CSNbbs
mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation (/thread-565765.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - ManzanoWolf - 04-14-2012 12:06 PM

Posted on 04/13/2012 by Dan McCarney

My main sources have been pretty quiet in recent days, so there’s not a whole lot to add in regards to UTSA’s chances of joining the Mountain West/Conference USA federation.

I did speak today with a non-administration source at one of the prime candidates who is hearing that North Texas, Utah State and Florida International are pretty much done deals in terms of membership, regardless of league affiliation.

But as an athletic director told me a couple of weeks ago, once the school presidents gather to make their final decision, you never know what’s going to happen. Just ask Louisiana Tech, which thought it had an invitation sewed up during C-USA’s last round of expansion only to be passed over.

Then you have the contrast I’ve encountered. A MWC official said late last month that UTSA was too undeveloped to join, while a colleague in C-USA said recently he’d gladly take the Roadrunners over Tech. (As one observer noted, “Are we basing this on the last 50 years, or the next 50 years?”) Another called UTSA an “outstanding” candidate and all but offered to pick up Lynn Hickey’s dry cleaning for a year.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2012/04/your-daily-realignment-speculation-2/

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - OsageJ - 04-14-2012 12:30 PM

I hope they take UTSA and leave Texas State to us.

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - techdawg88 - 04-14-2012 04:39 PM

anyone else think it's strange how San Antonio seems to be the ones coming out with all this recruiting speculation?

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - Ole Blue - 04-14-2012 04:43 PM

(04-14-2012 04:39 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  anyone else think it's strange how San Antonio seems to be the ones coming out with all this recruiting speculation?

Yep, seems a little like one-sided talk to me... I'm pretty sure FBS programs (LT, MT, FIU, etc.) have many more sources and much more information, so I'd take news coming from them or CBSSports.com for example more seriously.

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - FIU4Ever - 04-14-2012 04:55 PM

(04-14-2012 04:43 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  
(04-14-2012 04:39 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  anyone else think it's strange how San Antonio seems to be the ones coming out with all this recruiting speculation?

Yep, seems a little like one-sided talk to me... I'm pretty sure FBS programs (LT, MT, FIU, etc.) have many more sources and much more information, so I'd take news coming from them or CBSSports.com for example more seriously.

They may have legit sources, offer of a bucket of chicken could really get those tongues wagging. 05-stirthepot

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - Ole Blue - 04-14-2012 05:04 PM

(04-14-2012 04:55 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  
(04-14-2012 04:43 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  

They may have legit sources, offer of a bucket of chicken could really get those tongues wagging. 05-stirthepot

Hahaha. That's awesome. I'm sure they may have one or two real sources, but still lol

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - techdawg88 - 04-14-2012 05:09 PM

I'm not saying San Antonio is wrong but they always seem way to bias toward UTSA in their reporting

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - bluephi1914 - 04-14-2012 05:20 PM

(04-14-2012 05:09 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  I'm not saying San Antonio is wrong but they always seem way to bias toward UTSA in their reporting

Really? I wonder why that is....

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - ChooChoo - 04-14-2012 05:59 PM

I do want to point out that in ALL the speculation and talk in the media and news source boards on realignment candidates the past 9 months, Georgia State was mentioned only ONCE that I can think of and it was in that SA blog. And THAT was just to say GSU may have some interest in moving up.
There are honestly only a handful of folks I trust with expansion info and I think this Blog is pretty accurate, in part because I think the source's info comes from that athletic department. I believe it's true that USU, FIU, and UNT are a lock too for the respective conferences with LA Tech, Charlotte, and UTSA duking it for the last spot. Seems only logical.
For selfish reasons I wish the SBC would stay put and expand. Hopefully Benson can convince all our current members that a 16 team SBC with LA Tech, UTSA, Texas St, Appalachian St, Charlotte (FB only) is stronger than the current MWC and C-USA with 8 schools each.
Or at least as good as what a non-expansion merger of MWC/C-USA (16) would be.
I bet some TV execs would agree.

