Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Architecting a conference suitable for FSU
Bookmark and Share
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
Architecting a conference suitable for FSU
Not sure what the B1G sees as the long game, but believe it or not most FSU fans are preferring the B1G, but how do you get the other hold outs on the B1G side?

1) FSU knows they cannot be THE B1G game for OSU or Michigan, but it would be a natural vs PSU. If that is a guaranteed annual, then its a great selling point.

2) Miami and GT should be in the long term plans. It's possible they have no desire to move now, but the door should be open to them. Both are desirable opponents to FSU, both get the B1G in fertile recruiting areas. Clemson is SEC or bust, don't bother.

3) I can take it or leave it with UNC, they should only be filler if there is a need to add a team from this region. UVA is a no go, they do poorly in the tv ratings and don't sell tickets for FSU, UM and GT. UVA would also dilute the recruiting pool from UMd, allow UMd to become the premier mid-Atlantic destination.

4) 8 conference games are preferable to 9. FSU has a rivalry with UF and also likes to play 1 other marquee OOC game. 8 conference games give us that flexibility.

Suggestion: 3 divisions of 7 or 4 divisions of 6. Perhaps if the B1G added Stanford and ASU that could make up a western division, Kansas could also be added, prefer them over UNC as the basketball add.

FSU, UM, GT, UMd, RU, PSU

OSU, Mich, MSU, NW, Pur, Ind

Illi, Wisc, Minni, Neb, Iowa, Kansas

USC, UCLA, UO, UW, Stan, ASU
02-24-2024 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
RE: Architecting a conference suitable for FSU
(02-24-2024 03:46 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Not sure what the B1G sees as the long game, but believe it or not most FSU fans are preferring the B1G, but how do you get the other hold outs on the B1G side?

1) FSU knows they cannot be THE B1G game for OSU or Michigan, but it would be a natural vs PSU. If that is a guaranteed annual, then its a great selling point.

2) Miami and GT should be in the long term plans. It's possible they have no desire to move now, but the door should be open to them. Both are desirable opponents to FSU, both get the B1G in fertile recruiting areas. Clemson is SEC or bust, don't bother.

3) I can take it or leave it with UNC, they should only be filler if there is a need to add a team from this region. UVA is a no go, they do poorly in the tv ratings and don't sell tickets for FSU, UM and GT. UVA would also dilute the recruiting pool from UMd, allow UMd to become the premier mid-Atlantic destination.

4) 8 conference games are preferable to 9. FSU has a rivalry with UF and also likes to play 1 other marquee OOC game. 8 conference games give us that flexibility.

Suggestion: 3 divisions of 7 or 4 divisions of 6. Perhaps if the B1G added Stanford and ASU that could make up a western division, Kansas could also be added, prefer them over UNC as the basketball add.

One thing I'll point out that is complete nonsense out on the realignment board is attendance. A certain A&M fan claims you can't have good attendance being in the BIG. Well, that's not true! Ohio State, Michigan, PSU, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon and even Michigan State fans travel really well. As a matter of fact, according to the NCAA site, 5 BIG schools were at 100% attendance to 4 SEC schools. Sure, the bottom schools of the SEC draw better than the BIG bottom dwellers, but certain posters like to make it out as the BIG is just horrendous with attendance.

Look, if FSU stays put in the ACC, goes to the SEC, or whatever, that's perfectly fine with me. I will say, being in the BIG, you would be a destination game that many here would look forward to making the trip to.
02-24-2024 04:26 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

FSU is in the middle of a $250-300m renovation that will add chair backs, luxury boxes and amendities. It will reduce capacity to 72k. FSU will not have problems filling Doak no matter what P2 conference. Florida in general is a retirement place for northerners with money, Tallahassee is not the typical retirement destination, but if FSU joins the B1G it would give the northerners another place to consider. Perhaps this is the plan all along, I don’t know.

