CSNbbs
The movie thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: The movie thread (/thread-433700.html)

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 06-30-2010 08:15 PM

(06-30-2010 10:47 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(06-29-2010 06:58 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  The Matrix/dvd
--Such a great movie to start a trilogy...too bad 2 and 3 never lived up to the first one. Granted I liked 2 ok...but 3..with how they reasoned out the end really bugged me

maybe i'm weird, but i thought 2 and 3 were much cooler than the first. the first one kinda weak to me. But i think all the flying and cool powers neo got in the latter two, were more fun to watch

I did like the action in 2 but it felt like a half movie. I also liked the fact that they get more into the real world vs. "matrix" world in it... and I would say Neo gained powers he just learned how to master the Matrix better.

3 had its moments but the end, specifically The Architect's speech on the how/why of the Matrix and Neo/Agent Smith's place in it all.... just really ticked me off.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 06-30-2010 11:09 PM

Traitor / NF Stream
--Don Cheadle pulls off another quality movie. Lots of intrigue.... best way to give story is an American (Cheadle) is in the middle east mixing in with the locals and becomes a trusted terrorist who ends up getting recruited to do some major strikes in America... The who's, what's, persona; values, and allegiances all come into play over the course of the movie.

RE: The movie thread - RaiderATO - 07-01-2010 06:39 AM

Watched Adventureland . . . . and I'm with Lush when it comes to Stewart. I haven't seen any Twilight movie, though.

RE: The movie thread - flyingswoosh - 07-01-2010 07:18 AM

(07-01-2010 06:39 AM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  Watched Adventureland . . . . and I'm with Lush when it comes to Stewart. I haven't seen any Twilight movie, though.

maybe i need to watch it again, because i see very limited skills when i watch her

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 07-02-2010 12:55 AM

Bubba Ho-Tep. Absurd and fantastic. Aged and forgotten, the real Elvis Presley and JFK combine forces to defeat a wayward mummy who's hell bent on stealing the souls from their old folks home.

The Big White. A dark comedy starring Robin Williams, Woody Harrleson, Giovanni Ribisi, and Holly Hunter. Maybe a bit too Fargo, but outstanding nonetheless. The humor isn't as morbid as Fargo. A man (Williams) tries to collect on his missing brother's life insurance policy to help pay his wife's medical bills which are bankrupting him and his travel agency. The insurance agent (Ribisi), who wants nothing more than to flee Alaska, informs him that his brother needs to be missing for seven years, not five. Then Williams finds a body in the dumpster.....Fun and mayhem ensue.

Book of Eli More of a Wild West pic, than post-apocalyptic, imo. But maybe they're one in the same. Could have delved deeper into why society was the way it was. Though I loved when Eli said, "people threw away then what we require today." That was probably a paraphrase. Eli's 30 years wandering made perfect sense with the awesome ending. Mila Kunis still sucks. Some parts were monotonous and other parts were, "why is Mila Kunis in this film, she sucks." Loved the Tom Waits cameo. I like the Hughes Bros.

The Messenger. Seems we're bombarded with Iraq II films recently. This one is perhaps the most personable. The under looked Ben Foster is quite authentic as is his superior, mentor, and ultimately friend Woody Harrleson. Their job is to inform the next of kin that their beloved has died in combat. Though the film dealt less with that than Ben and Woody's relationship and Ben's feelings towards a girl he delivered the message to. And then the film abruptly ended. Not sure why this was so highly regarded.

RE: The movie thread - DrTorch - 07-02-2010 09:25 AM

(06-29-2010 06:58 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  The Matrix/dvd
--Such a great movie to start a trilogy...too bad 2 and 3 never lived up to the first one. Granted I liked 2 ok...but 3..with how they reasoned out the end really bugged me

The first one was great. Greatest Sci Fi movie ever made. A storyline that left you scratching your head for the first 25 minutes, then they brought it ALL into a cohesive, well-told story. The effect added to the movie perfectly. I haven't seen 3, but 2 was quickly sliding into absurdity.

Saw Gran Torino last nite on HBO. Damn fine movie. Heartily recommend it. Clint is clearly one of the all time greats. I don't think there is anyone around that take his place.

