Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

8pm WBB selection show
Bookmark and Share
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
8pm WBB selection show
BY RPI #38 (no sorting NET tool) @ToledoWBB:

Wins: #63 by 11, #101 by 15, #65 by 23, #71 by 11, #56 by 22, #71 by 12.

Losses: #13 by 21, #100 by 11, #22 by 25, #56 by 14, #138 by 3.

Slim chance, but a chance nonetheless.
03-17-2024 02:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
RE: 8pm WBB selection show
N O chance. Sorry.
03-17-2024 03:17 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Yeah, no, not a chance. NETs are here:
https://stats.ncaa.org/selection_ranking...mit=Submit

After taking away the auto qualifiers, if you fill in the rest purely by NET, the last in is Auburn at 45. Toledo has NET 67.

The only teams above Auburn at risk of being overlooked are Arizona (17-15) and Washington (16-14), and they both have top 20 SOS, so likely still get in. Everyone else is a shoe in.

Between Auburn and Toledo are:

TCU, Miss St, Michigan, Illinois, Miami FL, Villanova, Vanderbilt, Columbia, Oklahoma St, Cal, Florida, Virginia, St. Joe's, George Mason, Seton Hall & Minnesota.

Of those, the only teams UT beats out for sure are Illinois (14-15), Oklahoma St (14-16), Virginia (15-15). Possibly George Mason, Florida & Minnesota. That still leaves 10 teams ahead of UT and the NCAA would probably get sued by the name leagues if they took UT over any of those schools.
03-17-2024 03:41 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2024 03:41 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Yeah, no, not a chance. NETs are here:

After taking away the auto qualifiers, if you fill in the rest purely by NET, the last in is Auburn at 45. Toledo has NET 67.

The only teams above Auburn at risk of being overlooked are Arizona (17-15) and Washington (16-14), and they both have top 20 SOS, so likely still get in. Everyone else is a shoe in.

TCU, Miss St, Michigan, Illinois, Miami FL, Villanova, Vanderbilt, Columbia, Oklahoma St, Cal, Florida, Virginia, St. Joe's, George Mason, Seton Hall & Minnesota.

Of those, the only teams UT beats out for sure are Illinois (14-15), Oklahoma St (14-16), Virginia (15-15). Possibly George Mason, Florida & Minnesota. That still leaves 10 teams ahead of UT and the NCAA would probably get sued by the name leagues if they took UT over any of those schools.
They do not only use NET. It's a sorting tool and actually prefer the quad system from the NET over total score.
No real bad losses. 2 very good wins. Lots of decent wins like KSU x2, SMU, UB, NDSU etc.
03-17-2024 04:08 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

You just can't tell me Michigan is solidly in the field and that UT wouldn't have a similar or better record in that league. We wouldn't lose many at home and could easily push around the bottom of that league. During the 14 game win streak our average margin of victory was 20 pts.
03-17-2024 04:10 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

UofT, I think we all get it. There's no question they deserve to be in, just like several other teams in recent years. But it's just not going to happen. The MAC is not seen as a good conference...it's a one-bid league historically.
03-17-2024 04:11 PM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(03-17-2024 04:10 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  You just can't tell me Michigan is solidly in the field...

Sure I can.

They have wins over Ohio State and Indiana.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2024 04:18 PM by Redwingtom.)
03-17-2024 04:13 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2024 04:13 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 04:10 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  You just can't tell me Michigan is solidly in the field...

Sure I can.

And if you hold 1 game of proof of Toledo and Michigan's schedule, UT also beats OSU and Indiana. By a lot maybe. We just don't get the chances. Michigan would get pounded by Gonzaga and Duke and likely Ball State in their arena. Have losses equal or worse than that to Cincy, and UB.

There's been 3 or 4 times in the past decade the MAC was a 2 bid league. It's not the men. And although overall quality is down, the top 2 teams have at large resumes with very good worst losses, and some Power wins.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2024 04:22 PM by UofToledoFans.)
03-17-2024 04:21 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(03-17-2024 04:21 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

Sure I can.

And if you hold 1 game of proof of Toledo and Michigan's schedule, UT also beats OSU and Indiana. By a lot maybe..