I don’t think FSU is worried about a few million dollars less annually if we are comparing SEC vs B1G. FSU has always done more with less which means they can do more with more. The biggest concern for me is becoming a second rate version of UF while in the SEC. ACC membership was a blessing in disguise, FSU really thrived during those years in large part by not standing in UF’s shadow. ESPN is another problem and they cannot be trusted, FSU might just be done with them.

What FSU has done for Clemson, FSU can do for GT. I hope GT is invited to the party and they accept, it’s no coincidence that their brand gradually went into the toilet when they were separated into the opposite division. Miami is down, but they still draw well.

UMd will be the biggest benefactors from my suggested divisions. Take away FSU and Miami from the ACC, stick them in the same division with UMd and they can cherry pick mid-Atlantic talent.
02-24-2024 05:26 PM
NotoriousOne Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Michigan
(02-24-2024 04:26 PM)cubucks Wrote:  
(02-24-2024 03:46 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Not sure what the B1G sees as the long game, but believe it or not most FSU fans are preferring the B1G, but how do you get the other hold outs on the B1G side?

One thing I'll point out that is complete nonsense out on the realignment board is attendance. A certain A&M fan claims you can't have good attendance being in the BIG. Well, that's not true! Ohio State, Michigan, PSU, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon and even Michigan State fans travel really well. As a matter of fact, according to the NCAA site, 5 BIG schools were at 100% attendance to 4 SEC schools. Sure, the bottom schools of the SEC draw better than the BIG bottom dwellers, but certain posters like to make it out as the BIG is just horrendous with attendance.

Look, if FSU stays put in the ACC, goes to the SEC, or whatever, that's perfectly fine with me. I will say, being in the BIG, you would be a destination game that many here would look forward to making the trip to.

I would welcome you to the BIG with open arms. Interesting to hear a good portion of the FSU fan base is pro BIG. Let’s get this done with Miami. Would love to add ND and GT too.
02-24-2024 05:36 PM
ENCterrapin Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Maryland
(02-24-2024 05:26 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  FSU is in the middle of a $250-300m renovation that will add chair backs, luxury boxes and amendities. It will reduce capacity to 72k. FSU will not have problems filling Doak no matter what P2 conference. Florida in general is a retirement place for northerners with money, Tallahassee is not the typical retirement destination, but if FSU joins the B1G it would give the northerners another place to consider. Perhaps this is the plan all along, I don’t know.

I don’t think FSU is worried about a few million dollars less annually if we are comparing SEC vs B1G. FSU has always done more with less which means they can do more with more. The biggest concern for me is becoming a second rate version of UF while in the SEC. ACC membership was a blessing in disguise, FSU really thrived during those years in large part by not standing in UF’s shadow. ESPN is another problem and they cannot be trusted, FSU might just be done with them.

What FSU has done for Clemson, FSU can do for GT. I hope GT is invited to the party and they accept, it’s no coincidence that their brand gradually went into the toilet when they were separated into the opposite division. Miami is down, but they still draw well.

UMd will be the biggest benefactors from my suggested divisions. Take away FSU and Miami from the ACC, stick them in the same division with UMd and they can cherry pick mid-Atlantic talent.

Personally, UVA and UNC will always be my top 2. UMD should have always been with those 2, but I doubt it happens given the current landscape.

I'm pulling hard for y'all with Miami or GT...maybe even USF(Skyhawk is winning me over on that option).

Any school from these states being added would be great for my school and a Florida presence would be great for the conference.

I always thought FSU should have left when UMD did. Best of luck with the lawsuit.04-cheers
02-24-2024 08:55 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10

Some thoughts:

a.) I dunno about your comments about Virginia. From what I was reading in the past, Maryland has been wanting more local rivals to be added (rather than more out west). Now of course the FSU, Miami, GT, combination would presumably help with that, but Virginia is an actual Maryland rival of the past.

Where I think it's possible that the Big10 doesn't land Virginia, is if the SEC really pushes to pair them with NC. I think in the larger scheme of things that the NC rivalry likely outweighs the Maryland one, if it came down to that for Virginia.

b.) If the SEC takes NC/VA, I think Duke is a guilty opportunity for the Big10.

