CSNbbs
Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: MACbbs Archives (/forum-480.html)
+----- Thread: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! (/thread-555581.html)

Pages: 1 2

Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - TampaKnight - 02-16-2012 12:02 AM

Football achievements:

*2005 MAC Championship

Basketball achievements:

* 2 MAC Tournament championships (2009 and 2011)
* 3 NCAA Tournament appearances (0-3)
* 2-4 in the NIT (wins against Temple and FSU)

Their flavor of this century is soccer, where Akron won the 2010 Division I National Championship in men's soccer. They also regularly DOMINATE MAC regular season and tournament play.

Other sports achievements:

1978 archery national championship
#1 national ranking in men's soccer in 2005

Akron is 40 miles outside of Cleveland, Ohio, the Akron-Cleveland media market is the #18 market in the country.

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - ksu sucks - 02-16-2012 12:07 AM

Har har...

Most Akron fans aren't as obnoxious as the few characters who post on ncaabbs. Almost all of whom are students, by the way...

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - uakronkid - 02-16-2012 12:07 AM

Archery???

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - Sultan of Euphonistan - 02-16-2012 01:20 AM

(02-16-2012 12:07 AM)ksu sucks Wrote:  Har har...

Most Akron fans aren't as obnoxious as the few characters who post on ncaabbs. Almost all of whom are students, by the way...

Well considering the most obnoxious fans I have met that were Akron related were all current students I guess I would have to agree with you. Big exception I had no issues with the marching band members as they were always cool.

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - Louis Kitton - 02-16-2012 09:55 AM

And the MAC is excited about the news.....

Akron leaving helps the MAC in football. Akron might be one of the best basketball programs in the conference but since its a 1 bid league Akron going opens the door for other MAC programs.

The alliance wants to take Akron to damage the MAC. In the end the alliance will only be damaging themselves.

03-lmfao

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - CMUprof - 02-16-2012 10:33 AM

I appreciate Akron as a BB and soccer school and like that they seem to be serious about improving FB. But really? The Alliance wants the MAC's lowest ranked FB program? Our FB Sagarins would get even closer!

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - zipsfan - 02-16-2012 10:44 AM

I can't imagine Akron or any MAC school would be interested in moving to the alliance conference. The set up doesn't make sense. The travel and money are going to make it very hard for a MAC school to consider a move.

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - templefootballfan - 02-16-2012 10:48 AM

IF C-USA goes with 24, there gonna need 4 MAC schools
might not be bad move for Akron
recuriting wise, they can offer kids a chance to play around the country
energize thier fan base with new schools coming into town

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - DrTorch - 02-16-2012 10:51 AM

(02-16-2012 10:33 AM)CMUprof Wrote:  I appreciate Akron as a BB and soccer school and like that they seem to be serious about improving FB. But really? The Alliance wants the MAC's lowest ranked FB program? Our FB Sagarins would get even closer!

But that can change quickly.

Besides, Akron isn't likely to get worse, but there's a good chance they'll get better.

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - Louis Kitton - 02-16-2012 10:56 AM

(02-16-2012 10:48 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  IF C-USA goes with 24, there gonna need 4 MAC schools

That isn't the case because the alliance is also looking at FCS schools like Georgia State and Old Dominion for their eastern pod.

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - DrTorch - 02-16-2012 10:57 AM

(02-16-2012 10:48 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  recuriting wise, they can offer kids a chance to play around the country
Which is not interesting to most recruits or their families.

Quote:energize thier fan base with new schools coming into town

Again meaningless. As if anyone in Akron cares about Tulane or ECU, let alone UNM or Fresno St.

Sports, like politics, are provincal. You get excited about playing the neighboring town, year after year. You get excited about playing across the country once, then the novelty wears off.

Look at the big rivalry games:

ZSU v Mich
Auburn v Alabama
FSU v UCG
ASU v uofa
Ore v Ore St
UGa v UF
Tex v OU
Tex v TAMU
Cal v Stanfraud
Duke v UNC

See, they're all nearby rivals.

Sure U$C v ND is interesting...when they're both good. Otherwise, Trojan fans care more about beating UCLA.

What you're proposing is an excuse for Akron to join, an excuse to do something different. It's not based in reality.