Dude, stop. You can't use the transitive property. That's just silly.
03-17-2024 04:34 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2024 04:08 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 03:41 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Yeah, no, not a chance. NETs are here:

They do not only use NET. It's a sorting tool and actually prefer the quad system from the NET over total score.
No real bad losses. 2 very good wins. Lots of decent wins like KSU x2, SMU, UB, NDSU etc.

Please understand the quad system is ONLY used by the Men. The women do not use that. You keep referring to the quad system when talking WBB and they do not use that. They don't. Look at the Nitty-Gritty pages - the MBB ones sort games by quads, the WBB ones don't.

For WBB they do give weight to top 25, top 50 and top 100 wins and penalize bottom 150 losses, but that is ONLY after sorting by NET, so if you are 10-15 teams away from making it by NET, you are NOT going to get in ahead of the teams ahead of you unless you have beaten South Carolina, Stanford and Notre Dame (for example) ... and if you did that, you will already be in by your NET ranking - like Gonzaga is.

Note that Toledo has 2 top 100 wins this year. Two. Just two. Of the teams ahead of them for at-large bids, all have at least 4 top 100 wins, most have between 7 and 12 top 100 wins. Toledo has 1 bad loss. Most of the teams ahead of UT have 0 bad losses.

Again, I have reported this like 6 times here, but last year, Columbia had 7 top 100 wins and 2 top 50 wins, were well within the NET sorting to make it, and the NCAA STILL SELECTED P6 teams with worse resume's over them.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2024 04:38 PM by northcoastRocket.)
03-17-2024 04:34 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2024 04:34 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  

Please understand the quad system is ONLY used by the Men. The women do not use that. You keep referring to the quad system when talking WBB and they do not use that. They don't. Look at the Nitty-Gritty pages - the MBB ones sort games by quads, the WBB ones don't.

For WBB they do give weight to top 25, top 50 and top 100 wins and penalize bottom 150 losses, but that is ONLY after sorting by NET, so if you are 10-15 teams away from making it by NET, you are NOT going to get in ahead of the teams ahead of you unless you have beaten South Carolina, Stanford and Notre Dame (for example) ... and if you did that, you will already be in by your NET ranking - like Gonzaga is.

Note that Toledo has 2 top 100 wins this year. Two. Just two. Of the teams ahead of them for at-large bids, all have at least 4 top 100 wins, most have between 7 and 12 top 100 wins. Toledo has 1 bad loss. Most of the teams ahead of UT have 0 bad losses.

Again, I have reported this like 6 times here, but last year, Columbia had 7 top 100 wins and 2 top 50 wins, were well within the NET sorting to make it, and the NCAA STILL SELECTED P6 teams with worse resume's over them.
Then Tricia Cullop is totally correct. Why can't we call out the system for being bull? The system not 5 years ago used a metric (RPI) which had Toledo in the conversation as this season stands. Now all of the sudden we are 10 spots out? If we won the MAC the NET would have gone up 2 spots? You know how effing mad that would make another 5 seed like Iowa State to Play a team by RPI only a couple spots behind them? It doesn't make sense. The NET sucks eggs for women in particular as the top 5 teams in the nation are 20 points better than the next couple seed lines. If you play those 5 teams in your league you get a WHALE of help just by playing teams no one has a chance to beat.
03-17-2024 04:46 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2024 04:34 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

Sure I can.

And if you hold 1 game of proof of Toledo and Michigan's schedule, UT also beats OSU and Indiana. By a lot maybe..

Michigan and Toledo have little to compare besides their 1 game the past 2 seasons. To say Toledo would be competitive in the B1G isn't a fricking stretch dude. We outdraw most of that league as it stands. We would have 7300 8x a season if they came into our building. For the women that matters as far as winning games in a make-believe conference. We pounded the MAC at home. Transitive property is all you have when directly comparing 2 teams that are near quality. I think Toledo is better than Michigan. Similar at least. RPI agrees. NET doesn't.

NET is bogus.
03-17-2024 04:50 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
(03-17-2024 04:50 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

Sure I can.

Michigan and Toledo have little to compare besides their 1 game the past 2 seasons. To say Toledo would be competitive in the B1G isn't a fricking stretch dude. We outdraw most of that league as it stands. We would have 7300 8x a season if they came into our building. For the women that matters as far as winning games in a make-believe conference. We pounded the MAC at home. Transitive property is all you have when directly comparing 2 teams that are near quality. I think Toledo is better than Michigan. Similar at least. RPI agrees. NET doesn't.

