CSNbbs
Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-517.html)
+----- Forum: Realignment Archives (/forum-937.html)
+----- Thread: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed (/thread-492856.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - KnightTower - 04-10-2011 09:54 PM

Looks like something went down at the Big East meeting today. Big East not ready to sign off on VU's plans.

Villanova vote delayed

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - EerMeNow - 04-10-2011 09:57 PM

(04-10-2011 09:54 PM)KnightTower Wrote:  Looks like something went down at the Big East meeting today. Big East not ready to sign off on VU's plans.

Villanova vote delayed

Nice find. Thanks.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - canewton - 04-10-2011 09:57 PM

So either they expand their own stadium, they use Franklin field, or share with the Phillie's. My bet is Franklin field.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - wvucrazed - 04-10-2011 10:01 PM

This is bizarre, you'd think the BE football members would have all been on board if they had given Nova even an "informal" invite. But I share their concern about the stadium - when will the expansion happen to 30k, assuming it happens? It's still not an ideal situation, even at 30k.

And this with programs out there like ECU that is getting 50k, UCF, Houston - with those type of candidates out there and available, I can see why some programs might be hesitant about Nova.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - KnightTower - 04-10-2011 10:02 PM

(04-10-2011 09:57 PM)canewton Wrote:  So either they expand their own stadium, they use Franklin field, or share with the Phillie's. My bet is Franklin field.

Playing in an 18,000 seat soccer stadium 20 miles from campus vs. playing in a 115 year old stadium on another school's campus 10 miles from campus.

Hmmm...

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - jaredf29 - 04-10-2011 10:04 PM

We can only speculate that the stadium was the issue, if so, I doubt the phillies want them to screw up their field. I believe the final date is June something so Nova has less than 2 months to convince the BE that can make it work.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - KnightTower - 04-10-2011 10:06 PM

(04-10-2011 10:04 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  We can only speculate that the stadium was the issue, if so, I doubt the phillies want them to screw up their field. I believe the final date is June something so Nova has less than 2 months to convince the BE that can make it work.

June 1st is the date another school has to leave its conference by in order to play in the Big east in 2012, right? So...a little over a month and a half.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - Borncoog74 - 04-10-2011 10:08 PM

(04-10-2011 10:06 PM)KnightTower Wrote:  
(04-10-2011 10:04 PM)jaredf29 Wrote:  We can only speculate that the stadium was the issue, if so, I doubt the phillies want them to screw up their field. I believe the final date is June something so Nova has less than 2 months to convince the BE that can make it work.

June 1st is the date another school has to leave its conference by in order to play in the Big east in 2012, right? So...a little over a month and a half.

Before July 1st 12:01am

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - Goldenbuc - 04-10-2011 10:09 PM

The conditions given by the Big East may not be that easy, for a reason. During this wait...I'm guessing that the BE had a lot of re-evaluating going on. Nova may just take their name out of the hat all together if the conditions aren't feasable. I think the BE moves forward without them.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - KnightTower - 04-10-2011 10:09 PM

(04-10-2011 10:08 PM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  

Before July 1st 12:01am

Ah. So 2.5 months.

Like I said elsewhere, this could be an easy jumping-off point for everyone involved.

Villanova could say: We tried. We wanted to. But the stadium issues weren't in order. Down the road when those issues become more feasable, we may try to move up again.
The Big East could say: We want Villanova, really, we do. But their stadium idea doesn't meet muster. If in the future they want to move up, they have priority. But for now, we're expanding to 10 football members. Moving on...

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - Borncoog74 - 04-10-2011 10:11 PM

This will happen sooner than that. It will be someone else as #10 while Nova regroups. Nova and someone else as #11 and #12 in 2014. Or no Nova and 2 someone elses as #11 and #12.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - Purple n Gold - 04-10-2011 10:17 PM

Or they could go 12 and take 3 from C-USA. ECU, Houston, and UCF

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - Kit-Cat - 04-10-2011 10:18 PM

(04-10-2011 10:01 PM)wvucrazed Wrote:  This is bizarre, you'd think the BE football members would have all been on board if they had given Nova even an "informal" invite. But I share their concern about the stadium - when will the expansion happen to 30k, assuming it happens? It's still not an ideal situation, even at 30k.

I don't understand why Villanova can't expand its home stadium to 25,000 seats? Any of the other models suggested like the soccer stadium or Franklin Field are stupid.

VU in a 25k on its stadium grounds would be able to offer the city an alternative to Temple's downtown location. A lot of VU alumni live off the mainline and can quickly get to games back on campus.

The stadium has a track, if they removed it and lowered the field I would think fairly easily they could get to 20k+ and that would be better than leasing at PPL park, a total BS move.

http://www.villanova.com/facilities/nova-facilities-stadium.html

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - KnightTower - 04-10-2011 10:20 PM

(04-10-2011 10:18 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  
(04-10-2011 10:01 PM)wvucrazed Wrote:  This is bizarre, you'd think the BE football members would have all been on board if they had given Nova even an "informal" invite. But I share their concern about the stadium - when will the expansion happen to 30k, assuming it happens? It's still not an ideal situation, even at 30k.

I don't understand why Villanova can't expand its home stadium to 25,000 seats? Any of the other models suggested like the soccer stadium or Franklin Field are stupid.

VU in a 25k on its stadium grounds would be able to offer the city an alternative to Temple's downtown location. A lot of VU alumni live off the mainline and can quickly get to games back on campus.

The stadium has a track, if they removed it and lowered the field I would think fairly easily they could get to 20k+ and that would be better than leasing at PPL park, a total BS move.

From what I've read, the town 'Nova's located in is full of NIMBY's (not in my backyard). Much like the kind UCF had to fight when building our stadium. Their concerns are about parking, traffic, noise, etc. Its generally accepted that the town that they're in (Radnor) wouldn't support it.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - DFW HOYA - 04-10-2011 10:22 PM

Too bad there's not a stadium like FedEx Field available. Or RFK Stadium. (Oh, wait...)

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - UHCougar07 - 04-10-2011 10:23 PM

Ugh, all of this is starting to get old.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - jaredf29 - 04-10-2011 10:25 PM

(04-10-2011 10:18 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

I think the problem lies with logistics like parking and that the local community doesn't want the chaos of a sports venue in their front yard.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - Goldenbuc - 04-10-2011 10:25 PM

I'm guessing that we won't see anymore Nova to the Big East, now. I think the football schools have a new agenda in mind and respectfully waited for Nova, like they said they would. Many hoped they'd make it easy and just say no. But they didn't...so the Big East football schools found their plan unacceptable. I'm thinking that Nova doesn't have a better plan in place and can't imagine they could just meet the conditions (whatever they are) by June, if they couldn't already. They've had a lot of time.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 04-10-2011 10:26 PM

FINALLY! Common sense FINALLY prevailed! It took WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long for it to happen but it did eventually happen.

Thank GOD!

This is all very simple. Rather than merely talking about possibly expanding PPL Park, go ahead and actually do it (and it needs to be more than the paltry 30K seater many are projecting) and then come and see us. Until then we need to cast our gaze in the direction of more deserving candidates like East Carolina and Central Florida.

RE: Uh oh...Villanova's vote delayed - swagsurfer11 - 04-10-2011 10:41 PM

I knew this meeting would be delayed, AGAIN. Hopefully the BE will not co-sign on this BS.