Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Huntington Center Story - D1 Hockey
Bookmark and Share
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Huntington Center Story - D1 Hockey
https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/walle...0240417128

Briggs is a good writer. He is not going to be in this market much longer.

The other take is Toledo is blessed to have Napoli in this town. A smart minor league manager of facilities.

If Toledo is this hungry for hockey, could U of Toledo raise the $10,000,000 or so that it would take to start a mens and womens hockey program.

Women especially. Currently the state of Michigan has ZERO division 1 womens hockey programs. Opportunity with the youth hockey programs in Michigan
04-18-2024 08:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Huntington Center Story - D1 Hockey
To answer your question...no...UT raised $32M for the entire University last year, and most of that was in life insurance policy endowments, not real cash. The average annual giving over the last 10 years is closer to $20M total, and there is no chance with the finances looking as they are the University would ever try to pull $10M for a non-revenue generating sport (or sport at all). No one watches women's hockey, so there is no money in it whatsoever. Unless we get a WMU sized gift from some 9-figure net worth alumni that I'm unaware of, there is no chance of this happening.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 08:54 AM by BearcatMan.)
04-18-2024 08:52 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(04-18-2024 08:52 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  To answer your question...no...UT raised $32M for the entire University last year, and most of that was in life insurance policy endowments, not real cash. The average annual giving over the last 10 years is closer to $20M total, and there is no chance with the finances looking as they are the University would ever try to pull $10M for a non-revenue generating sport (or sport at all). No one watches women's hockey, so there is no money in it whatsoever. Unless we get a WMU sized gift from some 9-figure net worth alumni that I'm unaware of, there is no chance of this happening.

In FY 2023 donors contributed $3.0 million total designated to Athletics, in recent years when it was higher, was because of specific donation in support of new or renovated facilities. So raising $10m for new sports seems very unlikely nor a priority for the AD. Seems more likely that if there is a targeted goal by Athletics in the next capital campaign it will be for new SB/BB facility on main campus and not adding a new sport (especially one that can't generate enough annual revenue to cover the additional operating expenses with Athletics shrinking budget.
04-18-2024 08:59 AM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-18-2024 08:59 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(04-18-2024 08:52 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  To answer your question...no...UT raised $32M for the entire University last year, and most of that was in life insurance policy endowments, not real cash. The average annual giving over the last 10 years is closer to $20M total, and there is no chance with the finances looking as they are the University would ever try to pull $10M for a non-revenue generating sport (or sport at all). No one watches women's hockey, so there is no money in it whatsoever. Unless we get a WMU sized gift from some 9-figure net worth alumni that I'm unaware of, there is no chance of this happening.

In FY 2023 donors contributed $3.0 million total designated to Athletics, in recent years when it was higher, was because of specific donation in support of new or renovated facilities. So raising $10m for new sports seems very unlikely nor a priority for the AD. Seems more likely that if there is a targeted goal by Athletics in the next capital campaign it will be for new SB/BB facility on main campus and not adding a new sport (especially one that can't generate enough annual revenue to cover the additional operating expenses with Athletics shrinking budget.

Speaking of a new capital campaign, there's been talk for a year, but when will it begin?
04-18-2024 01:15 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(04-18-2024 01:15 PM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(04-18-2024 08:59 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Speaking of a new capital campaign, there's been talk for a year, but when will it begin?

last summer or fall I heard it was perhaps still 12-18 months away, Foundation is working on needs assessment, donor capacity study, and looking to secure large lead donation-all are key steps before launching a campaign..so one is coming...
04-18-2024 01:24 PM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

How about U Toledo erects a visual on the east sidelines in the shape of a light tower with a QR code soliciting donations.
04-19-2024 11:18 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Is there enough ice time available somewhere in the area for another team or two to have a daily practice schedule needed to maintain a D1 team?
04-19-2024 01:00 PM
Advertisement

utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
They can’t even rais 1 million to get a 7 foot center
04-20-2024 12:40 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

given NIL and UT budget issues, likely needs to be real concern and focus on how to maintain high quality CFB, MBB and WBB programs rather then adding or expanding other sports
04-20-2024 01:26 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

Never mind DI hockey, let get more fannies in seats in both football and basketball
04-20-2024 08:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.