CSNbbs
Rumor on Clemson boards.... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Rumor on Clemson boards.... (/thread-559252.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Rumor on Clemson boards.... - catdaddy_2402 - 03-06-2012 03:08 PM

....that ESPN is negotiating with the ACC for Friday Night games.

ACC Friday Nights?

EXTREMELY BAD IDEA!!!!! Friday nights down south are high school football. If we do this we just cut our own throats recruiting wise. Just ask East Carolina if playing on Friday can have long term negative effects for your program.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - ClairtonPanther - 03-06-2012 03:11 PM

I'm no fan of Friday Night games. Unfortunately in this day and age to get what you want $$$ wise you have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - OrangeCrush22 - 03-06-2012 03:31 PM

If more money is involved then I'd go for it. We don't know who'd be playing in the games. Maybe SU and BC will get a lot of them. Our biggest crowd last season was a Friday night game.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - catdaddy_2402 - 03-06-2012 03:39 PM

(03-06-2012 03:11 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I'm no fan of Friday Night games. Unfortunately in this day and age to get what you want $$$ wise you have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

What good is the money going to do when high schools refuse to allow you to come into their schools to recruit?

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - ClairtonPanther - 03-06-2012 03:42 PM

(03-06-2012 03:39 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  
(03-06-2012 03:11 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I'm no fan of Friday Night games. Unfortunately in this day and age to get what you want $$$ wise you have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

What good is the money going to do when high schools refuse to allow you to come into their schools to recruit?

High schools aren't going to refuse to allow coach's to come into their schools to recruit due to Friday Night Games. The Big East has played Friday Night Games for a while now and the same w/ the PAC 12.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - catdaddy_2402 - 03-06-2012 04:00 PM

(03-06-2012 03:42 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
(03-06-2012 03:39 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  

High schools aren't going to refuse to allow coach's to come into their schools to recruit due to Friday Night Games. The Big East has played Friday Night Games for a while now and the same w/ the PAC 12.

Again, ask ECU what happened when they played a Friday night game against the wishes of NC high school coaches. The issue has been brought up in the SCHSL before and they are vehemently against Friday night college games.

Or you could just read this:
Friday college football angers HS coaches

Quote:High school coaches across the state are upset to see college football encroaching on a night which once exclusively meant high school games. But the conflict isn't likely to end soon.

"I have very strong feelings about this issue," said Hillsborough High coach Earl Garcia, a past president of the Florida Athletic Coaches Association. "The NFL waits until college season has ended to play any games on Saturdays. It's like scheduling a varsity game on a junior varsity night. I feel like the Big East is biting the hand that feeds them, and I don't think that sends a good message."

Quote:Leavitt said the school benefits from the exposure of an ESPN weeknight game, especially with recruits. He said high school coaches have expressed their displeasure to him, and those coaches have also gone well over Leavitt's head.

The FACA, speaking for 6,500 members across the state, sent a letter to Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese last fall, expressing "disappointment" that the conference plays five games a year on Friday nights as part of its TV contract with ESPN.

The letter said the scheduling conflict shows "a complete lack of consideration" for high school football, estimating that 20,000 fans who attended the USF-West Virginia game would have gone to high school games that night. Hillsborough County does not track high school attendance.

The letter also said coaches were threatening to ban Big East coaches from their campuses, warning even that "the state legislature will take action if this policy is not changed."

or this:
East Carolina football decade review

Quote:The last loss was to Cincinnati in the infamous Friday night game, an issue which hurt ECU’s relationship with high schools within the state of North Carolina since the game was being played on national television while the high school state playoffs were going on.

It might work up north, but down south Friday night is for the high schools. Besides, Friday night games end up hurting recruiting because you can't host players when they are playing at the same time.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - ClairtonPanther - 03-06-2012 04:13 PM

Again, they're not going to ban schools from recruiting their kids, and there are ways around this. Simply don't schedule NC teams for Friday Night games. Pitt doesn't like home games on Friday but has played some away games Friday Nights so away games against BC, VT, and Syracuse seems like they would make sense. You could almost see which schools will be playing these games.

