Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Engineering Dean Out
Bookmark and Share
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Engineering Dean Out
Blade: The dean of the University of Toledo’s College of Engineering has resigned following a Title IX investigation.

T. Michael Toole resigned Monday, said UT spokesman Meghan Cunningham.

“The University of Toledo is committed to maintaining a safe and welcoming campus environment for everyone, and we expect our leaders to adhere to the highest standards,” Ms. Cunningham said. “We take all reports of harassment seriously and investigate and act in accordance with the law.”
03-20-2024 11:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Engineering Dean Out
Uhhhg the bad hits keep coming. First Campus Polleyes closes. Then an on-campus shooting takes place. All this after our basketball teams **** the bed. UT desperately needs some positive momentum, where are the donors willing to step up and make a difference?!
03-20-2024 11:14 AM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
(03-20-2024 11:14 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Uhhhg the bad hits keep coming. First Campus Polleyes closes. Then an on-campus shooting takes place. All this after our basketball teams **** the bed. UT desperately needs some positive momentum, where are the donors willing to step up and make a difference?!

I’m confused. What do donors have to do with a dean being investigated for harassment? Better planning would have helped prevent some of drop in enrollment and possibly prevent a business like Polleyes from closing. Toledo is the university that has made poor business decisions. I’m not sure donors or lack of donors are responsible for that. Universities are businesses.
03-20-2024 11:38 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

The dean being investigated for sexual harassment brings embarrassment and shame to our University. It’s depressing. A donor stepping up and donating millions of dollars would shine a positive light on UT. I’m just looking for some positive news regarding UT after weeks of negative news. Life needs balance. That’s my point.
03-20-2024 11:58 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(03-20-2024 11:58 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  The dean being investigated for sexual harassment brings embarrassment and shame to our University. It’s depressing. A donor stepping up and donating millions of dollars would shine a positive light on UT. I’m just looking for some positive news regarding UT after weeks of negative news. Life needs balance. That’s my point.

04-bow
03-20-2024 01:36 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(03-20-2024 11:14 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Uhhhg the bad hits keep coming. First Campus Polleyes closes. Then an on-campus shooting takes place. All this after our basketball teams **** the bed. UT desperately needs some positive momentum, where are the donors willing to step up and make a difference?!

"on-campus shooting"???????
03-20-2024 01:36 PM
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2024 01:36 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Happened at 2am on Saturday on Dorr St, 1 person hospitalized. Right in front of 2 of the only 4 or 5 college bars our students can go to. Right in front of that fraternity house. Right across from Chasers. You know how many times I made that walk as a student with no worry at all? Technically might not be deemed “on campus” but I’m not going to beat around the bush here…that’s on campus. Makes me sick to my stomach.

https://www.13abc.com/2024/03/16/person-...utType=amp
03-20-2024 02:21 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(03-20-2024 02:21 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

Happened at 2am on Saturday on Dorr St, 1 person hospitalized. Right in front of 2 of the only 4 or 5 college bars our students can go to. Right in front of that fraternity house. Right across from Chasers. You know how many times I made that walk as a student with no worry at all? Technically might not be deemed “on campus” but I’m not going to beat around the bush here…that’s on campus. Makes me sick to my stomach.

I get your view on this, but I do think we need to be very careful in posting crimes that occurred near UT main campus as being "on campus" as it presents a much different view and concern regarding safety of students living on campus and going to class as it only feeds into a false narrative (one often used in-directly by BGSU recruiters) that the UT campus itself is unsafe. Plus nothing that UT or UTPD can do to address crimes including shootings that are not on campus.

Door near Reynolds is not "on-campus" nor are crimes that occur in west Toledo, downtown or other locations students go to or even where thousands live off campus near UT and areas miles away.

We have repeated discussions here about recruitment and enrollment challenges at UT, complaining about past decisions made and actions taken that have not resulted in addressing the decline of students..but also good ideas and suggestions from many including alumni and Rocket sports fans how UT can and needs to be better...posting crimes as occurring "on campus" is not helpful at all to those efforts or contributions to ideas to improve campus, curriculum and other positive aspects to grow enrollment.

Lets do better.
03-20-2024 02:52 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Geesh, what is it with these folks. I've me O'Toole and he seemed like an ok guy, but just goes to show you never know.
03-20-2024 03:35 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-20-2024 02:52 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  

I get your view on this, but I do think we need to be very careful in posting crimes that occurred near UT main campus as being "on campus" as it presents a much different view and concern regarding safety of students living on campus and going to class as it only feeds into a false narrative (one often used in-directly by BGSU recruiters) that the UT campus itself is unsafe. Plus nothing that UT or UTPD can do to address crimes including shootings that are not on campus.

