CSNbbs
The movie thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: The movie thread (/thread-433700.html)

RE: The movie thread - Smaug - 02-02-2015 08:58 AM

(01-14-2015 09:36 AM)gdunn Wrote:  The thing I wonder at the end of "The Departed".. Was Walburgh's character corrupt and seeking revenge for the mob boss or was he seeking revenge for his slain boss at the State Police?

Revenge. No special insight, just the way I saw it.

RE: The movie thread - Smaug - 02-02-2015 09:11 AM

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (DVD 1966) Don Knotts and the fetching Joan Staley

Cute, silly ghost story, kid friendly. Imagine Barney Fife as a wannabe small town reporter investigating a haunted house. He drives an Edsel.

If you like the Andy Griffith Show, this is right up your alley.

RE: The movie thread - CliftonAve - 02-02-2015 04:28 PM

(02-02-2015 09:11 AM)Smaug Wrote:  The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (DVD 1966) Don Knotts and the fetching Joan Staley

Cute, silly ghost story, kid friendly. Imagine Barney Fife as a wannabe small town reporter investigating a haunted house. He drives an Edsel.

If you like the Andy Griffith Show, this is right up your alley.

That was Don Knotts character in nearly every movie he made: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, the Reluctant Astronaut, the Shakiest Gun in the West and then later in The Apple Dumpling Gang, the Prize Fighter and No Deposit, No Return.

The one movie where he took on a different role was his first film, No Time for Sargeants (also co-starring Andy Griffith). In "No Time for Sargeants" he played the "straight" character to Andy's comedic role.

If you are a fan of Andy Griffith and Don Knotts I highly recommend "No Time For Sargeants". Griffith plays a country bumpkin who gets drafted in the Air Force. The rub of the movie is that the hayseed may or may not be smarter than he looks.

RE: The movie thread - Smaug - 02-02-2015 07:42 PM

That predates the AGS, doesn't it?

RE: The movie thread - Smaug - 02-02-2015 07:46 PM

BTW, I googled Joan Staley and found this:

http://www.tipiti.info/wp-content/uploads/1958.-Joan-Staley-p841-430x650.jpg

PS, There's a reason I linked the picture instead of posting it. Apparently she was a Playmate of the Month in 1958.

Luther Heggs clearly outkicked his coverage.

RE: The movie thread - DaSaintFan - 02-03-2015 09:24 AM

(02-02-2015 04:28 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  The one movie where he took on a different role was his first film, No Time for Sargeants (also co-starring Andy Griffith). In "No Time for Sargeants" he played the "straight" character to Andy's comedic role.

If you are a fan of Andy Griffith and Don Knotts I highly recommend "No Time For Sargeants". Griffith plays a country bumpkin who gets drafted in the Air Force. The rub of the movie is that the hayseed may or may not be smarter than he looks.

Even if you're not a fan of DK/AG... the saluting latrine scene makes this movie TOTALLY worth it.

But AG basically admitted that the reason he and DK agreed to work together on the TV show was because of No Time for Sergeants. He even said they had a chemistry that was why Don Knotts was the only person he WANTED to work with for the Andy Griffith Show.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 02-03-2015 04:47 PM

Avengers Assemble (2013) / NetFlix
--Almost as good as the other Avengers cartoon I had watched a while back. Only thing that irks me about it is they seem too focused on Falcon and they dropped Ant Man and Wasp so far... The villain mix has been heavily Captain America related for the most part.

RE: The movie thread - gdunn - 02-03-2015 05:04 PM

(02-03-2015 04:47 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Avengers Assemble (2013) / NetFlix
--Almost as good as the other Avengers cartoon I had watched a while back. Only thing that irks me about it is they seem too focused on and they dropped Ant Man and Wasp so far...

What are they focused on?

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 02-03-2015 07:44 PM

(02-03-2015 05:04 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 04:47 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Avengers Assemble (2013) / NetFlix
--Almost as good as the other Avengers cartoon I had watched a while back. Only thing that irks me about it is they seem too focused on and they dropped Ant Man and Wasp so far...

What are they focused on?

Didn't realize the "Falcon" got dropped till later on.

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 02-05-2015 02:24 PM

(01-08-2015 02:49 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  For the love of god........go see the imitation game.

