Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Squatter Nation
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Squatter Nation
Quote:In New York City, a grandson found his mother’s dead body, beaten by squatters, in an apartment of his recently deceased grandmother. In Atlanta, an Army officer away serving on active duty had her home possessed by a convicted drug dealer. In Jacksonville, a property owner had a brick thrown at her car by two squatters who had moved into her rental home. They did $40,000 worth of damage before being finally removed by police.

Squatters are invading temporarily unoccupied homes across the country. Atlanta realtors estimate that 1,200 homes and apartments are illegally occupied in that metro area.

These squatters are essentially thieves and have developed sophisticated ways of discovering temporarily unoccupied targets, including reading obituaries and invading the homes of those who have recently died, scanning Zillow for homes that have been on the market for longer than a couple weeks, and renting an apartment through Airbnb and then stay past their welcome.

Like the flood of illegal immigrants crossing our southern border, squatters are gaming the system. They know that in most states, evicting someone from a property is a civil matter that requires hiring a lawyer, filing a suit, and often going to trial before a judge. This can take weeks and often months. All that time, the squatters live rent-free and often inflict substantial damage on a property they have no right to be in or any intention of making their stable home.

Some states, such as California, Illinois, and New York, have made the problem worse for homeowners by passing tenant protection laws that allow squatters to stay. In New York, if squatters can prove they have lived at an address for 30 consecutive days, no matter how they came to possess it, the owners are forbidden from changing the locks or shutting off utilities.

This is why Adele Andaloro got arrested, for changing the locks on her dead parents’ $1 million home in Queens. After her parents died, squatters moved in before Andaloro could sell the property, and squatters called the police and had her arrested when she tried to change the locks on this property that was hers. She is now suing the squatters in civil court, which could take six months.

As in so many other areas of policy, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) has taken the lead with laws to close loopholes and restore order to residential neighborhoods. The Florida House and Senate recently passed legislation that allows property owners to file a complaint with the local sheriff’s office where a property is located. Once it is determined that the complainant does own the property, the sheriff must remove the unlawful occupants that day.

Sheriffs are compensated by the complainant for their time, and complainants are liable civilly for wrongful use of this new process (for example, if a court later determines the occupants had a valid lease on the property).

It is unfortunate that civil society has sunk to such a low that Florida’s new property rights law is necessary. Homeowners should be able to go on vacation, serve their country, or rent out their property without fear that squatters will sneak in and trash the place. Kudos to Florida for doing something about the flagrant abuse of our court system. Now, if only Congress, or the Supreme Court, would let states take similar actions against illegal immigrants.

Link

03-28-2024 08:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
RE: Squatter Nation
The situations seem to vary, but who owns all of these houses no one is living in? And where were they when these people were moving in?

Don’t they have security, alarm systems, people checking on the houses etc?

I don’t get why this is so easy for squatters to do.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2024 10:08 PM by Todor.)
03-28-2024 10:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
(03-28-2024 08:50 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
Quote:In New York City, a grandson found his mother’s dead body, beaten by squatters, in an apartment of his recently deceased grandmother. In Atlanta, an Army officer away serving on active duty had her home possessed by a convicted drug dealer. In Jacksonville, a property owner had a brick thrown at her car by two squatters who had moved into her rental home. They did $40,000 worth of damage before being finally removed by police.

Squatters are invading temporarily unoccupied homes across the country. Atlanta realtors estimate that 1,200 homes and apartments are illegally occupied in that metro area.

These squatters are essentially thieves and have developed sophisticated ways of discovering temporarily unoccupied targets, including reading obituaries and invading the homes of those who have recently died, scanning Zillow for homes that have been on the market for longer than a couple weeks, and renting an apartment through Airbnb and then stay past their welcome.

Like the flood of illegal immigrants crossing our southern border, squatters are gaming the system. They know that in most states, evicting someone from a property is a civil matter that requires hiring a lawyer, filing a suit, and often going to trial before a judge. This can take weeks and often months. All that time, the squatters live rent-free and often inflict substantial damage on a property they have no right to be in or any intention of making their stable home.

