CSNbbs
Roy Kramer - The man behind the fall of the SEC?? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: Roy Kramer - The man behind the fall of the SEC?? (/thread-10449.html)

- adriannekuch - 05-13-2002 10:42 PM

"Kramer

- georgia_tech_swagger - 05-14-2002 12:37 PM

IMHO, Kramer plays favorites and knows things are coming apart. He got out before his world collapsed around him.

- calling_the_hogs - 05-14-2002 02:23 PM

Of course he does

His favorites are Tennessee and Miss. State

He HATES us! that I know

Adrianne, I'll buy the drinks, let's toast his dismissal.

- SeminoleRob - 05-14-2002 02:59 PM

If I remember correctly, Kramer was the one, along with Florida, that blocked FSU from joining the SEC originally.

- SeminoleRob - 05-17-2002 12:44 PM

"You remember wrong. FSU was never "blocked" from joining the SEC. They decided on their own not to join with a lot of support from Bobby Bowden to join the ACC (which is a very weak football conference overall; hence, FSU's dominance in the league)."

Actually, I read back on it. The Jacksonville paper did an article on it, and what happened is that when the SEC did its last expansion, Arkansas joined, and then a lot of the teams expected FSU to be the #12 team. However, the FSU dean at the time got a call from the ACC director, and was really wowed by their overall push to get FSU into the conference. The SEC, with Kramer at the helm, also did a presentation, but really didn't go out of their way to push.

The clock was ticking down, and the ACC was getting ready to vote. Hearing about his, Kramer took a quick conference call vote, and they decided not to extend an invitation. The vote was 6-2 in favor of expansion and 8-0 to allow FSU to join.

Florida was very opposed to FSU in the SEC. Always has been. Bobby wanted FSU in the SEC. He wanted Bama, Auburn, and Tennessee (and their fan base) to come play at Doak. He was also swayed by the ACC's push.