CSNbbs
Big East looks to expand - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-517.html)
+----- Forum: Realignment Archives (/forum-937.html)
+----- Thread: Big East looks to expand (/thread-460324.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Big East looks to expand - templefan1 - 11-02-2010 08:42 AM

(11-01-2010 09:59 PM)No Bull Wrote:  My guess is that the big announcement that is about to come out in Nova agreeingto move there program up.

I don't know about that considering the Villanova BOTs have not even voted on moving up. Villanova head coach Andy Talley was quoted as saying the decision would be coming in December...

RE: Big East looks to expand - RecoveringHillbilly - 11-02-2010 08:57 AM

(11-02-2010 06:16 AM)oasispirate Wrote:  
(11-02-2010 03:53 AM)RecoveringHillbilly Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 11:35 PM)oasispirate Wrote:  PG-Pete Marovich/Chris Paul/Phil Ford/John Wall
SG-Michael Jordan/Jerry Stackhouse
SF-Dominique Wilkins/David Thompson/Walter Davis
PF-James Worthy/David West/Rodney Rogers
C-Walt Bellamy/Brad Dougherty/Bob Macadoo
All-time NBA/ABA NY born players: 284 NC: 100
All-Time NBA/ABA NY born 10K+ pts scorers: 39 NC: 14

This is a team made up of just the NYC/LI prep stars in the HOF:

PG Bob Cousey, Lenny Wilkins, Tiny Archibald, Larry Brown
SG Dr J, D.ick McGuire, Bobby Wanzer
SF Dolph Schayes
PF Connie Hawkins, Billy Cunningham
C Kareem

Again, this doesn't include the guys that go to basketball factories now in NC. If you want to include those numbers, the numbers get much much greater.

I still say the all NC team would destroy that team. The only New Yorker that would start is Kareem.

NC basketball factories are recent developments, and haven't pumped out nearly the numbers of NBA players and HOF'ers. Do you realize just how dominant guys like Hawkins and Cousey were? They re-defined their positions. You have Wall on the NC first team? Recall that Kenny Anderson WAS John Wall 20 years ago, and even HE can't be listed among the Top 5 all-time NYC PG's. And the fact that you needed to include youngin's who haven't done anything like Shavlik Randolph and Eric Maynor on your expanded list speaks volumes of how light the NC player production really is compared to NY.

Pro players from NY high schools

Pro players from NC high schools

RE: Big East looks to expand - Frank the Tank - 11-02-2010 09:33 AM

(11-01-2010 11:35 PM)oasispirate Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 11:50 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 11:44 AM)Raleighwood Pirate Wrote:  However, what Florida is for football NC is for basketball recruits. We put out the best recruits in the country in basketball.

Is that really true? North Carolina might have the best college basketball fans in the country, but I don't know if it's really the best recruiting ground. NYC and Chicago have produced a disproportionate share of basketball stars over the past 30 years, and other large urban areas (LA, DC, Philly, Detroit) are close behind. Out of the "smaller" states with lots of college basketball fans, Indiana seems to be an unusually fertile basketball recruiting ground compared to its overall population.

I'll take the alltime North Carolina prep basketball team and drag NYC and Chicago combined. Hell throw in the rest of NY and IL as well. My list doesnt even include Prep school guys like Tracey McGrady that played at Mt. Zion. Marovich technically from WV, but played his HS ball at Broughton in Raleigh.

PG-Pete Marovich/Chris Paul/Phil Ford/John Wall

Other notables
PG-Bobby Jackson
SG-Gerald Wilkins
SG-Blue Edwards
PF-Todd Fuller
PG-Darrell Armstrong
SG-Henry Bibby
PF-Danny Manning
C-Tom Burleson
G-Sleepy Floyd
SF-Josh Howard
F-Sam Jones
G/F-Lou Hudson
F-Cedrick Maxwell
PG-Eric Maynor
C-Brendan Haywood
G/F-Rashad Mccants
G-Nate MacMillan
F-Shavlik Randolph

I could go on and on.

