Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Spring Game Recaps
Bookmark and Share
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Spring Game Recaps
Post here what you saw in your spring game. Others may have more to offer who attended, but here are a couple of things from MT.

1. Head ball coach had this to say which is perhaps promising... "In 15 practices on the grass, this football team is much better than I anticipated." - Derek Mason

2. With a new coach you always worry about how the team will adapt to new systems especially on offense. That seems to be of less concern at this point. QB1 Nick Vattiato was in mid-season form it seemed.

Completed 15-of-16 passes for 228 yards and 1 TD in what amounted to about two quarters of time on the field. And the one incompletion was a ball batted at the line. He hooked up with Auburn transfer Omari Kelly 6 times for 93 yards.

Let us know what you took from your team's spring.
04-16-2024 08:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: Spring Game Recaps
Coaching Matters.
04-16-2024 11:21 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

if this makeup of fans is anything like 2014-2021....

a lot of spring all conference players that are borderline AAs. Along with that every team looks to be improved and ready to go out and get 8 to 10 wins. CUSA will have a ton of 4.3 to 4.5 WRs that catch anything and everything with in a yard thrown of them. Hell it can be 6 feet over their head and still catch it. There will be 6 to 9 RBs that looks to be first team all conference. Enough QBs that look like they will complete 70% and maybe run for 500 yards that first team all conference could have 4 or 5 qbs

Other words Spring and fall camp is for dreaming....

then Sept gets here.

I'll let you know how many all conference players Western has, on Saturday. Should be 2 or 3 spots for the rest of the conference to fill. Aug is the longest month for me even if I spend most of it fishing, at the beach, and in the most relaxing setting you can find....waking up, drinking your coffee, feeling the wind while listening to the ocean, and watching the creatures in that ocean show up almost every morning.

While hoping those days will fly by....FOOTBALL.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2024 02:05 PM by WKUYG.)
04-16-2024 02:03 PM
whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
(04-16-2024 02:03 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  if this makeup of fans is anything like 2014-2021....

a lot of spring all conference players that are borderline AAs. Along with that every team looks to be improved and ready to go out and get 8 to 10 wins. CUSA will have a ton of 4.3 to 4.5 WRs that catch anything and everything with in a yard thrown of them. Hell it can be 6 feet over their head and still catch it. There will be 6 to 9 RBs that looks to be first team all conference. Enough QBs that look like they will complete 70% and maybe run for 500 yards that first team all conference could have 4 or 5 qbs

Other words Spring and fall camp is for dreaming....

then Sept gets here.

Jax State's spring game isn't until Friday night.

Until then (and honestly, after then, all through summer and fall camp until the first game of the season finally kicks off on Aug. 31 against Coastal) all Gamecock fans are going to be worried about is whether we'll lose anyone else to the Portal, and whether we can replace the guys we did lose.

The introduction of the Portal was bad enough. But adding NIL on top of that just throws a monkey wrench in the works.
04-16-2024 04:41 PM
RustonBulldog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: LA Tech
Louisiana Tech is going to field its worst team in the modern era. Defensively, there is a little bit of talent. Offensively, they’ll struggle to create separation at receiver, struggle to pass the ball to the receivers, struggle to block for the quarterback, struggle to accurately throw the football and struggle to find holes in the running game.

Our coach is a dead man walking. He’s won three games in consecutive seasons. We have regressed in every game since he took over. The AD that hired him is gone. The president that hired him is gone. His buyout dropped at the beginning of 24

Saying he is on the hot seat is the understatement of the century. The man has the hottest seat in America. He would have to win 7 games to survive and I’m sorry but there is a real possibility this team goes winless next season. Maybe they’ll prove me wrong, but I’m not optimistic.
04-16-2024 04:50 PM
BlueRaiderDave Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
(04-16-2024 04:50 PM)RustonBulldog Wrote:  Louisiana Tech is going to field its worst team in the modern era. Defensively, there is a little bit of talent. Offensively, they’ll struggle to create separation at receiver, struggle to pass the ball to the receivers, struggle to block for the quarterback, struggle to accurately throw the football and struggle to find holes in the running game.

Our coach is a dead man walking. He’s won three games in consecutive seasons. We have regressed in every game since he took over. The AD that hired him is gone. The president that hired him is gone. His buyout dropped at the beginning of 24

Saying he is on the hot seat is the understatement of the century. The man has the hottest seat in America. He would have to win 7 games to survive and I’m sorry but there is a real possibility this team goes winless next season. Maybe they’ll prove me wrong, but I’m not optimistic.
CUSA needs Tech to be good. In the same manner it needs Middle Tennessee to be good in men's basketball. We're both falling short and it's killing the league.
04-16-2024 04:57 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Id love to hear how any former TXST players are doing at their new homes. RB Hill at UTEP, RB Davenport at La Tech, and of course TJ Finley at WKU in particular.
04-16-2024 05:40 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
UTEP’s spring game is this coming Saturday. With 47 new players, I’m sure the Miners will be world beaters. No doubt. Seriously though, looking forward to seeing/reading about the new wide open offense. Problem with spring ball is if the offense looks great does that mean the defense stinks and vice versa?
04-16-2024 08:55 PM
Baldspot Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty
Liberty moved their spring game to March 2nd primarily to give a couple extra months healing time to anyone injured before the 2024 season begins.

