CSNbbs
Why I have no faith in America's terrorist defense - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Why I have no faith in America's terrorist defense (/thread-230611.html)

Why I have no faith in America's terrorist defense - georgia_tech_swagger - 06-28-2006 12:33 AM

I'm sure this will draw smirks from technophobes and Windows fanboys, but I consider it a valid analogy.

The United States defense strategy is the same Microsoft uses with Windows. It's a strategy of security through obscurity -- or "the bad guys can't see what we have done to secure things because we keep that a secret."

So the bad guys poke at the defenses. Sure, they get caught. But they keep poking ... and eventually they find the soft spot where defense is lax and they win. They only have to get lucky once.

If America's strategy was truely adequate, it would be (for the most part) an open one, like Linux. If it's a good defense strategy, you can say what it is, and essentially dare the terrorists to stick their neck out and get caught.

The "shhhh don't tell" policy stinks of inadequacy, and to some degree that the terrorists have already won. Bush's tirade against the NYT and how their article "endangered Americans" makes me want to vomit. If the federal gov't has to throw away our civil liberties to do a half assed job of securing the homeland, the terrorists have already won.