CSNbbs
Question for Pitt fans. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Question for Pitt fans. (/thread-52041.html)

- St. Patrick Eagle - 07-06-2005 09:27 PM

I grew up in PA, and as a kid got to meet and get my picture taken with Dan Marino the summer before his senior season at one of the booster dinners they had across the state. I had three questions. 1) How do you feel about the Penn St. series(I think that their demands were way out of line)Do you want to see it started again? 2) This is also a old topic but has the Panther Nation accepted or come to love the name Pittsburgh over Pitt and the colors and logos. I personally thought that this was one mans(Pederson) project. I wish they would go back to Pitt and the old uniforms 3) How do you like Heinz field? Would you rather have an on campus facility? Heinz field looks like a great facility. Thanks in advance to any Pitt followers who respond.

- thepittguy - 07-06-2005 09:46 PM

"I grew up in PA, and as a kid got to meet and get my picture taken with Dan Marino the summer before his senior season at one of the booster dinners they had across the state. I had three questions."

Marino left after his jr year. Did you meet him before his jr year?

1) "How do you feel about the Penn St. series(I think that their demands were way out of line)Do you want to see it started again?"

We hate these guys more than WVU and we hate WVU. Paterno won't start a series with Pitt because he is upset we wouldn't join his football conference and instead dissed them for the Big East. The Pitt AD at the time (name doesn't come to me) ensured that UPS would not join the Big East. Wanny tried to get the series going again in Jan/Feb but Joe wouldn't budge from the 2 for 1. All I know is Wanny was po'ed about the whole incident. Would I like to see it happen again...yes but I don't see it happening until JoePa is gone and is in his grave.

"2) This is also a old topic but has the Panther Nation accepted or come to love the name Pittsburgh over Pitt and the colors and logos. I personally thought that this was one mans(Pederson) project. I wish they would go back to Pitt and the old uniforms"

Pitt is all I've ever called Pitt. I'd like to see the old uniforms in the current navy blue and gold but with "Pitt" in cursive. The "Pitt" in block letters is getting half way there but is better than what we have. I would like to see the little claws on the helmet like they were when Dorsett and Marino were there as well (kind of like the buckeye on OSU's helmets).

"3) How do you like Heinz field? Would you rather have an on campus facility? Heinz field looks like a great facility. Thanks in advance to any Pitt followers who respond."

Definitely beats what we had. Individuals from other schools are quick to point to the fact that we "rent" the stadium but you have to realize that Pitt put a fair amount of money into that stadium as well. They have a bigger locker room than the Steelers and they get to share the training facilities with Steeler players. They get to talk to the pro's and learn from them as well. I think it's a good recruiting tool and Pitt will sell out at Heinz in the future. They did two years ago. The home slate last year was pretty bad and people didn't renew their season tickets because they were disenchanted with the constant bickering that Walt Harris and the administration had. While Walt was a good coach on the field, he was also a whiner at the same time. It got old and was visable to the media, especially after the disappointing 2003 season.

- Shannon Panther - 07-06-2005 10:01 PM

Penn State - Couldn't care less. They are ducking us and everyone knows it. They are two programs moving in different directions. Series won't resume while Joe Paterno is the head coach.

Pitt vs. Pittsburgh - Pitt is back. The whole Pittsburgh thing was Steve P's baby and nobody embraced it but him. I think he was trying rebrand the product after a dreadful stretch. 72-0 at OSU and 66-0 against ND in the year before. The new logo is a curved PITT. Same colors as the last year though. The Panther nation is embracing that change.

Heinz Field - I loved Pitt Stadium. I loved the history. I watched Dan Marino play in that Stadium. Having said that, I think the move to Heinz was a good move. Pitt Stadium was hard to get to and the elderly fan and the casual fan weren't going to haul their cookies up Cardiac Hill to attend a game there. The seats were metal benches and there was limited parking and traffic was from hell. Now we have a state of the art basketball arena where Pitt Stadium once stood. The traffic and parking are not a problem for a crowd of 12,500. They share state of the art practice facilities with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Pitt will outdraw their best season attendance record next season at Heinz Field. We have a great schedule and Wannstedt has created a buzz Walt Harris could only hope for.