On the first play of the game Kaidon Salton hit Coastal Carolina transfer WR Tyson Mobley in stride for a 60 yard TD.

App State’s starting QB at the beginning of 2023, Ryan Burger transferred to Liberty this spring and was voted most improved QB during LU’s spring practice.

IMG Academy’s starting QB in 2023, 4 star Jayden Bradford, threw a TD on the last play of the scrimmage. IMG had 13 four star and two five star recruits in 2023. Their QB picked LU early in 2023 and arrived on campus in January.

https://libertyflames.com/news/2024/3/2/...tball-game
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2024 07:25 AM by Baldspot.)
04-17-2024 07:23 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

(04-17-2024 07:23 AM)Baldspot Wrote:  Liberty moved their spring game to March 2nd primarily to give a couple extra months healing time to anyone injured before the 2024 season begins.

On the first play of the game Kaidon Salton hit Coastal Carolina transfer WR Tyson Mobley in stride for a 60 yard TD.

App State’s starting QB at the beginning of 2023, Ryan Burger transferred to Liberty this spring and was voted most improved QB during LU’s spring practice.

IMG Academy’s starting QB in 2023, 4 star Jayden Bradford, threw a TD on the last play of the scrimmage. IMG had 13 four star and two five star recruits in 2023. Their QB picked LU early in 2023 and arrived on campus in January.

https://libertyflames.com/news/2024/3/2/...tball-game

Sounds like y'alls 3x QB sets will be hard to defend.
04-17-2024 07:49 AM
RustonBulldog Offline
2nd String

(04-16-2024 05:40 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  Id love to hear how any former TXST players are doing at their new homes. RB Hill at UTEP, RB Davenport at La Tech, and of course TJ Finley at WKU in particular.

Davenport is running with the ones in spring because of injuries
04-17-2024 11:17 AM
Advertisement

Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(04-17-2024 11:17 AM)RustonBulldog Wrote:  
(04-16-2024 05:40 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  Id love to hear how any former TXST players are doing at their new homes. RB Hill at UTEP, RB Davenport at La Tech, and of course TJ Finley at WKU in particular.

If not for the injuries where do you think he would be on the depth chart?
04-17-2024 12:41 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
MT has one thing in football that it hasn't had in a LONG time ---> HOPE
04-17-2024 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RustonBulldog Offline
2nd String

(04-17-2024 12:41 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(04-17-2024 11:17 AM)RustonBulldog Wrote:  

If not for the injuries where do you think he would be on the depth chart?

I would guess he’ll back up Marquis Crosby if Crosby is healthy. Crosby hasn’t been healthy since 2022 though so that’s a big if.

We won’t be able to pass protect and we are going to really struggle at QB even with protection so Davenport is certainly going to get the rock.
04-17-2024 01:03 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

His biggest strength was catching out of the backfield. Qb's 2nd best friend.
04-17-2024 01:28 PM
KATatonic Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Sam Houston Bearkats
Sam Houston's spring game is this Saturday. The key areas of interest for me are finding a new starting QB and seeing how our new defensive coordinator works out. Luckily, we are deep at the offensive skill positions. But, we lost a lot of production on defense.
04-18-2024 09:32 AM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

Need a report from KSU. Hopefully they make huge strides.

Did they redshirt a lot of starters last year?
04-18-2024 10:32 AM
Bearkat21 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sam Houston
Defense showed up big at Sam's spring game. DB's were ball hawk's. Lot's of new sets with the new DC that leans on the strength at DB. Offense looks improved over last season with Bauer likely in the lead for QB1. Running backs have put on some serious weight/ size in the offseason which should bode well for the run game that was nonexistent last season. The young Oline from last year is now a year older with some more size and stronger. Finally seeing some lanes that were opened for the run game that didn't exist last season. Biggest "?" is the D line with the loss of Meatball who was amazing at taking up blockers last season. Offensive coaching staff who has plenty of P5 experience says this is the deepest receiving corp they've ever seen. Can we get the ball there? That remains to be seen. I feel as though the pass game should see some improvement as well though assuming QB1 has clean laundry at the end of each game.
04-22-2024 11:45 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(04-22-2024 11:45 AM)Bearkat21 Wrote:  Defense showed up big at Sam's spring game. DB's were ball hawk's. Lot's of new sets with the new DC that leans on the strength at DB. Offense looks improved over last season with Bauer likely in the lead for QB1. Running backs have put on some serious weight/ size in the offseason which should bode well for the run game that was nonexistent last season. The young Oline from last year is now a year older with some more size and stronger. Finally seeing some lanes that were opened for the run game that didn't exist last season. Biggest "?" is the D line with the loss of Meatball who was amazing at taking up blockers last season. Offensive coaching staff who has plenty of P5 experience says this is the deepest receiving corp they've ever seen. Can we get the ball there? That remains to be seen. I feel as though the pass game should see some improvement as well though assuming QB1 has clean laundry at the end of each game.

Hope y'all can get healthy there. According to DCTF "seven of nine are injured and not participating right now." WRs have been injured and y'all had to suit up a GA at WR just to have an extra body out there. Probably pretty tough to get a decent eval on anything with that kind of attrition.
04-22-2024 01:02 PM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
We had a bunch of rain at our game.
04-22-2024 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.