CSNbbs

Full Version: UofMN football back on campus in 2008?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
<span style='font-family:Trebuchet MS'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:yellow'>Thanks to TCF Bank, this is closer than ever to happening. The state says if the U can come up with their 60% of the cost, they will come up with the remaining 40%. Thanks to todays announcement, it's on track for a 2008 season opening.

U stadium to be named TCF Bank Stadium
Jay Weiner, Star Tribune
March 25, 2005

The University of Minnesota’s proposed new on-campus football stadium will be named TCF Bank Stadium, university officials announced Thursday. University officials are hoping the stadium could be open for the 2008 season.

TCF Financial Corp. has agreed to be the lead sponsor for the proposed stadium, paying $35 million over 25 years. The announcement was made at a news conference Thursday morning before several hundred Gophers fans, many of them waving maroon and gold pom-poms.

Said University President Robert Bruininks: "Their [TCF's] support is a signifcant step toward bringing Gophers football to campus."

The university is seeking $94 million in state aid and hopes to raise $141 million for the 50,000 seat stadium hat is projected to cost $235 million. A legislative Senate commitee on Wednesday approved a plan in which the state would kick in $7 million a year for 25 years for the stadium.

The next stop for the bill is the Finance Committee. A House companion bill is scheduled for a an April 4 hearing.

Said Gov. Tim Pawlenty: "Bill Cooper [TCF Financial Corp. CEO] has thrown a $35 million pass to President Bruininks. Now it's up to the 'U,' it's private donors and the state to get the ball down the field."</span></span></span>

[Image: GroundLevel.jpg]

[Image: BowlView.jpg]

Location: The stadium would be located on the University’s Huron Avenue parking complex, close to existing athletic venues Williams Arena (men's basketabll) and Mariucci Arena (men's hockey). The site has room for a new stadium and still leaves room for potential future development of new academic and research facilities.

Design: The open-air horseshoe design has a capacity of 50,000, including general seats as well as an array of club and suite seats. The stadium would complement the campus environment, have a collegiate look and feel, create two landscaped plazas, and accommodate other uses. The design allows for maximum flexibility, including potential expansion to 80,000 seats.

Parking: Existing University and State Fairgrounds parking is sufficient to meet projected game-day requirements of about 17,000 spaces. The 2,700 parking spaces currently on the stadium site would be replaced on or near the site.

Cost: The total project cost is estimated at $222 million, which includes $16.8 million for site preparation, $25.1 million for district improvements, and $180.1 million for the stadium. Approximately $10 million for inflation is factored into these figures. Further analysis is needed and could result in significant cost fluctuations.

Consultation: In accordance with its commitment to an open and inclusive planning process, the University will engage in a dialogue about stadium options with the University community, adjacent neighborhoods, local businesses, and other public agencies. This consultation will play an important role in the decision-making process.
Reference URL's