CSNbbs
CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead (/thread-566095.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - dchi72 - 04-17-2012 02:32 PM

Link

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - Glassonion - 04-17-2012 02:34 PM

Gee, didnt see that one coming...03-melodramatic

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - Sluggo13 - 04-17-2012 02:36 PM

I think the Mountain West goes to 10 and stay. CUSA will likely add 4 leaving the Sun Belt with solid choices.

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - techdawg88 - 04-17-2012 02:44 PM

LaTech, UNT, FIU, & Charlotte to CUSA

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - Sluggo13 - 04-17-2012 02:49 PM

(04-17-2012 02:44 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  LaTech, UNT, FIU, & Charlotte to CUSA

Probably a toss-up between LaTech and UTSA, but ultimately I think UNT and LaTech will be added to the west division.

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - SkullyMaroo - 04-17-2012 03:00 PM

What's going to happen if the BCS agrees to do away with AQ status? Will Boise State go back to the MWC? What about SDSU? What about Houston and SMU back to C-USA? Why add teams now if you have a shot at getting some of those teams back? Should the MWC and C-USA wait until the new format is known before picking up other teams? A rush to add teams now could cause future problems for us all...

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - b0ndsj0ns - 04-17-2012 03:09 PM

(04-17-2012 03:00 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  What's going to happen if the BCS agrees to do away with AQ status? Will Boise State go back to the MWC? What about SDSU? What about Houston and SMU back to C-USA? Why add teams now if you have a shot at getting some of those teams back? Should the MWC and C-USA wait until the new format is known before picking up other teams? A rush to add teams now could cause future problems for us all...

Money is still going to be better, especially for all sports members, so no chance Houston and SMU come back. I guess if BE football money was really much lower than they thought and AQ status went away Boise and SDSU might consider it, but I highly doubt it.

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - Glassonion - 04-17-2012 03:09 PM

(04-17-2012 03:00 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  What's going to happen if the BCS agrees to do away with AQ status? Will Boise State go back to the MWC? What about SDSU? What about Houston and SMU back to C-USA? Why add teams now if you have a shot at getting some of those teams back? Should the MWC and C-USA wait until the new format is known before picking up other teams? A rush to add teams now could cause future problems for us all...

Unless they "Pod" up, and split into different conferences based on pod affiliation, which would make ECU very happy.

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - FloridaJag - 04-17-2012 03:14 PM

(04-17-2012 02:36 PM)Sluggo13 Wrote:  I think the Mountain West goes to 10 and stay. CUSA will likely add 4 leaving the Sun Belt with solid choices.

Not so fast my friend!

Let's look at it.

CUSA is now

UAB
ECU
Marshall
USM
Rice
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa

I do not think CUSA is a much better than the SBC.

What is the incentive now for FIU to move.

We have more big markets

Atlanta
Ft. Lauderdale
Miami
Mobile
Nashvillle

Edit: I forgot Dallas.

CUSA

Birmingham
El Paso
Houston
New Orleans

I think UNCC is now in the driver seat. I think UNCC fits better in the SBC. With UNCC we have effectively check mated CUSA.

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - MTPiKapp - 04-17-2012 03:16 PM

(04-17-2012 03:14 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  
(04-17-2012 02:36 PM)Sluggo13 Wrote:  I think the Mountain West goes to 10 and stay. CUSA will likely add 4 leaving the Sun Belt with solid choices.

Not so fast my friend!

Let's look at it.

CUSA is now

UAB
ECU
Marshall
USM
Rice
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa

We have more big markets

Atlanta
Ft. Lauderdale
Miami
Mobile
Nashvillle

CUSA

Birmingham
El Paso
Houston
New Orleans

I think UNCC is now in the driver seat. I think UNCC fits better in the SBC. With UNCC we have effectively check mated CUSA.

No one is picking the Sun Belt over CUSA. Not current members, not expansion candidates, no one. No ifs, ands, or buts.

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - FloridaJag - 04-17-2012 03:19 PM

(04-17-2012 03:16 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  

Not so fast my friend!

Let's look at it.

CUSA is now

UAB
ECU
Marshall
USM
Rice
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa

We have more big markets

Atlanta
Ft. Lauderdale
Miami
Mobile
Nashvillle

CUSA

Birmingham
El Paso
Houston
New Orleans

No one is picking the Sun Belt over CUSA. Not current members, not expansion candidates, no one. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Hey man, I am working here promoting the SBC to UNCC fans. Hey we got Georgia State. 03-cloud9

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - MTPiKapp - 04-17-2012 03:20 PM

(04-17-2012 03:19 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  

Not so fast my friend!