Door near Reynolds is not "on-campus" nor are crimes that occur in west Toledo, downtown or other locations students go to or even where thousands live off campus near UT and areas miles away.

We have repeated discussions here about recruitment and enrollment challenges at UT, complaining about past decisions made and actions taken that have not resulted in addressing the decline of students..but also good ideas and suggestions from many including alumni and Rocket sports fans how UT can and needs to be better...posting crimes as occurring "on campus" is not helpful at all to those efforts or contributions to ideas to improve campus, curriculum and other positive aspects to grow enrollment.

Lets do better.

Looks like the Blade has edited their story to delete false statements.
03-20-2024 07:48 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(03-20-2024 02:52 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  I get your view on this, but I do think we need to be very careful in posting crimes that occurred near UT main campus as being "on campus" as it presents a much different view and concern regarding safety of students living on campus and going to class as it only feeds into a false narrative (one often used in-directly by BGSU recruiters) that the UT campus itself is unsafe. Plus nothing that UT or UTPD can do to address crimes including shootings that are not on campus.

Lets do better.

I appreciate you speaking out and sticking up for our University. That's why we're all here. Usually I always have a pro-UT, pro-Toledo agenda, sometimes I think I'm even over the top a bit. I thought this was a safe space to discuss some serious concerns that I have right now.

In a perfect world, UT buys up all that land on Dorr St. from Chasers all the way down to the Edge apartments, including the neighborhood behind engineering. Could clean it up right now by getting rid of the damn plasma donation center right across from campus, it attracts people that college students want no part of as their college experience.
03-20-2024 08:29 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-20-2024 02:52 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Lets do better.

This location is quite a distance from Reynolds. Did you mean to say Byrne.?
03-21-2024 07:49 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-20-2024 08:29 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(03-20-2024 02:52 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  I get your view on this, but I do think we need to be very careful in posting crimes that occurred near UT main campus as being "on campus" as it presents a much different view and concern regarding safety of students living on campus and going to class as it only feeds into a false narrative (one often used in-directly by BGSU recruiters) that the UT campus itself is unsafe. Plus nothing that UT or UTPD can do to address crimes including shootings that are not on campus.

Lets do better.

I appreciate you speaking out and sticking up for our University. That's why we're all here. Usually I always have a pro-UT, pro-Toledo agenda, sometimes I think I'm even over the top a bit. I thought this was a safe space to discuss some serious concerns that I have right now.

In a perfect world, UT buys up all that land on Dorr St. from Chasers all the way down to the Edge apartments, including the neighborhood behind engineering. Could clean it up right now by getting rid of the damn plasma donation center right across from campus, it attracts people that college students want no part of as their college experience.

The fact that the establishment where the shooting occurred is a Dispensary is also not lost on me...lots of businesses and vendors near campus that bring a bad crowd around students. Unfortunately, without the City stepping in at this point there is nothing that can be done.
03-21-2024 08:16 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(03-21-2024 08:16 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  The fact that the establishment where the shooting occurred is a Dispensary is also not lost on me...lots of businesses and vendors near campus that bring a bad crowd around students. Unfortunately, without the City stepping in at this point there is nothing that can be done.

The former Jed’s bar is a dispensary now???? Did not know that. I’m also hearing that the Campus Polleyes building is turning into a liquor store….praying to God that’s not true. The rats will be out in full force all around campus. That Dorr St. corridor surrounding campus should be built up much like the Westgate area on Central Ave. & Secor. Our University attracts bright and educated students from all around the world….why wouldn’t you want the best for that area?? I swear complete idiots and morons run this city.

Whatever happened to the intramural and rec fields that were supposed to be built for our students next to the police station??
03-21-2024 10:09 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-21-2024 10:09 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  
(03-21-2024 08:16 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  The fact that the establishment where the shooting occurred is a Dispensary is also not lost on me...lots of businesses and vendors near campus that bring a bad crowd around students. Unfortunately, without the City stepping in at this point there is nothing that can be done.

The former Jed’s bar is a dispensary now???? Did not know that. I’m also hearing that the Campus Polleyes building is turning into a liquor store….praying to God that’s not true. The rats will be out in full force all around campus. That Dorr St. corridor surrounding campus should be built up much like the Westgate area on Central Ave. & Secor. Our University attracts bright and educated students from all around the world….why wouldn’t you want the best for that area?? I swear complete idiots and morons run this city.

Whatever happened to the intramural and rec fields that were supposed to be built for our students next to the police station??