Also saw Alice in Wonderland on the plane. Decently told story. Too bad Burton is trying to make a man out of a woman. It's like he's channeling Quentin Tarintino for this plot. Not the worst by far when you consider...

I stopped watching two other movies on the plane b/c they were so f'n bad. Date Night was terrible. Tina Fey actually makes fun of Palin? Please, she might want to spend some time actually learning how to act before she criticizes anyone else's job performance.

I also started Diary of a Wimpy Kid (the selections were terrible) and the first 10 minutes lived down to every lame expectation you might have.

RE: The movie thread - bitcruncher - 07-02-2010 09:33 AM

(07-02-2010 09:25 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  Saw Gran Torino last nite on HBO. Damn fine movie. Clint is clearly one of the all time greats. I don't think there is anyone around that take his place.
I'm surprised the censors didn't get all over Eastwood for this film in the name of political correctness. But it was an excellent film with a well written story containing a unique plot. That's very unusual for Hollywood these days...

RE: The movie thread - DrTorch - 07-02-2010 10:30 AM

(07-02-2010 09:33 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(07-02-2010 09:25 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  Saw Gran Torino last nite on HBO. Damn fine movie. Clint is clearly one of the all time greats. I don't think there is anyone around that take his place.
I'm surprised the censors didn't get all over Eastwood for this film in the name of political correctness. But it was an excellent film with a well written story containing a unique plot. That's very unusual for Hollywood these days...

Unique plot? It's a standard messiah story.

RE: The movie thread - flyingswoosh - 07-02-2010 11:09 AM

(07-02-2010 10:30 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

every story is standard in some way. a plot is different from the basic, underlying story

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 07-02-2010 03:19 PM

(07-02-2010 11:09 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

every story is standard in some way. a plot is different from the basic, underlying story

Messiah story? Don't quite buy that but I have to admit it was very abrasive in certain parts. Eastwood conjured his inner Dirty Harry back in that movie. My favorite scene is when he rides beside the couple and calls out here boyfriend then calls out those gangster kids.

RE: The movie thread - bitcruncher - 07-02-2010 06:47 PM

The salvation of the kid whose first introduction to his savior was an attempted theft, and having the man becoming revered by the very people he started out hating isn't your usual Hollywood fare...

RE: The movie thread - jh - 07-03-2010 04:57 AM

(07-02-2010 12:55 AM)Lush Wrote:  Bubba Ho-Tep. Absurd and fantastic. Aged and forgotten, the real Elvis Presley and JFK combine forces to defeat a wayward mummy who's hell bent on stealing the souls from their old folks home.

Loved this one.

RE: The movie thread - DrTorch - 07-03-2010 11:54 AM

(07-02-2010 03:19 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Messiah story? Don't quite buy that

All I can say is, "Wow".

This wasn't subtle. This was overt.

Your lit and film professors owe you your money back.

RE: The movie thread - flyingswoosh - 07-04-2010 12:00 AM

(07-03-2010 11:54 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

All I can say is, "Wow".

i agree it was a messiah story and a pretty obvious one, but so what? It's very rare to find a movie that doesn't have a familiar, underlying story. I can think of 3 humphrey bogart movies that had familiar underlying stories; african queen, treasure of sierra madre and casablanca. two of those have the typical reluctant messiah story that he was famous for.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 07-04-2010 10:44 PM

(07-04-2010 12:00 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(07-03-2010 11:54 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  

All I can say is, "Wow".

i agree it was a messiah story and a pretty obvious one, but so what? It's very rare to find a movie that doesn't have a familiar, underlying story. I can think of 3 humphrey bogart movies that had familiar underlying stories; african queen, treasure of sierra madre and casablanca. two of those have the typical reluctant messiah story that he was famous for.

HOW is Gran Torino a messiah story?

Finished off my Matrix Trilogy along with Animatrix.

Man, the reasoning out of the story in 3 is still jacked up IMO. And, the more I think about how the Architect talked about the whole setup and then they get into all this programs, really in the matrix...ect.... ehhhh.... I don't think they brought the story around like they should have.

Animatrix, a really great addition to the mythos IMO. I liked all the stories they told in it.

