CSNbbs
Tennessee Tech - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+----- Thread: Tennessee Tech (/thread-533224.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Tennessee Tech - straightfromthehorsesmouth - 11-20-2011 10:35 AM

Cheers to the Tennessee Tech coaches, football players, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community for their OVC Title in FCS FOOTBALL and making it to the PLAYOFFs.

Good for you. Football, marching band, and Title IX all in one big happy lump in CookVegas.

To paraphrase the God of All that Is College Football Lee Corso: ETSU, You F@$#'d Up.

RE: Tennessee Tech - bucfan81 - 11-20-2011 10:41 AM

Plus Tenn Tech is doing it with a former Buc football player and graduate. Dr. Noland who be wise to talk to him me thinks. Imagine having good sports including a championship football team with great academics and meeting requirements of Title IX and financing it all perfectly well. Let us hope the BFFF can bring about a meeting of Dr. Larimore with Dr. Noland and let him see how it is supposed to be done at a Tennessee State Board of Regeants school. At last.....

RE: Tennessee Tech - straightfromthehorsesmouth - 11-20-2011 10:42 AM

Here's the brackets: http://fcsnow.com/Documents/2011%20bracket.pdf

Three SoCon's, two OVC's...

RE: Tennessee Tech - straightfromthehorsesmouth - 11-20-2011 10:45 AM

(11-20-2011 10:41 AM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Plus Tenn Tech is doing it with a former Buc football player and graduate. Dr. Noland who be wise to talk to him me thinks.

Coach Taylor is the MAN. I wonder if Mullins will send him a congrats note. haha, I bet he won't.

RE: Tennessee Tech - bucfan81 - 11-20-2011 11:08 AM

(11-20-2011 10:45 AM)straightfromthehorsesmouth Wrote:  
(11-20-2011 10:41 AM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Plus Tenn Tech is doing it with a former Buc football player and graduate. Dr. Noland who be wise to talk to him me thinks.

Coach Taylor is the MAN. I wonder if Mullins will send him a congrats note. haha, I bet he won't.

Not unless he played TENNIS at ETSU!

RE: Tennessee Tech - Buc66 - 11-20-2011 01:40 PM

(11-20-2011 10:35 AM)straightfromthehorsesmouth Wrote:  Cheers to the Tennessee Tech coaches, football players, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community for their OVC Title in FCS FOOTBALL and making it to the PLAYOFFs.

Good for you. Football, marching band, and Title IX all in one big happy lump in CookVegas.

To paraphrase the God of All that Is College Football Lee Corso: ETSU, You F@$#'d Up.

Just think, Tennessee Tech and all the others were not even supposed to be playing football anymore. How can this be? What is going on here? Did they not get "the plan" from "the man"?

RE: Tennessee Tech - bucfan81 - 11-20-2011 01:57 PM

(11-20-2011 01:40 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(11-20-2011 10:35 AM)straightfromthehorsesmouth Wrote:  Cheers to the Tennessee Tech coaches, football players, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community for their OVC Title in FCS FOOTBALL and making it to the PLAYOFFs.

Just think, Tennessee Tech and all the others were not even supposed to be playing football anymore. How can this be? What is going on here? Did they not get "the plan" from "the man"?

The "man" responsible for our debacle is leaving in January. The Renaissance of ETSU is starting folks.

RE: Tennessee Tech - slappywhite - 11-20-2011 09:40 PM

the renaissance of etsu football? wow, thats alot of momentum from a tech teams first conference championship (although it was shared) IN 36 YEARS. not to take anything away from them or billy taylor. great season and they averaged over 8K per game. as a bonus they get to host the 1st round. maybe they can sell it out....unlike etsu...now back to the "renaissance". tech is just the flavor of the month. last year it was chattnooga, who was "turning the corner"...oops. 5-6 this year and attendance dropped by 35% from the opener to this weekend. three years ago it was ut martin...oops. 5-6 with under 5k in attendance. lets keep going, i think somebody was crowing about vandy this year...5-6. memphis...2-9, tusculum...2-9, carson newman...5-6, hell even the vols are 5-6. maybe all those programs didnt do any fundraising or the administration was just holding them down. lets dont crown tech as the model of the next coming of the etsu football renaissance and athletics model. thier basketball team just got beat by app who looked putrid against us. take nothing away from them, great season. but as far as pushing the football agenda, lets not pick and choose which programs we want to tout and which ones we tend to not promote when things dont look so rosey.

