CSNbbs
An Economic Rap - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: An Economic Rap (/thread-416155.html)

An Economic Rap - gsloth - 01-27-2010 10:02 PM

Pretty well done, I must say. Add it to ECON 101 (or was it 201 that was the intro course? I cannot remember now).

RE: An Economic Rap - Northern Va. Owl - 01-28-2010 08:35 AM

I thought it very well done, also. Russ Roberts is a professor at George Mason University, and must be a very creative teacher to come up with the idea. My economics classes at Rice used to regularly find me falling asleep in my seat.

RE: An Economic Rap - Baconator - 01-28-2010 02:23 PM

When I first saw the video I was surprised at that (a) it had Hayek and not Milton Friedman defending the free market; and (b) it so accurately described the Austrian Theory of the Business Cycle (which most TV pundits, politicians and "mainstream" economists are guilty of). All of it made sense when I learned that it was written by a professor from George Mason, which has a very free market oriented economics department, including a number of professors associated with the Austrian school.

Bottom line though, whether you're a Keynesian or an Austrian (sorry Monetarists) you have to like this video! I agree with NoVA...slept through 3 years of econ classes at Rice.

RE: An Economic Rap - emmiesix - 02-02-2010 11:45 AM

(01-28-2010 02:23 PM)Sleepy Owl Wrote:  Bottom line though, whether you're a Keynesian or an Austrian (sorry Monetarists) you have to like this video! I agree with NoVA...slept through 3 years of econ classes at Rice.

worse, I slept through an econ TEST at Rice...

RE: An Economic Rap - Baconator - 02-02-2010 07:52 PM

(02-02-2010 11:45 AM)emmiesix Wrote:  
(01-28-2010 02:23 PM)Sleepy Owl Wrote:  Bottom line though, whether you're a Keynesian or an Austrian (sorry Monetarists) you have to like this video! I agree with NoVA...slept through 3 years of econ classes at Rice.

worse, I slept through an econ TEST at Rice...

Ha! I bet you still passed though...

RE: An Economic Rap - gsloth - 05-12-2011 10:34 PM

Well, they're back again with another video.

And here's some more backstory on the 2 minds behind these videos.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-state-of-nova/post/gmu-prof-helps-create-viral-rap-videos--about-economics/2011/05/11/AFruUquG_blog.html

RE: An Economic Rap - Baconator - 05-13-2011 01:34 PM

I think the second one is even better than the first.

RE: An Economic Rap - georgewebb - 05-14-2011 08:39 AM

Gotta love it:

"If you've been living high on that cheap credit hog
Don't look for a cure the hair of the dog"

RE: An Economic Rap - georgewebb - 05-14-2011 08:39 AM

Gotta love it:

"If you've been living high on that cheap credit hog
Don't look for a cure the hair of the dog"

RE: An Economic Rap - Baconator - 05-15-2011 11:56 AM

Here are the full lyrics with hyperlinks to some relevant supporting material:
http://blog.mises.org/16752/hyperlinked-lyrics-for-the-second-keyneshayek-rap/

I love the attention to detail by the writers/producers. Anybody notice who Keynes and Hayek had in their corner during the boxing match? Keynes: Thomas Malthus and John Hicks. Hayek: J.B. Say and Ludwig von Mises.

RE: An Economic Rap - georgewebb - 05-15-2011 06:01 PM

(05-15-2011 11:56 AM)Sleepy Owl Wrote:  Here are the full lyrics with hyperlinks to some relevant supporting material:
http://blog.mises.org/16752/hyperlinked-lyrics-for-the-second-keyneshayek-rap/

I love the attention to detail by the writers/producers. Anybody notice who Keynes and Hayek had in their corner during the boxing match? Keynes: Thomas Malthus and John Hicks. Hayek: J.B. Say and Ludwig von Mises.

Attention to detail, and a nice dig too, as probably no one in the history of economics has been discredited more thoroughly than Malthus.