CSNbbs
Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+----- Thread: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? (/thread-400720.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - PittsburghBucs - 11-18-2009 03:23 AM

The recent wishful thinking on this board got me to thinking-

Are we at a point right now that we are READY to have Dr. Paul Stanton leave?

For years the hope has been Dr. Paul Stanton would leave, a new President come in, and- Voila!- ETSU would be okay.

University High will get a new building. Professors will start making more money. The University will have a different direction than "Medical School first and everything else fifth" and, of course, football will be reinstated.

Here's the problem I see with that. Unless the new Prez has a vision for improving athletics, the way, say, Florida International's President demanded his program have Division FBS/Division I-A football, Stanton has laid out a plan for athletics that would seemingly be hard to reverse.

Furthermore, there is probably as much of a chance that a hypothetical President would be in favor of dropping all sports to Division III as there is he/she would like to see ETSU become the next Marshall or South Florida.

The problem is Stanton and Mullins have laid out a plan for their vision of ETSU sports. And it is a plan that not only doesn't have football, but really is geared to have ETSU stay in the A-Sun.

The facilities being built are to stay competitive in the A-Sun, not for what is best for the community (which would be to have a football program providing scholarships for local kids instead of an obscenely funded golf program for Eurpoeans and having an arena to make the area more cosmopolitan). The A-Sun does not have football and does not rank highly in basketball. It is at its most competitive in baseball and softball with its Florida schools and, while the teams aren't all that good, they also require soccer.

Look at what facilities ETSU are building.

Then there's Mullins. The path ETSU athletics have taken are exactly what I feared, the path of a tennis coach almost thinking "Well, now that I AM IN CHARGE, we'll show 'em that this non-spectator sport is just as important as anything else!"

And we get that on here, with the posters, presumably plants from the athletic department, saying that "A college moves to a larger conference because of its ENTIRE athletic program," a statement that isn't even remotely true.

But if you're a new President, do you say "NO! NO! NO! This is all wrong!" or do you realize the entire athletic department has bought in to this?

I do think the first step of enlightenment has happened with the Dr. Larimore presentation.

But it's going to take more than that, and I'm not sure if a new President was hired tomorrow he could make the changes necessary to make ETSU what we want it to be athletically, even if he shared that vision.

What has to happen is more of a public demand. Thankfully, we have it here, but is that enough?

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - Goldfinger - 11-18-2009 03:49 AM

That's depressing. By the way why isn't the Dr. Larimore presentation online? Or is it?

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - PittsburghBucs - 11-18-2009 04:14 AM

Let me make a few calls and see what's up with that.

I don't mean to be depressing. I mean to try and rile things up.

Here's the deal. We talk about how divided the fan base at ETSU is. I don't know if the fan base IS divided.

If you ever hear Rush Limbaugh, you hear him talk about "seminar callers" who are plants from a left-wing organization designed to call in and refute his points on his show.

Sounds rather presumptous, but there are clearly "seminar posters" on here, and have been for a long time. Witness how GoBucsGo hasn't posted since I asked him what his relationship was to the men's soccer team.

We have had people from the SID office post on here. Eventually they give up, realizing propaganda can't compete with the truth.

Where I'm going with this is while it WILL take a lot for the environment to change at ETSU, we've got to have a realization that just hoping for a new President to wave a magic wand isn't going to do it.

The public has to demand it.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - Goldfinger - 11-18-2009 04:22 AM

There are definitely "seminar posters" here. There can be no doubt about that. GoBucsGo is one of them for sure.

A Divided fan base might not have been the proper term. I think the whole fan base wants football back and wants out of the A-sun. Some of the fanbase happens to be very vocal about it while some bury their heads in the sand and refuse to say anything b/c they believe it is "counterproductive".

Of those who feel it is "counterproductive"...I'm not sure I know how to break through that philosophy.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - PittsburghBucs - 11-18-2009 05:25 AM

Actually, I think those who speak of counterproductivity have no idea what they are talking about.