I really like the idea of the Big10 adding Kansas and Duke, probably more than any other adds, outside the Florida additions. Basketball is just such a big deal in the Big10. I can understand that warm-weather states tend to prefer football and baseball, but up north, it's basketball.

c.) I just don't know what the heck is going on with Stanford.

One would have thought they would be a shoe-in.

I understand there is a concern about recruiting in California.

But otherwise, all I can think, is that there are internal/interpersonal issues going on.

I understand that the SF market likely won't support the Big10 adding both Cal and Stanford, but I would have thought that Stanford by themselves woulfd get an invite.

So all that said, I don't think they join the Big10 on the near term. I think they'll join at the hip with ND and wait out whatever is going to happen.

d.) I think AZ and ASU will be added together. This is just a case where the sum is worth more than the parts.

I mean, think about it: before ASU made AAU - even though they had many things which could appeal to the Big10 - everyone was talking that it would be AZ, not State, who would get the Big10 invite.

But I think between them, they do. Each has plusses and minuses, that by adding the other, are counter-acted.

And, they help soften the travel concerns of the conference, in particular the eastern schools.

So I think the first wave probably looks more like:

FSU*, UM*, Duke*, UMd, RU, PSU

Illi, Wisc, Minni, Neb, Iowa, Kansas*

USC, UCLA, UO, UW, Arizona*, ASU*

With Stanford, GT, Colorado, and either Utah or Virginia (or even ND if things go really off the tracks), waiting in the wings.

-----

And for fun, here's what adding FSU, plus all the AAU in the ACC and the Big12 (except Cal), might look like:

UM*, FSU*, GT, Duke*, NC*, Virginia*, UMd, RU

PSU, Pitt*, OSU, Mich, MSU, ND*, Pur, Ind

Illi, NW, Wisc, Minni, Iowa, Neb, Kansas*, Colorado*

UW, UO, Stanford*, USC, UCLA, ASU*, Arizona*, Utah*
02-24-2024 09:06 PM
Advertisement

Strut Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sparty aka MSU
(02-24-2024 05:36 PM)NotoriousOne Wrote:  
(02-24-2024 04:26 PM)cubucks Wrote:  

I would welcome you to the BIG with open arms. Interesting to hear a good portion of the FSU fan base is pro BIG. Let’s get this done with Miami. Would love to add ND and GT too.
Ditto
02-24-2024 09:47 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

What do you see as being the end game with B1G realignment? Do you expand to the point that divisions become mini-conferences?
02-24-2024 10:22 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

(02-24-2024 10:22 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  What do you see as being the end game with B1G realignment? Do you expand to the point that divisions become mini-conferences?

If they go to 24 or bigger, dividing into 2 conference divisions would seem to make sense - either by the Mississippi river, or by the eastern time zone line (depending on who they add).
02-25-2024 12:42 AM
NotoriousOne Offline
2nd String

(02-25-2024 12:42 AM)Skyhawk Wrote:  
(02-24-2024 10:22 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  What do you see as being the end game with B1G realignment? Do you expand to the point that divisions become mini-conferences?

If they go to 24 or bigger, dividing into 2 conference divisions would seem to make sense - either by the Mississippi river, or by the eastern time zone line (depending on who they add).

While I think that’s possible for all other sports, I think the flex protect schedule renders divisions irrelevant for football. It allows the conference to balance schedules while getting the best games for tv. I don’t think I see that changing.
02-25-2024 09:41 AM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

(02-25-2024 09:41 AM)NotoriousOne Wrote:  

While I think that’s possible for all other sports, I think the flex protect schedule renders divisions irrelevant for football. It allows the conference to balance schedules while getting the best games for tv. I don’t think I see that changing.

Divisions don't "need" to apply to all sports in a conference...
02-25-2024 10:09 AM
Advertisement

NotoriousOne Offline
2nd String

(02-25-2024 10:09 AM)Skyhawk Wrote:  
(02-25-2024 09:41 AM)NotoriousOne Wrote:  

Divisions don't "need" to apply to all sports in a conference...

