CSNbbs
No MWC/CUSA Merger? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: No MWC/CUSA Merger? (/thread-565801.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

No MWC/CUSA Merger? - bluephi1914 - 04-14-2012 08:00 PM

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/bcs-poised-to-undergo-big-changes-147424175.html
(I tried to post the link but it won't work. The article is the BCS article in the Las Vegas Review Journal.)

It appears that the MWC and CUSA may only work a scheduling alliance. The reality of it all is, even that is not guaranteed to be done. Either way, both CUSA and the MWC will expand; however, the key question is what exactly will the invited schools be walking into.?. It does appear that both conferences will expand to 12, which will give them the previously rumored 24 schools. If they are looking to play a championship game, 12 programs will be needed per each conference. So, look for expansion to 12 by each the MWC and CUSA and then a scheduling alliance between the two conferences that will pretty much fill up the remaining 4 OOC games on each school's schedule along with a title game between the two first place teams within each conference.

One other thing to note, in all of the rumors of movement and Benson joining the SBC, many have disregarded the fact that the WAC, which is still a functioning conference, has not hired a new commissioneroutside of the appointment of an interim commissioner. I find this odd, but not too odd. Reason being, all the while during his final time with the WAC Benson wanted to add schools from the SBC in an effort to stabilize and strengthen the WAC. Well, now that he is with the SBC, and the SBC is set to lose programs coupled with the WAC not having a commissioner, it appears logical that Benson will pursuade the presidents of the remaining schools in the SBC and WAC to merge...a merger that will occur under a new name. So, by June 30 I would expect the following:

SBC/WAC Merger

West
Idaho
NMSU
Tx State
UTA (Olympic Sports) -2014
Lamar - 2014
ULL
ULM
USA
UNO (Olympic Sports)

East
FAU
Troy
Ga. State
Ga. Southern -2014
App. State
WKU
MTU
UALR (Olympic Sports)
Coastal Carolina (Olympic Sports) - 2014

All of the talk of MO State, ODU etc. is pointless. They are not interested. Also, Liberty does not fit the SBC profile. Benson will work to place Denver in another conference. The new conference will have a 14/18 format.

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - Tiguar - 04-14-2012 08:02 PM

pls no

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - ark30inf - 04-14-2012 08:09 PM

So where is stAte going?

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - Fanof49ASU - 04-14-2012 08:14 PM

NO!!!!

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - bluephi1914 - 04-14-2012 08:24 PM

If you guys don't want to go to the Alliance, then we can keep you not take Lamar and bring Ga. Southern sooner.

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - ark30inf - 04-14-2012 08:25 PM

(04-14-2012 08:24 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  If you guys don't want to go to the Alliance, then we can keep you not take Lamar and bring Ga. Southern sooner.

I'd definitely rather go to the Alliance than go to Idaho.

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - chiefsfan - 04-14-2012 08:27 PM

(04-14-2012 08:24 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  If you guys don't want to go to the Alliance, then we can keep you not take Lamar and bring Ga. Southern sooner.

Dont want to go? We're not even rumored to get an invite, but I'd drop back to FCS before playing Idaho though.

And good god that is the ugliest looking conference I have ever seen.

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - Side Show Joe - 04-14-2012 09:24 PM

(04-14-2012 08:00 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  http://www.THIS-LINK-VIOLATES-AUP-SEE-ANNOUNCEMENT/sports/bcs-poised-to-undergo-big-changes-147424175.html
(I tried to post the link but it won't work. The article is the BCS article in the Las Vegas Review Journal.)

It appears that the MWC and CUSA may only work a scheduling alliance. The reality of it all is, even that is not guaranteed to be done. Either way, both CUSA and the MWC will expand; however, the key question is what exactly will the invited schools be walking into.?. It does appear that both conferences will expand to 12, which will give them the previously rumored 24 schools. If they are looking to play a championship game, 12 programs will be needed per each conference. So, look for expansion to 12 by each the MWC and CUSA and then a scheduling alliance between the two conferences that will pretty much fill up the remaining 4 OOC games on each school's schedule along with a title game between the two first place teams within each conference.

