CSNbbs
Old Big East Football must face reality! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Smack Talk (/forum-423.html)
+----- Thread: Old Big East Football must face reality! (/thread-52782.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- PyramidGhost - 05-24-2005 08:38 AM

RocketWolverine Wrote:Whew, you really don't ****ing get it, do you?

I get that you don't have anything else to say.
You found a drug dealer in a big city, congratulations.
You bragged about a football program that not only has a stadium that can't hold the average attendance for Memphis, but finished 15 spots below them in the rankings last year. You can't even compare Toledo basketball to Memphis. What does Toledo's 2005 recruiting class look like? Are they bringing in one of the top recruiting classes in the country to accompany one of the top point guards in the country? Oh, I bet you're going to go back to talking about how Michigan is really your school now or rather than focus on the greatness of Toledo, you'll just stick to genrealizations about the MAC vs. C-USA.

- TexanMark - 05-24-2005 08:44 AM

Ohio Game? you sure it was ESPN on Saturday? or was it ESPN Regional picked up by gameplan?

- rocketfootball - 05-24-2005 08:53 AM

TexanMark Wrote:Ohio Game?  you sure it was ESPN on Saturday?  or was it ESPN Regional picked up by gameplan?
It was at Noon on Saturday, October 16th, on ESPN. Now it could possibly only have been aired in certain regions of the country because I know ESPN experimented with this a little bit with their Noon games on certain Saturday's, but looking back at the University website it doesn't say regional broadcast:

Sat 10/16/2004 Ohio Toledo, OH ESPN W, 31-13
Recap | Final Stats | Notes | Archived Audio | Gametracker

Game recap and game notes don't say anything about being regional either. Game kickoff was offically at 12:10pm. And to answer about gameplan, no it was not gameplan it was ESPN.

- TexanMark - 05-24-2005 08:59 AM

That is strange--usually the Big 10 owns that slot.

- rocketfootball - 05-24-2005 09:09 AM

TexanMark Wrote:That is strange--usually the Big 10 owns that slot.
After doing the research, there were only 4 Big Ten games that day. Only two of the were early games, Michigan/Illinois on ABC and Michigan State/Minnesota on ESPN Plus. Iowa/OSU was on ABC later in the day and Wisconsin/Purdue on ESPN2 at 4:30pm.

- chess - 05-24-2005 09:20 AM

SO#1 Wrote:North Carolina is not California, Texas or Florida.
Actually the University of North Carolina system is very similar to the systems in California and Texas.

In theory, a person who attends a state funded school in North Carolina is attending the same school.

So, the University of North Carolina-Charlotte, East Carolina University, Winston Salem State University, North Carolina State University, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, etc... are the same university at different sites.

Texas and California have similar set-ups. (i.e. California-Berkley, the flagship state university in California, does not diminish the quality of an education from another highly regarded California university like UCLA. ...or UC-Davis or etc...)

Finally since the University of North Carolina is the oldest/first STATE university. We can thank the great state of North Carolina for creating a system that is the model for states and bringing education to millions of people who, in the past, would not experience a world class education on a local level at this cost.

- fsquid - 05-24-2005 09:37 AM

RocketWolverine Wrote:The MAC has Kent, Akron, BG, Ball State, Buffalo, Miami, Ohio, Western Michigan and Toledo in the hunt every year.

Who?, Who?, Didn't know they had a team, Maybe in Letterman's head, Who?, Only if Wally is still there, I've heard of them, who?, who?

Maybe they are all in the hunt because the league is garbage and everyone has a legit shot at winning the auto bid.

- SO#1 - 05-24-2005 09:56 AM

chess Wrote:
SO#1 Wrote:North Carolina is not California, Texas or Florida.
Actually the University of North Carolina system is very similar to the systems in California and Texas.

In theory, a person who attends a state funded school in North Carolina is attending the same school.

So, the University of North Carolina-Charlotte, East Carolina University, Winston Salem State University, North Carolina State University, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, etc... are the same university at different sites.

