Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UC, Utah Grads Tops in “Unicorn” Creation
Bookmark and Share
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
UC, Utah Grads Tops in “Unicorn” Creation
https://bnnbreaking.com/breaking-news/ed...ford-study

University of Cincinnati, Utah Outpace Ivy Leagues in Birthing Unicorns, Reveals Stanford Study Stanford research overturns the belief in Ivy League's monopoly over unicorn startups, spotlighting the University of Cincinnati and Utah as new leaders.

In a surprising turn of events, recent research from Stanford University has shed light on an unexpected trend in the startup world. Contrary to common belief, Ivy League schools are no longer the primary breeding grounds for unicorns—startups valued at over a billion dollars. Instead, the University of Cincinnati and the University of Utah have emerged as significant players, overshadowing their prestigious counterparts.

Unlikely Champions in Unicorn Genesis

The study, spearheaded by Ilya Strebulaev, a professor at Stanford's Graduate School of Business, meticulously analyzed the backgrounds of founders from 1,110 U.S.-based, VC-backed unicorns and 1,028 other VC-backed companies. Findings revealed that founders affiliated with the University of Cincinnati were 3.3 times more likely to establish a unicorn than the average, with the University of Utah not far behind at a 3.2 times likelihood. This stark contrast with Stanford's own 1.6 times average underscores a significant shift in the entrepreneurial landscape.

Methodology and Insights

The study's approach involved comparing the educational backgrounds of unicorn founders against a randomly selected group of VC-backed startups. Remarkably, the University of Cincinnati was associated with 1% of all unicorns examined, compared to just 0.3% of the control group. This methodology allowed for a clear comparison, highlighting the universities' disproportionate impact on unicorn formation. The fluctuation in rankings from previous studies suggests a dynamic and evolving influence of educational institutions on the startup ecosystem.

Implications for Entrepreneurial Ecosystems

The findings challenge the conventional wisdom that elite, Ivy League institutions are the primary nurseries for high-impact entrepreneurship. Instead, they highlight the role of broader educational environments in fostering startup success. This shift prompts a reevaluation of how we perceive the relationship between academia and entrepreneurship, especially considering the potential for universities to nurture the next generation of business innovators outside the traditional Ivy League nexus.

This revelation not only showcases the University of Cincinnati and the University of Utah as pivotal players in the entrepreneurial sphere but also ignites a conversation about the evolving dynamics of startup success. As we delve deeper into what makes a startup ecosystem thrive, it's clear that diverse educational backgrounds contribute significantly to the landscape of innovation and enterprise. This study's insights offer a fresh perspective on the pathways to achieving unicorn status, emphasizing the importance of broadening our view beyond the Ivy League to uncover where true entrepreneurial talent is being cultivated.

03-02-2024 01:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

RE: UC, Utah Grads Tops in “Unicorn” Creation
Hopefully these UC grads give back to the University.

03-02-2024 01:08 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
And Utah fans said we were part of a Truck Stop Conference 03-wink.

03-02-2024 07:17 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-02-2024 07:17 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  And Utah fans said we were part of a Truck Stop Conference 03-wink.

This was an excellent find and great posting. And yes, how humorous that two (new) Big 12 schools are leading the pack in this metric.

What is still being built at the new MLK interchange with I-71 for digital futures and other entrepreneurial efforts (nearby at the 1819 Innovation Hub) all plays into the idea of UC being a hub for such efforts. I feel our university has strong leadership right now and UC if far from reaching its zenith in terms of research, enrollment, and national profile.

03-02-2024 09:52 AM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

Ivy League aint about smarts. It's about money.

03-02-2024 01:57 PM
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

Who are these grads and what are their educational backgrounds at UC? I want to know more.

How does a blue collar public university far outside the key venture capital hotbeds kick Stanford’s and Harvard’s butts?

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024 02:44 PM by BearcatsUC.)
03-02-2024 02:10 PM
Bearcat 1985 Offline
Special Teams

(03-02-2024 01:57 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Ivy League aint about smarts. It's about money.