Look, I'm the biggest Michael Jordan fan in the world, so I'll grant that he's basically worth 2 mega-stars and could win a game by himself. That being said, Chicago has pumped out incredible talent in its history:

PG - Isiah Thomas/Derrick Rose/Tim Hardaway
SG - Dwyane Wade/Nick Anderson/Eddie Johnson
SF - Mark Aguirre/Michael Finley/Antoine Walker
PF - Kevin Garnett/Terry Cummings/Juwan Howard
C - George Mikan/Dan Issel/Red Kerr
Coaches - Coach K/Ray Meyer/Jerry Sloan

I'll put that team up against anyone. Plenty of people left off that list, too, including Doc Rivers, Kendall Gill, Maurice Cheeks, Quinn Buckner, Hersey Hawkins, Cazzie Russell, Jeff Hornacek, Evan Turner, Nazr Mohammed,etc.

Regardless, how many of those NC players that you listed actually ended up at ECU? 05-stirthepot

RE: Big East looks to expand - TigerPete - 11-02-2010 09:54 AM

(11-02-2010 05:00 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 10:11 PM)TigerPete Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 09:18 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 09:11 PM)miko33 Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 09:01 PM)TigerPete Wrote:  I am shocked how Memphis has gone from one of the leading candidates to not mentioned. Memphis is obviously having a poor rebuilding season in football that is swaying the board talk. This past summer many were okay with the Tigers being taken (when the UCF and Memphis rumors were hot) and certainly most would have had them in their top 4 candidates. Amazing how it has changed in a few months.

Wrong. I consistently hated the idea of Memphis joining the BE from the very beginning. The only people that were on board were a few who lost their marbles for a moment and were hoping to reunite with an "old friend". Cooler heads are now prevailing, and the majority on here now realize that Memphis will NEVER be able to play the quality of football that the BE conf truly needs. The BE is not the Dept of Welfare...

Now now Miko be nice......it could be Christmas Eve for all of us here and some since of where the conference is going could be revealed...play nice and friendly

Some (certainly not all) of you guys act like you are God's gift to college football conferences. What I find funny is that not one of your stinking programs is even ranked in a poll right now! Get over yourselves. You are the weakest BCS conference. Count it a blessing other schools want to join your nice conference. I certainly am a fan of your conference, but some of you need a reality check of where you stand in the big scheme of things.

Before you go pi$$ in my wheaties, please go back through the months of my posts towards miko and memphis. You will find that you and I think alike. That is the tone of my post, not to belittle Memphis. Unfornately this is a perfect example of taking something out of context on a message board.

DGRACE, my comment was certainly not towards you! I apologize if it was taken that way.

RE: Big East looks to expand - cuseroc - 11-02-2010 10:12 AM

(11-02-2010 08:57 AM)RecoveringHillbilly Wrote:  
(11-02-2010 06:16 AM)oasispirate Wrote:  
(11-02-2010 03:53 AM)RecoveringHillbilly Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 11:35 PM)oasispirate Wrote:  PG-Pete Marovich/Chris Paul/Phil Ford/John Wall
All-time NBA/ABA NY born players: 284 NC: 100
All-Time NBA/ABA NY born 10K+ pts scorers: 39 NC: 14

This is a team made up of just the NYC/LI prep stars in the HOF:

PG Bob Cousey, Lenny Wilkins, Tiny Archibald, Larry Brown
SG Dr J, D.ick McGuire, Bobby Wanzer
SF Dolph Schayes
PF Connie Hawkins, Billy Cunningham
C Kareem

Again, this doesn't include the guys that go to basketball factories now in NC. If you want to include those numbers, the numbers get much much greater.

I still say the all NC team would destroy that team. The only New Yorker that would start is Kareem.

