CSNbbs
Baseball rules question - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: Baseball rules question (/thread-26604.html)

Baseball rules question - aggiefansince83 - 03-13-2006 04:13 PM

Okay I am pretty sure if one team has 2 runners on the same base they are both out right?

At the NMSU vs. Loyola Marymount game yesterday it was in the 3rd inning I believe. There was a rundown between 2nd and 3rd. The Loyola player ran back to second at the same time the Loyola player on first ran to second. They were both on at second base for about 1 second. Then one player ran back to first and the Aggie players chased him down while the other Loyola player ran to 3rd. Only the player that ran back to first was out.

The crowd really started getting on the umpires. I thought if you have 2 players on the same base they are both out. I remember one of the Aggie players tagging one of the Loyola players while he was on at second. Am I missing something in the rules or are WAC baseball umps just as bad as football and basketball? 01-wingedeagle

- BanditoAggie - 03-13-2006 04:33 PM

Rule 8 - Base Running

c. If a runner is being run down between bases and the following runner
occupies the same base the first runner has left, the second runner cannot
be put out while occupying said base. If the first runner, however,
returns safely to the base last touched and both runners then are occupying
the same base, the second runner is out, if touched with the ball.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2005/2005_baseball_rules.pdf

- Slapdad - 03-14-2006 01:06 AM

Both runners can be on the same base, but if a tag is applied, the trailing runner is out. The trailing runner can NOT, however, pass the runner in front of him.

Re: Baseball rules question - Six Pack - 03-14-2006 10:43 AM

The crowd was wrong and owes the umpires an apology 02-13-banana

What everyone else said is correct. Both runners would not be out, only the trailing runner.

aggiefansince83 Wrote:Okay I am pretty sure if one team has 2 runners on the same base they are both out right?

At the NMSU vs. Loyola Marymount game yesterday it was in the 3rd inning I believe. There was a rundown between 2nd and 3rd. The Loyola player ran back to second at the same time the Loyola player on first ran to second. They were both on at second base for about 1 second. Then one player ran back to first and the Aggie players chased him down while the other Loyola player ran to 3rd. Only the player that ran back to first was out.

The crowd really started getting on the umpires. I thought if you have 2 players on the same base they are both out. I remember one of the Aggie players tagging one of the Loyola players while he was on at second. Am I missing something in the rules or are WAC baseball umps just as bad as football and basketball? 01-wingedeagle