RE: Tennessee Tech - bucfan81 - 11-20-2011 10:33 PM

A brand new football program and a marching band will be a Renaissance for ETSU. It will be like ending the Dark Ages just to get rid of the incompetent people who continually try to promote tennis and soccer teams as if they are major. I would rather have a football team that won six games than a soccer team that won a hundred. I think I am a pretty average East Tennessee fan in that regard. Minor sports are fine and certainly have their place but they do not have the same interest as football and basketball. Get rid of the tennis coach AD and get rid of letting trumpet players make athletic spending decisions for our University. Eight years of embarrassment need to come to an end. It cannot come soon enough. No other school in the state has had to put up with the garbage we get from the athletic department and this is where I believe Dr. Noland will step in and make a quick difference. A real president at a real divsion 1 university would never tolerate a tennis coach for AD. Good grief Charlie Brown for what we have had to take!

RE: Tennessee Tech - slappywhite - 11-21-2011 08:48 AM

(11-20-2011 09:40 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  the renaissance of etsu football? wow, thats alot of momentum from a tech teams first conference championship (although it was shared) IN 36 YEARS. not to take anything away from them or billy taylor. great season and they averaged over 8K per game. as a bonus they get to host the 1st round. maybe they can sell it out....unlike etsu...now back to the "renaissance". tech is just the flavor of the month. last year it was chattnooga, who was "turning the corner"...oops. 5-6 this year and attendance dropped by 35% from the opener to this weekend. three years ago it was ut martin...oops. 5-6 with under 5k in attendance. lets keep going, i think somebody was crowing about vandy this year...5-6. memphis...2-9, tusculum...2-9, carson newman...5-6, hell even the vols are 5-6. maybe all those programs didnt do any fundraising or the administration was just holding them down. lets dont crown tech as the model of the next coming of the etsu football renaissance and athletics model. thier basketball team just got beat by app who looked putrid against us. take nothing away from them, great season. but as far as pushing the football agenda, lets not pick and choose which programs we want to tout and which ones we tend to not promote when things dont look so rosey.

oh, i forgot middle...2-8

RE: Tennessee Tech - bucfan81 - 11-21-2011 09:15 AM

(11-21-2011 08:48 AM)slappywhite Wrote:  
(11-20-2011 09:40 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  the renaissance of etsu football? wow, thats alot of momentum from a tech teams first conference championship (although it was shared) IN 36 YEARS. not to take anything away from them or billy taylor. great season and they averaged over 8K per game. as a bonus they get to host the 1st round. maybe they can sell it out....unlike etsu...now back to the "renaissance". tech is just the flavor of the month. last year it was chattnooga, who was "turning the corner"...oops. 5-6 this year and attendance dropped by 35% from the opener to this weekend. three years ago it was ut martin...oops. 5-6 with under 5k in attendance. lets keep going, i think somebody was crowing about vandy this year...5-6. memphis...2-9, tusculum...2-9, carson newman...5-6, hell even the vols are 5-6. maybe all those programs didnt do any fundraising or the administration was just holding them down. lets dont crown tech as the model of the next coming of the etsu football renaissance and athletics model. thier basketball team just got beat by app who looked putrid against us. take nothing away from them, great season. but as far as pushing the football agenda, lets not pick and choose which programs we want to tout and which ones we tend to not promote when things dont look so rosey.

I would much rather have a 2-8 football team with a marching band. At least they have something to work for and make it better. Rather than having an ignorant tennis coach trying to spend major money on minor sports that few care about . And they do not have to defend being the only state universty in Tennessee without a marching band. There is only one school with leadership that stupid. That is until January. Sigh.

