CSNbbs
Greek system - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: Blazer Ticket Exchange & Memorabilia Center (/forum-398.html)
+------- Thread: Greek system (/thread-47551.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Greek system - LouayB - 12-15-2006 02:46 PM

How is the Greek system doing at UAB these Days?

- Grammar-Nazi - 12-15-2006 02:46 PM

UAB has a Greek system?

- Blzer4Life - 12-15-2006 02:49 PM

Grammar-Nazi Wrote:UAB has a Greek system?

Ask BatesUAB or dfarr

- dfarr - 12-15-2006 03:09 PM

4 IFC fraternities 4 NPC sororities

I can't keep up w/ the NPHC groups. I think Deltas are back on campus but the Omegas aren't. Not really sure since I'm alumni.

Several people on the board were/are Greeks.

- Grammar-Nazi - 12-15-2006 03:11 PM

I just didn't know. I've never heard much about it. I know there were attempts to start one -- several times -- when I was an undergrad in the '80s. And when I worked there in the early '90s, there were some groups off campus, but I didn't think there was/were much of an organized system.

Of course, I have a vastly different perspective of that now, having most recently worked at two universities with huge Greek systems. MTSU's Greek row stretches two city blocks, with houses most millionaires would love to have.

- dfarr - 12-15-2006 03:27 PM

Grammar-Nazi Wrote:I just didn't know. I've never heard much about it. I know there were attempts to start one -- several times -- when I was an undergrad in the '80s. And when I worked there in the early '90s, there were some groups off campus, but I didn't think there was/were much of an organized system.

Of course, I have a vastly different perspective of that now, having most recently worked at two universities with huge Greek systems. MTSU's Greek row stretches two city blocks, with houses most millionaires would love to have.

Umm, I know my chapter has been at UAB since 1985, and we aren't the oldest chapter at UAB.

- Grammar-Nazi - 12-15-2006 03:41 PM

dfarr Wrote:
Grammar-Nazi Wrote:I just didn't know. I've never heard much about it. I know there were attempts to start one -- several times -- when I was an undergrad in the '80s. And when I worked there in the early '90s, there were some groups off campus, but I didn't think there was/were much of an organized system.

Umm, I know my chapter has been at UAB since 1985, and we aren't the oldest chapter at UAB.

There were Greek chapters there in the '80s, there just wasn't a Greek "system," to my knowledge.

What happened - LouayB - 12-15-2006 04:06 PM

four Frats?

I know theta chi went under after I left..but the rest?

I remember we had alpha tau omega, tai kappa epsilon, lamda chi alpha, delta sigma, pie kappa phi, theta chi, and kappa sigma.

What's left?

Did gena finally have her way?

- dfarr - 12-15-2006 04:43 PM

Grammar-Nazi Wrote:
dfarr Wrote:

There were Greek chapters there in the '80s, there just wasn't a Greek "system," to my knowledge.

No, there has always been a system, it's just very small.

Re: What happened - dfarr - 12-15-2006 04:44 PM

LouayB Wrote:four Frats?

I know theta chi went under after I left..but the rest?

I remember we had alpha tau omega, tai kappa epsilon, lamda chi alpha, delta sigma, pie kappa phi, theta chi, and kappa sigma.

What's left?

Did gena finally have her way?

ATO went under a couple years ago. Pi Kappa Phi, Lambda Chi, Delta Sig, and TKE are still around.

- uab278 - 12-15-2006 06:33 PM

dfarr Wrote:4 IFC fraternities 4 NPC sororities

I can't keep up w/ the NPHC groups. I think Deltas are back on campus but the Omegas aren't. Not really sure since I'm alumni.

Several people on the board were/are Greeks.

Deltas are back on campus.

Omegas got kicked off campus.

I think IFC is trying to expand.

I know that Pi Kappa Phi recently won multiple national awards and was named one of the best Pi Kapp chapters in the nation over the summer.

I am not sure about the other 3.

Overall, I would say IFC is doing well.

- 89_Blazer - 12-15-2006 09:47 PM

I was going to go "Greek" when I was in school, but I couldn't afford the "r". ;-)

- MC Blazer - 12-20-2006 01:34 PM

Grammar-Nazi Wrote:
dfarr Wrote:

The Greek system was pretty strong from 80-87. It took a nose dive after several national law suits and UAB attempts to reorganize the system, putting all houses on campus under some draconian rules. The strongest were: TKE, Lambda Chi, Theta Chi, ATO, Alpha Phi Alpha, Pi Kaps, Omega Psi Phi, Kappas, Alpha Gams, Sigma Delta, AZTs. We all had a pretty good run until liability lawyers got involved.

I was a Teke, and we did have the best houses (originally). First was the Loveman's home (Alpine Style) on Rhodes Circle. Second was a house in the exclusive Glen Iris Cirlce area (The Jemison Home), complete with servants quarters and carriage house. Yeah, our neighbors LOVED US! lmfao Both homes were official historic sites and were leased. Eventually, we settled across the street from South Highlands Hospital, corner of 14 Ave. and 12 St. The house was old (1918), and not nearly as glamorous as the first two, but we owned it!

- UABwalker156 - 12-20-2006 02:05 PM

Louay, the Pi Kapps were in your old house for a while. They got run out of town by the neighbor on the corner.

I rarely see any of the Theta Chi's that were active when you were. With the exception of Maloney and Belcher.

- MC Blazer - 12-20-2006 02:09 PM

UABwalker156 Wrote:Louay, the Pi Kapps were in your old house for a while. They got run out of town by the neighbor on the corner.

I rarely see any of the Theta Chi's that were active when you were. With the exception of Maloney and Belcher.

Brian Mackin was a Theta Chi.

- uab278 - 12-20-2006 05:16 PM

UABwalker156 Wrote:Louay, the Pi Kapps were in your old house for a while. They got run out of town by the neighbor on the corner.

Not out of town but to a different part of the neighborhood. I think it was the same guy that caused a lot of problems for Theta Chi. Actually, I know it is the same guy.

- LouayB - 12-20-2006 06:35 PM

If you don't mind me asking, who is this?

Thanks

- LouayB - 12-20-2006 06:37 PM

uab278 Wrote:

Not out of town but to a different part of the neighborhood. I think it was the same guy that caused a lot of problems for Theta Chi. Actually, I know it is the same guy.

Man that guy was brutal..I could not stand him! he called the police on us for being too loud playing volleyball at noon.

Sad old man...

- BTR - 12-20-2006 06:56 PM

While I was there we actually made good inroads with the community. I was the IFC VP and part of my responsibility was making the neighborhood meetings. Yeah, sometimes they dogged us but we were involved in some of the neighborhood events and actually helped clean the neighborhood after parties. Of course our fraternity had to sue the City of Birmingham because they said that frats violated an ordinance banning no more than related people from sharing a house. We sued, they finally dropped the charges against us.

I have no idea how things are going now.

is Gina still there? - LouayB - 12-20-2006 07:21 PM

that lady had it out for the fraternities! I used to fight with every freaking day.