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - Bull_In_Exile - 02-16-2012 11:02 AM

(02-16-2012 10:48 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  IF C-USA goes with 24, there gonna need 4 MAC schools
might not be bad move for Akron
recuriting wise, they can offer kids a chance to play around the country
energize thier fan base with new schools coming into town

Yes sunny Wyoming!

There is a mixed message going on here. On one hand we hear travel won't be bad because they are going to 'pod' the teams now travel will be a selling point? 01-wingedeagle

New schools? Sorry but Tulan and Southern Miss are not going to draw long term any better than Toledo or NIU. There might be a short bump, nothing more.

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - Photodan - 02-16-2012 12:37 PM

(02-16-2012 12:02 AM)TampaKnight Wrote:  Football achievements:

*2005 MAC Championship

Basketball achievements:

* 2 MAC Tournament championships (2009 and 2011)
* 3 NCAA Tournament appearances (0-3)
* 2-4 in the NIT (wins against Temple and FSU)

Their flavor of this century is soccer, where Akron won the 2010 Division I National Championship in men's soccer. They also regularly DOMINATE MAC regular season and tournament play.

Other sports achievements:

1978 archery national championship
#1 national ranking in men's soccer in 2005

Akron is 40 miles outside of Cleveland, Ohio, the Akron-Cleveland media market is the #18 market in the country.
Ummmm, source?

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - Bull_In_Exile - 02-16-2012 12:47 PM

Look in all honesty Akron would not be a terrible addition. They invest money in a new stadium have decent proximity to Cleveland and very good basketball.

But If Akron is being talked about you can bet NIU and Toledo are as well. Maybe even Buffalo...

Just hope this is all smoke an mirrors. If the MAC12 holds Ill be happy, if they hold Temple and UMass ill be thrilled..

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - uakronkid - 02-16-2012 12:49 PM

ARCHERY???

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - ilovegymnast - 02-16-2012 12:51 PM

Akron also had a pretty good rifle club

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - Photodan - 02-16-2012 01:06 PM

The true value of a tv market size ranking should be heavily tempered by that team's popularity in that market. Otherwise, it's a meaningless statistic.

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - Motown Bronco - 02-16-2012 01:22 PM

(02-16-2012 10:57 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(02-16-2012 10:48 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  recuriting wise, they can offer kids a chance to play around the country
Which is not interesting to most recruits or their families.

Quote:energize thier fan base with new schools coming into town

Again meaningless. As if anyone in Akron cares about Tulane or ECU, let alone UNM or Fresno St.

Sports, like politics, are provincal. You get excited about playing the neighboring town, year after year. You get excited about playing across the country once, then the novelty wears off.

Look at the big rivalry games:

ZSU v Mich
Auburn v Alabama
FSU v UCG
ASU v uofa
Ore v Ore St
UGa v UF
Tex v OU
Tex v TAMU
Cal v Stanfraud
Duke v UNC

See, they're all nearby rivals.

Sure U$C v ND is interesting...when they're both good. Otherwise, Trojan fans care more about beating UCLA.

What you're proposing is an excuse for Akron to join, an excuse to do something different. It's not based in reality.

Agreed.

I'll be curious to see how the Alliance and the new Big East patchwork conferences pan out. I don't think they'll crumble under their own frequent-flier weight, but there tends to be an overestimation that "far off" schools on a schedule (after the novelty wears off) will have significant positive impacts.

The MAC has often been criticized for being a too localized "bus league." And in some ways it was warranted before we expanded to surrounding states a bit more. But the tendency to go the other extreme - "geography be damned" - would leave me feeling uneasy. There's a reason why even the pro sports are aligned as they are. The Tigers in the same division as the White Sox and Indians is more attractive to fans than being in a division with the Mariners and Orioles.

I like conference regionality, a certain cultural bind. I like how developed rivals are in-state or in an adjacent state. And as much as I dislike the B1G, they would up choosing wisely by adding another solid Midwestern state (Nebraska) that "fit" most of the league's identity and expanded the footprint, instead of simply going Texas TV sets.

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - Boca Rocket - 02-16-2012 02:47 PM

Buh Bye!!!

RE: Conference USA to expand...AND TAKE AKRON?! - uakronkid - 02-16-2012 02:55 PM

(02-16-2012 02:47 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Buh Bye!!!

Are you going somewhere?