Unfortunately this has been the path ESPN been paving for sometime now. I personally don't like it because I'd rather attend HS games as well, being that I'm a HS fan first. And TBH, Friday Nights are the worst night for TV, because of movies, no school the next day and so on.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - cuseroc - 03-06-2012 04:14 PM

To me this seems more and more that Espn is preparing to do without BE fb. Thursday and friday nights were staples for BE fb. Looks like these dates are being used up by other leagues under contract with Espn. If Espn is not going to be a serious bidder for BE fb, then there wont be a reason for the next tv contract to be driven up by competitors. Not a good sign for the BE as it seems that Espn is willing to let them go to another network, since they were able to still get Pitt and Syracuse under contract with the Acc.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - orangefan - 03-06-2012 04:27 PM

Seems plausible, even likely. The ACC is asking for an upgrade in pay. To get that, the conference has to give something up that increases the value to ESPN. To maximize the value of its recent deal, for instance, the P12 agree to 8 games on Thursday and Friday nights. Friday nights are becoming more and more important as the NFL looks to take over Thursday, so ESPN is now looking to position Friday nights as a major college football TV night.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - TexanMark - 03-06-2012 04:28 PM

I can see the ACC signing up for 2 or 3 of these games a season. I'm sure Cuse wouldn't mind hosting 1 or 2 of them.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - orangefan - 03-06-2012 04:38 PM

(03-06-2012 04:28 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  I can see the ACC signing up for 2 or 3 of these games a season. I'm sure Cuse wouldn't mind hosting 1 or 2 of them.

Agreed to SU hosting, we hosted 2 Friday games in 2011 and drew solid crowds. One each at home and on the road on a regular basis would work if that helps the tv deal.

As far as the ACC, I'd bet ESPN is looking for a bigger commitment than 2 or 3 games. More likely 4-5.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - Hokie Mark - 03-06-2012 04:38 PM

1) As long as NFL only has Thursday night games on the NFL network (and not on ESPN) then ESPN will continue to have Thursday night college football games.

2) Between the two states I've lived in NC and SC for most of my life, and I agree w/ Cat Daddy - Friday nights in the South are for High School (it's actually a pretty big deal). You can get away with the first week or two (before the HS season starts), but that's about all. HS playoffs end around the same time as the conference championship games. Bowl season is wide open.

3) No way would I accept being treated like the SEC's little brother -- ACC games need to be in Prime time on Saturday night! Perhaps wee need all ACC fans everywhere to call or write ESPN/ABC and let them know that we the consumer DEMAND more Saturday night ACC games!!!

4) I'd rather see Wednesday night games instead of Friday night; Monday night would be ideal, but ESPN already shows NFL on Monday night, so I doubt they'd be very interested (but you never know - nothing much on ESPN2 on Monday night, is there?)

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - catdaddy_2402 - 03-06-2012 04:45 PM

(03-06-2012 04:13 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Again, they're not going to ban schools from recruiting their kids, and there are ways around this. Simply don't schedule NC teams for Friday Night games. Pitt doesn't like home games on Friday but has played some away games Friday Nights so away games against BC, VT, and Syracuse seems like they would make sense. You could almost see which schools will be playing these games.

Unfortunately this has been the path ESPN been paving for sometime now. I personally don't like it because I'd rather attend HS games as well, being that I'm a HS fan first. And TBH, Friday Nights are the worst night for TV, because of movies, no school the next day and so on.

Schools can recruit whomever they want, but they most certainly can and will ban them from visits on the campus of the high school and refuse to send a school any tape. I know this to be a fact because I ended up having to do a recruiting tape for one of my former softball players because her HS head coach refused to deal with the college she wanted to attend. When I approached both the school district and the SC High School League about the issue I was told that the individual school's AD and Principal had control over who could or couldn't recruit on campus.

