CSNbbs
I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Smack Talk (/forum-423.html)
+----- Thread: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... (/thread-467921.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - Maize - 12-05-2010 03:28 PM

even with some putting down UConn if you truly think about it the Huskies are becoming the Number 1 college team in New England. While BC has been pretty good they have yet to make it to a BCS Bowl game while the Huskies have.

That should take even more players away from Chestnut Hill and to Storrs and what even better is that under Doug Marrone, Syracuse is finally coming back.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - krux - 12-05-2010 03:31 PM

Just as we all knew. The Big East had a down YEAR and have used that year to position themselves for future depth and success.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - SF Husky - 12-05-2010 03:43 PM

With TCU in the conference, we should compete very well against the ACC in the future. BCU is just a body in the ACC and nothing more. I do believe not playing their regional rivalries regularly will hurt them.

Many UCONN fans predicted that UCONN would be in a BCS bowl before BCU when we went to D1A. Most BCU fans said we got no chance. Today is just another reality they have to deal with.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - bearcatfan - 12-05-2010 04:00 PM

If they are bringing in more money by being in the ACC (and I think they are) they are probably not too upset. A lot of it is about the money.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - omniorange - 12-05-2010 04:02 PM

(12-05-2010 03:43 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  With TCU in the conference, we should compete very well against the ACC in the future. BCU is just a body in the ACC and nothing more. I do believe not playing their regional rivalries regularly will hurt them.

Many UCONN fans predicted that UCONN would be in a BCS bowl before BCU when we went to D1A. Most BCU fans said we got no chance. Today is just another reality they have to deal with.

True, but I hope there is another BCS Bowl trip UConn makes before BC gets to one that is based on an 11-1 or 10-2 type record.

The circumstances of this year's BCS trip I'm sure aren't stinging Beagles fans as much as you might think.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - CatsClaw - 12-05-2010 04:05 PM

They can brag about cashing big checks in the ACC, but I'm sure you can't use that talk trash on the field.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - Maize - 12-05-2010 04:14 PM

(12-05-2010 04:05 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  They can brag about cashing big checks in the ACC, but I'm sure you can't use that talk trash on the field.

I'm thinking more long term. Right now they are making more money @ Chestnut Hill but that is mainly because the ACC just got a new TV deal.

Now with the BIG EAST in major markets like NYC, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Tampa/Saint Pete and now Dallas/Fort Worth our new deal might not be as last per school as the ACC but I bet it comes very close.

And right now it probably more likely that UConn & Syracuse would make another BCS Bowl game before the BC ever will.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - DFW HOYA - 12-05-2010 05:11 PM

BC average football attendance, 2003: 42,604
BC average football attendance, 2010: 38,369

2011 home opponents: Northwestern, Wake Forest, Duke, UMass, NC State, Florida State. Good seats now available.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - MichaelSavage - 12-05-2010 05:38 PM

(12-05-2010 05:11 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  BC average football attendance, 2003: 42,604

2011 home opponents: Northwestern, Wake Forest, Duke, UMass, NC State, Florida State. Good seats now available.

Do you honestly think BC fans are upset that they're missing out on playing Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati and soon to be TCU? They have zero history with those schools either.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - SF Husky - 12-05-2010 06:03 PM

(12-05-2010 04:02 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(12-05-2010 03:43 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  With TCU in the conference, we should compete very well against the ACC in the future. BCU is just a body in the ACC and nothing more. I do believe not playing their regional rivalries regularly will hurt them.

True, but I hope there is another BCS Bowl trip UConn makes before BC gets to one that is based on an 11-1 or 10-2 type record.

The circumstances of this year's BCS trip I'm sure aren't stinging Beagles fans as much as you might think.

Cheers,
Neil

Oh they are stinging. Trust me. UCONN will get there again before the Eagles even after this season. We have a great athletic program.

Yeah they can brag about money all they want, but at end of the days for fans it is about wins and losses on the field. Besides, Texas and ND will always have that argument won each time.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - RealDeal - 12-05-2010 08:02 PM

(12-05-2010 06:03 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  Oh they are stinging. Trust me. UCONN will get there again before the Eagles even after this season. We have a great athletic program.
There aren't many schools who can match your two coaches in the big revenue sports with Calhoun and Edsall. I'm a huge fan of what Edsall's done with your program.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - Maize - 12-05-2010 08:14 PM

(12-05-2010 05:38 PM)MichaelSavage Wrote:  
(12-05-2010 05:11 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  BC average football attendance, 2003: 42,604

Do you honestly think BC fans are upset that they're missing out on playing Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati and soon to be TCU? They have zero history with those schools either.

But they do/did have a history with Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers and West Virginia plus UConn is a regional school. What history do/did they have with the Southern based conference that is the ACC.

And before you mention TCU even the Horned Frogs will tell you they were developing a good rivalry with UC and UofL back in C-USA if you want to use that comparison. BC still doesn't have any main rivals in the ACC.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - frogman - 12-05-2010 08:38 PM

BC has never made a BCS games but they almost did their last season in the BE. Of course by losing to SYR BC's hopes got dashed. But few people realize that BC was one of only two teams in the old BE to never make the final four in BB. The other team was Miami.

So there's BC no BCS and no FF in their history. I know they are making more money in the ACC but I bet their fans rather play UCONN, SYR, Rutgers and other northeastern teams. Especially since they are Boston, the snobeist place on earth.

However Boston College would never want to play in the Pinstripe Bowl in "Yankee" Stadium.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - BigOwensboroCard - 12-05-2010 08:43 PM

Louisville has played Boston College, and I think it was a home and home series back when Ron Cooper was doing his best to dismantle what Howard was able to build into a respectable program.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - Maize - 12-05-2010 08:47 PM

(12-05-2010 08:43 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  

Louisville has played Boston College, and I think it was a home and home series back when Ron Cooper was doing his best to dismantle what Howard was able to build into a respectable program.