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - Side Show Joe - 04-14-2012 06:28 PM

I think programs that are desperate for an invitation are trying to generate interest in their schools. Using their local media is just a way to try and stay in the news and keep their names in the minds of those involved in the expansion. The rumors Texas State generates seem to be the worst. Those guys really think they have a shot at the alliance.

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - chiefsfan - 04-14-2012 08:32 PM

(04-14-2012 06:28 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  

I think programs that are desperate for an invitation are trying to generate interest in their schools. Using their local media is just a way to try and stay in the news and keep their names in the minds of those involved in the expansion. The rumors Texas State generates seem to be the worst. Those guys really think they have a shot at the alliance.

Yeah, UTSA, Tech, Texas State, and Charlotte have convinced themselves they are all going to be invited to the alliance. Thankfully you guy and FIU have the decency to not sit here and drool over the possibility of playing games in Hawaii and North Carolina.

Heck im beginning to like the Georgia Southern fans now after watching those group of fans for a while, and believe me I never thought that would happen. At least those guys are halfway grounded in their expectations.

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - TrojanCampaign - 04-15-2012 01:05 PM

I will give the MWC and CUSA commissioners one thing, they sure know how to make a ugly girl look good. UTSA, UNT, TxSt, La Tech, and UNCC are practically begging to get in the alliance and this is ripping the Sun Belt apart because it makes teams like Middle Tenn want out the door too.

Seriously San Jose, Utah St, UNT, TxSt, UTSA, La Tech, FIU, UNCC, and Middle all can't be in the alliance. That's 9 teams in itself and there's already 16 teams in the two conferences.

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - ark30inf - 04-15-2012 01:30 PM

(04-15-2012 01:05 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  I will give the MWC and CUSA commissioners one thing, they sure know how to make a ugly girl look good. UTSA, UNT, TxSt, La Tech, and UNCC are practically begging to get in the alliance and this is ripping the Sun Belt apart because it makes teams like Middle Tenn want out the door too.

Seriously San Jose, Utah St, UNT, TxSt, UTSA, La Tech, FIU, UNCC, and Middle all can't be in the alliance. That's 9 teams in itself and there's already 16 teams in the two conferences.

Yep. Brilliant marketing to change the forlorn remnants into the next big thing. And the SBC schools have been right in there helping.

How would this be different if all SBC schools had come out on day one and said "We are united and absolutely not going anywhere but are looking at expansion."? Much different.

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - Crump1 - 04-15-2012 01:41 PM

Without a merger, the 2 remaining conferences really aren't going to have much "separation" from the Sun Belt. Aside from USM and Tulsa, CUSA doesn't blow you away compared to the Sun Belt even with Ga. St. and any combination of newcomers that have been mentioned and with a couple of departures.

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - bluephi1914 - 04-15-2012 01:48 PM

(04-15-2012 01:30 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(04-15-2012 01:05 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  I will give the MWC and CUSA commissioners one thing, they sure know how to make a ugly girl look good. UTSA, UNT, TxSt, La Tech, and UNCC are practically begging to get in the alliance and this is ripping the Sun Belt apart because it makes teams like Middle Tenn want out the door too.

Yep. Brilliant marketing to change the forlorn remnants into the next big thing. And the SBC schools have been right in there helping.

How would this be different if all SBC schools had come out on day one and said "We are united and absolutely not going anywhere but are looking at expansion."? Much different.