FWIW I eventually found out that the coach at the college in question bailed out of a coaching clinic commitment when the HS HC was in charge of the particular coaches group and left them without a keynote instructor only days before the clinic. Turns out the college HC went to teach at another clinic instead because it paid more. I can understand the bad blood there.

Here's what the N.C. High School Athletic Association had to say about an Appalachian State Friday night game back in '08.
Friday night lights getting crowded

Quote:Charlie Adams, the executive director of the N.C. High School Athletic Association, put out a written statement on Wednesday morning explaining the Association's stance on the topic. "There has been no change in the position of the North Carolina High School Athletic Association and its concern about televising college football games on Friday night," Adams said, "We do not support any college or university televising a football game in the traditional Friday night high school football slot."

That was two Southern Conference teams facing off. How happy do you think they are going to be when they have to go up against two ACC teams?

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - XLance - 03-06-2012 04:46 PM

Was the rumor started by Kornbluth?

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - catdaddy_2402 - 03-06-2012 04:53 PM

(03-06-2012 04:46 PM)XLance Wrote:  Was the rumor started by Kornbluth?

No, not Korncoot. David Hood, writer for Tigernet in a radio interview. If Hood said it, then it's almost a stone cold lock as he's not one to throw stuff out there just to see if it sticks.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - ClairtonPanther - 03-06-2012 04:57 PM

I lived in Florida for a few years, so I do know what big time HS Fball is all about. I stand corrected on HS Coach's banning schools, but I do feel that it's a little dumb, but it is what it is.

Now say the ACC commits to 5 Friday Night games, the league can still work around Clemson and the NC schools on this.

Game 1 or 2 Sun Belt/1AA @ any ACC School
Game 2 WVU @ Maryland/ MAC/1AA @ Syracuse
Game 3 Pitt @ Virginia Tech or Miami
Game 4 Pitt @ Syracuse or BC
Game 5 Syracuse vs BC

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - catdaddy_2402 - 03-06-2012 05:04 PM

Here's the article I was looking for regarding when ECU played on Friday night.
Hard to make sense of Friday night deal

Quote:East Carolina's proud football program is plagued with a festering sore these days, and it has nothing to do with the Pirates' disappointing loss in Durham last Saturday.

In fact, if university officials were banking on the sore subsiding after the initial hullabaloo died down over infringing on the Friday night turf of the state's high school teams, that wish took a direct hit with yesterday's report by Channel 9 sports anchor Brian Bailey that South Carolina high school officials, like some of their northern neighbors, are taking steps that would result in retribution against ECU.

What initially appeared as a no-brainer decision as the financial and exposure details gradually emerged on Bonesville.net and in other media outlets has slowly evolved into one of East Carolina's most questionable moves. With one firm handshake and a quick stroke of the pen, the bridges connecting Pirate football to its neighboring high school programs were torched.

That much was evident by the decisions of three — Williamston, Southern Durham, and High Point Central — to ban ECU recruiters from their campuses. Williamston has since lifted its ban, but the damage, as you might say, has been done.

According to the WNCT-TV report, high schools South of the Border are being encouraged by their governing body to adopt a similar policy, meaning it could be just a matter of time before talent-rich Virginia jumps on board the blackball movement.

At the center of this controversy, of course, is ECU athletic director Mike Hamrick's July decision to move the Pirates' November 2 showdown with Cincinnati to the first Friday night in December.

Quote:When news hit the press, the NCHSAA launched a PR war worthy of a gubernatorial race. Head honchos Charlie Adams and Dick Knox slung more mud on East Carolina than Duke fullback Alex Wade did on a 24-carry, 109-yard day.

The NCHSAA's "Dollars and Sense" campaign might be considered extreme when you consider its lack of recent public scrutiny towards the ACC's scheduling of early-season roundball tilts on the hallowed night. But in defense, Adams and Knox vow that's a battle they once fought, too, but finally threw in the towel when realizing the basketball-centric league would have its way.