We're getting off the point, but back when Tim Smith was a freshman I said something to the effect of "make sure you stay on him, he'll get the message."

Oh, I was lambasted! Admittedly the group of posters we had then probably wasn't as strong as it is now (though I miss LP), but I was told this board had no influence (HA!), that I was just being mean, etc.

This was back when the local media was fawning over Tim Smith and saying he would potentially leave ETSU early for the NBA Draft, which from the start I said was preposterous.

But consider, if Tim Smith had been criticized more for his selfishness and shot selection at the end of the Wake Forest game, would he have DUPLICATED such a boneheaded move the very next year in the waning seconds against Cincinnati?

Or if Smith had been criticized after that, would the next two years have been plagued so much by his selfish play?

So don't tell me you or I or any of the others are being counterproductive on here. "Overwhelming [Tim Smith] with positive energy" didn't exactly work, did it?

As to reversing this mindset, this board is the first step.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - LetsgoBucs - 11-18-2009 07:53 AM

Amusing. If they disagree with your own narrow vision of what ETSU athletics should be (a good men's basketball team and a mediocre football team) then they are an athletic dept plant? Wow, what paranoia.

What will move this school into a better conference is a larger budget. We have a budget in the 7 millions. People on here have mentioned Conference USA. That's laughable.

This board has influence? Clearly, since you're all so happy with the administration listening to all of your suggestions...

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - Basketball then Homework - 11-18-2009 11:19 AM

I think that Dick Vitale would make an excellent president for ETSU.

"We're getting football back, BABY!!"
"Say good by to Mullins, Wam Bam Bam a bottle of jam, your out of here, Baby."

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - BucNut22 - 11-18-2009 04:18 PM

(11-18-2009 07:53 AM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  What will move this school into a better conference is a larger budget.
A larger budget by itself won't move ETSU anywhere. If a larger budget allows for better basketball facilities and the reinstatement of the football them THEN we can actually make a move.

I ask you this, what is the incentive for a better conference(and by better I don't mean the OVC) to take ETSU in its current condition? What's in it for them? What do they gain?

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - PittsburghBucs - 11-18-2009 05:54 PM

Conference USA is so laughable ETSU tried to get in that conference when they dropped football.

That's actually why the new facilities went up, because Conference USA laughed at what they saw.

Of course, Stanton being Stanton and Mullins being Mullins, they decided to put the new facilities up in reverse, but I digress.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - NorthEastTennesseeTiger - 11-18-2009 06:40 PM

Conference USA is more of a football conference, IMHO. Basketball for the most part sucks. ETSU didn't have the facilities in any sport to get into conference usa.

ETSU will never, in my lifetime, have enough support for football to be even mediocre. Memphis' athletic budget is around 30 million and they aren't getting it done in football.

If ETSU were to reinstate football, the school may get back into a conference like the SoCon, but it will doom the school to failure in everything else.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - bucfan81 - 11-18-2009 07:44 PM

Basketball and baseball have actually gone DOWN since dropping football. The team almost competed with a manpower depletd UTC team and that is considered "taking it to the next level" which Mullins indicated when he killed football. It's at the next level all right.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - Buccaneerlover - 11-18-2009 08:17 PM

Hey doom and gloom for all. MTSU is GETTING IT DONE, WHY ISN'T MEMPHIS and why can't ETSU? Memphis has more resources, bigger city, more exposure, better selection of athletes in West Tennessee than in the middle/east end of the state. Memphis isn't winning in football because of inferior facilities and a moron A.D.
As for basketball in C-USA, there's talk that Tulsa and Houston both are going to give the Tigers a run this year in conference play.
ETSU can easily get the support to be successful at the FCS level in football in my time. There are just too many schools out there getting it done with smaller enrollments, smaller towns, and too much competition. Look at Troy and UAB. They compete against Alabama and Auburn for fans, support, and money, yet they are getting it done.
That garbage, negative "aww we can't do that and we'll never do this" downtrodden HORSE SH!t MENTALITY is a joke! Do you work for Stanton or Dave Mullins?
Oh and by the way, what will it sacrifice? A mid pack finish in men's communist kickball? a 9-16 record in volleyball? How about ANOTHER LOSING SEASON in women's communist kickball? What's it really going to affect? We're only good in golf, tennis and basketball. The other programs are complete crap!