Texas and California have similar set-ups. (i.e. California-Berkley, the flagship state university in California, does not diminish the quality of an education from another highly regarded California university like UCLA. ...or UC-Davis or etc...)

Finally since the University of North Carolina is the oldest/first STATE university. We can thank the great state of North Carolina for creating a system that is the model for states and bringing education to millions of people who, in the past, would not experience a world class education on a local level at this cost.
Not good ideal to expand discussion beyond market/athletic and enter into academic.

Tell me the difference between a diploma from University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill and University of East Carolina versus the difference between a diploma from University of California – Berkeley and University of California – Davis. Some how the great education system in the state of North Carolina didn’t spread out to other institute of higher learning like the state of California, a younger state.

- chess - 05-24-2005 10:14 AM

SO#1 Wrote:Some how the great education system in the state of North Carolina didn’t spread out to other institute of higher learning like the state of California, a younger state.
Actually, the North Carolina system did and still does.

North Carolina system is highly regarded and meets its mission well much like the California system.

Getting back to your original observation about "too much competition" and 5 Division 1-A programs in one state... You are incorrect and should acknowledge that you make a mistake in your assumption. Your argument doesn't hold water.

- rocketfootball - 05-24-2005 10:28 AM

fsquid Wrote:
RocketWolverine Wrote:The MAC has Kent, Akron, BG, Ball State, Buffalo, Miami, Ohio, Western Michigan and Toledo in the hunt every year.

Who?, Who?, Didn't know they had a team, Maybe in Letterman's head, Who?, Only if Wally is still there, I've heard of them, who?, who?

Maybe they are all in the hunt because the league is garbage and everyone has a legit shot at winning the auto bid.
If the league is garbage why have they done so well in the NCAA tournament, except for this year's opening round loss to a strong Florida team?

The MAC got 1 NCAA and 4 NIT bids this year. A league that is garbage would not get that many NIT bids, period. You are stooping to RocketWolverine's level now.

The MAC is probably the most underrated basketball conference in Division I. They get no respect, but can play pretty decent basketball. No, they are no ACC, Big East, or SEC......and they haven't been near as good as C-USA with Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, Charlotte, etc...........but they are still a decent basketball league that is underrated. Not garbage.

- brista21 - 05-24-2005 11:22 AM

chess Wrote:
SO#1 Wrote:Some how the great education system in the state of North Carolina didn’t spread out to other institute of higher learning like the state of California, a younger state.

North Carolina system is highly regarded and meets its mission well much like the California system.

Getting back to your original observation about "too much competition" and 5 Division 1-A programs in one state... You are incorrect and should acknowledge that you make a mistake in your assumption. Your argument doesn't hold water.
I agree the that the NC system is good but only two campuses are Tier 1, NC State - Raleigh and UNC - Chapel Hill. If I had to be living in the South this is one of the few states I could survive in (you can take the boy out of the Northeast but you can't take the Northeast out of the boy) there are plenty of Northerners these days plus the education system in the state of North Carolina is pretty good so when I have kids down the road they're going to get a good education and have the option of attending some fine schools. Although I'd encourage them to check out Rutgers because of the education and memories that I'll have received from here.

- brista21 - 05-24-2005 11:23 AM

rocketfootball Wrote:The MAC is probably the most underrated basketball conference in Division I. They get no respect, but can play pretty decent basketball. No, they are no ACC, Big East, or SEC......and they haven't been near as good as C-USA with Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, Charlotte, etc...........but they are still a decent basketball league that is underrated. Not garbage.
Agree that the MAC is underrated in general. However don't compare yourself to SEC basketball because they're not that good. I'd use the Big Ten and the old CUSA in place of the SEC.

- SO#1 - 05-24-2005 11:54 AM

chess Wrote:

I used [b]“too much competition

- cuseroc - 05-24-2005 12:15 PM

RocketWolverine Wrote:
Maize Wrote:Again the Commish has already spoken on this issue and the Mudhens don't add any TV value, they will not improve our bowl situation.
TV? You mean like how the Rockets were on ESPN SIX TIMES last year? How many BEast teams were on ESPN six times last year?

