CSNbbs
Alumni Association. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+----- Thread: Alumni Association. (/thread-543682.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Alumni Association. - Chipdip2 - 09-17-2013 03:38 PM

(09-17-2013 03:01 PM)Liam9903 Wrote:  This insane diatribe is entertaining but I don't see the point. If you feel alienated get involved. Or don't.

He is involved you dope. Hence his issues with the alumni association.

RE: Alumni Association. - broncofan1 - 09-17-2013 03:38 PM

I'm guessing that at some point Hoover was very involved. Then for some reason that involvement wasn't valued and now isn't wanted. At least, that may be how Hoover feels.

He may be insane, and prone to diatribe and rambling...but his passion for this shows me that he was once invested in alumni relations.

Hoover, am I wrong? Were you at some point involved with alumni relations? I admire how passionate you are about it, even if we don't see eye to eye on everything.

RE: Alumni Association. - DesertBronco - 09-17-2013 04:08 PM

(09-17-2013 03:38 PM)broncofan1 Wrote:  I'm guessing that at some point Hoover was very involved. Then for some reason that involvement wasn't valued and now isn't wanted. At least, that may be how Hoover feels.

He may be insane, and prone to diatribe and rambling...but his passion for this shows me that he was once invested in alumni relations.

Hoover, am I wrong? Were you at some point involved with alumni relations? I admire how passionate you are about it, even if we don't see eye to eye on everything.

Lois, isn't it amazing when Superman is here that Clark.....

RE: Alumni Association. - DesertBronco - 09-17-2013 04:14 PM

(09-17-2013 03:38 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(09-17-2013 03:01 PM)Liam9903 Wrote:  This insane diatribe is entertaining but I don't see the point. If you feel alienated get involved. Or don't.

He is involved you dope. Hence his issues with the alumni association.

LOL

RE: Alumni Association. - JHoover - 09-17-2013 07:34 PM

Involved?

Yes, several of us have been involved, and have been summarily uninvolved, without
any "say in the matter".
At least they didn't convene a "firing squad"!

Making things even worse, was when the departed Mr. Small, gave a rousing presentation,
about three years ago to the Bronco Faithful in Southeastern Michigan, only to find out
later, that we were being "dealt with" as "outsiders".
We were all hoping that WMU was headed to the next level, in promoting a functioning
Western Michigan University Alumni Association, not regressing, and being informed
that "this is what we did at the University of Michigan".
Really.......

Yes, I'll fess-up. I was the Vice President of the Southeastern Michigan WMU Alumni Association Chapter,
and like many "over here", resent being "played" or "dealt with" in a mannner disrespectful of any WMU Alumni.

As a former WMU Administration Employee, many years ago, in what was then called thw Personnel Department,
as a Personnel Asistant, I had many friends, and learned a lot of interesting facts about how the University functions.
It doesn't see to have changed.
I was also a twenty-year plus resident of Kalamazoo, as a student, a later a home owner and tax payer, and involved
in community affairs.

I'm also smart enough to see the sometimes sad humor, in what's really going on beyond the scenes, and we're
working on it.

I used to be a lot of fun, but it's probably just the pharmaceuticals, not insanity that inspires my writing.
I may not even remember being here.
(It's a joke. Lighten-up!)

Take your best shot!

RE: Alumni Association. - Liam9903 - 09-17-2013 07:51 PM

Seems being slighted personally and projecting it into an institutional problem to me.

RE: Alumni Association. - Dirty Ernie - 09-18-2013 08:06 AM

Well Liam there is no doubt the structure has changed.

That's not a reaction, it's just a fact.

Call someone and ask how to join the alumni association and listen to the answer.

RE: Alumni Association. - DesertBronco - 09-18-2013 09:21 AM

Don't annoy them him with reason.

RE: Alumni Association. - broncofan1 - 09-18-2013 10:09 AM

There really isn't "alumni relations" at WMU anymore. Now it's all about development and relating to donors.

RE: Alumni Association. - JHoover - 09-18-2013 12:37 PM

No Relations with Alumni?