NC basketball factories are recent developments, and haven't pumped out nearly the numbers of NBA players and HOF'ers. Do you realize just how dominant guys like Hawkins and Cousey were? They re-defined their positions. You have Wall on the NC first team? Recall that Kenny Anderson WAS John Wall 20 years ago, and even HE can't be listed among the Top 5 all-time NYC PG's. And the fact that you needed to include youngin's who haven't done anything like Shavlik Randolph and Eric Maynor on your expanded list speaks volumes of how light the NC player production really is compared to NY.

Pro players from NY high schools

Pro players from NC high schools

Nice Find Hillbilly. One thing that we all knew at the moment that the ECU fan typed the words "However, what Florida is for football NC is for basketball recruits. We put out the best recruits in the country in basketball." is its one of the most preposterous statements that I have read on a message board. It is one of the dumbest statements ever made on a message board, and the OP and anyone else should refrain from making any more attemts at defending his statement. 03-lmfao

RE: Big East looks to expand - No Bull - 11-02-2010 10:14 AM

(11-02-2010 09:33 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 11:44 AM)Raleighwood Pirate Wrote:  However, what Florida is for football NC is for basketball recruits. We put out the best recruits in the country in basketball.

Is that really true? North Carolina might have the best college basketball fans in the country, but I don't know if it's really the best recruiting ground. NYC and Chicago have produced a disproportionate share of basketball stars over the past 30 years, and other large urban areas (LA, DC, Philly, Detroit) are close behind. Out of the "smaller" states with lots of college basketball fans, Indiana seems to be an unusually fertile basketball recruiting ground compared to its overall population.

I'll take the alltime North Carolina prep basketball team and drag NYC and Chicago combined. Hell throw in the rest of NY and IL as well. My list doesnt even include Prep school guys like Tracey McGrady that played at Mt. Zion. Marovich technically from WV, but played his HS ball at Broughton in Raleigh.

Other notables
PG-Bobby Jackson
SG-Gerald Wilkins
SG-Blue Edwards
PF-Todd Fuller
PG-Darrell Armstrong
SG-Henry Bibby
PF-Danny Manning
C-Tom Burleson
G-Sleepy Floyd
SF-Josh Howard
F-Sam Jones
G/F-Lou Hudson
F-Cedrick Maxwell
PG-Eric Maynor
C-Brendan Haywood
G/F-Rashad Mccants
G-Nate MacMillan
F-Shavlik Randolph

I could go on and on.

Look, I'm the biggest Michael Jordan fan in the world, so I'll grant that he's basically worth 2 mega-stars and could win a game by himself. That being said, Chicago has pumped out incredible talent in its history:

I'll put that team up against anyone. Plenty of people left off that list, too, including Doc Rivers, Kendall Gill, Maurice Cheeks, Quinn Buckner, Hersey Hawkins, Cazzie Russell, Jeff Hornacek, Evan Turner, Nazr Mohammed,etc.

Regardless, how many of those NC players that you listed actually ended up at ECU? 05-stirthepot

05-offtopic

RE: Big East looks to expand - Raleighwood Pirate - 11-02-2010 10:28 AM

Other notables
PG-Bobby Jackson
SG-Gerald Wilkins
SG-Blue Edwards
PF-Todd Fuller
PG-Darrell Armstrong
SG-Henry Bibby
PF-Danny Manning
C-Tom Burleson
G-Sleepy Floyd
SF-Josh Howard
F-Sam Jones
G/F-Lou Hudson
F-Cedrick Maxwell
PG-Eric Maynor
C-Brendan Haywood
G/F-Rashad Mccants
G-Nate MacMillan
F-Shavlik Randolph

I could go on and on.

Blue Edwards.

Jerry Stackhouse and other basketball notables come from Eastern NC. Were Vince Carter and Antwan Jamison both from Eastern NC as well? MJ is an eastern NC guy.