IIRC, Toledo has at least four games on ESPN this year as of right now. That's a lot of TV.

And yes, having a top 25 team in your conference would help your bowl situation.

You know nothing about Toledo and your ignorance makes you look more and more ridiculous every time you open your mouth.
By this statement, are you saying that more people want to watch Toledo than would rather watch Cuse, or WV, or Pitt, or Louisville?

Not only were these teams on espn numerous times, but try abc, cbs, nbc. I dont know how many times they were national tv, but when your in a major conference, we dont keep track of little things like that because we are always on tv.

- cuseroc - 05-24-2005 12:23 PM

RocketWolverine Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:
RocketWolverine Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:
Quote:It might only seat 26,248 but it has been rated the best stadium in the MAC by the Sporting News

That's like being named the Valedictorian of Summer School.
Summer school is something you should know all about, Mr. I couldn't get into a school that didn't have an open enrollment policy.

Seriously, a Memphis fan trying to rip Toledo is hilarious. You are a mid-major just like Toledo. Toledo has a top-25 calibre football team and a mediocre basketball team. Memphis has a top-25 calibre basketbally team and a mediocre football team. Both are commuter schools. CUSA is a far weaker football conference than the MAC, and the basketball side is pretty much even (CUSA stronger at the top, MAC stronger throughout).

You have absolutely no reason nor right to rip Toledo for anything.
You are correct, I was lucky enough to have summer school over in Europe for 2 of my summers when in school. Loved it.

Mac is better than C-USA in basketball?? Huh? I can't even name one MAC basketball team that's been in the NCAAs. I don't even know who's good in that conference.

I hope you had a chance to see Calipari on the Best Damn Sports Show tonight as a guest host. I'm sure Toledo will have one of their coaches on there as a guest host. :laugh: :laugh:
Some Toledo fans let the "MAC success" go to their head.

The basketball comment is assinine.
Dipshit, stick to a lexicon you are comfortable with. When you use words you aren't comfortable with, like "assinine" (sic), you completely undermine any point you may have had.

And as I said, CUSA is better at the top in basketball, but the MAC is better overall. How can you argue otherwise?

CUSA has Memphis as a lock for the postseason, with UAB, Rice and UTEP a notch below. After that, it's slim pickins.

The MAC has Kent, Akron, BG, Ball State, Buffalo, Miami, Ohio, Western Michigan and Toledo in the hunt every year.

Earth to moron, this isn't 2003. Four of the top five teams in the CUSA standings from last year have left. It's a mediocre conference at best.
No way is the MAC a better overall bb league than CUSA.

CUSA: Memphis, UCF, Utep, UAB, Tulsa(?)
all are yearly 18+ game winners

How many in the MAC can say this? Even teams like ECU could give the top MAC teams a run for the money.

I would also give CUSA the slight edge in fb as well.

- tigercat - 05-24-2005 12:31 PM

cuseroc Wrote:
RocketWolverine Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:
RocketWolverine Wrote:
fsquid Wrote:
Quote:It might only seat 26,248 but it has been rated the best stadium in the MAC by the Sporting News

That's like being named the Valedictorian of Summer School.
Summer school is something you should know all about, Mr. I couldn't get into a school that didn't have an open enrollment policy.

Seriously, a Memphis fan trying to rip Toledo is hilarious. You are a mid-major just like Toledo. Toledo has a top-25 calibre football team and a mediocre basketball team. Memphis has a top-25 calibre basketbally team and a mediocre football team. Both are commuter schools. CUSA is a far weaker football conference than the MAC, and the basketball side is pretty much even (CUSA stronger at the top, MAC stronger throughout).

You have absolutely no reason nor right to rip Toledo for anything.
You are correct, I was lucky enough to have summer school over in Europe for 2 of my summers when in school. Loved it.

Mac is better than C-USA in basketball?? Huh? I can't even name one MAC basketball team that's been in the NCAAs. I don't even know who's good in that conference.