Well, you're only partially "right" or "wrong".
There's worsening relations with WMU Alumni, to a case of "Bad Relations" with WMU Alumni.

This "elitest attitude", is not impressing anyone.
We've already commented on that several times, and given examples of experiences several of us have had,
and continue to have, since this "bad attitude" has infested OUR University.

Most of really don't think we're buying into any imaginary status or friendships by being a donor,
just being dishonestly "played and manipulated" for self-sustaining purposes.

RE: Alumni Association. - Liam9903 - 09-18-2013 05:03 PM

I didn't really feel like a got much for the $25 I paid to be a "member" anyway. I give a little bit just to stay connected to the University not because I want my voice to be heard.

RE: Alumni Association. - Chipdip2 - 09-18-2013 05:47 PM

(09-18-2013 05:03 PM)Liam9903 Wrote:  I didn't really feel like a got much for the $25 I paid to be a "member" anyway. I give a little bit just to stay connected to the University not because I want my voice to be heard.

Kind of like a parking ticket.

RE: Alumni Association. - Dirty Ernie - 09-18-2013 06:50 PM

Was always the high point of our year to send $35 for husband-wife graduates.

Cherished the little sticker thing they sent you.

None lately. A shame.

RE: Alumni Association. - broncofan1 - 09-19-2013 08:20 AM

Don't get me started about the 'concierge' plan they tried. What a debacle.

RE: Alumni Association. - stdatwmu - 09-19-2013 09:27 AM

(09-19-2013 08:20 AM)broncofan1 Wrote:  Don't get me started about the 'concierge' plan they tried. What a debacle.

Yeah I still don't have a clue WTF that was all about...

RE: Alumni Association. - Dirty Ernie - 09-19-2013 10:42 AM

The low point for me was when an employee told me it was a "perk" to be allowed to attend a football practice.

Allowed? Really? Started supporting football in 1965. Now I'm an outsider?

Used to go and watch often. Don't go anymore. Don't need that condescending attitude about it.

RE: Alumni Association. - moe24 - 09-19-2013 10:55 AM

I don't understand why they keep floating between all kinds of Rinky-dink ideas. Plenty of other schools have highly successful alumni associations. Not that we should do a straight copy and paste, but there's no need to keep trying to reinvent the wheel either.

RE: Alumni Association. - Dirty Ernie - 09-19-2013 02:27 PM

Good point, Moe. Not that hard to figure.

Problem is, it seems to be a strategic decision to minimize the average graduate.

Maximize attention to big bucks. They have been successful with that part of it.

Why not do both things?

RE: Alumni Association. - JHoover - 09-19-2013 07:07 PM

THE SILENT MAJORITY !
perhaps it's time to speak up !

Yes, there's more of us, the 99%ers, than there are of them, the 1%ers.

We've written the President, several times, the Director of the Board of Trustees,
the Athletic Director, and others, with mixed, but not completely negative results.

Maybe you should form your own WMU Alumni Chapter, "lobbying group", and start
writing and calling, to "rile things up" a bit.

If your not PO'd enough, remember some of these decisions are being made by
persons who are not even WMU Alumni !

Obviously, there's a negative pattern of behavior that exists, along with a meandering
sense of non-direction and arrogance.

We all deserve a lot more respect!

What do you think!

RE: Alumni Association. - JHoover - 09-20-2013 02:33 PM

(09-19-2013 07:07 PM)JHoover Wrote:  THE SILENT MAJORITY !
perhaps it's time to speak up !

Yes, there's more of us, the 99%ers, than there are of them, the 1%ers.

We've written the President, several times, the Director of the Board of Trustees,
the Athletic Director, and others, with mixed, but not completely negative results.

Maybe you should form your own WMU Alumni Chapter, "lobbying group", and start
writing and calling, to "rile things up" a bit.

If your not PO'd enough, remember some of these decisions are being made by
persons who are not even WMU Alumni !

Obviously, there's a negative pattern of behavior that exists, along with a meandering
sense of non-direction and arrogance.

We all deserve a lot more respect!

What do you think!