CSNbbs
Global sea ice - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Global sea ice (/thread-365385.html)

Pages: 1 2

Global sea ice - DrTorch - 04-17-2009 01:28 PM

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/global.daily.ice.area.withtrend.jpg

[Image: global.daily.ice.area.withtrend.jpg]

RE: Global sea ice - Lord Stanley - 04-17-2009 02:06 PM

Surely pictures of stranded polar bears on melting ice prove your chart wrong, no?

RE: Global sea ice - GrayBeard - 04-17-2009 02:08 PM

(04-17-2009 02:06 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Surely pictures of stranded polar bears on melting ice prove your chart wrong, no?

Surely recent snow in Vegas proves that the Earth is cooling, no?

RE: Global sea ice - SumOfAllFears - 04-17-2009 02:32 PM

(04-17-2009 02:08 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  
(04-17-2009 02:06 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Surely pictures of stranded polar bears on melting ice prove your chart wrong, no?

Surely TODAY a severe spring snowstorm in Denver putting 18 inches + proves that the really Earth is cooling, or Earth just wanted to extending the ski season?

RE: Global sea ice - DrTorch - 04-17-2009 02:45 PM

(04-17-2009 02:32 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  
(04-17-2009 02:08 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  

Surely TODAY a severe spring snowstorm in Denver putting 18 inches + proves that the really Earth is cooling, or Earth just wanted to extending the ski season?

Right over NCAR. Sweet! Of course I'm sure those guys all knew it was coming.

RE: Global sea ice - Paul M - 04-17-2009 08:13 PM

Come on Torch, you know global warming isn't going to stop until it covers us in a million feet of ice.

RE: Global sea ice - RobertN - 04-18-2009 04:54 AM

(04-17-2009 08:13 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Come on Torch, you know global warming isn't going to stop until it covers us in a million feet of ice.
I don't think any of you wing nuts will ever understand global warming until you start using your brain. Problem is, the brain seem to be missing. 05-stirthepot

RE: Global sea ice - jh - 04-18-2009 09:05 AM

According to the chart, the three (possibly four) lowest levels of sea ice have all happened since 2004. The highest levels were all before 1995. As a general rule, it appears that the peaks are getting shorter and the valleys deeper. It's a short term chart, but it does look like the global levels of sea ice are actually slowly declining.

RE: Global sea ice - ETSUfan1 - 04-18-2009 01:37 PM

Must be those millions of cars and thousands of factories that sprung up after 1995.

RE: Global sea ice - Paul M - 04-18-2009 01:38 PM

(04-18-2009 04:54 AM)RobertN Wrote:  
(04-17-2009 08:13 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Come on Torch, you know global warming isn't going to stop until it covers us in a million feet of ice.
I don't think any of you wing nuts will ever understand global warming until you start using your brain. Problem is, the brain seem to be missing. 05-stirthepot

I did a little experiment this morning. I went about it in a completely open-minded fashion. I was objective, took extensive notes, and asked several neighbors to witness. I have to say in all honesty, I was not surprised by the results.

The experiment: to see if a rock could give a more intelligent discussion than you.

Conclusion: yes.

RE: Global sea ice - Owl 69/70/75 - 04-18-2009 01:47 PM

(04-18-2009 09:05 AM)jh Wrote:  According to the chart, the three (possibly four) lowest levels of sea ice have all happened since 2004. The highest levels were all before 1995. As a general rule, it appears that the peaks are getting shorter and the valleys deeper. It's a short term chart, but it does look like the global levels of sea ice are actually slowly declining.

What changed in 1995?

I'm sure someone will link that to the republicans regaining control of congress. But it's hard to see a causal relationship.

What did happen in 1995? Any ideas?

Or maybe this whole thing is cyclic and the cycles occur for reasons that transcend human action. Who knows?

RE: Global sea ice - RobertN - 04-18-2009 02:51 PM

(04-18-2009 01:47 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(04-18-2009 09:05 AM)jh Wrote:  According to the chart, the three (possibly four) lowest levels of sea ice have all happened since 2004. The highest levels were all before 1995. As a general rule, it appears that the peaks are getting shorter and the valleys deeper. It's a short term chart, but it does look like the global levels of sea ice are actually slowly declining.

What changed in 1995?

I'm sure someone will link that to the republicans regaining control of congress. But it's hard to see a causal relationship.

What did happen in 1995? Any ideas?

Or maybe this whole thing is cyclic and the cycles occur for reasons that transcend human action. Who knows?
While I know China was growing before 1995, I wonder if the growing middleclass/wealthy in China(more cars) along with more and more coal plants are to blame? Nah, it is just sunspots. 03-lmfao

RE: Global sea ice - Paul M - 04-18-2009 03:06 PM

RobertN Wrote:While I know China was growing before 1995, I wonder if the growing middleclass/wealthy in China(more cars) along with more and more coal plants are to blame? Nah, it is just sunspots.

Mmmm...... let me get this right. If you have a car in China, your part of the growing middle class/wealthy. If you have 3 cars in America, your part of the shrinking middle class/wealthy. Do I have that right commie/islamofascist?

