CSNbbs
The movie thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: The movie thread (/thread-433700.html)

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 07-10-2010 10:10 PM

Predators:
--I gotta say Rodriguez did this right. I only have an issue with the not really explaining HOW they got to the planet but otherwise it is great.

--Its not a bad movie but I still feel like it wreaks of all the movies that influenced it.

--TV Show is really good..... you might ought to watch as a supplement to the movie The Last Airbender

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 07-13-2010 12:51 AM

(07-01-2010 07:18 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(07-01-2010 06:39 AM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  Watched Adventureland . . . . and I'm with Lush when it comes to Stewart. I haven't seen any Twilight movie, though.

maybe i need to watch it again, because i see very limited skills when i watch her

You can hate Kristen Stewart, but this is such a great film. Just rewatched, and for the record, she's fantastic. I thought Ryan Reynolds was a douche, but he's actually pretty sweet. At least in this film.

RE: The movie thread - flyingswoosh - 07-13-2010 12:39 PM

(07-13-2010 12:51 AM)Lush Wrote:  
(07-01-2010 07:18 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(07-01-2010 06:39 AM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  Watched Adventureland . . . . and I'm with Lush when it comes to Stewart. I haven't seen any Twilight movie, though.

maybe i need to watch it again, because i see very limited skills when i watch her

You can hate Kristen Stewart, but this is such a great film. Just rewatched, and for the record, she's fantastic. I thought Ryan Reynolds was a douche, but he's actually pretty sweet. At least in this film.

hey that's cool. I mean i'm not sure i'd use the words 'such a great film' when describing Adventureland, but whatever.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 07-13-2010 04:54 PM

Predators last weekend.
--EPIC movie... definitely returned back to the first one in terms of raw carnage.

More Avatar the tv show

Finishing up some of my Thundercats season dvds.... man...towards the end of its run this show was struggling.

Brooklyn's Finest
--excellent cop drama by the director of Training Day.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 07-26-2010 11:27 PM

Wow.... ok

Jurassic Park 1-3 / dvd

1>2>3. Even though I must say 2 was pretty good till they left the island then it was fail. 3, well...it seemed to contrived.

THe Dark Knight / dvd
--awesome

Finished Thundercats finally.
--Man...going through season 2 was brutal.... such suckage.

Tron/ dvd
--w/e... i liked it.

Inception / theatre
--Leo is delivering good movies in spades right now.

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull/ dvd
--I liked it. Didn't quite understand all the hate it got. I did feel some scenes were "too" CGI though.

Troy / dvd
--Good drama..... Pitt was so aloof. I loved his disdain for Agamemnon.

OK....

Who is more EVIL:

MCP from Tron

OR

HAL2000 from 2001/2010 movies?

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 07-27-2010 12:43 AM

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Wow. I didn't mind the length (2 1/2 hours) as the story kept evolving. Brutal, brutal film. Not for the faint of heart. My little indie house theater gave it an NC-17 rating. Noomi Rapace absolutely killed it, what a character. Can't wait to see the rest of the trilogy. I'd like to read the books as well.

RE: The movie thread - bronco5 - 07-27-2010 12:44 AM

Inception. It really is a mind ****.

RE: The movie thread - DrTorch - 07-31-2010 08:36 PM

(07-06-2010 11:48 PM)Lush Wrote:  Your five films that we need to see: (I make an effort to view as many films as possible )

Mine

1) Moon
2) City of God
3) Waltz With Bashir (the most powerful film I've ever seen)
4) Dr. Strangelove
5) Man on Wire

Is this an all time list? (I'm not a big movie buff)

1) Stalag 17
2) West Side Story
3) 2001: A Space Odyssey
4) Citizen Kane
5) Matrix

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 07-31-2010 10:46 PM

(07-06-2010 11:48 PM)Lush Wrote:  Your five films that we need to see: (I make an effort to view as many films as possible )

Mine

1) Moon
2) City of God
4) Dr. Strangelove
5) Man on Wire

Hmmm 5 films I think OTHERS MUST SEE... **that I think most have not seen*

1) Hard Boiled
--Chow Yun Fat and John Woo at the top of their games.

2) Swimming Pool
--A mystery film noir of sorts.

3) A Better Tomorrow
--A really great drama, with good action to boot. The story of the Triad guy redeeming his life and the relation ship with his cop younger brother is really heartwarming.

4) Ong Bak
--Good story and Tony Jaa :D

5) Ghost in the Shell
--IF you at all liked the Matrix then this will show you where it got inspired from. It balances action, plot, philosophy, character depth (which gets better in the form of its 2 movie sequels and its 2 seasons of tv series), and sci fi geekness the best of any movie I have seen.

