Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tyson Helton, WKU Football Head Coach on state of CUSA
Bookmark and Share
Turtle Power 98 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Liberty
Helton recently appeared on G5 Football Daily's podcast, where he was asked his opinion on the state of Conference USA football compared to before the league underwent those changes. Certainly does not sound like WKU is headed to the MAC anytime soon.

"I think it's more competitive now than it was before in the old Conference USA," Helton said. "I think we had six teams leave that were probably middle-to-bottom of the league. Some were not. And we had some teams come in that people weren't very familiar with. I was, but the general public was not. I think those brands have caught now recognition...But I think the league has gotten stronger and will continue to get stronger. I think the level of competition is as high as it's ever been."

https://www.si.com/college/group-five/cu...n-kentucky
03-15-2024 02:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

theATLDawg Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Tyson Helton, WKU Football Head Coach on state of CUSA
He is right. A lot of the teams we lost were not consistently that good.was always hoping USM would get back to their old ways but it never really happened. Looks like it still hasn’t.
03-15-2024 04:21 PM
smith79jordan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Jax State
Only a matter of time until fans from the departed deadweight schools flood back here in a rage.
03-17-2024 01:16 PM
Tech80 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I hope Tech does our part to elevate CUSA in football. We have absolutely sucked so far under Coach Crummy.
03-17-2024 03:12 PM
MeanGreenStebo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNT, AAC, P6
Can’t disagree with him at alll, from a football perspective. I will always cheer for CUSA and happy the league is thriving with the new members.
03-17-2024 04:15 PM
andybible1995 Offline
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
(03-17-2024 01:16 PM)smith79jordan Wrote:  Only a matter of time until fans from the departed deadweight schools flood back here in a rage.

Don't be surprised if the remaining teams from the AAC and C-USA merge in the future.
03-18-2024 12:12 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(03-18-2024 12:12 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 01:16 PM)smith79jordan Wrote:  Only a matter of time until fans from the departed deadweight schools flood back here in a rage.

Don't be surprised if the remaining teams from the AAC and C-USA merge in the future.

That will never happen. Egos will stand in the way.
03-18-2024 01:43 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(03-18-2024 12:12 PM)andybible1995 Wrote:  

Empty-headed post.

Use your head for something besides a hat rack.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024 03:35 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
03-18-2024 03:34 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU

The AAC5 were pretty hospitable on the way out. The SBC3 was another story. While I miss some of the teams we played I’m personally pretty happy with what CUSA4.0 has turned into. I think Judy has done very well and nearly every move she has made since those teams left are the same ones I would have made in her situation. Now if we can just get Missouri St on board is be every pleased. No more than 12 though.
03-19-2024 08:14 AM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(03-19-2024 08:14 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

The AAC5 were pretty hospitable on the way out. The SBC3 was another story. While I miss some of the teams we played I’m personally pretty happy with what CUSA4.0 has turned into. I think Judy has done very well and nearly every move she has made since those teams left are the same ones I would have made in her situation. Now if we can just get Missouri St on board is be every pleased. No more than 12 though.

^^^This
03-19-2024 08:22 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

I don't really fault any team for choosing to depart. And thus far, I agree the league has rebounded well. If we can land Missouri State and stop then I think we can really build something. If we keep expanding I think we are going to shoot ourselves in the foot.
03-19-2024 08:35 AM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.

Speaking of Judy, she did not look well whilst handing out the championship trophies on Saturday. Hope her health is OK.
03-19-2024 09:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
freshtop Offline
All American

(03-19-2024 09:29 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  

Speaking of Judy, she did not look well whilst handing out the championship trophies on Saturday. Hope her health is OK.

I noted in another thread that she is not only being well compensated now, the league is also putting a sizeable amount into a retirement fund for her. A change from year's past (based on tax records). May be a sign she is ready to hang it up.
03-19-2024 09:35 AM
jones682 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State

Key word for you "nearly" 05-stirthepot
03-19-2024 07:35 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt

Hold my beer!

Definitely watching from afar and still rooting for CUSA.
First concern of course was “how will the league survive without any Owls?” But the Kennesaw add answers that question proactively.
Really my only disappointment with 4.0 was the end of the big blue curtain.

But, hey, remember…
“We’ll always have Frisco”
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2024 07:23 AM by owl at the moon.)
03-20-2024 07:22 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

(03-20-2024 07:22 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  

Hold my beer!

Definitely watching from afar and still rooting for CUSA.
First concern of course was “how will the league survive without any Owls?” But the Kennesaw add answers that question proactively.
Really my only disappointment with 4.0 was the end of the big blue curtain.

But, hey, remember…
“We’ll always have Frisco”

You will have to forgive some bias on the part of Hilltopper fans. I think we prefer Huntsville over Frisco.
03-20-2024 07:32 AM
Advertisement

smith79jordan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Jax State
(03-19-2024 07:35 PM)jones682 Wrote:  

Key word for you "nearly" 05-stirthepot

Yeah, inviting kennesuck state community college is her only mistake since the turnover.04-chairshot
03-20-2024 09:15 AM
theATLDawg Offline
All American

I Root For:
I have to say that Judy’s addition of Kenny was the only head scratcher. She must have been assured that they were ready to sink a lot of money into getting up to speed. I also think the mouse wanted Atlanta. You look at Mizz State and wonder what’s taking them so long. They must just not have the money. The fact thatKenny jumped on board so quickly must mean that they have more than enough
03-20-2024 10:17 AM
EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Sam Houston State
I think CUSA/Judy learned their lesson last time around. Fewer adds centered around unfulfilled market potential. More focus on athletic success and department (not just university) growth, as well as fanbases and support. Some need to be caught up in certain areas, but not sure you could’ve drawn up a better “starting five” of FCS candidates. JSU, Delaware and Mo State are all examples of “what took you so long?”…

Recall that Missouri State and Delaware had NO interest in CUSA just a few years ago.

I like Kennesaw long term. People can hate. They’ve got the resources to be successful. I’m skeptical about basketball but have also watched them build a startup football program into a FCS contender in a decades time. Let’s hope their stadium project gets off the ground soon and that their basketball team returns to form.

I’d give Judy get flowers for the additions, especially if MSU is aboard, but I’m biased so that’s probably something better determined by the fans of legacy members.
03-20-2024 10:51 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

(03-20-2024 10:17 AM)theATLDawg Wrote:  I have to say that Judy’s addition of Kenny was the only head scratcher. She must have been assured that they were ready to sink a lot of money into getting up to speed. I also think the mouse wanted Atlanta. You look at Mizz State and wonder what’s taking them so long. They must just not have the money. The fact thatKenny jumped on board so quickly must mean that they have more than enough

KSU is the big outlier so far in terms of readiness. They have at least had some recent FCS success in their very short history. The downward turn right as the move up is a bit concerning, but might just be a byproduct of redshirting players and throwing together schedules haphazardly.

I have zero confidence in their hoops program. 1 winning season ever. .320 winning percentage. Need to see them start investing in success.
03-20-2024 11:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.