RE: Tennessee Tech - slappywhite - 11-21-2011 11:10 AM

(11-21-2011 09:15 AM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(11-21-2011 08:48 AM)slappywhite Wrote:  

I would much rather have a 2-8 football team with a marching band. At least they have something to work for and make it better. Rather than having an ignorant tennis coach trying to spend major money on minor sports that few care about . And they do not have to defend being the only state universty in Tennessee without a marching band. There is only one school with leadership that stupid. That is until January. Sigh.

great, have at it....

RE: Tennessee Tech - OldGrayDog - 11-21-2011 01:35 PM

My guess is that patience will be required concerning football. Dr. Noland will have a lot in front of him. I am interested in any insights that some of you have concerning how well organized the movement to bring football back really is. I don't have a clue and the threads on this site haven't really given me a clear picture. If I had the chance to guide this a little the first thing I would do would be to develop a very clear vision of what kind of program can work at ETSU. One input would be assessment of relevant peer programs. TTU is relevant to this, not because they had a good season this year. Slappy nailed that one as far as I'm concerned. But TTU is a lot like ETSU and faces many of the same challenges. It would make a good benchmark as a peer as would most of the SCON schools. Some stretch peers could be Western KY and maybe Florida Atlantic, but it would probably be best to stick with reasonable models as opposed to, say U of South Florida. Both JC and ETSU have a history of using models that aren't even relevant when developing plans for growth. The Med Tech cooridor comes to mind - the group that came up with that concept used Triangle Park, VA Tech's research park and the U of KY's research park as a model and then couldn't figure out why there are banks and Drs offices in the MedTech Park.

RE: Tennessee Tech - slappywhite - 11-21-2011 02:05 PM

(11-21-2011 01:35 PM)OldGrayDog Wrote:  My guess is that patience will be required concerning football. Dr. Noland will have a lot in front of him. I am interested in any insights that some of you have concerning how well organized the movement to bring football back really is. I don't have a clue and the threads on this site haven't really given me a clear picture. If I had the chance to guide this a little the first thing I would do would be to develop a very clear vision of what kind of program can work at ETSU. One input would be assessment of relevant peer programs. TTU is relevant to this, not because they had a good season this year. Slappy nailed that one as far as I'm concerned. But TTU is a lot like ETSU and faces many of the same challenges. It would make a good benchmark as a peer as would most of the SCON schools. Some stretch peers could be Western KY and maybe Florida Atlantic, but it would probably be best to stick with reasonable models as opposed to, say U of South Florida. Both JC and ETSU have a history of using models that aren't even relevant when developing plans for growth. The Med Tech cooridor comes to mind - the group that came up with that concept used Triangle Park, VA Tech's research park and the U of KY's research park as a model and then couldn't figure out why there are banks and Drs offices in the MedTech Park.

sadly oldgraydog, patience is probably not on the agenda for those most interested in reinstating football. I have asked many times for the plan, any plan, that they intend on initiating, but have gotten nothing but the things you have already been exposed to on this board. New president will fire the AD and bring back football because they say it was unjustly taken away and that because all of the other state schools play football(and lose money) that etsu should too. The AD is corrupt and the whole administration should be fired on the spot. There is no plan for when that does not happen as expected and my guess they will resort back to the old tactics that have served them so well the last eight years. Logic does not enter into the equation i hate to say...

RE: Tennessee Tech - bucfan81 - 11-21-2011 02:46 PM

(11-21-2011 02:05 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  
(11-21-2011 01:35 PM)OldGrayDog Wrote:  My guess is that patience will be required concerning football. Dr. Noland will have a lot in front of him. I am interested in any insights that some of you have concerning how well organized the movement to bring football back really is. I don't have a clue and the threads on this site haven't really given me a clear picture. If I had the chance to guide this a little the first thing I would do would be to develop a very clear vision of what kind of program can work at ETSU. One input would be assessment of relevant peer programs. TTU is relevant to this, not because they had a good season this year. Slappy nailed that one as far as I'm concerned. But TTU is a lot like ETSU and faces many of the same challenges. It would make a good benchmark as a peer as would most of the SCON schools. Some stretch peers could be Western KY and maybe Florida Atlantic, but it would probably be best to stick with reasonable models as opposed to, say U of South Florida. Both JC and ETSU have a history of using models that aren't even relevant when developing plans for growth. The Med Tech cooridor comes to mind - the group that came up with that concept used Triangle Park, VA Tech's research park and the U of KY's research park as a model and then couldn't figure out why there are banks and Drs offices in the MedTech Park.

