CSNbbs
Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? (/thread-564459.html)

Pages: 1 2

Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - KPJ - 04-04-2012 02:29 PM

Talk about things changing and changing very quickly...

In the month since the end of the season ended, UofM has lost graduating seniors (which is supposed to happen), three players as transfers and now it looks like Trey Burke is leaving for the NBA Michigan freshman Trey Burke is leaving Ann Arbor after just one season, sources told CBSSports -- http://cbsprt.co/HNkGDM

I know they've got talent coming in, but that's A LOT to replace in one in one year...

Could the #EMUHoops program be better than the UofM program next year?

I know we'll have to wait and see, but... It should be a fun one to discuss...

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - holybovine - 04-04-2012 02:36 PM

This is the worst thread ever made on this site, and that's saying something.

I'm really excited about EMU basketball going forward. We'll have a great roster. That said, I would switch rosters with U of M anytime. Anyone who believes in the validity of high-caliber recruiting would do the same.

How about we focus on being better than the rest of the MAC?

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - emu steve - 04-04-2012 02:42 PM

I'm awaiting WolverineEagle's comment. Lol.

(I may need to find the ignore button if he gets a little overheated).

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - EA3 - 04-04-2012 02:46 PM

(04-04-2012 02:36 PM)holybovine Wrote:  This is the worst thread ever made on this site, and that's saying something.

I'm really excited about EMU basketball going forward. We'll have a great roster. That said, I would switch rosters with U of M anytime. Anyone who believes in the validity of high-caliber recruiting would do the same.

How about we focus on being better than the rest of the MAC?

^this

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - KPJ - 04-04-2012 03:00 PM

<------ Author of the Worst Thread Ever (As awarded by holybovine)

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - emu steve - 04-04-2012 03:06 PM

maybe a better way to frame this question:

1). EMU might be the most improved team in the MAC next year?

2). UofM suffers (fill in adjective here) losses from their '11/'12 team?

OR if someone wants, predict EMU's and UofM's Sagarin rankings for '12/'13.

E.g., EMU moves up 100 or even 125 positions. UofM moves down 25 positions. Pick your own numbers.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - emu steve - 04-04-2012 03:14 PM

All of that said, KPJ might be saying 'Watch out next year as EMU could be one of the real surprises in D-I ball".

That would narrow the focus to EMU and not make the comparison 'complex' - how much better will EMU be? how much worse will UofM be?

P.S. It is my view EMU could be one of the real surprises next year.

Reminds me of '93/'94 (?) when Braun added 6 - 7 (?) new players (e.g., Boykins, Dial, Head, Zajac, Nink, etc.) to a mediocre team and produced a NIT team (and a year later the team further improved to beat Duke in the NCAAs).

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - KPJ - 04-04-2012 03:17 PM

In the grand scheme of things, I understand that UofM is not the measuring stick that EMU should be using at this point in the game (or possibly ever), but with them being right down the street and there being so many "fans" it's always fun to throw a jab out there once in a while and watch the reaction................

I didn't grow up in Michigan. So I don't have the inherent awe of UofM in my DNA that I see in so many others.

To the point about EMU improving in the MAC, I think they'll be the most improved team in the MAC hands down.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - emu steve - 04-04-2012 03:22 PM

I think KPJ is getting way ahead of himself on EMU vs. UofM.

It did happen in '97 (I think) when UofM was nationally ranked and we were damn close and beat UofM in Ann Arbor.

In '13, I'd be happy to make the NITs like the '94 EMU team did and worry about '14 in '13/'14 season.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - EMUAARON - 04-04-2012 03:24 PM

(04-04-2012 03:17 PM)KPJ Wrote:  I didn't grow up in Michigan. So I don't have the inherent awe of UofM in my DNA that I see in so many others.

03-lmfao03-lmfao this made me laugh

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - KPJ - 04-04-2012 03:33 PM

(04-04-2012 03:24 PM)EMUAARON Wrote:  
(04-04-2012 03:17 PM)KPJ Wrote:  I didn't grow up in Michigan. So I don't have the inherent awe of UofM in my DNA that I see in so many others.

Seriously though... It's like some people hear "hail to the victors" and you'd think they saw a double rainbow (click here if you don't get the reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI&feature=related)... It's funny to me... I don't hold anything against anyone from UofM. I happen to be married to a grad and we have a good time with the UofM/EMU jokes...

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - EagleSam - 04-04-2012 03:57 PM

I don't think we will be better than them, but I'd give us a fighting chance to win a game between the two of us. For some reason though, they won't schedule EMU despite our close proximity.