(11-18-2009 06:40 PM)NorthEastTennesseeTiger Wrote:  Conference USA is more of a football conference, IMHO. Basketball for the most part sucks. ETSU didn't have the facilities in any sport to get into conference usa.

ETSU will never, in my lifetime, have enough support for football to be even mediocre. Memphis' athletic budget is around 30 million and they aren't getting it done in football.

If ETSU were to reinstate football, the school may get back into a conference like the SoCon, but it will doom the school to failure in everything else.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - GoBucsGo - 11-18-2009 10:49 PM

Hey Pitt,
Why is it when anyone gives you crap, riles things up on this board, you think it's a member of the admin, or as is this time, RELATED TO THE SOCCER TEAM??? This is truly fantastic. Forget the Prozac! You need an antipsychotic to stop the voices.

Am I related to the men's soccer coach (who I would have to look up to even name)? Sure.

I said this like 1,000 times: I congratulated the frickin' soccer team for a frickin' win. Why did I do that? To piss you off, in part, and to demonstrate that I actually root for all ETSU sports -- not just one that doesn't currently exist.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - Goldfinger - 11-18-2009 11:36 PM

Do you deny working, in some capacity or another, for ETSU?

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - PittsburghBucs - 11-19-2009 01:31 AM

Well Go, here's the deal.

I don't get riled up. I rile people up. That's why I've been so successful here for nine years or so.

Second, I've been successful enough for coaches, administrators, players, etc. to post on here.

It's not me who is all defensive about a 6-9-3 record.

Nor is it I who calls the sport names.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - PittsburghBucs - 11-19-2009 01:33 AM

Oh, and Lover, right spot on the money.

He says Memphis' budget was $30 million and that's not enough to compete in football.

The last time I looked Pitt's budget was $33 million. They do pretty well in both hoops and football- with both teams making the Top 10 the last time I looked.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - GoBucsGo - 11-19-2009 08:40 AM

Gold - Why does that matter and why should I tell you?

Pitt - you get riled up. How about the 3 million rants you have had on here?

Look - I'm a FAN. A fan of the athletic program. I go to men's basketball games, an occasional women's game, and I follow the cross country & track programs because I'm a former/current runner that admittedly was so pathetic I couldn't make varsity at a high level D-1 program. I'm a casual fan of the rest of the programs and am always interested in how the women's tennis team 'looks' this year.

That's really about it. But if you want to make me part of the 'machine,' or the 'man' or whatever, that's your business. Have a great day!

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - PittsburghBucs - 11-19-2009 10:34 AM

Well, because if you do work for ETSU, you're not a FAN.

You're an employee. Duh.

Are the people in the ETSU athletic administration so dumb they don't know the difference?

Furthermore, what does it say that ETSU types are going on this board as "seminar posters" and trying to spam?

It either shows I have created a community with tremendous influence (shoulda been nicer to me, boys!) or that they are paranoid.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - GoBucsGo - 11-19-2009 01:17 PM

Oh, so you can't work @ ETSU and be a fan? Didn't know those two things are mutually exclusive. So if you somehow became an employee for the Steelers you would forsake your fan-dom for the Steelers? If so, interesting.

I'm an 'ETSU type'? What does that mean? Also, what does 'seminar poster' mean? You're so complex, I just don't get these message board etiquette thingys.

RE: Are we ready for Paul Stanton to leave? - Goldfinger - 11-19-2009 02:52 PM

(11-19-2009 08:40 AM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  Gold - Why does that matter and why should I tell you?

Why shouldn't you? Two can play this game.