As a matter of fact Howard win over BC in 91 ended up putting Louisville in the Fiesta Bowl against Alabama. Now that is one of my favorite games because UofL absolutely DESTROYED the Crimson Tide in that one. 05-mafia 04-cheers

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - Eagle78 - 12-05-2010 11:56 PM

"Oh they are stinging. Trust me. UCONN will get there again before the Eagles even after this season. We have a great athletic program.

Yeah they can brag about money all they want, but at end of the days for fans it is about wins and losses on the field. Besides, Texas and ND will always have that argument won each time. "

First of all...congratulatons to Uconn. The above statement, however, is ridiculous. Uconn got to the BCS by winning the BE. But they ARE an 8-4 team. BC fans understand how this game is played with the AQ and Uconn should be congratulated because they have found a way to make the bowl, unlike BC who has come close several times. We recognize it for what it is. But come on, its not like Uconn was an 11-1 or 10-2 team that has emerged as the beast of the East. If Uconn fans want to delude themselves about this, that's fine. We feel differently, thats all.

BC's fanbase is VERY happy in the ACC. BC has what it has wanted - an all-sports conference with maximum financial security. The comments about BC playing rivals is not accurate. BC IS playing its rival from the BE days - Syracuse. They were the only true rival we had. As far as new rivals - Clemson has emerged as a budding rival. Both fanbases have meshed well and the game each year is anticipated by both schools. ND also remains on the schedule long term.

Neil, in his post, nailed it. BC's fanbase has moved on. Many BC fans wish others would as well. I would much rather chat about the upcoming BE vs. ACC bowl tilts instead of seeing these continued "I wonder if BC wishes they were back in the BE" posts. We don't..and you guys don't want us back anyways. With the arrival of TCU and the comments today from the B10, I think the BE has stabilized itself. Everyone is where they want to be which is good

We are looking forward to our bowl in SF in January. We play a one loss Nevada team that is ranked #11 in the country. Sure, not a BCS, but not a bad bowl either - especially for a very young team (with true freshman throughout the two deep - including the starting QB, both wide receivers, LB, and running back at the end of the season) that everybody had given up for dead when they were 2-5.

Cheers

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - brista21 - 12-06-2010 12:32 AM

Eagle I know many BC fans and alumni thanks to my family ties to Boston and one of my best friends going to school at BC. You're the first that genuinely likes the ACC better from the fan perspective. They all wish BC was still playing a conference schedule with Syracuse, UConn, WVU, Rutgers, Pitt and even Temple on it.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - Eagle78 - 12-06-2010 01:44 AM

(12-06-2010 12:32 AM)brista21 Wrote:  Eagle I know many BC fans and alumni thanks to my family ties to Boston and one of my best friends going to school at BC. You're the first that genuinely likes the ACC better from the fan perspective. They all wish BC was still playing a conference schedule with Syracuse, UConn, WVU, Rutgers, Pitt and even Temple on it.

Brista, if I had a nickel for every person from the BE who claims they know BC fans that would rather be in the BE...well, you know.
I have been a season ticket holder since the 1980's, belong to two alumni associations, and cross paths at one time or other with hundreds of alumni each year at meetings, functions, tailgates, etc. The overwhleming majority are very happy in the ACC. Oh, sure, some do miss the MSG BE BB Tourney; but that is it. Last year, 7,500 fans made the trip to Charlotsville to see BC play Virginia and about 5,000 traveled to the Maryland game.

Any BC fan would not miss playing Uconn. While I know a number of good Uconn fans, I have to say we only played them a couple of times; and the one time at the Rent, BC fans were treated horribly. (Beer bottles hurled at studnt busses, f-bombs raining down on BC families) I was there and saw it. The fan experience at WVU for BC fans was not much better. Its kind of lousy when you cannot wear your BC gear to an away game due to a real concern for your personal safety.

Regarding Rutgers, the fans were much better but those games weren't very appealing to BC fans as they were very one sided the years we played them (I think BC was something like 12-1-1 against Rutgers in BE play.) Temple? You have to be kidding! The one team BC did miss playing - Syracuse - is back on the schedule for a long-term series.

Virtually every year BC has been in the ACC, it has broken records for annual alumni donations to the Flynn Fund. This past year, the alumni donation to BC athletics topped $27M...thats more than double what it was in the BE. As with anything else, money talks!

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - frogman - 12-06-2010 06:47 AM

Yea money talks but how many fans really care about how much money a college is making?
Fact is when BC played for the ACC FB title game nobody showed up.

The donations are up but the fan interest is declining. In honesty, the SYR rivalry helps BC a great deal more than it helps SYR. We don't need a regional rival, we have Rutgers and UCONN and would like to add Temple.

The ACC pushes those non conference season ending OOC football games and I think this is a great thing. Ga. Tech, UGA; Clemson, South Carolina; FSU, Florida-and now SYR, BC- pretty brave way to end the regular season. I can see SYR keeping the BC game. I'm sure each college has friends at the other's administratrative office. But te game helps BC more than SYR.

RE: I wonder what Boston College is thinking now... - cuseroc - 12-06-2010 08:45 AM

What I find interesting is that every time someone starts a thread about BC (Which doesnt happen that often), or makes a post about BC in some other irrelevant thread, there is always a BC fan that pops up to tell us how much they dont care about the BE. Yet they are here on a BE board telling us how much they dont care about the BE. 03-lmfao

BTW; nice win against the Cuse at the Dome. We will return the favor up at your home next year. 04-cheers