Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Student athletes as employees
Bookmark and Share
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Student athletes as employees
As silly as this idea might have sounded 5 years ago, I wonder how teams like Toledo can halt the poaching of student athletes. There seem to be two levels of athletes transferring: 1) Those that are contributing at the highest levels, and 2) Those that are not and are looking for more playing time. In other words, those that could get paid and those likely just getting more playing time.

So, if the NCAA has no power or interest to govern the less privileged schools essentially becoming “farm” teams, where the best players are moving to a salary or lump sum, maybe the school or conference can do something. If your players are payed based on performance, could this be an employment contract that would need to be bought out by an approaching school? The best players are paid more based on performance and it’s a contract that needs to be bought out.

Has there ever been a time when all members (current school, student athlete, poaching school) weren’t allowed to look out for themselves? That seems un-American.
04-02-2024 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Student athletes as employees
If this ever actually happened, Savage Arena will have a big Spirit Halloween banner on it within a few days.
04-02-2024 06:35 PM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

LOL! What?
04-02-2024 06:51 PM
Screwball Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Money ruins everything and we've already went there.
04-02-2024 06:54 PM
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(04-02-2024 06:54 PM)Screwball Wrote:  Money ruins everything and we've already went there.

Money and greed...money and greed.
04-02-2024 08:42 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(04-02-2024 06:16 PM)PTLROCK Wrote:  As silly as this idea might have sounded 5 years ago, I wonder how teams like Toledo can halt the poaching of student athletes. There seem to be two levels of athletes transferring: 1) Those that are contributing at the highest levels, and 2) Those that are not and are looking for more playing time. In other words, those that could get paid and those likely just getting more playing time.

So, if the NCAA has no power or interest to govern the less privileged schools essentially becoming “farm” teams, where the best players are moving to a salary or lump sum, maybe the school or conference can do something. If your players are payed based on performance, could this be an employment contract that would need to be bought out by an approaching school? The best players are paid more based on performance and it’s a contract that needs to be bought out.

Has there ever been a time when all members (current school, student athlete, poaching school) weren’t allowed to look out for themselves? That seems un-American.

even if UT or MAC were to set up some form of performance based pay or contracts for players, what would stop the major conferences from doing the same and pull MAC players via more money? And as public institutions designating players as employers draws them into a variety of other aspects (not all positive) once under some form of contract or employee status.
04-03-2024 09:42 AM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

I know. It’s really depressing what’s happening to college sports. In prior years it’s exciting to plan on 3 All MAC basketball players coming back. There’s would be a lot to build on. Now it’s just time to start over. Anytime you got a player that achieves it’ll just be “so long”. I am a really optimistic guy. That was my motivation for the thread. I know you get it.
04-03-2024 10:20 PM
indianasniff Online
All American

https://getsomemaction.com/documents/202...t_2024.pdf

Student athletes speaking for themselves. Good points brought up in this.

Take some time to read it. Might change how you think.
04-04-2024 08:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.