CSNbbs
To Frac or not to Frac - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+----- Forum: Off Topic (/forum-738.html)
+------ Forum: Politics (/forum-419.html)
+------ Thread: To Frac or not to Frac (/thread-484694.html)

To Frac or not to Frac - ClairtonPanther - 03-01-2011 05:31 PM

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11060/1128780-455.stm

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - ClairtonPanther - 03-01-2011 05:37 PM

Fire at Compressor Station

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11060/1128846-100.stm

I can verify that there wasn't an explosion that shook half of Hickory. I work within a mile of that little town, and was wide awake.

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - brista21 - 03-01-2011 09:32 PM

Natural gas is the one thing besides coal that the US can produce a lot of on its own. And its very low on particulate matter and greenhouses gases being emitted. Making the drilling process more efficient and have less of an impact on the environment makes it all the better.

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - ClairtonPanther - 03-01-2011 09:56 PM

Definitely. I think this is one of those its ok to drill but not in my backyard things. Tons of people want to move away from Wash County due to the drilling. I think its being a little unfairly attacked. I work for an environmental cleanup company. Our guys come in and clean Range Resources mud pits, frac tanks and ship out their water.

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - bitcruncher - 03-01-2011 10:21 PM

animus, natural gas drilling has ruined several places in West Virginia. Even if they use recycled water without the additional components, breaking the rock to free up the natural gas frees up a lot of other contaminants in the rock as well, some of which are very harmful to the water supply, and those who depend upon that water. That's the biggest reason people are moving away. They want clean water that won't make them sick. Even using the so-called cleaner method, the water will still get polluted. The pollutants are already in the soil, and breaking the rock releases those contaminants as well as the natural gas...

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - HtownOrange - 03-02-2011 05:26 PM

Bit, go hug a tree.

Seriously, there are some contaminants, but what is the make up in parts per million or parts per billion? One thing that happens often in the Oil & Gas world is that there are pollutants and such, but the limits are well within established guidelines. People are more apt to react the way the writer/reporter wants them too, if they simply use big chemical names and go right to the catastrophe without identifying the particulars that make such statements ridiculous.

We have many oil and/or gas wells in residential areas throughout Texas. Several other states have the same thing. What's more, is with directional drilling, the drillers can actually be miles away from the source. I have a friend that does directional drilling so he's explained it to me a couple of times. Naturally, i've forgotten most of it, glad there wasn't a test.

Back to the water issue. Most Oil and Gas is deeper than the water tables, so there should be little impact on drinking supplies.

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - bitcruncher - 03-02-2011 06:23 PM

(03-02-2011 05:26 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  Bit, go hug a tree.

Seriously, there are some contaminants, but what is the make up in parts per million or parts per billion? One thing that happens often in the Oil & Gas world is that there are pollutants and such, but the limits are well within established guidelines. People are more apt to react the way the writer/reporter wants them too, if they simply use big chemical names and go right to the catastrophe without identifying the particulars that make such statements ridiculous.

We have many oil and/or gas wells in residential areas throughout Texas. Several other states have the same thing. What's more, is with directional drilling, the drillers can actually be miles away from the source. I have a friend that does directional drilling so he's explained it to me a couple of times. Naturally, i've forgotten most of it, glad there wasn't a test.

Back to the water issue. Most Oil and Gas is deeper than the water tables, so there should be little impact on drinking supplies.
Why don't you go live somewhere where oil and gas companies are drilling? It might make you a bit more sympathetic to those who have to deal with the established government guidelines, which are filled with inconsistencies and loopholes, and have allowed big businesses to run roughshod over the average person since this nation was founded...

If you want to talk about ridiculous statements, try listening to someone who hasn't a clue about the facts talk about things that people have to deal with daily as a direct result of oil and gas company intrusions into their neighborhood.

Try reading a few articles about the issue, and not just government propaganda...

Water Contamination from Hydraulic Fracturing Lawyers Attorney Lawsuit

What the frack? US natural gas drilling method contaminates water

Two lawsuits contend groundwater in Barnett Shale contaminated by drilling

Anschutz Exploration accused of contaminating water

BTW, these articles are all from the last couple of months, and the frac methodology now being embraced by the oil and gas industry was used at all of these sites. There were over a hundred other articles I could have posted. All I had to do was google up groundwater contaminated by oil and gas drilling and use the advanced search method to restrict the time period. It was so simple somebody with no computer skills at all could have done the same...