Now, of more "known" movies...

1) Aliens
--The action of it matched with all the subplots and the feeling of a real threat just make it a great movie.

2) Hero
--Jet Li delivers heart and great kung fu at the same time.

3) Glory
"nuff said"

4) Spaceballs

5) The Exorcist
--The balance of "reality" of priest doubting his faith due to personal circumstances, mother dealing with the emotional/mental state of her possessed daughter, the aging priest who has seen it all, the in-church debate about exorcisms, the inquisitive cop...it all just blends together.

Harry Potters 3-6 / dvd
--I have loved all the movies so far.

Despicable Me / theater
--This is a good "family" movie but I can only stand so much of Carrell's humor. I liked some of the jokes and they did have a good plot points to work out in the story but I did like how he developed the relationship with those adopted girls of his. Those yellow guys reeked of the green aliens from Toy Story.

RE: The movie thread - bitcruncher - 08-02-2010 08:49 PM

I'm a little more mundane in my choices...

1) Modern Times - Charlie Chaplin
2) The Groove Tube
3) The Bank D!ck - W.C. Fields
4) Dr. Strangelove - I agree, Lush
5) It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World...

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 08-02-2010 10:57 PM

Watched Young Frankenstein yesterday

RE: The movie thread - Native Georgian - 08-02-2010 11:06 PM

The Day of the Jackal (1973)

Great old-fashioned thriller

RE: The movie thread - bronco5 - 08-02-2010 11:29 PM

Fubar. Great movie.

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 08-04-2010 06:51 PM

(07-27-2010 12:43 AM)Lush Wrote:  The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Wow. I didn't mind the length (2 1/2 hours) as the story kept evolving. Brutal, brutal film. Not for the faint of heart. My little indie house theater gave it an NC-17 rating. Noomi Rapace absolutely killed it, what a character. Can't wait to see the rest of the trilogy. I'd like to read the books as well.

Saw the second part, "The Girl Who Played With Fire," at the theater the other day. This one was more fast paced. Action driven rather than character, but Noomi once again steals the show. Many stories abound, kind of cluttered a tad chaotic. More tame than "Dragon," still brutal though. This one's also about 2 1/2 hours.

RE: The movie thread - bronco5 - 08-05-2010 12:41 AM

Inception is another good movie too, seriously. Go see that ****. Worth your 8 dollars.

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 08-05-2010 02:28 AM

(08-02-2010 08:49 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I'm a little more mundane in my choices...

1) Modern Times - Charlie Chaplin
2) The Groove Tube
3) The Bank D!ck - W.C. Fields
4) Dr. Strangelove - I agree, Lush
5) It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World...

I really think you'd love "Man on Wire."

RE: The movie thread - SuperFlyBCat - 08-06-2010 11:23 AM

Mine

1) Moon
2) City of God
4) Dr. Strangelove
5) Man on Wire

So with "Moon", were both of the Sam Bell's we were introduced to Clones?
Did the original Sam Bell go back to Earth and raise his daughter? Very good movie.

RE: The movie thread - bitcruncher - 08-06-2010 02:03 PM

(08-05-2010 02:28 AM)Lush Wrote:  I really think you'd love "Man on Wire."

It's a good film. But I wouldn't put that on any need to see list...

How do you feel about "Grand Theft Parsons"? I was in California following the news reports while that was happening...

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 08-10-2010 09:22 AM

(08-06-2010 02:03 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(08-05-2010 02:28 AM)Lush Wrote:  I really think you'd love "Man on Wire."

It's a good film. But I wouldn't put that on any need to see list...

How do you feel about "Grand Theft Parsons"? I was in California following the news reports while that was happening...

Hmm, will have to check out this Grand Theft Parsons. I really think Man on Wire is fabulous, but to each his own. The dude's got a huge ego and kinda a d!ck, but his presence was very powerful. And plus it's set like a heist film. Entertaining and on the edge of your seat

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 08-10-2010 09:30 AM

(08-06-2010 11:23 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Mine

1) Moon
2) City of God
4) Dr. Strangelove
5) Man on Wire

So with "Moon", were both of the Sam Bell's we were introduced to Clones?
Did the original Sam Bell go back to Earth and raise his daughter? Very good movie.

**spoiler** Wouldn't the original Sam Bell have been on Earth the whole time and been part of the clone conspiracy? But then there was that phone call. It's been a minute since I've seen it, so I don't know how the conversation went. That's what makes this film for me so fascinating. I've never had so many questions and talked with as many people about a film as this. And it's the directorial debut of David Bowie's son.