- Shannon Panther - 07-06-2005 10:03 PM

thepittguy Wrote:Marino left after his jr year.  Did you meet him before his jr year?
Dan Marino played all 4 years at Pitt. His senior year was 1982. I saw every home game that year. At the time there was no early entry into the NFL.

- St. Patrick Eagle - 07-06-2005 10:18 PM

I remember that it was in the summer of 82 that I met him, and I remember they were showing replays of Pitt's victory over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl( am I correct in saying that Pitt had a rec named Brown on that team, because I think he caught a big TD pass in that game) Is that avatar a picture of your new helmet? Thanks

- Shannon Panther - 07-06-2005 10:38 PM

Your recollection is correct, John Brown was a TE for Pitt in 1981. He caught the game winning touchdown from Marino in the Sugar Bowl. His son John Brown Jr. is a OL who is in the 2004 recruiting class. Yes, the avatar is Pitt's new helmet

- St. Patrick Eagle - 07-06-2005 10:53 PM

Love the helmet! Glad to see Pitt on there. Pretty good memory considering I was only 11. Thanks for your input!

- goldenpanther - 07-07-2005 11:40 AM

Pitt vs. Penn St. - Sad to see that they aren't playing anymore. However, we have other teams and rivalry games to develop now. I agree that the two programs are in different directions.

Pitt vs. Pittsburgh - I am happy that we are back to Pitt and I think that many Pitt People feel the same. The change to Pittsburgh I believe was a "maketing thing" attempting to change the view of a program that was in the basement of College Football.

Heinz Field vs. Pitt Stadium - Again, very happy with Heinz Field. Very nice amentities, good location, etc...Sometimes I feel that off campus facilities can hurt the college gameday atmosphere, however sharing facilties (Game Day Field and Practice Facility) with a Pro Franchise certainly helps cancel some of those concerns. Pitt's collaboration w/ the Steelers is a tremendous upgrade in comparison with Pitt Stadium. (Great Recuriting Tool!)

"Hail To Pitt"

- JIM15068 - 07-07-2005 04:40 PM

St. Patrick Eagle Wrote:I grew up in PA, and as a kid got to meet and get my picture taken with Dan Marino the summer before his senior season at one of the booster dinners they had across the state. I had three questions. 1) How do you feel about the Penn St. series(I think that their demands were way out of line)Do you want to see it started again? 2) This is also a old topic but has the Panther Nation accepted or come to love the name Pittsburgh over Pitt and the colors and logos. I personally thought that this was one mans(Pederson) project. I wish they would go back to Pitt and the old uniforms 3) How do you like Heinz field? Would you rather have an on campus facility? Heinz field looks like a great facility. Thanks in advance to any Pitt followers who respond.
1. Paterno is one of the few people in PA who don't want to see PSU/PITT. It's a moot point as long as he's alive. Frankly, I'd like to start a rivalry with Ohio ST. instead and just let the Paterno people wither on the vine. I'd also stop playing PSU in basketball.

2. I never stopped saying Pitt. Whatever the media uses is fine with me. Same place, same tradition. I like Pitt's colors now. The vegas gold and blue beats the heck out of mustard, despite the Heinz connection.

3. Heinz Field is a great venue. Unlike many colleges that RENT a pro stadium, Pitt is an equal partner with the Steelers. It's a Pittsburgh thing. They also share training facilities on the South Side. It's really not all that far from the campus; Pittsburgh is a very compact city, and they also have shuttle boats from the Southside. Having said that, I would like to see the subway do a segment from Oakland to the North Side. Regardless, there is plenty of public transportation, and it's easy to get to. I did used to enjoy old Pitt Stadium, but at my age now, I don't know if I could safely walk Cardiac Hill. What they replaced the spot with is certainly a worthwhile addition to the University and its students. The Pete is a thing of beauty and adds to the campus life.

Jim

- St. Patrick Eagle - 07-07-2005 09:53 PM

I lived in Pittsburgh about 20+ years ago and the one thing I remember about going to Steeler/Pirate games was walking past the Clark Candybar factory. What an aroma! I heard that they made it into a sports bar. 04-cheers