CSNbbs
Jean Schmidt's (OH-2) October Surprise - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Jean Schmidt's (OH-2) October Surprise (/thread-231622.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Jean Schmidt's (OH-2) October Surprise - Bourgeois_Rage - 10-31-2006 03:34 PM

My Rep also had an October surprise. Not too bright.

Quote:This doesn't happen every day: An incumbent member of Congress, in the middle of a re-election battle, says that storing nuclear waste shipments from around the world in her district may be a good idea.

U.S. Rep. Jean Schmidt does say that, and her support for studying the idea has become an issue in her re-election campaign, especially in rural Pike County, in the far eastern end of her sprawling Southern Ohio District, where the nuclear wastes would be stored.

Quote:"All I can tell you is that when it became known that she supports this, every Jean Schmidt yard sign in the county went down overnight," said Geoffrey Sea, a writer whose home abuts the Piketon plant.

Now I'm all for figuring out what to do with Nuclear waste, but this seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

- Fanatical - 10-31-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:"It would be short-sighted not to seek the money to study this," Beekman said. "It's beyond me why anyone would oppose doing a study to see if this will work."

In an area where the nuclear industry seems to be growing as well. If they can be smart about their proposals to the DOE they could make state of the art facilities and generate alot of money.

- Ninerfan1 - 10-31-2006 04:30 PM

Probably too much to hope for that she's a democrat incumbant huh?

- Machiavelli - 10-31-2006 05:30 PM

I hope the Daily Show picks up on this. Last nights show was hilarious. They had this one sign Dumb**** McDoesntexist. (D) Raise your taxes and surrender to the Terrorists. Right after they show the sign they have clips of all the RNC guys sticking to talking points on SUnday talk shows about generic Democrats. It truly was brilliant and funny.

- Bourgeois_Rage - 11-01-2006 08:13 AM

She's an incumbent Republican in a close race.

- Ninerfan1 - 11-01-2006 08:14 AM

Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:She's an incumbent Republican in a close race.

Damn. :sylviaplath:

- Bourgeois_Rage - 11-01-2006 08:22 AM

She's the one who called Murtha a coward.

- mlb - 11-01-2006 08:41 AM

Southwest Ohio is very republican (especially outside of Hamilton County, where Cincinnati resides).

However, I think even the republican base is getting sick of the people who keep getting put up for office by their party (not that the democrats are any better). This is the kind of stuff that makes me turn more and more libertarian every day. At this point I think I am voting for the libertarian governor candidate.

- OptimisticOwl - 11-01-2006 10:08 AM

People get disillusioned with their reps, and either turn to third party candidates or stay home, resulting inthe election of democrats. After a while, usually one term, they usually get re-energized to get those idiots out of office, but in the meantime, they let the Dems have their way. This is what is happening this year.

Just heard on the radio that 146,000 new jobs were created last month. Oh, the misery!!!! Thank goodness Nancy will correct that.

- Ninerfan1 - 11-01-2006 10:20 AM

OptimisticOwl Wrote:People get disillusioned with their reps, and either turn to third party candidates or stay home, resulting inthe election of democrats. After a while, usually one term, they usually get re-energized to get those idiots out of office, but in the meantime, they let the Dems have their way. This is what is happening this year.

This is the part I never get. It's like cutting off their nose to spite their face.

People think that it will teach republicans a lesson by staying home and letting them lose. In the mean time their taxes will go up, defense spending will go down the president will have no hope of getting any judicial nominee through that isn't a marxist. So they have less money, they're less safe and what they believe now has no hope of standing up in courts. Way to show the republicans folks. 01-wingedeagle

The time to effect change is in the primaries, not the general election.

- Bourgeois_Rage - 11-01-2006 10:55 AM

Alarmist much, ninerfan?

I don't get that reasoning. If the republicans are doing such a great job then why are people so ticked off at them? Maybe it is because they are not as fiscally conservative like they want you to think. They have disenfranchised mainstream conservatives.

I suppose I'll be reading a rant about how the liberal media has pulled the wool over the eyes of the public. But I think that many people are sick of the lack of leadership from the republicans. They haven't done much to help this country's cause.

- Ninerfan1 - 11-01-2006 11:03 AM

Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:Alarmist much, ninerfan?

I tell you what, if you can assure me that a democratic majority won't raise my taxes, won't gut defense and intelligence spending and will confirm the kind of judges I believe should be on the bench I'll rush right out and vote for them today. Something tells me I'm not in danger of having to cast that vote.

Quote:I don't get that reasoning. If the republicans are doing such a great job then why are people so ticked off at them? Maybe it is because they are not as fiscally conservative like they want you to think. They have disenfranchised mainstream conservatives.

