Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Turf
Bookmark and Share
Red Dog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
New Turf
Hope everyone is doing well. It has been a quiet offseason. Just patiently waiting for spring ball and summer camp...

Does anyone know when the new turf is going to be installed in Huskie Stadium? I wonder if they're going to conduct most of the spring practices inside at the chessick center. Not sure how long installing new turf takes but I gotta imagine they'll have to work around that. Can't wait to see the new field! Long overdue.

Go Huskies
02-27-2024 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
RE: New Turf
A no-brainer fund raiser for the athletic department - sell pieces of the old turf. I want a huge piece for my garage lounge!
02-27-2024 09:06 PM
nbcards Offline
Special Teams

(02-27-2024 09:06 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  A no-brainer fund raiser for the athletic department - sell pieces of the old turf. I want a huge piece for my garage lounge!

Anything that is a no brainer to us, the athletic dept won't do.
02-27-2024 09:15 PM
prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
Better have the HUSKIE F'N DOG smack dab in the middle. Not a fan of the previous.
02-27-2024 09:40 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(02-27-2024 09:06 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  A no-brainer fund raiser for the athletic department - sell pieces of the old turf. I want a huge piece for my garage lounge!

I don't think you can just cut that stuff up into pieces. It's filled in with a silicone sand type stuff that would most likely need a backing and frame and would still get everywhere.
02-27-2024 09:58 PM
JoeNovak Offline
1st String

(02-27-2024 09:40 PM)prairiedawg Wrote:  Better have the HUSKIE F'N DOG smack dab in the middle. Not a fan of the previous.

100%. This is what most fans want. But for some stupid reason this athletic department is obsessed with block letters and no huskie. It’s a crap marketing strategy with zero identity. They just messed up the basketball floor. I hope they don’t mess up the football field again. Bring back the huskie or the fighting huskie logo at the 50 yard line
02-27-2024 10:13 PM
Advertisement

prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
(02-27-2024 10:13 PM)JoeNovak Wrote:  
(02-27-2024 09:40 PM)prairiedawg Wrote:  Better have the HUSKIE F'N DOG smack dab in the middle. Not a fan of the previous.

100%. This is what most fans want. But for some stupid reason this athletic department is obsessed with block letters and no huskie. It’s a crap marketing strategy with zero identity. They just messed up the basketball floor. I hope they don’t mess up the football field again. Bring back the huskie or the fighting huskie logo at the 50 yard line

Politicians and their lackeys pushing state pride when there isn't any!! They destroyed that years ago. Put the the f'n Huskie Dog alone or with the Huskie/ NIU helmet logo at the 50. Don't pay your buddy or cousin thousands of dollars to figure that out.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2024 10:32 PM by prairiedawg.)
02-27-2024 10:31 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Agreed, get rid of that dumb Illinois outline. Don't need it anymore after IHSA decided to blow off NIU and DeKalb for the playoff games anyway.
02-27-2024 11:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU75 Offline
All American

(02-27-2024 10:31 PM)prairiedawg Wrote:  

Politicians and their lackeys pushing state pride when there isn't any!! They destroyed that years ago. Put the the f'n Huskie Dog alone or with the Huskie/ NIU helmet logo at the 50. Don't pay your buddy or cousin thousands of dollars to figure that out.

"Somebody said or I was told." Politicians and their lackeys pushing state pride when there isn't any! Prove it or is this your opinion, prairiedawg.
02-27-2024 11:08 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
In talking to someone who sells and maintains FieldTurf in all of Illinois, found out that after 20 years our deputy AD John Cheney decided to switch to AstroTurf for Huskie Stadium. So that will be our new field. So we will have FieldTurf in our indoor facility and AstroTurf on our stadium. Seems dumb to have two different types of football surfaces. The FieldTurf would have been $600k. Sounds like we went with the lowest bidder.
03-15-2024 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(03-15-2024 04:02 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  In talking to someone who sells and maintains FieldTurf in all of Illinois, found out that after 20 years our deputy AD John Cheney decided to switch to AstroTurf for Huskie Stadium. So that will be our new field. So we will have FieldTurf in our indoor facility and AstroTurf on our stadium. Seems dumb to have two different types of football surfaces. The FieldTurf would have been $600k. Sounds like we went with the lowest bidder.

This says we have Field Turf.

https://niuhuskies.com/facilities/huskie...al%20turf.