RE: Global sea ice - smn1256 - 04-18-2009 08:57 PM

I heard an interesting interview today with some expert who pointed out something all of us on this board missed but was right in front of us all along. First, there is no global warming. Instead, when less and less people believe the planet is warming and even less think it's caused by man the left wing fear mongers changed their tactics and now call it climate change. This way when there's snow in Vegas they can say "see, there's snow in Vegas, I told ya so." He said the left predicts weather using the horoscope method: no matter what sign you choose to read you can somehow apply it to yourself and everybody else in the world.

He also made it sound like no matter what the weather is like at any given time the left is continuing to find a ways to call it a problem and blame it in on humans.

The guy said the left is using fear to push their liberal agenda. So I started thinking...what other gems of fear has the left used to scare the pants off us by saying if left unchecked the world will either end or our way of life will drastically change? I came up with a few things that have either proven to be bogus, over stated, or has no proven victim.

Global warming
Global cooling
Deforestation
Holes in the ozone layer
Acid rain
Nuclear winter
Nuclear power
Coal power
China syndrome
Off shore drilling
Inland drilling
Eavesdropping
Racial profiling
Strip mining
Fossil fuels
Guns
Fox News

The things conservatives say we should fear:

Muslim terrorists
Liberals

RE: Global sea ice - RobertN - 04-18-2009 11:33 PM

(04-18-2009 08:57 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  I heard an interesting interview today with some expert who pointed out something all of us on this board missed but was right in front of us all along. First, there is no global warming. Instead, when less and less people believe the planet is warming and even less think it's caused by man the left wing fear mongers changed their tactics and now call it climate change. This way when there's snow in Vegas they can say "see, there's snow in Vegas, I told ya so." He said the left predicts weather using the horoscope method: no matter what sign you choose to read you can somehow apply it to yourself and everybody else in the world.

He also made it sound like no matter what the weather is like at any given time the left is continuing to find a ways to call it a problem and blame it in on humans.

The guy said the left is using fear to push their liberal agenda. So I started thinking...what other gems of fear has the left used to scare the pants off us by saying if left unchecked the world will either end or our way of life will drastically change? I came up with a few things that have either proven to be bogus, over stated, or has no proven victim.

Global warming
Global cooling
Deforestation
Holes in the ozone layer
Acid rain
Nuclear winter
Nuclear power
Coal power
China syndrome
Off shore drilling
Inland drilling
Eavesdropping
Racial profiling
Strip mining
Fossil fuels
Guns
Fox News

The things conservatives say we should fear:

Muslim terrorists
Liberals
03-lmfao God are you rightwingers stupid. No wonder this world is turning into a complete shithole.

Wow. I can't believe that didn't get censored.

RE: Global sea ice - Paul M - 04-19-2009 12:00 AM

(04-18-2009 11:33 PM)RobertN Wrote:  03-lmfao God are you rightwingers stupid. No wonder this world is turning into a complete shithole.

Right-wingers aren't running anything but I'm glad to see you finally admit that those who are running things are turning everything into a complete Roberthole.

RE: Global sea ice - RobertN - 04-19-2009 01:35 AM

(04-18-2009 03:06 PM)Paul M Wrote:  
RobertN Wrote:While I know China was growing before 1995, I wonder if the growing middleclass/wealthy in China(more cars) along with more and more coal plants are to blame? Nah, it is just sunspots.

Mmmm...... let me get this right. If you have a car in China, your part of the growing middle class/wealthy. If you have 3 cars in America, your part of the shrinking middle class/wealthy. Do I have that right commie/islamofascist?
You kind of missed the whole point but that isn't surprising.

RE: Global sea ice - RobertN - 04-19-2009 01:39 AM

(04-19-2009 12:00 AM)Paul M Wrote:  
(04-18-2009 11:33 PM)RobertN Wrote:  03-lmfao God are you rightwingers stupid. No wonder this world is turning into a complete shithole.

Right-wingers aren't running anything but I'm glad to see you finally admit that those who are running things are turning everything into a complete Roberthole.
Really? Isn't it the republicans that want more drilling, more coal, less enforcement of pollutants, less conservation(remember the low flow toilet thread?)?

Btw, thankfully the republicans aren't running things or the entire US would look like Texass-a polluted shithole.

RE: Global sea ice - Paul M - 04-19-2009 08:55 AM

(04-19-2009 01:39 AM)RobertN Wrote:  
(04-19-2009 12:00 AM)Paul M Wrote:  

Really? Isn't it the republicans that want more drilling, more coal, less enforcement of pollutants, less conservation(remember the low flow toilet thread?)?

Btw, thankfully the republicans aren't running things or the entire US would look like Texass-a polluted shithole.

I must be missing your point again.

But thanks once more for admiting Right-Wingers aren't running anything and that those who are running things are turning everything into a complete Roberthole.

RE: Global sea ice - smn1256 - 04-19-2009 08:30 PM

It hit 100 degrees by me today. Cap and trade, cap and trade, cap and trade.... more like cap and tax.