CSNbbs
Sure bet not to win in the NCAA Tourney - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Team Talk (/forum-432.html)
+----- Forum: Western Kentucky (/forum-304.html)
+----- Thread: Sure bet not to win in the NCAA Tourney (/thread-15978.html)

Sure bet not to win in the NCAA Tourney - BubbaTop - 01-16-2007 07:16 PM

I just stumbled across this on the web and was a bit surprised, or was I?

- Hilltopper2K - 01-16-2007 07:29 PM

I guessed OVC... was I right?

This was too obvious - BubbaTop - 01-16-2007 08:43 PM

Yep. The OVC...hasn't won since 1989 and I believe that was MTSU.

- Hilltopper2K - 01-16-2007 08:44 PM

Ouch.

Re: This was too obvious - Unixmaster - 01-16-2007 10:09 PM

BubbaTop Wrote:Yep. The OVC...hasn't won since 1989 and I believe that was MTSU.

I was there for that. We had a freshman guard, Mike Buck, that just went nuts in the second half. MT was down 17 points in the second half and Buck started hitting three point shots from all over. He didn't miss one shot, FG or FT in the game. MT won the game 97-83. The NAshville Tennessean headline the next day was MTSU's Trophy, a 26 point Buck. We had a good team that year. In an exhibition game in the season, MT defeated the Soviet Union National Team in OT. This was the Soviet Union team (Arvidas Sabonis, Marchulenis, and Kurtenaitus) that won the goal Medal in the Seoul, Korea Olympics in '88.

That was the third year in a row that the ovc won a tournament game. Peay won a game over Illinois in '87 that forced Vitale to live up to his promise that he would stand on his head if the Illini lost. Peay beat MT that year in the finals of the ovc to claim the auto bid. MT got an at-large bid - the one and only ever at large bid for an ovc team. That year we had a number of good wins including one over Michigan. That was the year Louisville was left out and Denny Crum had a temper tantrum because of it. MT lost in the first round to Notre Dame when David Rivers had a career night.

In '88 murray state defeated nc state.

- galojah - 01-20-2007 11:16 AM

89 / 95, not a lot of difference. We (the conference) need to win a game!