NET is bogus.

It would take several years of great recruiting classes for us to be competitive in the Big 10. Not saying we wouldn’t knock off a couple of schools but our days of winning 20 plus games a season would end.
03-17-2024 05:07 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2024 04:46 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

Then Tricia Cullop is totally correct. Why can't we call out the system for being bull? The system not 5 years ago used a metric (RPI) which had Toledo in the conversation as this season stands. Now all of the sudden we are 10 spots out? If we won the MAC the NET would have gone up 2 spots? You know how effing mad that would make another 5 seed like Iowa State to Play a team by RPI only a couple spots behind them? It doesn't make sense. The NET sucks eggs for women in particular as the top 5 teams in the nation are 20 points better than the next couple seed lines. If you play those 5 teams in your league you get a WHALE of help just by playing teams no one has a chance to beat.

Yep, now you are getting it. I am convinced that the NCAA developed NET specifically because RPI was letting too many non-P6 teams into the tournament. Remember, the tourney is big dollars and the P6s want all of that money all to themselves. Just recently someone from the SEC was quoted as saying that it's time to stop giving auto-bids, because it was keeping the bottom-level SEC teams our of the tournament.

Look at the numbers. This year, of the top 68 NET teams, only 14 are non-P6s. That means that 68% of P6 teams are in that top 68, but only 5% of non-P6s. And as a non-P6, you have to be pretty darn near perfect even to get that, as those 14 teams had a combined win percentage of 0.853, while the P6s, only 0.695.

That's why you get a team like Minnesota in the top 68 which was 5-13 in the big 10 with many of those losses by 15-20+ points. Heck Toledo or Ball State could lose to Iowa by 20 just as easily as Minnesota did, in which case they would get credit for that in NET, but since they can't get 16-20 games a year against those teams, the mid-majors cannot hope to get a high NET ranking for the most part.

Of course, the biggest problem is that so many MAC teams schedule cupcake OOC schedules so their teams can win some games. That would have be beneficial under RPI, but it hurts the conference overall under NET, because then the few top teams end up playing lousy schedules.

I fully expect that within the next 5 years or so, there will be a proposal where the tourney includes every B10, SEC and B12 team and the top 10 teams from the other Ps as autobids. The remaining 5-10 slots will be graciously given to the mid-majors, as long as the mid-majors only get 15/16 seeds.
03-17-2024 05:14 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2024 05:07 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 04:13 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Sure I can.

NET is bogus.

It would take several years of great recruiting classes for us to be competitive in the Big 10. Not saying we wouldn’t knock off a couple of schools but our days of winning 20 plus games a season would end.

Of course in the long run. This years team is maybe the best we have ever had with 2 POYs and a senior laden squad capable of beating B1G semifinalists by 23 as our only data point. This year I think we could have made the finals or beaten the Buckeyes. If Michigan can with that many shots at those caliber teams why couldn't we? I watched like 10 Michigan games this year. Only one of those they actually impressed me. Ball State could also be competitive in that league if they shot well.

We draw over 4k for the MAC teams on the schedule. Imagine the sell outs for a B1G schedule. It'd lead to wins for sure. Even our poorer teams would draw better than Michigan does for their run of the mill 22-12 teams. Our fanbase is that special.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2024 05:17 PM by UofToledoFans.)
03-17-2024 05:14 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2024 05:14 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 04:46 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  

Yep, now you are getting it. I am convinced that the NCAA developed NET specifically because RPI was letting too many non-P6 teams into the tournament. Remember, the tourney is big dollars and the P6s want all of that money all to themselves. Just recently someone from the SEC was quoted as saying that it's time to stop giving auto-bids, because it was keeping the bottom-level SEC teams our of the tournament.

Look at the numbers. This year, of the top 68 NET teams, only 14 are non-P6s. That means that 68% of P6 teams are in that top 68, but only 5% of non-P6s. And as a non-P6, you have to be pretty darn near perfect even to get that, as those 14 teams had a combined win percentage of 0.853, while the P6s, only 0.695.