I've been on our field. It's definitely Field Turf. I've been on Astro Turf, and there's no way that's Astro Turf. Do they even make Astro Turf anymore?
03-15-2024 05:25 PM
Advertisement

HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(03-15-2024 05:25 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(03-15-2024 04:02 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  In talking to someone who sells and maintains FieldTurf in all of Illinois, found out that after 20 years our deputy AD John Cheney decided to switch to AstroTurf for Huskie Stadium. So that will be our new field. So we will have FieldTurf in our indoor facility and AstroTurf on our stadium. Seems dumb to have two different types of football surfaces. The FieldTurf would have been $600k. Sounds like we went with the lowest bidder.

I've been on our field. It's definitely Field Turf. I've been on Astro Turf, and there's no way that's Astro Turf. Do they even make Astro Turf anymore?

Yes, they do.

https://astroturf.com/

I don’t believe whatever is being installed has been done yet, so yes, what we currently have is FieldTurf. I believe the question is what will the new turf be.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2024 05:39 PM by HuskieDave.)
03-15-2024 05:36 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(03-15-2024 05:36 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  
(03-15-2024 05:25 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  

Yes, they do.

https://astroturf.com/

I don’t believe whatever is being installed has been done yet, so yes, what we currently have is FieldTurf. I believe the question is what will the new turf be.

If it's AstroTurf. No one will play on that. It's the most awful thing ever. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to play on a surface that guarantees injury.

Just switch back to good old grass. Knowing our budget, we would just let it turn to crab grass.
03-15-2024 06:33 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

The problem here is that people are thinking AstroTurf is a thing and FieldTurf is a thing when, in actuality, both are just company names.

Per that video, Washington, Fresno State, Vanderbilt, and Appalachian State (and I'm sure there are many others), all play on AstroTurf fields.

I bet there are so many AstroTurf fields out there that it would make your head spin. And, frankly, no one here would be able to tell the difference between an AstroTurf field and a FieldTurf field.
03-15-2024 07:30 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(03-15-2024 07:30 PM)Big Red Wrote:  The problem here is that people are thinking AstroTurf is a thing and FieldTurf is a thing when, in actuality, both are just company names.

Per that video, Washington, Fresno State, Vanderbilt, and Appalachian State (and I'm sure there are many others), all play on AstroTurf fields.

I bet there are so many AstroTurf fields out there that it would make your head spin. And, frankly, no one here would be able to tell the difference between an AstroTurf field and a FieldTurf field.

Yes, it’s not like we are putting in the old carpet over concrete AstroTurf from the 90’s lol
03-15-2024 07:35 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(03-15-2024 07:35 PM)7 Wrote:  
(03-15-2024 07:30 PM)Big Red Wrote:  The problem here is that people are thinking AstroTurf is a thing and FieldTurf is a thing when, in actuality, both are just company names.

Yes, it’s not like we are putting in the old carpet over concrete AstroTurf from the 90’s lol

That's the AstroTurf I'm thinking of. Damn thing is a crime against humanity!
03-15-2024 10:42 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

Not a bad crowd.

https://astroturf.com/artifical-sports-t...ball-turf/

But yeah, BigRed is right. This isn't the old school AstroTurf. Appears to be the exact same style of artificial grass as Field Turf. Fake blades with a thick layer of rubberized pellets to allow for grip and impact absorption.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2024 10:46 PM by HawaiiToNIU.)
03-15-2024 10:43 PM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
(02-27-2024 11:08 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  

"Somebody said or I was told." Politicians and their lackeys pushing state pride when there isn't any! Prove it or is this your opinion, prairiedawg.

Everything I don’t like is a conspiracy. The field turf at Huskie Stadium is painted in a way that manipulates our youth into liking the communists! Bring back the huskie dog before politicians change the mascot to Abe Lincoln!
03-17-2024 08:39 AM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(03-17-2024 08:39 AM)Big_Man Wrote:  

Everything I don’t like is a conspiracy. The field turf at Huskie Stadium is painted in a way that manipulates our youth into liking the communists! Bring back the huskie dog before politicians change the mascot to Abe Lincoln!

Abe Lincoln would be cool tho
03-17-2024 10:59 AM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
(03-17-2024 10:59 AM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  
(03-17-2024 08:39 AM)Big_Man Wrote:  
(02-27-2024 10:13 PM)JoeNovak Wrote:  100%. This is what most fans want. But for some stupid reason this athletic department is obsessed with block letters and no huskie. It’s a crap marketing strategy with zero identity. They just messed up the basketball floor. I hope they don’t mess up the football field again. Bring back the huskie or the fighting huskie logo at the 50 yard line

Abe Lincoln would be cool tho

Except it might lead to state pride. These corrupt politicians will paint every football field with images of Illinois to brainwash everyone!
03-17-2024 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.