Some states, such as California, Illinois, and New York, have made the problem worse for homeowners by passing tenant protection laws that allow squatters to stay. In New York, if squatters can prove they have lived at an address for 30 consecutive days, no matter how they came to possess it, the owners are forbidden from changing the locks or shutting off utilities.

This is why Adele Andaloro got arrested, for changing the locks on her dead parents’ $1 million home in Queens. After her parents died, squatters moved in before Andaloro could sell the property, and squatters called the police and had her arrested when she tried to change the locks on this property that was hers. She is now suing the squatters in civil court, which could take six months.

As in so many other areas of policy, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) has taken the lead with laws to close loopholes and restore order to residential neighborhoods. The Florida House and Senate recently passed legislation that allows property owners to file a complaint with the local sheriff’s office where a property is located. Once it is determined that the complainant does own the property, the sheriff must remove the unlawful occupants that day.

Sheriffs are compensated by the complainant for their time, and complainants are liable civilly for wrongful use of this new process (for example, if a court later determines the occupants had a valid lease on the property).

It is unfortunate that civil society has sunk to such a low that Florida’s new property rights law is necessary. Homeowners should be able to go on vacation, serve their country, or rent out their property without fear that squatters will sneak in and trash the place. Kudos to Florida for doing something about the flagrant abuse of our court system. Now, if only Congress, or the Supreme Court, would let states take similar actions against illegal immigrants.

Link

Epic Mind Blown
03-28-2024 10:09 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-28-2024 10:07 PM)Todor Wrote:  The situations seem to vary, but who owns all of these houses no one is living in? And where were they when these people were moving in?

'cause it's da ______, that's a fact

'cause it's da ______, and they're suckin' muh sac

'cause it's da ______, what a game

'cause it's da ______, ain' got no shame

'cause it's da ______!
03-28-2024 10:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-28-2024 10:07 PM)Todor Wrote:  The situations seem to vary, but who owns all of these houses no one is living in? And where were they when these people were moving in?

It's easy because until the imbecile in chief this kind of crap was unthinkable in our nation.

It's what happens when civility and reason are expected, but not delivered.

It's way past time to play nicely. And those who won't play hardball need to be removed.
03-28-2024 10:37 PM
stinkfist Offline

(03-28-2024 10:37 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

It's easy because until the imbecile in chief this kind of crap was unthinkable in our nation.

It's way past time to play nicely. And those who won't play hardball need to be removed.

I hit double digits AND +1 from yesterday in the, 'I get to squeeze your crotch in the field today' ... I believe that's my first double digi w/o going to the pokey ... 03-wink
03-28-2024 10:52 PM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State

I mean, I suppose. But if I had an empty house sitting unattended I wouldn’t just sit with my fingers crossed cursing Biden. I’ll get an alarm system or something.

It seems pretty obvious this happens all the time. I guess people are too cheap to pay for a security system? Seems like they aren’t very attentive or protective of their assets.
03-28-2024 11:07 PM
stinkfist Offline

(03-28-2024 11:07 PM)Todor Wrote:  

I mean, I suppose. But if I had an empty house sitting unattended I wouldn’t just sit with my fingers crossed cursing Biden. I’ll get an alarm system or something.

It seems pretty obvious this happens all the time. I guess people are too cheap to pay for a security system? Seems like they aren’t very attentive or protective of their assets.

what is "all the time" ... better yet, "where is all the time"...

however, I can tell ya this .. bammers and the 'sip ain no stinkin' new west tejas nor meow new mejico...
03-28-2024 11:12 PM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

Squatting has been going on for decades. Hell some of the best albums in the 70s were written by squatters. Problem is squatting is remedied in civil court, not criminal

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
03-29-2024 08:19 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-29-2024 08:19 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

Squatting has been going on for decades. Hell some of the best albums in the 70s were written by squatters. Problem is squatting is remedied in civil court, not criminal

Apparently, it is not! If it was it wouldn't be an issue, would it?
03-29-2024 08:29 AM
The Sicatoka Offline
All American

I Root For: North Dakota
Just call an exterminator.
03-29-2024 08:38 AM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Hollywood A-listers furious after squatters take over $5 million home, throw cocaine-fueled orgies in Beverly Hills neighborhood

Quote:Hollywood elites are furious after a $5 million home near Beverly Hills and Bel Aire has been taken over by squatters who throw wild parties.

