CSNbbs
2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: MACbbs Archives (/forum-480.html)
+----- Thread: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report (/thread-555605.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Nick in Cleveland - 02-16-2012 09:13 AM

It's scaled down from year's past, here is the VDS MAC recruiting report.

Data due diligence was taken from several published sources including Scout.com, Rivals, ESPN and many local and regional recruiting services along with individual published stories on MAC recruits.

http://www.vandelaysports.com/football/articles/2012-mac-football-recruiting-report_0211512.html

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Louis Kitton - 02-16-2012 10:14 AM

Kent State has made tremendous strides in recruiting from where the program was 10 years ago.

Ohio's classes at this point are mainly to fill specific needs. They rarely sign more than 20 and have a vibrant walk on program awarding a few scholarships each year.

I would note that you have Buffalo ranked #12 in the overall rankings yet they have the conferences #1 QB recruit out of Lexington, Ohio. This goes to show there is a lot of parity in these rankings.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - JHG722 - 02-16-2012 04:44 PM

Nate Smith not in your top 20 is absolutely hilarious. The kid is a stud and a major, major get for Temple.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Nick in Cleveland - 02-16-2012 10:51 PM

Louis,

All of the MAC schools each signed some nice players and by and large there was a lot of parity. Overall I really liked Miami's class and the more video I watched the more I was impressed of them. Ohio signed a lot of solid blue-collar guys but the TE from Cleveland is a real stud.

The school that really surprised me was Eastern Michigan; they really signed some very nice players. Usually EMU gets guys with up-tick but not very often do they land guys who can play DI-A football from day one; they signed a few that certainly can this year and the rest should be in their two-deep line up by year two.

UMass & Akron struggled compared to the rest and that's not surprising given their new coaching staffs. Thought NIU could have done a little better and even Ball State in some regard. Temple, Kent State and Central all did very well too. Western continues to find some nice players in Florida, most of their best recruits come from the Sunshine State once again.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - CMUprof - 02-16-2012 11:15 PM

(02-16-2012 10:14 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Kent State has made tremendous strides in recruiting from where the program was 10 years ago.

Ohio's classes at this point are mainly to fill specific needs. They rarely sign more than 20 and have a vibrant walk on program awarding a few scholarships each year.

I would note that you have Buffalo ranked #12 in the overall rankings yet they have the conferences #1 QB recruit out of Lexington, Ohio. This goes to show there is a lot of parity in these rankings.

According to Rivals CMU had a higher ranked QB, Toledo's was equal to UB's QB.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Campbell4President - 02-16-2012 11:27 PM

(02-16-2012 11:15 PM)CMUprof Wrote:  
(02-16-2012 10:14 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Kent State has made tremendous strides in recruiting from where the program was 10 years ago.

Toledo's QB seems to have a lot of upside potential and was the one that I was hoping we would land a year ago when the new recruits showed up after signing day. With that said, if you watch his videos, he is still very raw so if on merits of playing right away, he probably takes a seat behind any that appear to be college game ready (if CMU and UB signed those types of QBs).

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Boca Rocket - 02-17-2012 07:52 AM

Watch film on all 3 . Watch who's mobile, who releases the FB at the DL's chest, and find out who's damaged goods.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Polish Hammer - 02-17-2012 08:17 AM

(02-16-2012 04:44 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  Nate Smith not in your top 20 is absolutely hilarious. The kid is a stud and a major, major get for Temple.
Shame that Temple always gets slighted, always has the top recruits and recruiting class yet never gets credit for it.03-weeping

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - BrianNowicki - 02-17-2012 10:16 AM

(02-16-2012 11:27 PM)Beckman4President Wrote:  

Toledo's QB seems to have a lot of upside potential and was the one that I was hoping we would land a year ago when the new recruits showed up after signing day. With that said, if you watch his videos, he is still very raw so if on merits of playing right away, he probably takes a seat behind any that appear to be college game ready (if CMU and UB signed those types of QBs).

Toledo's QB is not going to play anyway in his first two years because this fall there is Dantin and Owens and then in 2013 there is still Owens.

IMO, almost every QB would benefit from a redshirt year anyway.......no matter how good he is.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - BrianNowicki - 02-17-2012 10:19 AM

(02-17-2012 08:17 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(02-16-2012 04:44 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  Nate Smith not in your top 20 is absolutely hilarious. The kid is a stud and a major, major get for Temple.
Shame that Temple always gets slighted, always has the top recruits and recruiting class yet never gets credit for it.03-weeping

I have to agree with JHG722 about Nate Smith. There are DB's and a safety on the list and Smith is much more heralded than any of them. There are 3 or 4 Temple guys on the list, and probably only one of them should be as highly regarded as Smith.