It would have been much different. However, these schools are chasing the dollar. The business plan advanced was rumored to net $3m per school, but that was as a merger. If you keep the parts the same, which are currently reduced from their prior appearance, add in schools with no penetration into their markets and only do a limited scheduling agreement with another conference, the dollars will not be what was previously thought. There is a chance that the two conferences will only be looking at $1.5m in network money per school given the above factors. If that's the case, what exactly is the benefit of making the move for FIU or UNT? You will have increased travel cost, the need to increase coaches' salaries across the board, and other increased expenses. The final result could be a net gain of $300k per annum. Is that so great of an increase to necessitate a move? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to stay in the SBC,expand it, create a scheduling alliance with the MAC and renegotiate the SBC tv deal? Wouldn't that create more value? I guess I am looking at it like this - can't I get more of an economic benefit from $1m by living in, let's say, Monroe, Louisiana than I can with the same $1m living in Birmingham, Alanama?

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - Side Show Joe - 04-15-2012 03:45 PM

(04-15-2012 01:48 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

It would have been much different. However, these schools are chasing the dollar. The business plan advanced was rumored to net $3m per school, but that was as a merger. If you keep the parts the same, which are currently reduced from their prior appearance, add in schools with no penetration into their markets and only do a limited scheduling agreement with another conference, the dollars will not be what was previously thought. There is a chance that the two conferences will only be looking at $1.5m in network money per school given the above factors. If that's the case, what exactly is the benefit of making the move for FIU or UNT? You will have increased travel cost, the need to increase coaches' salaries across the board, and other increased expenses. The final result could be a net gain of $300k per annum. Is that so great of an increase to necessitate a move? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to stay in the SBC,expand it, create a scheduling alliance with the MAC and renegotiate the SBC tv deal? Wouldn't that create more value? I guess I am looking at it like this - can't I get more of an economic benefit from $1m by living in, let's say, Monroe, Louisiana than I can with the same $1m living in Birmingham, Alanama?

The benefit is playing with established FBS Texas programs (Rice and UTEP). I'm from Houston. My brother is a Rice season ticket holder. The benefit would be a close regional team in Tulsa. I think our closest Sun Belt team is Monroe. Rice, UTEP, and Tulsa have many more alumni in the Dallas metroplex than probably all of the Sun Belt teams, and UNT has more alumni Houston, El Paso, and maybe even Tulsa. When we play these teams in Denton, our fans show up, and these teams bring fans too. It's just a better fit for us. It always has been.

I like the Belt. I like playing MTSU, FIU, ULL, ASU, Troy, WKU, ULM, and FAU. Despite our outlier status in the Belt, I think we have gone a long way towards establishing some good history with our other members. If we go, I hope we can still schedule games.

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - HILTOPWKU - 04-15-2012 04:18 PM

I predict that UNT will be the only school we lose
in the BELT. I also predict we get a real nice TV
Package. I also predict we get 2 or 3 more fine Institutions
Of Learning. Sun BELT is looking UP folks.
02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
CUSA you are in for a rude awakening.

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - BRtransplant - 04-16-2012 06:14 AM

All SBC schools will never come out and say "we are united and absolutely not going anywhere" any more than all CUSA or MWC schools will. Every school wants to improve its position in the pecking order. In general, the way you do that is by the company you keep. CUSA and MWC schools all covet AQ conference affiliation, along with the money and prestige that comes with it. WAC, MAC, and SBC schools generally understand that the next step in the growth of their programs is a step up to either the MWC or CUSA. The only schools that would ever come out and say that they're not leaving their current conferences are the schools that know that nobody is going to ask them to. They are also the ones that will say, even though they know it isn't true, that they believe the changes being made in conference alignment are a good thing for their own conference. What else would they say?

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - techdawg88 - 04-16-2012 06:54 AM

Without a merger I could see it more likely that CUSA goes back to 12 and possibly adds 3 Sun Belt schools (UNT, FIU, & Middle Tenn.) as well as LaTech

RE: mySA: Your daily realignment speculation - Vobserver - 04-16-2012 07:11 AM

(04-16-2012 06:54 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Without a merger I could see it more likely that CUSA goes back to 12 and possibly adds 3 Sun Belt schools (UNT, FIU, & Middle Tenn.) as well as LaTech

Scratch Tech for a big market UTSA or Charlotte, and you are probably right.