The problem is the matchup. Beilein's teams love to shoot and Murphy lives and dies by the 3-2... Not good for us. Thing is, they lose Burke, Douglass, Novak, and Smotrycz...their best 3-point shooters. If they don't hit shots, they'd have a very tough time scoring inside against Riley, Bryant, Harris, Still, and Balkema. We'd definitely have a shot to win if the transfers can put points on the board.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - emu steve - 04-04-2012 04:01 PM

(04-04-2012 03:24 PM)EMUAARON Wrote:  

I can't resist:

The human gnome project apparently missed the 'collegiate sports gene' which I think is found on the 23rd chromosome.

I think it used to be found almost exclusively on the Y chromosome, but it seems to have mutated and it is now also found on the X chromosome as well, although in slightly small numbers.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - Ken Barna - 04-04-2012 05:05 PM

Dear Friends,
With all their loses, (U-M personnel) this coming season would be the time to schedule them and have a chance of beating them. If, they are counting on freshmen being starters for the whole season, they have no depth. This is what I have said earlier on another thread. Most of the time, you cannot count on freshmen to carry you through the season. If, they are counting on these incoming freshmen to save them, they are in trouble.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - emu79 - 04-04-2012 05:33 PM

My 2 cents. I hope U of M does well in its pond and we do well in ours.
EMU athletics is beginning a brand new area on an upward swing. Therefore I really don't give a bag of donuts about U of M. If I'm spending $$$ its to go support EMU and its teams.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - EA3 - 04-04-2012 08:30 PM

Michigan thumbs is nose at MAC schools in bball. WMU had success against them in the late 90's. Ever since then, they won't schedule us. Their attitude is they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing squads like wmu or emu. It's sad.

It also doesn't help us get michigan on the schedule when hawkins has a public feud with Beilien about "stealing" our assistant coaches.

I always thought it would be great to hold a Michigan bball tourney in Grand Rapids at VanAndel. MSU, Michigan, wmu, emu, cmu, Oakland, Detroit, and grand valley is the host school. 3 games in 3 days, nobody plays in conference opponents, round robin style. It wouldn't generate a winner, but the crowds would be great and the exposure is good.

You guys not being on michigans schedule is borderline criminal though.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - EagleSam - 04-04-2012 09:47 PM

That's a hell of an idea. It could change locations every year... They could even do it at the Palace every other year with Van Andel alternating. I'd watch that for sure. Only hiccup would be EMU, WMU, and CMU potentially playing OOC games against each other. Dont think I've ever seen preseason tourney games with opponents in the same conference.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - EA3 - 04-05-2012 07:19 AM

(04-04-2012 09:47 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  That's a hell of an idea. It could change locations every year... They could even do it at the Palace every other year with Van Andel alternating. I'd watch that for sure. Only hiccup would be EMU, WMU, and CMU potentially playing OOC games against each other. Dont think I've ever seen preseason tourney games with opponents in the same conference.

Round robin format:

WMU vs Michigan, MSU, GVSU

CMU vs Oakland, Detroit, MSU

EMU vs Michigan, Oakland, Detroit

Detoit vs EMU, CMU, Michigan

Michigan vs Detroit, wmu, emu

Msu vs wmu, cmu, grand valley

Oakland vs emu, cmu, grand valley

Grand valley vs Oakland, emu and msu

Keep it in grand rapids because it's the most neutral spot for everyone except gvsu.

I'd buy tics to that every year. 12 games in three days. The money stays in Michigan. Fox sports Detroit picks this up for sure. Big ten network for some of the games.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - emu steve - 04-05-2012 09:41 AM

Very interesting. Six double headers over three days. "Pure Michigan"...

OR 8 teams x 2 games each = 8 games over two days. Afternoon/evening doubleheaders in a "Pure Michigan" classic.

Put UofM, MSU, Oakland and UDM on one side and CMU/EMU/WMU and GVSU on the other.

E.g., EMU would draw either (UofM or MSU) and (Oakland or UDM).

CMU would draw similar (UofM or MSU) and (Oakland or UDM)

Ditto for WMU and GVSU.

RE: Could #EMUHoops be better than UofM next year? - EA3 - 04-05-2012 09:52 AM

(04-05-2012 09:41 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Very interesting. Six double headers over three days. "Pure Michigan"...

OR 8 teams x 2 games each = 8 games over two days. Afternoon/evening doubleheaders in a "Pure Michigan" classic.

Put UofM, MSU, Oakland and UDM on one side and CMU/EMU/WMU and GVSU on the other.

E.g., EMU would draw either (UofM or MSU) and (Oakland or UDM).

CMU would draw similar (UofM or MSU) and (Oakland or UDM)

Ditto for WMU and GVSU.

I'm down with that. Anything is better than nothing.

Similar things could be happening in Iowa.

http://thegazette.com/2012/03/19/iowa-ad-decision-on-in-state-basketball-series-coming-soon/