tours, I'm guessing, the couple of fridges in the booth are mysteriously lacking any products from Anheuser Busch, St. Louis, Missouri.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - carrollcountypig - 05-03-2012 08:06 AM

Great thread GT. My first trip to Busch Stadium was in 1973. I was lucky to witness Bob Gibson pitch against the Phillies. Fun to see players such as Ted Sizemore, Mike Tyson, Brock, Reitz and so on. Great to be a Cardinal Fan.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - TiggerFan - 05-03-2012 09:51 AM

Kenny Reitz became my first favorite player when I was a little squirt. I had no idea what a trade was and, upon learning that he was no longer a Cardinal, cried.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - Pastnerized - 05-03-2012 11:24 AM

I have vivid memories of sitting on my bedroom floor, doing my homework or eating what was cooked on the grill, listening to Harry Caray-and Jack Buck call games.
I ate many a grilled hot dog with honey mustard slaw during Cardinal summers.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - georgiatiger - 05-03-2012 12:00 PM

My first memory of professional baseball was seeing a team on our black and white TV. I asked my dad who was the team with he cool uniforms. Don't remember exactly what he said, but from that day forward I knew the New York Yankees and their pinstripes were a force to be reckoned with.

That said, my first memory of the Cardinals was the '64 World Series. I was just a wee toddler, but somehow knew they had become World Champions in dramatic fashion and by family tradition would be my favorite team.

Next I'm going tell how McCarver got on my dad's bad side (at Sportsman's Park) and stayed there, lol.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - carrollcountypig - 05-03-2012 03:31 PM

(05-03-2012 09:51 AM)TiggerFan Wrote:  Kenny Reitz became my first favorite player when I was a little squirt. I had no idea what a trade was and, upon learning that he was no longer a Cardinal, cried.

Torre was my favorite as a squirt but I remember Reitz well, his feet never could stay still inside the batters box. constantly going up and down like he was standing on hot coals.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - UofMark - 05-03-2012 10:43 PM

Theo Epstein, new Cubs GM, was at the Redbirds - Iowa Cubs game at AutoZone Park this afternoon. Memphis won 7-6.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - MemphisTiger15 - 05-03-2012 10:52 PM

(05-03-2012 10:43 PM)UofMark Wrote:  Theo Epstein, new Cubs GM, was at the Redbirds - Iowa Cubs game at AutoZone Park this afternoon. Memphis won 7-6.

Was he wearing his gorilla suit?

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - eltigre - 05-03-2012 11:01 PM

An uncle of mine long since deceased used to sit on a swing in his front yard every night (weather permitting) with a 9-volt transistor radio in his hand listening to Cardinal games. I plan on taking my girls to StL this Summer and introducing them to Cardinal baseball. They force feed the Braves to us down here.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - georgiatiger - 05-03-2012 11:48 PM

(05-03-2012 11:01 PM)eltigre Wrote:  An uncle of mine long since deceased used to sit on a swing in his front yard every night (weather permitting) with a 9-volt transistor radio in his hand listening to Cardinal games. I plan on taking my girls to StL this Summer and introducing them to Cardinal baseball. They force feed the Braves to us down here.

So what's up with the Braves? I spend an inordinate amount of time in Memphis, lately, and the Braves are on the tube instead of the Cards. I know things have changed over the 25 years I've been gone (including the freakin' Redbirds), but isn't this still Cardinal Country?

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - eltigre - 05-04-2012 12:19 AM

I don't know about Memphis and the reason behind the Braves being forced upon them but North Alabama gets the Braves. We get TV games, the main local sports radio is on the Braves network, and even the coupon book my daughter sells for school has Braves deals. I have Braves reps call on me every year wanting to offer packages etc to the employees... I then point to my bookcase with the collection of commemorative Bud bottles celebrating Cardinal World Series Championships and that settles that.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - TiggerFan - 05-04-2012 08:25 AM

A perfect Saturday for me as a kid was to ride my bike to school play a game or two early (one league, one pickup.) Then, back home to watch the NBC Game of the Week with Tony Kubek and Joe Garagiola. If I was lucky, Channel 5 would pick up the Cardinals game for a double header. Parents didn't think too highly of it--this was back in the "Go outside and play until dark" days.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - georgiatiger - 05-08-2012 09:55 PM

Beltran is on fire. After two innings tonight he had two home runs (grand slam) and six RBIs, which puts him among the league leaders.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - tigers0830 - 05-08-2012 10:06 PM

The question is going to be what is Mike going to do if or when Carp comes back. Who do you take out of the rotation. The logical choice would be Lynn, but I'm not sure I would take him out since he is 6-0 with 1.40 ERA

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - georgiatiger - 05-08-2012 10:53 PM

I've wondered about that. No way in hell you take him out. Nice problem to have, though.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - tigers0830 - 05-08-2012 11:41 PM

Most definitely is a nice problem. Wonder if he might think about just using a 6 man rotation.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - MemphisTiger15 - 05-09-2012 07:17 AM

(05-08-2012 09:55 PM)georgiatiger Wrote:  Beltran is on fire. After two innings tonight he had two home runs (grand slam) and six RBIs, which puts him among the league leaders.

Its amazing how many players that STL can get to be productive after they pull them off the scrap heap. I cant remember if Randy Winn did much for the Cards a couple of years ago, but I know he was awful while playing for the Yankees. Berkman was a just a rental player in 2010, but he was another one that I was glad to see the Yanks let go. Now it looks like Beltran might be that guy this season.

RE: ***Official St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** - TiggerFan - 05-09-2012 08:56 AM

Beltran has 6 RBIs in last night's game. He had 7 vs. Pirates a few days ago.
A certain former Cardinal has 9 for the season.
'Da Cards.