One of the best movies I've ever seen, both because of the acting and the heartbreaking true story.

Truly a tale that deserved to be told.

saw it the other night. one of the few films the lady and i can agree on. benedict cumberbatch still strikes me as a douche, but he's a helluva actor. with a film like this, to find faults is merely nitpicking. great watch. this coming out at the same time as the theory of everything reminds me of (maybe in aught '10) when an education, a serious man, and a single man all came out. all awesome movies

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 02-10-2015 12:46 AM

I, Frankenstein / NF
--Not bad in terms of story...but the movie felt like it was missing something... not sure what... I felt the older Van Helsing had a little more "heart" into it. The Gargoyle angle and the ascending/descending of demons and angels made for interesting additions.

Sabotge/NF
--Probably one of the best post Governator Schwarzenegger movies. Interesting tale of a DEA team that gets punked out on a job and then has to answer for what happened, only to be reformed to go after who is taking down their team. They play an interesting angle for Arnold on the love story side of things with the civilian cop who is looking into the murders of his team.

Shooter/NF
--Cool Wahlberg movie about a super sniper who retires after a bad mission only to be drawn back in with folks playing to his patriotic sensibilities. The pretty unique way in which the story evolves about the "who done it" angle makes it a pretty good flick. Wahlbert shows off his survival skills and what not.

Hulk and the Agents of SMASH/ NF
--Not bad with some origin stories tied in to ABomb, She Hulk, Skaar, and Red Hulk. Once I got into the "webisode" episode set up and the Seth Green (Abomb) humor I got more into the series.

RE: The movie thread - gdunn - 02-10-2015 01:50 PM

John Wick- DVD Rental- Ok if you're looking for a deep plot and constant twist and turns.. Don't watch this. If you want a story that goes from A to B with some awesome action, this is it. I enjoyed the movie, I mean don't look for Oscar worthy acting, but again I enjoyed it.

The Judge- PPV- We got a free PPV from Dish and this is what we chose, and we made a good choice. Robert Duval as always delivers. Robert Downey, Jr plays one of his best roles I've seen in awhile (I mean the first Iron Man was awesome and then he lost something IMHO). However, to me he gave a hell of a performance. The story is good. The dynamics between Downey and Duval and throwing in Billy Bob Thorton playing an attorney hell bent on a conviction along with Vincent D'Onofrio playing Downey's brother. It was just hard to beat. I hit the record button and will be watching it again.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 02-14-2015 01:21 AM

50 shades of gray/theater
--w/o spoilers it was like 8mm + basic instinct in a weird kind of s&m way. I found the "relationship" ties both ways interesting.

RE: The movie thread - CliftonAve - 02-14-2015 06:40 PM

I saw Kingsman: Secret Service and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great action scenes and clever dialogue. Sort of a hybrid of a James Bond flick and Kick-Ass.

RE: The movie thread - HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine - 02-15-2015 10:21 AM

I have been watching a lot of obscure movies for my Film Studies class. I am willing to share my opinions if anyone is interested.

RE: The movie thread - BamaScorpio69 - 02-15-2015 08:17 PM

(02-14-2015 06:40 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I saw Kingsman: Secret Service and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great action scenes and clever dialogue. Sort of a hybrid of a James Bond flick and Kick-Ass.

Love it! Great comparison regarding those two movies.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 02-15-2015 09:18 PM

(02-15-2015 08:17 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(02-14-2015 06:40 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I saw Kingsman: Secret Service and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great action scenes and clever dialogue. Sort of a hybrid of a James Bond flick and Kick-Ass.

How close is it to say another spoof in Johnny English?

RE: The movie thread - BamaScorpio69 - 02-15-2015 11:49 PM

(02-15-2015 09:18 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(02-15-2015 08:17 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  

How close is it to say another spoof in Johnny English?

It's not close to a spoof at all. Like we said, Bond and Kick Ass combined.

RE: The movie thread - BamaScorpio69 - 02-15-2015 11:52 PM

John Wick is a very good action flick.

RE: The movie thread - Smaug - 02-16-2015 05:52 PM

(02-15-2015 10:21 AM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  I have been watching a lot of obscure movies for my Film Studies class. I am willing to share my opinions if anyone is interested.

Sure, man. Whatcha got?