It's about both. Yes, there are plenty of legacies and the children of billionaires and Senators that aren't any smarter than the average UC student. But there are also plenty of extremely brilliant hard working kids who were valedictorians of extremely competitive high schools, had close to perfect SAT scores and are majoring in things like astrophysics

03-02-2024 05:41 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I dug a bit more into the study and now understand that it includes both those who studied or worked at their respective universities.

Some comments I read note that a Harvard or Stanford have exponentially more startups than Cincinnati. There were different takes on what that means, but I suppose the VC world is more likely to shell out bucks to a prestigious school grad than a Cincinnati grad and maybe a Cincinnati grad gets VC only if it’s a sure thing.

I guess it’s nice to know that IF a Cincinnati grad gets the VC, he/she will be more likely than any other to produce a unicorn.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2024 11:38 PM by BearcatsUC.)
03-02-2024 11:37 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

This is the list of UC unicorns:

GitHub - Christopher Wanstrath - drop out
Zscaler - Jay Chaudhry
NorthPoint Communications - Michael Malaga
Intrexon - Thomas Reed
Allbirds - Tim Brown
Ruckus Wireless Inc. - Victor Shtrom
Hyzon - Gary Robb
Archaea Energy - Charlie Anderson
Rebellion Defense - Chris Lynch
Pacaso - Austin Allison
Resilience - Patrick Yang Ph.D

03-03-2024 05:10 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-03-2024 05:10 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  This is the list of UC unicorns:

GitHub - Christopher Wanstrath - drop out
Zscaler - Jay Chaudhry
NorthPoint Communications - Michael Malaga
Intrexon - Thomas Reed
Allbirds - Tim Brown
Ruckus Wireless Inc. - Victor Shtrom
Hyzon - Gary Robb
Archaea Energy - Charlie Anderson
Rebellion Defense - Chris Lynch
Pacaso - Austin Allison
Resilience - Patrick Yang Ph.D

I don’t want to turn this into politics, but Chris Wansrath and Vivek Ramaswamy graduated from the same class at St. X. Talk about some serious dough to showcase at the 20 year reunion.

03-03-2024 06:11 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

Ive only checked three - Anderson, Allison, and Robb - all three are engineers, with Allison also having a UC law degree. Anderson extracts gas from Rumpke dumps, Robb develops hydrogen vehicles, and Allison sold dotloop to Zillow.

None of those businesses are based near Cincinnati

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2024 08:52 PM by BearcatsUC.)
03-03-2024 06:31 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

Shtrom has a degree in electrical engineering and computer science. Also has a PhD.

https://www.uc.edu/news/articles/2021/03...htrom.html

03-03-2024 06:45 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

Lynch develops software for national security and defense out of the DC -Baltimore area. He is a College of Business grad.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lynchseattle

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2024 06:49 PM by BearcatsUC.)
03-03-2024 06:48 PM
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

Wanstrath briefly studied English at UC. His estimated net worth is $1.8-$2B.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Wanstrath

03-03-2024 06:53 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

Reed got his PhD from UC in molecular biology. Masters from Wright State.

03-03-2024 08:51 PM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(03-02-2024 01:08 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  Hopefully these UC grads give back to the University.

This! UC needs to leverage these new money grads. It would be nice if one or two were UC sports fans.

03-04-2024 08:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(03-04-2024 08:51 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  
(03-02-2024 01:08 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  Hopefully these UC grads give back to the University.

This! UC needs to leverage these new money grads. It would be nice if one or two were UC sports fans.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest the Kelce brothers have been the most generous former student athletes UC has ever had.

Let's hope these "new money" grads include at least some who will become the rising generation of elite level donors for UC. It's hard to replace a Lindner, a Nippert, or a Corbett when they pass after giving so generously to our university.

03-04-2024 03:23 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

Tim Brown is a New Zealander who played soccer at UC from 2001-2004. His is the only company I was familiar with as I have purchased a couple pairs of Allbirds. I was unaware that it’s a billion dollar company. Brown is a DAAP grad.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2024 08:20 PM by BearcatsUC.)
03-05-2024 08:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.