Perhaps you don't get that reasoning because you never saw me say they were doing a good job. And you're right, they have disenfranchised mainstream conservatives.

My point is that the time to show that dissatisfaction is in a primary. Staying home, or voting democratic out of spite, does absolutely nothing to change the fundamental problem. Do you really think the cure for rampant spending is to elect a democrat? You really think that if you want your taxes to stay low that electing a democrat will accomplish that?

Quote:I suppose I'll be reading a rant about how the liberal media has pulled the wool over the eyes of the public.

You may, but not from me.

Quote:But I think that many people are sick of the lack of leadership from the republicans. They haven't done much to help this country's cause.

I'd say lowering taxes that have helped foster a terrific economy is helpful. I also believe the defense measures they've taken to help fight terrorists are helpful (I'm sure you'd disagree). But their spending and their refusal to deal with the borders are the two biggest gripes I have with them. However there's no chance in hell the dems will take a different course on those items so staying home and not voting will do nothing to help the situation.

- Bourgeois_Rage - 11-01-2006 11:20 AM

Primaries are a tough place for moderates to succeed. Those further on the right have an easy time of painting moderates as soft on Republican issues and catering to Democrats (and vice versa). On the other hand a moderate can do well in a general election by pulling votes across the aisle that feel upset about their incumbent.

I, for one, will never stay home for an election. I'll continue to vote for the best candidate and not set myself up with a false dichotomy of having to choose either rep or dem. I say more people need to look at third parties with a serious eye. I'll also say that third parties need to appeal to moderates more and less to their extremist elements.

Sorry about the liberal media shot, I guess I just think people are smart enough to see politicking in the media when it is happening. Those who refuse probably aren't going to change their minds anyway, they are hearing what they want to hear.

- dwr0109 - 11-01-2006 11:35 AM

NinerFan...I doubt your taxes will go up much unless you're in that top 1%income bracket. But something tells me if you had that much dough you'd have better things to do than sit around here with us.

- dwr0109 - 11-01-2006 11:36 AM

NinerFan...I doubt your taxes will go up much unless you're in that top 1% income bracket. But something tells me if you had that much dough you'd have better things to do than sit around here with us.

- Ninerfan1 - 11-01-2006 11:39 AM

Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:I, for one, will never stay home for an election. I'll continue to vote for the best candidate and not set myself up with a false dichotomy of having to choose either rep or dem. I say more people need to look at third parties with a serious eye. I'll also say that third parties need to appeal to moderates more and less to their extremist elements.

I'm right there with you. I'm not saying I'd never vote for a democrat, I have in the past. But the problem is the leadership of the democratic party today is not moderate. Take Harold Ford or Heath Schuler for example. I could vote for either of these guys because they share many of my views. But when they get to congress they will be grossly out numbered and their moderate tendencies won't be able to effect change. They will be led by Harry Reid and Nancy Peolosi and it is their views and their agenda that will carry the day. And people like Ford and Schuler can vote with them or be rendered absolutely ineffective in their jobs.

Quote:Sorry about the liberal media shot, I guess I just think people are smart enough to see politicking in the media when it is happening. Those who refuse probably aren't going to change their minds anyway, they are hearing what they want to hear.

No worries. Bias is there without a doubt but at the end of the day most people I think are smart enough to cut through the crap.

- Ninerfan1 - 11-01-2006 11:41 AM

dwr0109 Wrote:NinerFan...I doubt your taxes will go up much unless you're in that top 1%income bracket.

Perhaps. But I've always been a believer that higher taxes stifle the economy as a whole. And that top 1% drive a lot of the engines of the economy these days.

However from what some dems are saying (see Charlie Rangel) they would simply allow the current tax cuts to expire. Those were across the board my tax burden would increase in such an event.

Quote:But something tells me if you had that much dough you'd have better things to do than sit around here with us.

Sad, but true. lmfao

- mlb - 11-01-2006 11:45 AM

Voting down party lines is ridiculous, IMHO. I vote for the best candidate. Many times it is the republican, many times the democrat, and many times the 3rd party people.

Also, one house switching out of republican control is not a bad thing, IMO.

- Rebel - 11-01-2006 11:47 AM

dwr0109 Wrote:NinerFan...I doubt your taxes will go up much unless you're in that top 1%income bracket. But something tells me if you had that much dough you'd have better things to do than sit around here with us.

:youmoron: I see you're sipping the Kool-Aid.

- Rebel - 11-01-2006 11:48 AM

...besides, deficit is shrinking, jobs are plentiful, growth is unreal, market is closing high, investments are up, unemployment is at 4.6%, housing is up....

.....tell us DRW, why the "F" should the taxes go up AT ALL!!!???

Also, all those "evil rich" people that you ***** about, well, guess what, they are the ones, and get this, PRODUCING THE JOBS.