That's why you get a team like Minnesota in the top 68 which was 5-13 in the big 10 with many of those losses by 15-20+ points. Heck Toledo or Ball State could lose to Iowa by 20 just as easily as Minnesota did, in which case they would get credit for that in NET, but since they can't get 16-20 games a year against those teams, the mid-majors cannot hope to get a high NET ranking for the most part.

Of course, the biggest problem is that so many MAC teams schedule cupcake OOC schedules so their teams can win some games. That would have be beneficial under RPI, but it hurts the conference overall under NET, because then the few top teams end up playing lousy schedules.

I fully expect that within the next 5 years or so, there will be a proposal where the tourney includes every B10, SEC and B12 team and the top 10 teams from the other Ps as autobids. The remaining 5-10 slots will be graciously given to the mid-majors, as long as the mid-majors only get 15/16 seeds.

I get it, you get it. The petition needs to be louder to call out the committee. It's a travesty and it's only punishing our great fans and fans of schools a like with no hope and little reward for their following of the sport.
03-17-2024 05:20 PM
Advertisement

Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

(03-17-2024 05:14 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 04:21 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  And if you hold 1 game of proof of Toledo and Michigan's schedule, UT also beats OSU and Indiana. By a lot maybe..

NET is bogus.

Of course in the long run. This years team is maybe the best we have ever had with 2 POYs and a senior laden squad capable of beating B1G semifinalists by 23 as our only data point. This year I think we could have made the finals or beaten the Buckeyes. If Michigan can with that many shots at those caliber teams why couldn't we. I watched like 10 Michigan games this year. Only one of those they actually impressed me. Ball State could also be competitive in that league if they shot well.

This year? We would’ve been lucky to go .500. Garcia wouldn’t be able to start because of height. Noveroske and Cook would’ve been manhandled weekly against Big 10 competition.

It’s one thing to steal a win or two a season. It’s another to face that level of competition on a weekly basis. I’m all for wishful thinking but you’re thinking too much with your heart and not the head
03-17-2024 05:21 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2024 05:21 PM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 05:14 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 04:34 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Dude, stop. You can't use the transitive property. That's just silly.

NET is bogus.

Of course in the long run. This years team is maybe the best we have ever had with 2 POYs and a senior laden squad capable of beating B1G semifinalists by 23 as our only data point. This year I think we could have made the finals or beaten the Buckeyes. If Michigan can with that many shots at those caliber teams why couldn't we. I watched like 10 Michigan games this year. Only one of those they actually impressed me. Ball State could also be competitive in that league if they shot well.

This year? We would’ve been lucky to go .500. Garcia wouldn’t be able to start because of height. Noveroske and Cook would’ve been manhandled weekly against Big 10 competition.

It’s one thing to steal a win or two a season. It’s another to face that level of competition on a weekly basis. I’m all for wishful thinking but you’re thinking too much with your heart and not the head

You're wrong. You're selling short how hard it is for those teams to go on the road and hang with 7300 amped up fans. Like Michigan, the better teams would struggle to beat us at home. It'd be tough for Toledo to go and beat Iowa, I get it. Clark is human though and had poor shooting nights a bunch. If she shot poorly our team was just as big and athletic as most of those teams.

Iowa State was bigger than us and won the damn Big12 based on shooting alone in 2023. What happened when they got a dose of Q and Sammy? Crumbled. We get so few shots it's not sinking in that we are better than 85% of the sport. RPI proves that. 38th of 300 or whatever.

.500 in the B1G puts us firmly in the field anyways so that's fine. We'd be a 9 seed with this exact same team.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2024 05:30 PM by UofToledoFans.)
03-17-2024 05:25 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

Newly formed WBIT takes league champs and first 4 out now. So this is the goal and not WNIT anymore. Final 4 at Butlers Hinkle field house.

32 team field.
https://www.ncaa.com/championships/baske.../eventinfo
03-17-2024 06:06 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I get what you’re saying but imagine you play a week where you are at Mich St on a Sunday, home vs Indiana on Wednesday and at Rutgers on Saturday. Then the following week you play at OSU and have a home game vs Michigan or Maryland

That would be brutal for this years team. Sure, Q and Wiard are your best players but beyond Sammi, you have no one else to score. Barnes? No. Goss? No. Rinat? Your bench would be decimated because you’d be forced to play Dykstra and Fegan more and neither is ready.

But whatever, win the WBIT tournament
03-17-2024 06:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.