Completely agree. I was simply saying you were likely correct for all other sports but that football might not go back to it.
02-25-2024 12:20 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

Not a fan of a UVA add, but if the B1G has to get a friend for UMd then I'd suggest Duke. They are not politically attached to UNC, can enhance basketball, UMd is still the most desirable football destination in the mid-Atlantic region.
02-26-2024 08:26 AM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(02-26-2024 08:26 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Not a fan of a UVA add, but if the B1G has to get a friend for UMd then I'd suggest Duke. They are not politically attached to UNC, can enhance basketball, UMd is still the most desirable football destination in the mid-Atlantic region.
Yep, no Virginia for me too. Maryland has that area covered, and we don't need a duplicate.
02-26-2024 09:21 AM
ENCterrapin Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Maryland
(02-26-2024 08:26 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Not a fan of a UVA add, but if the B1G has to get a friend for UMd then I'd suggest Duke. They are not politically attached to UNC, can enhance basketball, UMd is still the most desirable football destination in the mid-Atlantic region.

I just don't see the UVA addition at this point, even if I want it. I think we all know the UNC situation/complication.

I would gladly take Duke. I'm desperate for a North Carolina school in the B1G given my location. Oh, and the smack talk would be glorious if Duke came aboard. My worry is that I don't see the "big boys" of the conference being ok with conference football games at Wallace Wade Stadium.

Nebraska and Rutgers fans, please correct me if I'm wrong, but be happy if you come with anybody from the ACC. 3 other schools have been waiting for a possible addition of an old conference foe since joining the B1G.

I would prefer FSU with Miami, but I don't see ESPN allowing both to leave. One will be in the SEC if both leave the ACC imo.

It's hard for me to accurately judge GT, because I want them in and I know I overvalue them.

Maybe it is the shocker and it's FSU with Notre Dame, but I will believe it when I see it.
Also wouldn't be surprised if it's FSU with a 4-corner/Kansas.

The 20th school is a shot in the dark without knowing the end game for both the B1G and SEC. Is it a 20 school conference, a 24 etc?
02-26-2024 02:01 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

If the ACC starts to unravel, then perhaps Duke coming in at half a share would seem like a life line for them and a bargain for the B1G. Duke has shown in the recent past that they can be quiet competitive in football when they want to be.
02-26-2024 04:02 PM
Advertisement

Skyhawk Offline
All American

(02-26-2024 04:02 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  If the ACC starts to unravel, then perhaps Duke coming in at half a share would seem like a life line for them and a bargain for the B1G. Duke has shown in the recent past that they can be quiet competitive in football when they want to be.

Interesting idea.

Could offer the same to Kansas.

It could be similar to the deal with Nebraska.

I like the idea of the next few additions being in pairs, and a balance of east/west additions:

Duke & Kansas

Miami & either FSU or USF

Arizona & Arizona State

That gets us to 24.

After that, I think it depends on who the SEC has added (if anyone).

Though Colorado/Stanford, and 2 east coast schools seem likely at that point.
02-26-2024 04:17 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I think Florida St, Miami, and ND would be a suitable addition to make Florida St happy. Maybe UVA, UNC, and GT to compliment and function as a bridge.
02-27-2024 07:58 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2024 07:58 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I think Florida St, Miami, and ND would be a suitable addition to make Florida St happy. Maybe UVA, UNC, and GT to compliment and function as a bridge.

Yes, but I'd be interested in knowing who would be FSU's annual opponents. If ND joins the B1G and FSU plays them once in 8 years, then it's not a big deal for FSU.
02-27-2024 08:42 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

(02-27-2024 08:42 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  
(02-27-2024 07:58 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I think Florida St, Miami, and ND would be a suitable addition to make Florida St happy. Maybe UVA, UNC, and GT to compliment and function as a bridge.

Yes, but I'd be interested in knowing who would be FSU's annual opponents. If ND joins the B1G and FSU plays them once in 8 years, then it's not a big deal for FSU.

Miami?
02-27-2024 09:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.