CSNbbs
Gas prices to approach $4.00 this summer. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: WMU Archives (/forum-939.html)
+----- Thread: Gas prices to approach $4.00 this summer. (/thread-156692.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Gas prices to approach $4.00 this summer. - DesertBronco - 04-26-2007 03:03 PM

It's just a side bar on the news, hardly reported at all. I can't believe our media doesn't report this.

Re: Gas prices to approach $4.00 this summer. - 1125 - 04-26-2007 03:23 PM

DesertBronco Wrote:It's just a side bar on the news, hardly reported at all. I can't believe our media doesn't report this.
Drudge had it about a week ago

- westernwilly - 04-26-2007 07:53 PM

I paid $5.00/gal in the late '80s in Germany. We are all in for a major lifestyle change.

Suddenly that house in the country is not such a good idea. :bcs:

- BroncoPhilly - 04-26-2007 10:15 PM

All that means is I get to spend even more time in Japan this year than I did last year. Hybrids are going to be IN DEMAND. Job security, BroncoPhilly. 04-bow

- steer - 04-26-2007 10:43 PM

I paid 2.99.9 today 03-hissyfit

- MidnightBlue&Gold - 04-26-2007 11:08 PM

I paid 2.67 on Tuesday.

Re: Gas prices to approach $4.00 this summer. - Liam9903 - 04-27-2007 07:29 AM

KState1125 Wrote:
DesertBronco Wrote:It's just a side bar on the news, hardly reported at all. I can't believe our media doesn't report this.

legitimate media then

- Chipdip1 - 04-27-2007 08:31 AM

According to the Wall Street Journal this is not a consumption issue, it's a refinery issue. There is currently 1 refinery in the U.S. that is shut down for retooling or something, and that has effected production, hence supply. They figured it would adjust when it is back online.

They also mentioned that there hasnt been a new refinery built in over a decade, pointing the finger at overzealous environmentalists.

- Liam9903 - 04-27-2007 08:48 AM

Chipdip1 Wrote:hasnt been a new refinery built in over a decade, pointing the finger at overzealous environmentalists.

Yeah that would make sense. I mean the environmentalists have much more to gain than say a gigantic oil company would in keeping a set level of production. Works for me. I also hear that the war in Iraq is going well, and that we need a constitutional amendment protecting marriage.

Re: Gas prices to approach $4.00 this summer. - Motown Bronco - 04-27-2007 10:03 AM

Liam9903 Wrote:
KState1125 Wrote:

legitimate media then

Drudge isn't really "media". It's just a site full of links to other media. A quick browse of his site today shows a list full of links to Reuters, MSNBC, NY Times, NY Post, Detroit Free Press, and so on.

It's entirely possible, then, that Drudge had a link to "legitimate media" about $4 gas.

- Liam9903 - 04-27-2007 10:30 AM

I am fully aware of what that site is. It also links to conservative blogs, tabloid papers, and occassionaly will break a story before it has been confirmed. It will open with a headline that says Gas to Reach $4.00 a gallon then you click on a link that will re direct you to another website or a message from wierdo Matt Drudge with some report on a soon to be released report followed by a message that says developing. Its a garbage website for people who need trash journalism spoon fed to them.

- DesertBronco - 04-27-2007 11:38 AM

Good stuff Liam.

- ElFanatico - 04-27-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:overzealous environmentalists.

It's not so much that as it is the "Not in my back yard" types. Everyone's only looking out for their own interests here, and everyone is paying the price of the ones being selfish

- EMUTRACK1574 - 04-27-2007 12:18 PM

I read it on cnn.com a couple of days ago. It's over $3.00 in Chicago and right at $3.00 in Hammond, IN.

- DesertBronco - 04-27-2007 01:02 PM

Everyone....WHOOSH!

It was a backhanded jab at those who blame the media for not broadcasting relevant news. Typical of the myopia, it turned into a thread of blaming environmentalists for refineries not being built. 01-wingedeagle

BTW, that refinery issue is an old, tired one and convenient for the oil companies to keep their prices where they want to peg them and blame the issue on environmentalists. If they wanted to build refineries they would. These are the same people that got their way to drill in Alaska.

Liam got it.

- 1125 - 04-27-2007 01:13 PM

Drudge comes out with one of those stories that makes him legit every once in awhile. He may not break as many stories but he sure pushes stories that will make it eventually to your radio or TV within a week or so. Very powerful media personality. Maybe more than Rush.

- Chipdip1 - 04-27-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:BTW, that refinery issue is an old, tired one and convenient for the oil companies to keep their prices where they want to peg them and blame the issue on environmentalists. If they wanted to build refineries they would. These are the same people that got their way to drill in Alaska.

Naaaahhh. Alaska wasnt a NIMBY issue, as nobody lives there. Elf is partially right in that this is a NIMBY issue. I cant say whether it's trumped up by big oil or not. Consumption is up, substantially since the last refinery went online. At some point that has to effect production. Surely if people can believe all the hooyie about global warming, you can believe that refinery production effects supply.

- DesertBronco - 04-27-2007 03:20 PM

Yeah, that's a plausable correlation if I ever saw one.

- Liam9903 - 04-27-2007 03:45 PM

Chipdip1 Wrote:Surely if people can believe all the hooyie about global warming, you can believe that refinery production effects supply.

That isn't really disputed. The issue is that oil companies want to bulid more and are some how being stopped by the powerful and well connected environmental lobby. If only there were some friends of big oil in the upper levels of government that could help them advance their agenda.

- DesertBronco - 04-27-2007 03:56 PM

Liam, you know as well as I that those LIBERAL environmentalists are more powerful, control all the media and slap those poor oil companies down as fast as they can say 'build a refinery'. lmfao