The Last Airbender
--Liked the tv show a lot so saw the movie. I didn't understand the hate it got in the reviews but my own personal beef with the movie was how they jumped scenes. I think a director's cut or just lengthening the movie period could have taken care of that. They did a pretty good job with the casting.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 07-06-2010 12:43 AM

Predator and Predator 2.

What I don't get is how can you have Predator, one of the most bad ass action movies of all time, take such a huge step downward in awesomeness with Predator 2. It wasn't even a victim of the casting... I mean it would be hard to beat Ahnuld, Apollo Creed ( 03-razz ), The Body,.... Even still... the ball was dropped.

RE: The movie thread - DrTorch - 07-06-2010 02:03 PM

(07-04-2010 10:44 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  HOW is Gran Torino a messiah story?

Let's see. Powerful, self-reliant Walter saves weak neigbors from gang activity. Walter rejects their gratitude and overtures requesting more aid, b/c he wants to be left alone (thus the main plot).

However, he rescues the girl again, and begins to open up to their hospitality. He then sees Tao struggling to be ushered into manhood.

He reaches out to the family, and his neighborhood, discipling them, and empowering them to become self-reliant.

When violence strikes, he once again comes to the rescue.

When the violence escalates, and he sees that his disciples will be overwhelmed and harmed, he sacrifices himself to bring final conclusion to this episode. Notice he gives them a bendiction before and after he leaves, an exhortation to continue on w/ their own self-sufficiency.

The Christian parallels are not subtle or hidden:
Walter knows his ethos. He does not compromise nor does he apologize for it.

Walter recognizes evil exists, and he will confront it.

Walter treats everybody equally. He expects people to follow the Golden Rule, and he raises his esteem of others who do so.

Walter understands and practices repentance and forgiveness.

Walter understands the need for purpose for people, and he acknowledged that discipleship is necessary to instill and develop it.

Walter was willing to sacrifice himself so that others might live.

The deliberate religious elements within the story are handled well, they are intellectually mature. They reflect, and thus add to, the story line, they don't contradict it.

RE: The movie thread - flyingswoosh - 07-06-2010 04:13 PM

(07-06-2010 02:03 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(07-04-2010 10:44 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  HOW is Gran Torino a messiah story?

Let's see. Powerful, self-reliant Walter saves weak neigbors from gang activity. Walter rejects their gratitude and overtures requesting more aid, b/c he wants to be left alone (thus the main plot).

However, he rescues the girl again, and begins to open up to their hospitality. He then sees Tao struggling to be ushered into manhood.

He reaches out to the family, and his neighborhood, discipling them, and empowering them to become self-reliant.

When violence strikes, he once again comes to the rescue.

When the violence escalates, and he sees that his disciples will be overwhelmed and harmed, he sacrifices himself to bring final conclusion to this episode. Notice he gives them a bendiction before and after he leaves, an exhortation to continue on w/ their own self-sufficiency.

The Christian parallels are not subtle or hidden:
Walter knows his ethos. He does not compromise nor does he apologize for it.

Walter recognizes evil exists, and he will confront it.

Walter treats everybody equally. He expects people to follow the Golden Rule, and he raises his esteem of others who do so.

Walter understands and practices repentance and forgiveness.

Walter understands the need for purpose for people, and he acknowledged that discipleship is necessary to instill and develop it.

Walter was willing to sacrifice himself so that others might live.

The deliberate religious elements within the story are handled well, they are intellectually mature. They reflect, and thus add to, the story line, they don't contradict it.

what he said

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 07-06-2010 09:16 PM

Not saying you guys didn't back up your opinion but I would consider a messiah as a person who is foretold to assist a troubled people with possible divine intervention to get him to the people and/or get people to believe in him. And I would doubt any messiah would down people like Clint's character did to almost everyone in the movie sans his himself. I agree that he had a change of heart once he finally warmed up to his neighbors and the aiding of the young Asian guy helped him recover some of his long forgotten compassion for others.

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 07-06-2010 11:48 PM

Your five films that we need to see: (I make an effort to view as many films as possible )

Mine

1) Moon
2) City of God
3) Waltz With Bashir (the most powerful film I've ever seen)
4) Dr. Strangelove
5) Man on Wire