sadly oldgraydog, patience is probably not on the agenda for those most interested in reinstating football. I have asked many times for the plan, any plan, that they intend on initiating, but have gotten nothing but the things you have already been exposed to on this board. New president will fire the AD and bring back football because they say it was unjustly taken away and that because all of the other state schools play football(and lose money) that etsu should too. The AD is corrupt and the whole administration should be fired on the spot. There is no plan for when that does not happen as expected and my guess they will resort back to the old tactics that have served them so well the last eight years. Logic does not enter into the equation i hate to say...

I think the logical approach would be to examine all of ETSU's peer schools and see how they operate. That would include Austin Peay, Tenn Tech and Tenn State directly. The schools are in the same system and funded by the same formulas. It is still a simple question that no one on here has answered for us: "How is it that all these schools can operate football programs and have marching bands and ETSU cannot?" We all would like a logical answer to that question and we have never had one yet.

RE: Tennessee Tech - slappywhite - 11-21-2011 02:59 PM

(11-21-2011 02:46 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  

I think the logical approach would be to examine all of ETSU's peer schools and see how they operate. That would include Austin Peay, Tenn Tech and Tenn State directly. The schools are in the same system and funded by the same formulas. It is still a simple question that no one on here has answered for us: "How is it that all these schools can operate football programs and have marching bands and ETSU cannot?" We all would like a logical answer to that question and we have never had one yet.

simple 81, our president at the time decided to lose money on all the other sports rather than lose money on football as all the programs mentioned are highly subsidised by the state.

RE: Tennessee Tech - Buc66 - 11-21-2011 03:05 PM

Who are you? What is your agenda? Not being an insider of ETSU athletics, I scratch my head and wonder what it is you represent, who you represent? For those of us who want to see ETSU grow its athletic program for the benefit of our university, what is it that you want for ETSU? Are you an ETSU grad? Sounds as if you hate all that ETSU has ever attempted, along with its screw ups, in athletics. Sounds as if you hate ETSU, period!

RE: Tennessee Tech - bucfan81 - 11-21-2011 03:16 PM

(11-21-2011 02:59 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  

simple 81, our president at the time decided to lose money on all the other sports rather than lose money on football as all the programs mentioned are highly subsidised by the state.

We still do not have an answer. All the other schools are playing football for a reason. ETSU is spending money on minor sports which do not bring in a dime. At least football has a chance to bring in money especially like Tenn Tech now getting in the playoffs. What they will get out of that has no price tag. You cannot buy the benefits they are getting. At least football would bring in some money as compared to the minor sports which bring in nothing at all.

RE: Tennessee Tech - slappywhite - 11-21-2011 04:22 PM

(11-21-2011 03:16 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(11-21-2011 02:59 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  

We still do not have an answer. All the other schools are playing football for a reason. ETSU is spending money on minor sports which do not bring in a dime. At least football has a chance to bring in money especially like Tenn Tech now getting in the playoffs. What they will get out of that has no price tag. You cannot buy the benefits they are getting. At least football would bring in some money as compared to the minor sports which bring in nothing at all.

and the broken record plays on.......

RE: Tennessee Tech - ReturnOfMommaBear - 11-21-2011 05:01 PM

Here's the fun part about all those schools that were mentioned:

THEY WON'T BE DROPPING FOOTBALL.

What will they do? Regroup, look at the season, fire a coach. They'll do what most school's would do, but they won't be quitting.

Chattanooga was 12 points away from being 10-1. Their largest points margin in an FCS conference loss was 7 points!! They blew too many leads this year and I've been told that it's from injuries, lack of depth, and young players. They'll live to fight another day. But today in Chattanooga, the staff met, changes will be made, and they will go on. That's what you do in football and IN LIFE. You just try to figure it out and you learn from it and you move on. What a great lesson!

I'm watching Western Carolina closely. That's a President that didn't take long to inject his influence and make sure that people understood that Athletics was important to him and the University. He's not been playing around over there! I wish them well.