Never happened. IMO it was a stupid idea. Couldn't see students going over there. You would think that with a UT police/highway patrol station there it would be quite safe. The Blade crime map shows 2 thefts in the general Dorr/Secor area in the last week, FWIW.
03-21-2024 10:27 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

(03-21-2024 08:16 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Lets do better.

The fact that the establishment where the shooting occurred is a Dispensary is also not lost on me...lots of businesses and vendors near campus that bring a bad crowd around students. Unfortunately, without the City stepping in at this point there is nothing that can be done.

Not comfortable with Dispensaries or liquor stores near me or UT. They should be located in large strip malls away from homes, etc. Never a good place to locate these places. I did not know that building had been converted to a weed store. Might as well call it a weed store if we call them liquor stores. Bad situations can happen anywhere. More vigilance. UT and city need more and more cooperation not less.
03-21-2024 10:41 AM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

Lets do better.

There are serious issues facing UT on the budget and enrollment issues-I agree 100% with that...and many areas around main campus (and UTMC) face serious crime problems...but those occur at many other colleges in OH and US (including BGSU)..and I have no problem with people raising those concerns..but its not fair or accurate to refer to crimes blocks away from main campus as "shooting on main campus" as that only feeds into a narrative and driven by others, including other colleges in MI and OH that UT main campus is full of crime when the data (mandated reported to fed gov) does not show that to be case.

I live within several blocks of UT, worked on main campus for 25+ years, my kids went to school, lived near UT (including on and off campus), and graduated in recent years from UT..so I am very well of the concern of local crime..but have never viewed or experienced main campus and many areas of housing/businesses near main campus as major crime centers..but also very well aware of places and times (very little good happens at 3am) one needs to exercise caution and awareness of situation and ones surroundings on and near UT main campus--same to what I would expect at many other urban areas and colleges located there.
03-21-2024 01:38 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

(03-21-2024 01:38 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Lets do better.

There are serious issues facing UT on the budget and enrollment issues-I agree 100% with that...and many areas around main campus (and UTMC) face serious crime problems...but those occur at many other colleges in OH and US (including BGSU)..and I have no problem with people raising those concerns..but its not fair or accurate to refer to crimes blocks away from main campus as "shooting on main campus" as that only feeds into a narrative and driven by others, including other colleges in MI and OH that UT main campus is full of crime when the data (mandated reported to fed gov) does not show that to be case.

I live within several blocks of UT, worked on main campus for 25+ years, my kids went to school, lived near UT (including on and off campus), and graduated in recent years from UT..so I am very well of the concern of local crime..but have never viewed or experienced main campus and many areas of housing/businesses near main campus as major crime centers..but also very well aware of places and times (very little good happens at 3am) one needs to exercise caution and awareness of situation and ones surroundings on and near UT main campus--same to what I would expect at many other urban areas and colleges located there.

PaulJ - share your exact sentiments. I live at Secor/Bancroft/Indian and feel 100% safe. In fact there has never been a break-in during my 20 years in the neighborhood. However, vigilance is always necessary to keep the hood and campus safe. By and large I believe it is a very safe environment not just for an urban campus but for living standards in general. I am very proud of my OH/OO/UT/BH neighborhood areas.
03-21-2024 02:53 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-20-2024 11:07 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Blade: The dean of the University of Toledo’s College of Engineering has resigned following a Title IX investigation.

T. Michael Toole resigned Monday, said UT spokesman Meghan Cunningham.

“The University of Toledo is committed to maintaining a safe and welcoming campus environment for everyone, and we expect our leaders to adhere to the highest standards,” Ms. Cunningham said. “We take all reports of harassment seriously and investigate and act in accordance with the law.”

UT News now says the "incident" involved a colleague.
03-22-2024 05:48 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(03-21-2024 02:53 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  
(03-21-2024 01:38 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Lets do better.

PaulJ - share your exact sentiments. I live at Secor/Bancroft/Indian and feel 100% safe. In fact there has never been a break-in during my 20 years in the neighborhood. However, vigilance is always necessary to keep the hood and campus safe. By and large I believe it is a very safe environment not just for an urban campus but for living standards in general. I am very proud of my OH/OO/UT/BH neighborhood areas.

Agree 100% with the need for City leaders and TPD to be aware of crime in neighborhoods including around main campus and UTMC (that area also has issues) with hundreds of UT students living in those areas-and of course other areas in the City. And I appreciate all the efforts by UTPD to patrol and respond to calls on main campus as needed, as someone on main campus frequently (including evenings, holidays and weekends) I see them on the campus roads and in parking lots very often.
03-24-2024 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.