One other thing to note, in all of the rumors of movement and Benson joining the SBC, many have disregarded the fact that the WAC, which is still a functioning conference, has not hired a new commissioneroutside of the appointment of an interim commissioner. I find this odd, but not too odd. Reason being, all the while during his final time with the WAC Benson wanted to add schools from the SBC in an effort to stabilize and strengthen the WAC. Well, now that he is with the SBC, and the SBC is set to lose programs coupled with the WAC not having a commissioner, it appears logical that Benson will pursuade the presidents of the remaining schools in the SBC and WAC to merge...a merger that will occur under a new name. So, by June 30 I would expect the following:

SBC/WAC Merger

West
Idaho
NMSU
Tx State
UTA (Olympic Sports) -2014
Lamar - 2014
ULL
ULM
USA
UNO (Olympic Sports)

East
FAU
Troy
Ga. State
Ga. Southern -2014
App. State
WKU
MTU
UALR (Olympic Sports)
Coastal Carolina (Olympic Sports) - 2014

All of the talk of MO State, ODU etc. is pointless. They are not interested. Also, Liberty does not fit the SBC profile. Benson will work to place Denver in another conference. The new conference will have a 14/18 format.

That is ugly.

As far as the alliance goes, I can't see a full merger happening. Too many exit fees and Tourey shares would be left on the table. I think C-USA and the MWC will form a scheduling alliance. I could see a situation where both conferences play only 3 OOC games at the start of the season. In this structure neither conference would play a title game, so neither would have to expand to 12, but they would have to have the same number of teams. The last week of the season would be set aside for the 4th non-conference game for both the MWC and C-USA, and the games on that week would be scheduled according to national rankings and conference ranking. This system would allow C-USA and the MWC to basicly play a inter-conference championship game, and give the winning team a needed boost in the polls at the end of the season, and allow for the best chance at a BCS bowl.

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - panama - 04-14-2012 09:43 PM

No

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - Ole Blue - 04-14-2012 11:03 PM

(04-14-2012 09:43 PM)panama Wrote:  No

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This sums it up well 04-cheers

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - GoApps70 - 04-14-2012 11:13 PM

I believe Kenneshaw State should be added to give GaState a travel partner. It's just 20 miles from GaState.

(Just kidding)

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - GSU Eagles - 04-14-2012 11:16 PM

(04-14-2012 11:13 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  I believe Kenneshaw State should be added to give GaState a travel partner. It's just 20 miles from GaState.

(Just kidding)

Lol. You trying to make Panama have a complete nervous breakdown?

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - Burn the Horse - 04-14-2012 11:55 PM

Texas State, Georgia Southern, GSU, and App State. that should be the new brood of Sun Belt programs.

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - MTPiKapp - 04-15-2012 01:03 AM

[Image: tumblr_lpyw2pNhaZ1r0w4bgo1_500.jpg?1319478951]

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - TrojanCampaign - 04-15-2012 01:29 AM

closes eyes to see if you really posted this

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - panama - 04-15-2012 07:24 AM

(04-14-2012 11:16 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  
(04-14-2012 11:13 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  I believe Kenneshaw State should be added to give GaState a travel partner. It's just 20 miles from GaState.

(Just kidding)

Lol. You trying to make Panama have a complete nervous breakdown?

Lol. They are not starting FCS football until 2016 now. That is their third punt.

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - panama - 04-15-2012 07:28 AM

(04-14-2012 11:55 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  Texas State, Georgia Southern, GSU, and App State. that should be the new brood of Sun Belt programs.

If the candidates are in order, LaTech, UTSA, Charlotte, Texas State, App State...how decimated would the SBC have to be to take both App State and GaSo?

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - FloridaJag - 04-15-2012 07:52 AM

It will not happen, or it will be short lived. The east schools would break off and form new conference.

Arkansas State
App State
FAU
GA State
MT
Troy
South Alabama
Western Kentucky

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - panama - 04-15-2012 08:06 AM

Its not going to happen. The worst case scenario would have the Alliance taking 3 current SBC schools.

RE: No MWC/CUSA Merger? - BLEEDITRED - 04-15-2012 08:12 AM

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid.

Benson: "We are looking to keep a tight geographical fit with any expansion candidates."

"So . . . Let's put USA, ULL, UNO, and ULM in the same division as Idaho."