In actuality, it would be inaccurate to label that stance by the NCHSAA as hypocritical, because there is one gigantic difference in these two situations — the ACC never promised a thing.

The more compelling storyline in this dilemma isn't the shattered trust between East Carolina and its football feeder system, though this could be the most damaging side effect. Front and center of it all is the increasingly strained relationship between Hamrick and head coach Steve Logan.

Logan is adamant in his disapproval of the move, citing the importance of preserving Friday nights for high schools to shine.

Quote:It's not a case of crying over spilt milk for Logan, who in his 11th season is the winningest coach in school history. For more than a decade he has worked the NC recruiting trails relentlessly, developing trust, building relationships with the state's high school coaches and cultivating a strategic recruiting base that has come to serve as the core of ECU's talent pool.

That trust is now being tried, and some of those relationships have been cut off indefinitely, perhaps for the long haul, while others have been stressed to the breaking point.

"If a player is good enough to play at East Carolina," said one high school athletic director, "then I'm sure we can find him another place to play."

Quote:All in all, you have to admit ole East Carolina alum Charlie Adams had a point. When you really sit down and think about it, all those ESPN dollars just don't make sense.

Think it didn't have an effect?

ECU 2002 recruiting class Recruiting class before the Friday night game. 9 total players, 7 from NC

ECU 2003 recruiting class 19 total players, 7 from NC.

ECU 2004 recruiting class 30 total players, 4 from NC.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - orangefan - 03-06-2012 05:06 PM

(03-06-2012 04:38 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  1) As long as NFL only has Thursday night games on the NFL network (and not on ESPN) then ESPN will continue to have Thursday night college football games.

ESPN will certainly keep showing Thursday night games, with more 7 pm kickoffs in the forecast.

(03-06-2012 04:38 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  2) Between the two states I've lived in NC and SC for most of my life, and I agree w/ Cat Daddy - Friday nights in the South are for High School (it's actually a pretty big deal). You can get away with the first week or two (before the HS season starts), but that's about all. HS playoffs end around the same time as the conference championship games. Bowl season is wide open.

This is why ESPN avoided Friday night games for so long. I think they respect this issue and will try to schedule to accommodate it to some extent. For instance, I'd look for a fair number of 9 pm kickoffs and games played where high school football is not as much of a religion as it is down South (Syracuse?!).

(03-06-2012 04:38 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  3) No way would I accept being treated like the SEC's little brother -- ACC games need to be in Prime time on Saturday night! Perhaps wee need all ACC fans everywhere to call or write ESPN/ABC and let them know that we the consumer DEMAND more Saturday night ACC games!!!

The SEC prime time game is ESPN's highest rated window. The ACC gets a shot at it when the SEC game is on CBS. However, the SEC is prohibited from being shown on ABC. That slot is wide open to any ESPN conference that earns it by winning on the field.

(03-06-2012 04:38 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  4) I'd rather see Wednesday night games instead of Friday night; Monday night would be ideal, but ESPN already shows NFL on Monday night, so I doubt they'd be very interested (but you never know - nothing much on ESPN2 on Monday night, is there?)
A couple of Wednesday games may be on the table as well. I'd bet that Syracuse would have more objection to playing these than Fridays.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - SoCalPanther - 03-06-2012 05:16 PM

(03-06-2012 05:06 PM)orangefan Wrote:  A couple of Wednesday games may be on the table as well. I'd bet that Syracuse would have more objection to playing these than Fridays.

Please no Wednesday night games! When Pitt left the BE, I thought that was the end of that.

RE: Rumor on Clemson boards.... - ClairtonPanther - 03-06-2012 05:20 PM

(03-06-2012 05:16 PM)Hoquista Wrote:  
(03-06-2012 05:06 PM)orangefan Wrote:  A couple of Wednesday games may be on the table as well. I'd bet that Syracuse would have more objection to playing these than Fridays.

Please no Wednesday night games! When Pitt left the BE, I thought that was the end of that.

Agree. I'm more open to Thursday Games than I am Friday or Wednesday.