Let's look at it.

CUSA is now

UAB
ECU
Marshall
USM
Rice
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa

We have more big markets

Atlanta
Ft. Lauderdale
Miami
Mobile
Nashvillle

CUSA

Birmingham
El Paso
Houston
New Orleans

Hey man, I am working here promoting the SBC to UNCC fans. Hey we got Georgia State. 03-cloud9

And I'm just here giving you a dose of reality.

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - techdawg88 - 04-17-2012 03:21 PM

(04-17-2012 02:49 PM)Sluggo13 Wrote:  
(04-17-2012 02:44 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  LaTech, UNT, FIU, & Charlotte to CUSA

Probably a toss-up between LaTech and UTSA, but ultimately I think UNT and LaTech will be added to the west division.

I can see UTSA added to the MWC since they want a Texas team

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - MG61 - 04-17-2012 03:23 PM

If true and CUSA goes to 12 and UTEP stays, Middle Tennessee could be high on the list. Their addition would help to ease some of the concerns of Marshall and ECU.

EAST

Marshall
ECU
Southern Miss
UAB
FIU
Middle Tennessee or Charlotte

WEST

UTEP
Tulsa
Rice
Tulane
North Texas
Louisian[b]a Tech

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - b0ndsj0ns - 04-17-2012 03:24 PM

Not so fast my friend!

Let's look at it.

CUSA is now

UAB
ECU
Marshall
USM
Rice
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa

We have more big markets

Atlanta
Ft. Lauderdale
Miami
Mobile
Nashvillle

Edit: I forgot Dallas.

CUSA

Birmingham
El Paso
Houston
New Orleans

03-lmfao

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - bluephi1914 - 04-17-2012 03:30 PM

I can see both leagues going to 10 and holding, negotiating similar deals with one network to allow for a merger if possible, and then, if a merger is possible, they can each go to 12. Probably looking at expansion to 10 by July 1, 2012, and then to 12 by July 1, 2014.

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - FloridaJag - 04-17-2012 03:37 PM

(04-17-2012 03:20 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  
(04-17-2012 03:19 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  

Not so fast my friend!

Let's look at it.

CUSA is now

UAB
ECU
Marshall
USM
Rice
UTEP
Tulane
Tulsa

We have more big markets

Atlanta
Ft. Lauderdale
Miami
Mobile
Nashvillle

CUSA

Birmingham
El Paso
Houston
New Orleans

And I'm just here giving you a dose of reality.

SBC cities

Atlanta
Charlotte
Dallas
Ft. Lauderdale
Miami
Mobile

I think we on par with CUSA

USM - Arkansas State
Tulsa - Western Kentucky
Marshall - ULL
ECU - FIU
UAB - UNT
Rice - ULM
UTEP - Troy
Tulane - MT

I think we would break even.

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - Sluggo13 - 04-17-2012 03:40 PM

Doing away with the AQ status in 2014 is the main reason I think MWC stays at 10. Sooner or later Boise and SDSU will come back to their senses. Unless basketball money tips the scale.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18608456/how-to-divide-bigger-pie-becomes-focus-of-bcs-groups

Quote:That's because, while no official decision has been reached, conference commissioners have told CBSSports.com that the BCS automatic qualifying status will not exist in 2014. All 11 conferences -- in theory anyway -- will be viewed as "BCS conferences" or whatever they call them.

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - b0ndsj0ns - 04-17-2012 03:41 PM

(04-17-2012 03:37 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  SBC cities

Atlanta
Charlotte
Dallas
Ft. Lauderdale
Miami
Mobile

USM - Arkansas State
Tulsa - Western Kentucky
Marshall - ULL
ECU - FIU
UAB - UNT
Rice - ULM
UTEP - Troy
Tulane - MT

I think we would break even.

03-lmfao

RE: CBS Sports saying merger is most likely dead - FloridaJag - 04-17-2012 03:47 PM

(04-17-2012 03:41 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(04-17-2012 03:37 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  SBC cities

Atlanta
Charlotte
Dallas
Ft. Lauderdale
Miami
Mobile

USM - Arkansas State
Tulsa - Western Kentucky
Marshall - ULL