CSNbbs
UC 82, Villanova 78 – summary - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: UC 82, Villanova 78 – summary (/thread-548646.html)

UC 82, Villanova 78 – summary - ctipton - 01-15-2012 10:30 AM

UC 82, Villanova 78 – summary

01/14/12 at 12:55pm by bkoch

Player of the game: Villanova guard Maalik Wayns scored 39 points, the most ever by a UC opponent in Fifth Third Arena, which opened in 1989. He was 12 for 22 from the field, 6-for-13 from 3-point range and 9-for-10 from the free throw line. He also had 13 rebounds.

Turning point: There were two. After falling behind, 16-6, UC outscored Villanova, 22-5, in the first half. The Bearcats then outscored Villanova, 14-10, in the final 5:16 to break a 68-68 tie.

Records: UC 14-4 overall, 4-1 in the Big East. Villanova 8-10, 1-5.

Quotes:

Villanova guard Maalik Wayns: “I’d trade all 39 points to get the win.”

UC coach Mick Cronin:

“That was Big East basketball at its best. For the last three days, I tried to explain to my team that in my opinion this is the most talented team we’ve played this year by far. And anybody who watched it would agree that Maalik Wayns is the best player that we’ve played this year. We took their best shot. You’ve got to give our kids credit.”

UC forward Yancy Gates on UC overcoming its struggles in early-afternoon games: “We didn’t have walk-through this morning. We did it last night. We got to sleep in a little longer. Other than that, everything else was pretty much the same.”

Villanova coach Jay Wright: “Their guards were just great down the stretch. They made perfect decisions, finished plays, made free throws.”

Notes: UC committed only three turnovers, tying a school record that has been matched three other times – vs. Ohio State in the 1961 national championship game, vs. Louisville on Jan. 24, 1985, and vs. Boston on March 15, 2002 in the NCAA Tournament…Yancy Gates, with 16 points, moved into sole possession of 23rd place on UC’s career scoring list with 1,255 points…Justin Jackson started in place of JaQuon Parker in an attempt to bolster UC’s rebounding ablitity. The Bearcats were still outrebounded, 46-30…UC is 4-1 in conference play for the first time since joining the Big East in 2005…the crowd of 10,255 was a season high at Fifth Third Arena.

Up next: UC plays Wednesday night at No. 17 UConn. Villanova plays at home vs. Seton Hall on Wednesday.

http://news.cincinnati.com/ucblog