CSNbbs
Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Charles Harris Memorial People's Forum (/forum-511.html)
+------ Thread: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? (/thread-565197.html)

Pages: 1 2

Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - FUT - 04-10-2012 11:55 AM

We have at least one mockingbird (it may be more) around our house that has turned into a real SOB. It has attacked me in the past and is now going after my wife. Just now I watched my dog and this little SOB go to war on my patio. How in the world can I get rid of it? Anyone know?

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - 99Tiger - 04-10-2012 12:08 PM

All mockingbirds are SOB's. They're mean little birds.

I don't know how to get rid of it though.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - JTiger - 04-10-2012 12:10 PM

Shotgun

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - ksigtigerdood - 04-10-2012 12:22 PM

[Image: mockyeah.gif]

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - Briskbas - 04-10-2012 12:24 PM

It's probably a pair, and they probably have a nest full of eggs that they are protecting, and they probably started attacking you and your family when you got too close to the nest. Unfortunately, mokingbirds, in addition to being very aggressive in defending their territory, tend to have long memories, and once they've determined that you are a threat, probably won't stop going after you until their hatchlings are full fledged, which takes 30 to 45 days total.

I had a pair downtown in the park next to the 200 Jefferson building that went after me for two straight years in the month of May. Annoying as hell.

It's illegal to kill American songbirds, so a shotgun isn't really an option, and there's not really anything you'll be able to do to run them off either. I would find out where the nest is (mockingbirds tend to like holly, but are by no means exclusive to it), which should be easy once the chicks hatch (their high pitched screechy squalling is unmistakeable) and avoid it for now. And then I would destroy it later on in the summer once the family has moved on to discourage that pair from taking up so close to your house again.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - mapdude - 04-10-2012 12:24 PM

Find it's nest. That is what it is protecting.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - Briskbas - 04-10-2012 12:31 PM

Also, the attacks are pretty much harmless. Mockingbirds are basically all bravado. They will go after anything, including crows and hawks. I've even seen video of one going after a mountain lion. It's kind of hilarious if you arent on the receiving end of it.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - umim - 04-10-2012 12:56 PM

Scout this out:
[Image: tokillamockingbird.jpg]
(sorry)

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - tigergreen - 04-10-2012 01:11 PM

(04-10-2012 12:56 PM)umim Wrote:  Scout this out:
(sorry)

damn. just beat me to it.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - Tigers2B1 - 04-10-2012 01:12 PM

(04-10-2012 11:55 AM)FUT Wrote:  We have at least one mockingbird (it may be more) around our house that has turned into a real SOB. It has attacked me in the past and is now going after my wife. Just now I watched my dog and this little SOB go to war on my patio. How in the world can I get rid of it? Anyone know?

No kidding. Mockingbirds can be VERY aggressive. My mom had a pair build a nest in her front yard. She got dive bombed whenever she went out and it lasted about three weeks. Next time I promised I'd go over, put on some protective gear, and get rid of the nest.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - Tigerbert - 04-10-2012 01:17 PM

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7EVwOhdRog8fLPRHd3Sq...mDexWh65Jw]

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - TIGERCITY - 04-10-2012 01:24 PM

(04-10-2012 11:55 AM)FUT Wrote:  We have at least one mockingbird (it may be more) around our house that has turned into a real SOB. It has attacked me in the past and is now going after my wife. Just now I watched my dog and this little SOB go to war on my patio. How in the world can I get rid of it? Anyone know?

I hope he leaves your poor wife and dog alone --- but honestly, I hope he pecks the hell out of you.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - bengltgrs - 04-10-2012 01:49 PM

There is very little you can do. Mockers are particularly agressive now since they have begun preparing their nests....as well as mating..... and....consequently... are very agressive.....much like a woman with early stages of PMS. I have a small bird sanctuary and experience the same "attention" from the mockers. I try to just ignore them although it is difficult. They should calm down a bit in a few days.The mocker is Tennessee's state bird.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - NigelTufnel - 04-10-2012 02:25 PM

They may be harboring WMD, I'd be careful.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - BandwagonJumper - 04-10-2012 02:40 PM

[Image: Ralphie.jpg]

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - BartlettTigerFan - 04-10-2012 03:06 PM

(04-10-2012 01:24 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

I hope he leaves your poor wife and dog alone --- but honestly, I hope he pecks the hell out of you.

03-lmfao

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - TigerInPrisonWithALaptop - 04-10-2012 03:12 PM

[Image: frajola9.gif]

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - UofM_Tiger - 04-10-2012 05:02 PM

(04-10-2012 12:10 PM)JTiger Wrote:  Shotgun

I find a pellet gun works better in an urban setting. Make take you longer, but if you are judicious with its use, the neighbors are less likely to call the cops.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - aTxTIGER - 04-10-2012 05:04 PM

Carry a tennis racket and hit the **** out of em.

RE: Mockingbird attacks. anyone know how to get rid of them? - QuitoTiger - 04-10-2012 05:17 PM

(04-10-2012 12:56 PM)umim Wrote:  Scout this out:
(sorry)

Harper. Hopper. Hoppuh. Hoppuh. Harper.