Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Candidate distances
Bookmark and Share
whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
Candidate distances
If online rumors are to be believed (and why shouldn't they?) we are down to three solid candidates (UMass, Missouri State, and Tarleton State) for the remaining CUSA slot(s), plus an additional two dark horses (EKU and SFA) who are high on some fans' personal wish lists.

I'm including all five here, only because there's always a chance that internet message board fan chatter could be wrong (like that ever happens), and EKU and SFA could actually be the leading contenders.

When discussing realignment, it's sometimes hard to remember which schools are nearby. Just because the schools are in neighboring states doesn't mean they're close, natural rivals. A prime example is FIU, which is not at all near JSU and KSU, despite being in a neighboring state. Our Texas fans are also intimately familiar with this, without even having to cross a state line, as UTEP is as far away from SHSU as Kennesaw State is from Delaware.

I arbitrarily chose 600 miles as the threshold for "nearby" distance. We're a national conference, not a bus league, so the scale should reflect that. I don't usually consider a game "within driving distance" unless it's within about 300 miles, but you can make a 600-mile drive in one day, with a few well-planned meal and bathroom breaks. Get much above that, and you're probably going to be looking at a two-day trip with a hotel stay along the way.

Of the leading candidates, Missouri State leads the way, with five current CUSA schools within 600 miles, along with fellow candidate Tarleton:

La Tech (380 mi)
WKU (440 mi)
MTSU (465 mi)
* Tarleton St (520 mi)
SHSU (585 mi)
Jax St (590 mi)

Tarleton State drops the schools in the center of the footprint, but picks up the far western schools, for a total of four current CUSA schools:

SHSU (220 mi)
La Tech (360 mi)
* Mo State (520 mi)
UTEP (550 mi)
NMSU (590 mi)

Finally, UMass isn't close to very many, but they do give the far eastern schools some company:

Delaware (300 mi)
Liberty (570 mi)

Of the dark horse candidates, it's easy to see why Eastern Kentucky is a popular choice for those favoring a more regional approach to expansion, with six CUSA schools within the threshold:

WKU (165 mi)
MTSU (210 mi)
Kennesaw St (330 mi)
Jax St (345 mi)
Liberty (400 mi)
Delaware (595 mi)

Lastly, Stephen F. Austin comes in with two CUSA schools and two fellow candidates under the 600-mile threshold. In fairness to the Lumberjacks, they're crazy close to both of the CUSA schools, and have three additional schools just over the 600-mile threshold, with Jax State at 615 miles, and MTSU and WKU about 50-75 miles beyond that:

SHSU (95 mi)
La Tech (160 mi)
* Tarleton State (240 mi)
* Mo State (495 mi)
02-13-2024 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
RE: Candidate distances
Appreciate you doing this. As a fan do think 400 miles is my limit for a game without flying. As from UMass to Buffalo is 385 miles and once drove to Olean, NY (St Bonaventure. However football and basketball teams fly to Buffalo. Perhaps Missouri State to MTSU and WKU could be possible with good weather and driving at least the speed limit.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 12:50 PM by Steve1981.)
02-13-2024 12:47 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(02-13-2024 12:47 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Appreciate you doing this. As a fan do think 400 miles is my limit for a game without flying. As from UMass to Buffalo is 385 miles and once drove to Olean, NY (St Bonaventure. However football and basketball teams fly to Buffalo. Perhaps Missouri State to MTSU and WKU could be possible with good weather and driving at least the speed limit.

I have driven through Springfield, MO on a road trip to Tulsa a few years back. It is a pretty easy drive from Kentucky.
02-13-2024 12:56 PM
Advertisement

R40 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Prairie View A&M
It's pretty crazy that Missouri State is closer for Tarleton than UTEP.
02-13-2024 01:35 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(02-13-2024 12:56 PM)freshtop Wrote:  
(02-13-2024 12:47 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Appreciate you doing this. As a fan do think 400 miles is my limit for a game without flying. As from UMass to Buffalo is 385 miles and once drove to Olean, NY (St Bonaventure. However football and basketball teams fly to Buffalo. Perhaps Missouri State to MTSU and WKU could be possible with good weather and driving at least the speed limit.

I have driven through Springfield, MO on a road trip to Tulsa a few years back. It is a pretty easy drive from Kentucky.

In my youth, use to have no problem driving from Fort Bragg to my hometown 737 miles. That said., often would have help and drop people off on the way. It was kind of eerie dropping people off in New York City and as they left the car, how do I get back on the highway. They'd tell me and add in, dont stop.
02-13-2024 02:39 PM
whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
The longest drive I ever did was from my house near Dothan, Ala., to my sister-in-law's house in Virginia Beach, during which we got a call that my wife's grandmother had passed away, so after arriving, we all got right back in the car and drove to Sandusky, Ohio.

That was 1,400 miles without sleep. I was worthless in Sandusky.

We actually make the Va Beach trip (just under 800 miles) once or twice a year. It's not a fun drive, but it's doable.
02-13-2024 04:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.