It's hard to do these lists though. IMO, WR Danny Larkins should be on the list instead of one or two of the Toledo guys on the list. But this is one person's opinion and it's very difficult to come up with these type of lists anyway. Some deserving prospects are going to get left off. Just the way it is.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - CMUprof - 02-17-2012 10:28 AM

(02-17-2012 07:52 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

Watch film on all 3 . Watch who's mobile, who releases the FB at the DL's chest, and find out who's damaged goods.

My point is that I don't see there being a clear #1 QB. Not sure what you mean by damaged goods as all I looked at was rankings. But my guess is that the coaches and recruiters probably have a better idea of who should pan out than you or I. For all we know a 2 star QB for Akron (or whomever) will turn out the best, like LeFevour and Harnish did.

Our QB is a JUCO transfer that was originally coming to CMU but left with Jones to Cinci. He transferred and led GRCC to an undefeated season last year. He has 3 years of eligibility left, I think he will do pretty well here.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Boca Rocket - 02-17-2012 10:44 AM

(02-17-2012 10:28 AM)CMUprof Wrote:  
(02-17-2012 07:52 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

My point is that I don't see there being a clear #1 QB. Not sure what you mean by damaged goods as all I looked at was rankings. But my guess is that the coaches and recruiters probably have a better idea of who should pan out than you or I. For all we know a 2 star QB for Akron (or whomever) will turn out the best, like LeFevour and Harnish did.

Our QB is a JUCO transfer that was originally coming to CMU but left with Jones to Cinci. He transferred and led GRCC to an undefeated season last year. He has 3 years of eligibility left, I think he will do pretty well here.

Definitely familiar with Kater.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - El Grande Flippero - 02-17-2012 11:30 AM

BG #7? Yeah...sure....

James Sanford is a hell of a player, but I think the guys who will eventually be seen as stars out of the class for BG are Hallmon, Watson and Minns. Watson is listed as a 5-11 CB, but he's actually 6-1. A very quick and fluid 6-1"

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Polish Hammer - 02-17-2012 01:59 PM

Somebody would actually list a player smaller than he actually is? Usually, actually almost always they're given size over what they really are.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - NIU007 - 02-17-2012 04:03 PM

(02-16-2012 10:51 PM)Nick in Cleveland Wrote:  Louis,

All of the MAC schools each signed some nice players and by and large there was a lot of parity. Overall I really liked Miami's class and the more video I watched the more I was impressed of them. Ohio signed a lot of solid blue-collar guys but the TE from Cleveland is a real stud.

The school that really surprised me was Eastern Michigan; they really signed some very nice players. Usually EMU gets guys with up-tick but not very often do they land guys who can play DI-A football from day one; they signed a few that certainly can this year and the rest should be in their two-deep line up by year two.

UMass & Akron struggled compared to the rest and that's not surprising given their new coaching staffs. Thought NIU could have done a little better and even Ball State in some regard. Temple, Kent State and Central all did very well too. Western continues to find some nice players in Florida, most of their best recruits come from the Sunshine State once again.

Cool, more motivation for this year's class. Just like Harnish and his class had.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - axeme - 02-17-2012 04:11 PM

(02-17-2012 04:03 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Cool, more motivation for this year's class. Just like Harnish and his class had.

Harnish's class's motivation was Nick's recruit ratings?

Hey, Nick--that's power, baby!

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Polish Hammer - 02-17-2012 05:49 PM

Toledo got some good talent from the Pittsburgh area.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - NIU007 - 02-18-2012 03:53 AM

(02-17-2012 04:11 PM)axeme Wrote:  
(02-17-2012 04:03 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Harnish's class's motivation was Nick's recruit ratings?

Hey, Nick--that's power, baby!

Probably Rivals and Scout but you never know....I don't care where the motivation comes from as long as it leads to more NIU victories.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - Boca Rocket - 02-22-2012 08:35 AM

WMU's WR Wilson is the top talent coming into the MAC. Not even close.

RE: 2012 MAC Football Recruiting Report - JHG722 - 02-22-2012 01:58 PM

(02-22-2012 08:35 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  WMU's WR Wilson is the top talent coming into the MAC. Not even close.

And yet his only other offers were Memphis and Marshall.