CSNbbs
Big West or WAC for Basketball? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Proving Grounds (/forum-768.html)
+--- Forum: MWCbbs (/forum-261.html)
+---- Forum: Mountain Division (/forum-202.html)
+----- Forum: Utah State (/forum-377.html)
+----- Thread: Big West or WAC for Basketball? (/thread-26066.html)

- aggiesports - 04-25-2004 03:53 PM

It looks like we will spend one more basketball season in the Big West. Though I can't WAIT to get into the WAC 04-bow , I think this will benefit Aggie Basketball. Ever since the anouncement to join the WAC, it seems our recruiting efforts in basketball, and especialy FOOTBALL have really improved. I think with another great year of recruiting, we will be ready to compete in the WAC as soon as we get there.

What do you guys think? If you had the choice, would you go straight into the WAC next season?

- NorCalAggie - 04-26-2004 10:48 AM

Wasn't the 2004-2005 school year the first season all sports played in the Sun Belt, or was it always football only? I think it is better to have a year to "prepare" for the WAC. Football should be much improved and Basketball will always be competitive, but with Rice's recruiting the talent should be that much better.

- aggiesports - 04-26-2004 12:07 PM

NorCalAggie Wrote:Wasn't the 2004-2005 school year the first season all sports played in the Sun Belt, or was it always football only? I think it is better to have a year to "prepare" for the WAC. Football should be much improved and Basketball will always be competitive, but with Rice's recruiting the talent should be that much better.
No, as I understand it, it has always been 2 years in the Sun Belt as Football only (including the 2004-2005 season), and then the rest of the sports would have gone over. As it stands now, Football will play in the Sun Belt this year while all our other sports remain in the Big West. Then, in 2005-2006, our intire athletic program will start in the WAC.

Is this correct USU78? Or had we not got the WAC invite, would our other programs be playing in the Sun Belt this year?

:ninja:

- WildBlue - 04-26-2004 01:01 PM

I make no claim to be '78, but as I recall, the original agreement was that we'd start playing football in the Sun Belt in '03 and all sports in the fall of '05. Agreement with the Big West was to leave after the spring of '05. So, regardless of the current invitations, the plan was to be in the Big West this coming season and burn the endowment on travel costs starting in a year.

Now, as to the original question, I'd much rather be in the WAC this coming year for all sports, but I understand why it's not to be. :micro: :bighat: :bond: :grom:

- USU78 - 04-26-2004 01:42 PM

WildBlue is correct. There was some talk about taking an early "out" of the BWC for this coming school year, but leaving FB in the SBC -- too many scheduling changes amongst 4 conferences (BWC, WAC, SBC, CUSA) to make it feasible, however.

I'm OK with staying around the BWC -- gives Stew a chance to stock the fridge a bit before WAC play.

:saber:

"Use the book, Luke!" TrueAggie on Luke Staley's dropping of dumbell math.