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - ClairtonPanther - 03-02-2011 07:49 PM

I have to agree with bit. You don't have to be an tree hugging environmental Nazi to realize that fracking could be poisoning the drinking water supply. This is something I'm concerned about. I live with over a 100 in my backyard. On my way to work I pass over 25 well sites. I do like what its doing economically. And I like what natural gas can do for this nation in the future. As Brista said its a legit source of energy with low greenhouse gases being emitted. I just want a safer way to drill for natural gas.

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - bitcruncher - 03-02-2011 08:03 PM

I lived with mineral exploitation in West Virginia for a good bit of my life, and then worked in the oilfields in Oklahoma, Texas, Alaska, and offshore sites in the Gulf and California before a work related injury cut that career short. I've seen this argument from both sides...

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - HtownOrange - 03-03-2011 06:54 PM

(03-02-2011 06:23 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(03-02-2011 05:26 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  Bit, go hug a tree.

Why don't you go live somewhere where oil and gas companies are drilling? It might make you a bit more sympathetic to those who have to deal with the established government guidelines, which are filled with inconsistencies and loopholes, and have allowed big businesses to run roughshod over the average person since this nation was founded...

If you want to talk about ridiculous statements, try listening to someone who hasn't a clue about the facts talk about things that people have to deal with daily as a direct result of oil and gas company intrusions into their neighborhood.

Try reading a few articles about the issue, and not just government propaganda...

Water Contamination from Hydraulic Fracturing Lawyers Attorney Lawsuit

What the frack? US natural gas drilling method contaminates water

Two lawsuits contend groundwater in Barnett Shale contaminated by drilling

Anschutz Exploration accused of contaminating water

BTW, these articles are all from the last couple of months, and the frac methodology now being embraced by the oil and gas industry was used at all of these sites. There were over a hundred other articles I could have posted. All I had to do was google up groundwater contaminated by oil and gas drilling and use the advanced search method to restrict the time period. It was so simple somebody with no computer skills at all could have done the same...

Bit,
1) The "Hug a tree" comment was a lighthearted comment, I know you are not a tree hugger and also know from your writings that you are usually reasonable on issues, opinionated, but aren't we all.
2) I live outside Houston (Htown), we have wells all over, 'nuff said.
3) Does your area filter their water? Serious question, many areas do not.
4) I haven't to time to read the articles you've posted at this time, but they cannot be too different from what I've read time and again. I am serious that many times the writers are exploiting an opportunity to propogate their agenda. Same with attorneys, I know, I work with many attorneys. Writers are not always objective, same with the O&G companies. However, when procedures are followed as established, usually there are few incidences.
5) Good O&G companies know it is far less expensive to follow procedures and ensure that water supplies are not affected, than to risk spills and such.

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - bitcruncher - 03-03-2011 07:52 PM

I agree with you about good O&G companies. But how many are good, and for how long are they good? Any company is only as good as the people they employ, and it varies pretty widely from company to company. I worked for an oilfield subcontractor for a number of companies. I've seen both ends of the spectrum...

Remember the movie Erin Brockovich? I was based on a true story, about a highly publicized incident where well water was contaminated by a company that was not run by good people. That's just one of a thousand examples you can find in a very short time by looking for them, and all of the examples you find are about big companies who walk all over the little people because they can buy their way out of trouble...

BTW, the tree hugger comment didn't bother me. I know who and what I am. So that stuff just slides off my back. No harm. No foul...

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - HtownOrange - 03-04-2011 04:09 PM

Agreed, Bit. And I have no issue with government using the heavy hand to punish violators, to include punishment of executives and decision makers who perpetrate these crimes. This in turn will further dissuade companies taking the risk of bypassing environmental laws. I do believe that execs need a little jail time when this stuff happens intentionally.

RE: To Frac or not to Frac - bitcruncher - 03-04-2011 05:49 PM

I think more than a little jail time is needed for people who put other people's lives at risk to save a few bucks. People like that should be shot to improve the human genome...