RE: Big East looks to expand - wvucrazed - 11-02-2010 12:19 PM

If we go the 12/20 route, this is what i'd like to see:

FB North:

UCONN
Syracuse
Rutgers
Villanova
Pittsburgh
West Virginia

FB South:

Cincinnati
Louisville
South Florida
Memphis or UCF or ECU
TCU
Houston

All Sports:

Northeast:

UCONN
Providence
St. John's
Seton Hall
Syracuse

Mid-Atlantic:

Rutgers
Villanova
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Georgetown

Mid-west:

Marquette
DePaul
Notre Dame
St. Louis
Cincinnati

South:

Louisville
TCU
Houston
UCF or ECU or Memphis
South Florida

RE: Big East looks to expand - Chappy - 11-02-2010 12:27 PM

Antawn Jamison went to Providence HS in Charlotte/Matthews NC with my wife.

RE: Big East looks to expand - Villecard - 11-02-2010 01:32 PM

I asked Pat Forde of ESPN about his thoughts and here was his reply:

Ethan (Louisville)

Pat-do you expect anything major to come out of the Big East President/AD meeting today? Possibly inviting TCU and others to join? Thanks!

Pat Forde (2:31 PM)

Ethan: Good question. I know there are some people in the league who are really pushing for expansion to protect the football interests -- which, let's face it, are what drives the bus. (Non-Boise Bus in this circumstance.) They want to get to 10 or 12 football-playing members so that the league has a footbal future and could survive any potential poaching from others. That could create an absolute basketball mess -- 20 teams? -- but that might be a fact of life if the Big East wants to survive long-term.

RE: Big East looks to expand - dgrace4cards - 11-02-2010 01:36 PM

(11-02-2010 01:32 PM)Villecard Wrote:  I asked Pat Forde of ESPN about his thoughts and here was his reply:

Ethan (Louisville)

Pat-do you expect anything major to come out of the Big East President/AD meeting today? Possibly inviting TCU and others to join? Thanks!

Pat Forde (2:31 PM)

Ethan: Good question. I know there are some people in the league who are really pushing for expansion to protect the football interests -- which, let's face it, are what drives the bus. (Non-Boise Bus in this circumstance.) They want to get to 10 or 12 football-playing members so that the league has a footbal future and could survive any potential poaching from others. That could create an absolute basketball mess -- 20 teams? -- but that might be a fact of life if the Big East wants to survive long-term.

How freaking hard is it for these journalist to answer a question rather directly. Lot of prancing around the question but he wouldn't directly answer. Means he doesn't have anything on it for today I'd assume...

What do you think E?

RE: Big East looks to expand - oasispirate - 11-02-2010 01:41 PM

(11-02-2010 10:28 AM)Raleighwood Pirate Wrote:  

Other notables
PG-Bobby Jackson
SG-Gerald Wilkins
SG-Blue Edwards
PF-Todd Fuller
PG-Darrell Armstrong
SG-Henry Bibby
PF-Danny Manning
C-Tom Burleson
G-Sleepy Floyd
SF-Josh Howard
F-Sam Jones
G/F-Lou Hudson
F-Cedrick Maxwell
PG-Eric Maynor
C-Brendan Haywood
G/F-Rashad Mccants
G-Nate MacMillan
F-Shavlik Randolph

I could go on and on.

Blue Edwards.

Jerry Stackhouse and other basketball notables come from Eastern NC. Were Vince Carter and Antwan Jamison both from Eastern NC as well? MJ is an eastern NC guy.

Yup forgot Jamison he is from Charlotte. Vince Carter however is from Florida.

Have fun dealing with the wings of Jordan/Wilkins/Thompson, should be blast for the opposing team 05-stirthepot

RE: Big East looks to expand - KnightLight - 11-02-2010 01:51 PM

(11-02-2010 01:41 PM)oasispirate Wrote:  Vince Carter however is from Florida.

Yep...Vince Carter is from Daytona Beach.

RE: Big East looks to expand - GO_TU - 11-02-2010 02:27 PM

(11-01-2010 09:12 AM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 08:34 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Thanks for the link. It looks like the 12/20 is really being considered. So we would be adding:

TCU
Houston
Central Florida
Villanove or Temple

Memphis and East Carolina or not mentioned! What's you take? 04-cheers

My take is that only Nova and TCU are known for sure.

Where will Nova play?