A-list celebrities, heiresses, and studio executives enjoyed the quiet of Beverly Grove until squatters moved into the house in October and began throwing parties featuring “cocaine and orgies.”

According to New York Magazine's Curbed, the neighbors, including LeBron James, have had enough of the wild parties.

The outlet quoted one unnamed Hollywood producer who asked, "Who the f*ck are these people squatting in the most exclusive Zip Code in America?"

According to USA TODAY, the $5 million home was previously owned by an orthopedic surgeon, Munir Uwaydah, who fled to Lebanon after he was accused of murdering his 21-year-old model girlfriend Julianna Redding.

John A. Woodward IV, the real estate agent for the house was informed by one of the workers that a U-haul truck had pulled up. Woodward went to check on the property and discovered that the locks had been changed and the FOR SALE sign was removed.

He said at the time that the squatters “have been here since October, charging rents for rooms and throwing massive parties all night long."

ABC 7 reported that the squatters have been charging admission to parties and that "condoms and drug paraphernalia" have been found in the neighborhood around the house.

Police told Woodward they were unable to help as the case was a “civil matter" because squatters had what they claimed was a rental agreement and even had their driver's licenses registered at the home's address.

Curbed reported that the celebrity neighbors have had enough and are constantly demanding that the homeowners association do something about the situation.

According to the outlet, someone from progressive District Attorney George Gascón’s office had heard about the situation but stated “squatters have rights.”

The blowback to the comment was reportedly fierce in the neighborhood group chat with one of the neighbors even writing, “Thanks Liberals.”
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2024 11:52 AM by CrimsonPhantom.)
03-29-2024 11:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stinkfist Offline

(03-29-2024 08:38 AM)The Sicatoka Wrote:  Just call an exterminator.

I find it amusing when brushing one's teeth becomes an issue down ye ol' row-add...

these spoilt li'l dipshites ain' seen nuttin' that's gonna spread them ass cheeks with very little butter left to lube the 'entry' that was once 'exit only'...
03-29-2024 12:20 PM
stinkfist Offline

(03-29-2024 08:29 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

ol' Rip Van still thinks he's the connoisseur of some of summin'...
03-29-2024 12:22 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I'm not sure about this but I think in Texas you could shoot this "squatters" for trespassing, even if you're not living in the premises.

It should be like that. Liberals are killing this country and now the pigeons are beginning to roost in their new coops.

Commiefornia and the elites can kiss my S. Let them get a taste of what normal, work your butt off people go through.
03-29-2024 12:42 PM
stinkfist Offline

(03-29-2024 12:42 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  I'm not sure about this but I think in Texas you could shoot this "squatters" for trespassing, even if you're not living in the premises.

It should be like that. Liberals are killing this country and now the pigeons are beginning to roost in their new coops.

Commiefornia and the elites can kiss my S. Let them get a taste of what normal, work your butt off people go through.

depending on the district/county, I'm guessing one has > 80% if it were to see the 'scales' in most of the geo....

however, in ol' el pisso or austin, I wouldn't give 'er a snowball's of remaining solid in any 'state' ... COGS
03-29-2024 12:50 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
It's perplexing but even though El Paso is 80% Democrapped, 80% Catholic, 80% Hispanic the laws are still upheld. Liberal viewpoints are not on the same level as in White population cities. There is a limit to what a criminal can do here, he'll be caught and arrested immediately (and I must admit, we have one of the best crime investigators in the nation. If you remain in EP after a crime, they will find you.)

Unfortunately for the 3% of the population where they see their people having free rein in other cities, it's not the case in EP as other racial and ethnic groups have realized.
03-29-2024 01:13 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Open door.

Release the hounds.

Problem solved.
03-29-2024 01:16 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
03-29-2024 01:40 PM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(03-29-2024 08:29 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Been an issue for 50 years. We had one take over one my family's properties in the mid 90s. It was cheaper to bribe him than go through the civil courts

03-29-2024 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.