I hope you had a chance to see Calipari on the Best Damn Sports Show tonight as a guest host. I'm sure Toledo will have one of their coaches on there as a guest host. :laugh: :laugh:
Some Toledo fans let the "MAC success" go to their head.

The basketball comment is assinine.
Dipshit, stick to a lexicon you are comfortable with. When you use words you aren't comfortable with, like "assinine" (sic), you completely undermine any point you may have had.

And as I said, CUSA is better at the top in basketball, but the MAC is better overall. How can you argue otherwise?

CUSA has Memphis as a lock for the postseason, with UAB, Rice and UTEP a notch below. After that, it's slim pickins.

The MAC has Kent, Akron, BG, Ball State, Buffalo, Miami, Ohio, Western Michigan and Toledo in the hunt every year.

Earth to moron, this isn't 2003. Four of the top five teams in the CUSA standings from last year have left. It's a mediocre conference at best.
No way is the MAC a better overall bb league than CUSA.

CUSA: Memphis, UCF, Utep, UAB, Tulsa(?)

How many in the MAC can say this? Even teams like ECU could give the top MAC teams a run for the money.

I think the last couple of years anyway, the MAC has had 2-3 teams in football at the top that could play with C-USA and the BE. After that they fall down pretty fast. I think basketball would show C-USA much stronger at the top and better top to bottom than the MAC (even with the recent departures).

- rocketfootball - 05-24-2005 12:37 PM

cuseroc Wrote:CUSA: Memphis, UCF, Utep, UAB, Tulsa(?)

Since you asked, 7 MAC schools won 18 or more games this past basketball season, and no Toledo wasn't one of them as the Rockets went 16-13 this year. 4 of them won 20 or more games.

On average, the MAC has somewhere around 5 teams that win 18 or more games.

MAC teams with 18 or more wins:

2004-05 - 7 (most wins were 23, Buffalo played in NIT and lost in 2nd or 3rd round)
2003-04 - 5 (best team was 26-5 and lost to Vanderbilt in 2nd round)
2002-03 - 4 (best team was 25-7)

That is as far back as the standings go on the MAC website. I do know that Kent State went to the Elite 8 in 2001 and won at least 20 some games. I don't have facts to back it up, but I would suspect on average about 5 MAC teams won 18 or more games in the late 90's and early 2000's.

As for the East Carolina comment, they did play and beat Toledo this past year. However, ECU won by 2 lousy points at home against a school that was 8th in the MAC in wins with a 16-13 record.

- rocketfootball - 05-24-2005 12:40 PM

brista21 Wrote:
rocketfootball Wrote:The MAC is probably the most underrated basketball conference in Division I.  They get no respect, but can play pretty decent basketball.  No, they are no ACC, Big East, or SEC......and they haven't been near as good as C-USA with Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, Charlotte, etc...........but they are still a decent basketball league that is underrated.  Not garbage.
Agree that the MAC is underrated in general. However don't compare yourself to SEC basketball because they're not that good. I'd use the Big Ten and the old CUSA in place of the SEC.
I was thinking along the lines of Kentucky and Florida mostly. Of course there were 7 SEC schools with 20 or more wins this past year and another with 18 wins.

- fsquid - 05-24-2005 12:40 PM

Quote:As for the East Carolina comment, they did play and beat Toledo this past year. However, ECU won by 2 lousy points at home against a school that was 8th in the MAC in wins with a 16-13 record.

that's pretty sad, ECU didn't even make the conference tourney. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

- rocketfootball - 05-24-2005 12:46 PM

fsquid Wrote:
Quote:As for the East Carolina comment, they did play and beat Toledo this past year. However, ECU won by 2 lousy points at home against a school that was 8th in the MAC in wins with a 16-13 record.

that's pretty sad, ECU didn't even make the conference tourney. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Neither did Toledo. What's your point? You said that ECU could beat the better MAC teams. The better MAC teams were much better than Toledo this year, I don't deny that. :stupid: