Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 pursuing Duke to join conference
1Dukie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: DUKE
Big 12 pursuing Duke to join conference
https://larrybrownsports.com/college-bas...acc/630616

Duke and Gonzaga to from the premeir basketball conference.
03-26-2024 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
RE: Big 12 pursuing Duke to join conference
Wow - that is not gonna happen. Duke is going to B1G with UNC or SEC - they have no reason to even consider B12.

But I applaud the reach.

ACC teams off the table:
UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson, Virginia

ACC teams we should and could get?
Louisville, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Cal

ACC teams we'd like but could go somewhere else:
NC State, Va Tech, Miami, Stanford

ACC teams we don't want:
Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024 11:24 AM by jgkojak.)
03-26-2024 11:23 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
(03-26-2024 11:23 AM)jgkojak Wrote:  ACC teams we don't want:
Yormark seems like he would love Syracuse.
03-26-2024 11:30 AM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(03-26-2024 11:30 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  

I could see a North east push for Syracuse, BC, and UConn. I don't think it would be successful with the presidents, but I could see it as an option in the folder.
03-26-2024 11:35 AM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
(03-26-2024 11:35 AM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  

I could see a North east push for Syracuse, BC, and UConn. I don't think it would be successful with the presidents, but I could see it as an option in the folder.

I just don't see the value any of these add - other than UConn, and even UConn is really a non factor in football.

Pitt and Va Tech have existing rivalries with WV and are within 2 hours of other B12 programs (Cinci). Louisville is a powerhouse on paper. Ga Tech is AAU and brings metro Atlanta. NC State brings enough of a market plus decent BB and FB.
03-26-2024 11:40 AM
TerpsvilleMayor Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Maryland
(03-26-2024 11:23 AM)jgkojak Wrote:  Wow - that is not gonna happen. Duke is going to B1G with UNC or SEC - they have no reason to even consider B12.

But I applaud the reach.

ACC teams off the table:

ACC teams we don't want:

Is your comment about Duke an opinion? I’ve heard literally no one saying Duke has a P2 spot.
03-26-2024 11:40 AM
Advertisement

Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
Big if true.

But this is The Monty Show, which I don't trust yet with this type of information. He says in the video that they would only target Duke in the ACC, and that seems far-fetched to me. We're talking about a private school smaller than Appalachian State, located in the same market as at least one probable SEC/Big Ten team (UNC and maybe NC State). If you're going to choose one ACC member to go after...why that one?

If a more well-known reporter says it, I'll take it seriously, but this would be a desperate move to get what would be the 2nd- or 3rd-best program (depending on what happens to NC State) in a single market when the Big Ten/SEC money kicks in.

Edit: If you keep watching the video, he eventually says "I have no doubt in my mind that the Big 12 is looking at Louisville", as an opinion, then the title changes to "The Big 12 is aggressively chasing multiple ACC teams", then says he thinks the Big 12 is talking to every ACC school. This all seems like (changing) thoughts and opinions floated as facts, which is the issue I have with that channel.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024 12:32 PM by Yosef181.)
03-26-2024 11:50 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Yormark might like the idea, but seriously doubt he could get the necessary 75% support within the conference for that kind of addition--in fact, Im skeptical if he could even get a simple majority to support that idea.
03-26-2024 11:54 AM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(03-26-2024 11:40 AM)jgkojak Wrote:  

I just don't see the value any of these add - other than UConn, and even UConn is really a non factor in football.

Pitt and Va Tech have existing rivalries with WV and are within 2 hours of other B12 programs (Cinci). Louisville is a powerhouse on paper. Ga Tech is AAU and brings metro Atlanta. NC State brings enough of a market plus decent BB and FB.

I don't disagree with your points. I would summarize the strategy as compete and own your niche. Be where others aren't. There are lot of people in the Northeast and not a lot of college football penetration. There is value there, but it needs to be mined.

The B1G's direct northeastern presence is limited Maryland/Rutgers/Penn State (debatable). The SEC has no presence north of Kentucky. Both of those conferences are interested in eastern properties but not Northeastern properties. The B1G/SEC's assumed top targets for realignment (in no order) are:

Notre Dame
FSU
Clemson
North Carolina
NC State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Miami
Georgia Tech

None of the northeastern schools are assumed to be on this list. So where do they go?

The Big 12 could make push to own that market. The Big 12 will have sole control over Utah/Arizona/Colorado/Kansas/West Virginia. With northeastern additions, they would have sole control over Connecticut and Massachusetts with a presence in New York. Good markets for the Big 12 product without huge competition from the B1G and SEC. The Big 12's assumed targets are teams like Louisville/Pitt/VT who would all share markets with SEC/B1G teams, but come with the cultural benefits of historical ties to Cincy and West Virginia. Those programs are all decent brands that would fit in the Big 12 profile and be hoops additive or football neutral/additive. They would add rivalries to the conference inventory for networks and in era that has increasing emphasis on brands and synergy, they will find themselves in an attractive and marketable setup compared to a market play in the Northeast.

I think the ""Northeastern path" is unlikely to emerge for the Big 12 but I do think the ACC will pursue that path with UConn. For the Big 12, it is higher risk play, spreads the conference out further, dilutes the football branding, but enhances the basketball profile with UConn and opens up a hoops hungry region for the Big 12. There are enough positive factors that I could see it being an "on-paper" option even if it gets voted down to not be further explored.
03-26-2024 11:59 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I don't think BC has any value for the Big 12.

Of the schools likely to be available:

1. Pitt
2. UL
3. NCSU/Duke
4. UVa
5. VaTech
6. GaTech
7. 'Cuse
8. UConn
9. WF/USF
10. BC

So, those top 8, and if one is not available from that top 8, only then would BC/WF get looked at. Likely, USF has an in as well comparatively speaking. I do think it makes more sense for ESPN to just swap UC/UCF with Stanford/Cal, but not sure the Big 12 presidents and/or the Bay schools would agree to this.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024 12:05 PM by RUScarlets.)
03-26-2024 12:03 PM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(03-26-2024 11:35 AM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  I could see a North east push for Syracuse, BC, and UConn. I don't think it would be successful with the presidents.

If Yappy wants this expansion but can't get it rubbed-stamped by the presidents, than he's failed as a salesmen.

Wake seems like (and probably should be) a non-starter.

But UConn and Cuse are 100% Big XXIV-worthy -- and if the commish believes BC brings value as a big-market throw-in, so be it
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024 12:05 PM by PeteTheChop.)
03-26-2024 12:05 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
XII chances with ACC schools (presuming the ACC bleeds members):

0% - Will be in B1G or SEC. Waste of paper for the XII to offer.
- Florida St
- North Carolina
- Notre Dame
- Virginia

20% - Great chance to be in B1G or SEC. The XII should wait until everything unfolds then offer a full share.
- Clemson
- Miami

40% - Good chance to be in B1G or SEC. The XII could wait until everything unfolds or be proactive but could/should offer a full share.
- Duke
- North Carolina St
- Virginia Tech

60% - Okay chance to be in B1G or SEC. Same as above but definitely not first choices and maybe not full shares up front.
- Georgia Tech
- Stanford

80% - Slight chance to be in B1G or SEC. Louisville and Pittsburgh are "full share" kind of schools but no need to make an offer yet if the 20%/40% schools are still available. California may likely reject any offer from the XII.
- California
- Louisville
- Pittsburgh

100% - Neither B1G or SEC will be calling. There is no need for the XII to call these schools with a very outside possibility of Syracuse. There are non-power schools that could/would be better additions. Even then, a full share should not be offered.
- Boston College
- SMU
- Syracuse
- Wake Forest

-----------------------

How I see this all playing out if decisions were made today:

B1G and SEC like additions beyond 20 but not to 24 so both settle in at 22. The SEC reaches into the XII for one school.
> B1G (18) + Duke, Miami, Stanford, Virginia
> SEC (16) + Clemson, Florida St, Kansas, North Carolina, North Carolina St, Virginia Tech
> Notre Dame decides to remain an independent and join the Big East.

Now, the XII (15) and ACC (8) have some decisions to make.
> The XII raids the ACC and adds: Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pittsburgh. The XII sits at 18.
> The Big East (12) adds: Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest. All become football independents.
> MWC adds Oregon St, SMU, and Washington St as full members. California joins the Big West as #12 and the MWC as a football-only member. The MWC is now at 14/16.

Alignments for conferences mentioned above:

B1G: Duke, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio St, Oregon, Penn St, Purdue, Rutgers, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin

SEC: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida St, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Missouri, North Carolina, North Carolina St, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech

XII: Arizona, Arizona St, Baylor, BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Houston, Iowa St, Kansas St, Louisville, Oklahoma St, Pittsburgh, TCU, Texas Tech, Utah, West Virginia

Big East: Boston College^, Butler, Connecticut^, Creighton, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Notre Dame^, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Syracuse^, Villanova, Wake Forest^, Xavier

MWC: Air Force, Boise St, California*, Colorado St, Fresno St, Hawaii*, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon St, San Diego St, San Jose St, SMU, UNLV, Utah St, Washington St, Wyoming

Big West: California, Cal Poly, Cal State Bakersfield, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Northridge, Hawaii, Long Beach St, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara

* Football-Only
^ FBS Football Independent
03-26-2024 12:13 PM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
I’ve been saying this for a while now when people talk about everyone leaving the ACC. As long as Yormark is in charge Duke will have a spot in the Big 12 if they don’t get into the P2. Duke/Kansas/Arizona as the top basketball brands? And maybe UConn? Yormark would be all over that.

However I don’t think enough schools will get out of the ACC and into the P2 to justify a move from the ACC to Big 12.
03-26-2024 12:31 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Somebody in Irving better pull the fire alarm!

Yormark: okay, presidents of Texas football centric schools, I pitch to you.... UConn!!!!

Big XII Presidents:

[Image: dyi7z.jpg]

Yormark: okay, okay, just kidding. I mean.... DOOK!!!!!!

Big XII presidents:

[Image: p3uc2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024 12:44 PM by esayem.)
03-26-2024 12:43 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(03-26-2024 11:23 AM)jgkojak Wrote:  Wow - that is not gonna happen. Duke is going to B1G with UNC or SEC - they have no reason to even consider B12.

But I applaud the reach.

ACC teams off the table:

ACC teams we don't want:

Why is Duke a better candidate than Kansas?

Both are AAU
2 of the 5 basketball blue bloods
Kansas is a flagship and brings a new State, Duke is a tiny private
both have no presence in football historically but are taking it more seriously now

Duke makes sense if you put more weight on Academics and Research due to their T1 status, but if it's a solely athletics decision, based upon everything that both schools would bring, then both of the P2 would prefer Kansas. And, as we saw with Oregon getting into the B1G and Stanford getting the stiffarm, Athletics is what matters.

Kansas' presence in the big 12, combined with the recent addition of the 4c and the overall great basketball there, probably turns the Big 12 from "no chance" to "we'd go there if the P2 aren't interested and the ACC spirals" for Duke's decision makers.
03-26-2024 12:48 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
(03-26-2024 12:43 PM)esayem Wrote:  Somebody in Irving better pull the fire alarm!

Yormark: okay, presidents of Texas football centric schools, I pitch to you.... UConn!!!!

Big XII Presidents:

Yormark: okay, okay, just kidding. I mean.... DOOK!!!!!!

Big XII presidents:

You have the images reversed... UConn gets laughed out of the building ever since they picked up the 4C. Duke would get some hesitancy, although it depends on who else would be coming along with them. VaTech/NCSU are more attractive.
03-26-2024 12:50 PM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(03-26-2024 11:50 AM)Yosef181 Wrote:  Big if true.

But this is The Monty Show, which I don't trust yet with this type of information. He says in the video that they would only target Duke in the ACC, and that seems far-fetched to me. We're talking about a private school smaller than Appalachian State, located in the same market as at least one probable SEC/Big Ten team (UNC and maybe NC State). If you're going to choose one ACC member to go after...why that one?

If a more well-known reporter says it, I'll take it seriously, but this would be a desperate move to get what would be the 2nd- or 3rd-best program (depending on what happens to NC State) in a single market when the Big Ten/SEC money kicks in.

Edit: If you keep watching the video, he eventually says "I have no doubt in my mind that the Big 12 is looking at Louisville", as an opinion, then the title changes to "The Big 12 is aggressively chasing multiple ACC teams", then says he thinks the Big 12 is talking to every ACC school. This all seems like (changing) thoughts and opinions floated as facts, which is the issue I have with that channel.

Monty is weird, he's blustery and turns a lot of people off with his delivery, but he had a lot of information on the Pac that ultimately proved to be correct. He has good sources at Utah and BYU, though I'm unsure how either of them would have known that Yormark was talking to Duke. He's also a charismatic dude with a good resume, he's probably cultivated some relationships in the Big 12 office over the past year, too. It appears that he heard something specific about Duke, and he looked at the overall situation and was simply speculating about Louisville. And, let's face it, Louisville would be the #1 pick for the Big 12 out of the ACC schools that will end up being available to them, so it wasn't much of a stretch to speculate on that.

I would file this under "for future reference", and we can see in the coming years if anything comes of it.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2024 12:56 PM by bryanw1995.)
03-26-2024 12:54 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Wait, has Florida St and Clemson left the ACC yet?
03-26-2024 12:56 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-26-2024 11:40 AM)jgkojak Wrote:  

Just to clarify- Pitt is two hours from WVU but it’s 4.5-5.0 hours from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati (depending on how much led is in your foot).
03-26-2024 01:00 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
(03-26-2024 11:15 AM)1Dukie Wrote:  https://larrybrownsports.com/college-bas...acc/630616

Duke and Gonzaga to from the premeir basketball conference.

Somewhat early for an April’s fool joke, and I’m intrigued by the “Larry Brown Sports” link.

To decimate any opportunity for rebuilding the ACC, the B1G and SEC have to expand to at least 24 teams each and specifically target ACC programs.

B1G - ND, Miami, Pitt, Stanford, Cal & ???
SEC - FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, NCS, VT, UVa & ???

This still leaves six ACC programs without homes (Duke, WFU, BC, Syracuse, Louisville & SMU). Seems like a wild scenario.
03-26-2024 01:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.